• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve been seeing that Chrono Cross’s soundtrack is just a remastering and not re-arranging or orchestral tracks.

Perhaps the big project Mitsuda has been working on has been Xenoblade. Tho remastering a soundtrack must be a lot of hard work too. I honestly tho Cross was gonna have a lot of re-arrangements and whatnot.
Oh yeah I thought for sure the “my next project will be revealed in Feb” was about this. He has top billing on it no?

I'm leaning toward it being seamless largely because of the boat. That doesn't necessarily mean it would be open world though, at least not to the degree X was, I think they'll still gate progression in some way tied to the story. But the boat has me daydreaming about Monolith trying to implement the classic JRPG structure of gradually opening the world as you get more vehicles - something that tends not to be done as much or as freely in 3D games as it is in top-down pixel art games.
This would be AMAZING. Something people have been begging modern FF for but they still haven’t been able to do

They make an FF game for those that like mostly open progression, you just have to pay monthly for it.

I mean, that was obvious

Bothers me when people say this. Not everything is obvious to everybody. It's only obvious if you have enough information. Maybe they didn't know what you know. Help them know instead of talking down to them.

It's obvious to me why your crappy code is segfaulting, but it's not obvious to you. I'm not going to say, "I mean, it's obvious". I'm going to help you learn.

Bothers me when people say this. Not everything is obvious to everybody. It's only obvious if you have enough information. Maybe they didn't know what you know. Help them know instead of talking down to them.

It's obvious to me why your crappy code is segfaulting, but it's not obvious to you. I'm not going to say, "I mean, it's obvious". I'm going to help you learn.

I explained it right there in my post why I thought it is obvious. I don't want to talk down to anyone, so sorry that it came off that way.

The delivery and timbre of the line "You could try," sounds similar to Rex, I don't know what you're hearing if you think it "doesn't sound anything like" it.

Rex has a way thicker accent than Noah, so he never crossed my mind. Again, sounds closer to Shulk if anything.

In regards to the soundtrack, seems like the recording took way more time than the XC2 OST going by Mitsuda's blog. Recording lasted from March 2021 until around the end of the year, which could speak to an even bigger soundtrack than the one in 2. I think COVID restrictions were additionally a big reason it took that long, though.

He also shared some thoughts regarding the music from time to time which are almost definitely about the music he recorded for XC3. I think they got posted before, but I'm sure some haven't heard of them:

I listened to the recordings yesterday in my home environment, and they were, to put it mildly, too good. It was the first time I've ever been able to reproduce the sound and performance that I've imagined in my head. And it was already perfect just as it was recorded. I wonder what will happen when I mix it? Just listening to the song already makes me cry, and it's a very nice reaction to get goosebumps from a song you've written. I can't wait to share it with you.
Today, I recorded a different project from the one I recorded the other day. Since most of the songs are dark, sad, hopeful, and spiritual, I chose Bösendorfer for the piano and asked Akio Noguchi to play.
It's hard to see the end. And all the songs are long.
The end is finally in sight. This time, I'm at my best. I have always tried to surpass my old self in my work, and I think this is definitely my best work.
I think this piece is my masterpiece, and I can't wait to release it. I always think that this is my last work, and I do my best to make it, but physically and mentally, there is a good chance that this will be my last contract work.

There was also a mention on Twitter by ACE last year where they mentioned the existence of around 250 tracks, though it was not clear if they meant 250 full tracks or just 250 individual parts of each instrument that they had to mix.

Just bringing this all up again because I'm so excited. As excited for the game itself honestly and that is not a slight at all against XC3.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward it being seamless largely because of the boat. That doesn't necessarily mean it would be open world though, at least not to the degree X was, I think they'll still gate progression in some way tied to the story. But the boat has me daydreaming about Monolith trying to implement the classic JRPG structure of gradually opening the world as you get more vehicles - something that tends not to be done as much or as freely in 3D games as it is in top-down pixel art games.

I'm hoping we get an airship. It's been pointed out the boat looks a little like Junks. In the final third of the game, the boat could be upgraded to fly, and then the game world is fully opened up to the player. It'd be like Dragon Quest games introducing the boat about a third of the way in, and then upgrading to the flying phoenix/dragon/whale/hot air balloon toward the end.

I swear there was an interview where Takahashi said they originally wanted the Bionis to be seamless and allow the player to fly freely around it at one point (probably after Mechonis Core). I can't find the interview now, I'll need to keep searching (anyone else remember reading that?) But I think it's possible he could resurrect the idea here. Although hoping for a seamless world, an airship to fly around it, and underwater exploration/combat, maybe I should tone down my expectations somewhat.

Oh, I know, I was just teasing. Between the simius battle video with no explanation as to what's going on and the eight minutes of Gramps talking nonstop in the middle of another direct, Xenoblade's made some unusual marketing decisions.
For a lot of different reasons, I don't see the world being completely open and seamless - but I'd love to see it do something like you describe. Maybe something like how skells open up new areas in XCX, but just not quite as open? I could imagine the game still having massive open individual "zones" like XC1 and 2, but within those zones you might unlock vehicles or more freeing ways of moving around.

This would be AMAZING. Something people have been begging modern FF for but they still haven’t been able to do
I would love it if Xenoblade managed to beat both single-player modern Final Fantasy to having the classic vehicle progression and BotW to having underwater exploration.

Some people were pointing out that the flat back of the boat could be what your characters fight on to battle the sea monsters, it could be the same with monsters high in the sky. That'd be like Final Fantasy having fights in the airship where the battle background would have your party standing on the deck.

Anyways, the thing about mistaking Noah's try again line for Rex. My post was the one that started that, so I want to make it clear I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone who did hear Rex. I see now my post looks mean-spirited toward Luxin and by extension people who felt the same as him, I want to apologize for that. It really struck me how adamant some youtube analyses were that it was Rex considering the line was playing over what looked like an intimate scene between Noah and Mio. I'm not crazy about the old cast overshadowing the new cast so I think the insistence it was Rex bothered me. My post was mostly aimed at overly adamant youtubers and not meant to be rude to anyone on here who heard Rex, I'm sorry about that.

In regards to the soundtrack, seems like the recording took way more time than the XC2 OST going by Mitsuda's blog. Recording lasted from March 2021 until around the end of the year, which could speak to an even bigger soundtrack than the one in 2. I think COVID restrictions were additionally a big reason it took that long, though.

He also shared some thoughts regarding the music from time to time which is almost definitely about the music he recorded for XC3. I think they got posted before, but I'm sure some haven't heard of them:

There was also a mention on Twitter by ACE last year where they mentioned the existence of around 250 tracks, though it was not clear if she meant 250 full tracks or just 250 individual parts of each instrument that they had to mix.

Just bringing this all up again because I'm so excited. As excited for the game itself honestly and that is not a slight at all against XC3.
Damn, Mitsuda sounds MOTIVATED as hell here

He also shared some thoughts regarding the music from time to time which is almost definitely about the music he recorded for XC3. I think they got posted before, but I'm sure some haven't heard of them:

There was also a mention on Twitter by ACE last year where they mentioned the existence of around 250 tracks, though it was not clear if she meant 250 full tracks or just 250 individual parts of each instrument that they had to mix.

it's possible they could have recorded for both the base game and eventual DLC, I think they did that for XC2 as well but I'm not certain

Will we ever get a “Xenoblade Perfect Works” book? I would like to know if Blade was Episode VI (VII) in the Gears/Saga chronology. Or is XC1, in fact, Episode I?

it's possible they could have recorded for both the base game and eventual DLC, I think they did that for XC2 as well but I'm not certain

Do we even know if XC3 will be getting DLC? In any case, I’m preordering that too.

I honestly thought it was Rex - I wasn’t adamant it was, but I thought it sounded a lot like him. lol

I think if you compare the first lines of the trailer to that line you wouldn’t automatically guess they were the same person.

Spooky.

I actually prefer the second line read, so I hope he has a more ‘down to earth’ tone compared to what we hear at the beginning.

Or maybe Noah’s voice has a lot of range and flavour. That would be cool!

Quoted by: SiG

Yeah, but XC2 + Torna have around 130 pieces (tracks and jingles) in total so XC3 (including DLC or without) would have around 120 more pieces which seems kind of unbelievable. That is basically double the amount.

It seems more likely to me they were talking about individual instrument tracks they recorded.

Or maybe the game has just way, way more jingles this time around.

It would be incredibly bizarre for it not to have DLC considering how successful torna was
Yeah, well XC2 was kind of pushed out the door quickly during the Switch’s launch window.

I honestly thought it was Rex - I wasn’t adamant it was, but I thought it sounded a lot like him. lol

I think if you compare the first lines of the trailer to that line you wouldn’t automatically guess they were the same person.

Spooky.

I actually prefer the second line read, so I hope he has a more ‘down to earth’ tone compared to what we hear at the beginning.

Or maybe Noah’s voice has a lot of range and flavour. That would be cool!
All this talk about whether it was Rex or not, and we’re not asking the important questions:

Can Noah’s voice actor scream?

I hope he can scream and has good banter. Though given his job and the world he’s in, he might not be too cheery… to begin with at least…

I hope we get some relative calm before everything kicks off.

Yeah, well XC2 was kind of pushed out the door quickly during the Switch’s launch window.

All this talk about whether it was Rex or not, and we’re not asking the important questions:

Can Noah’s voice actor scream?
I never really assumed the problem was that Rex’s voice actor couldn’t hit those highs, just whether he could do it while maintaining the 15 year old’s voice he’d been playing up until that point. If it is his voice in the opening of the trailer I’m looking forward to seeing what he does - he absolutely nailed Rex’s determined, optimistic, happy-go-lucky character.

Quoted by: SiG
I never really assumed the problem was that Rex’s voice actor couldn’t hit those highs, just whether he could do it while maintaining the 15 year old’s voice he’d been playing up until that point. If it is his voice in the opening of the trailer I’m looking forward to seeing what he does - he absolutely nailed Rex’s determined, optimistic, happy-go-lucky character.
I feel Rex’s VA eventually warmed up to the voice as he could definitely scream towards the ending cutscenes (unless those were the aforementioned retakes during the QA/prerelease phase). I also think the voice director plays a big role on the delivery too. We definitely won’t be forgetting that voice director for sure…

I do hope the voice acting is XC1 teir along with matched up lip-flaps.

It would be incredibly bizarre for it not to have DLC considering how successful torna was
This is something I thought about earlier and is actually worrying me a little bit. Torna was fantastic, I'm not denying that, but what made it work is that it came about naturally. It was an idea they had for the main game but got cut so when the expansion pass came up, it was the perfect opportunity for Takahashi to flesh it out into its own campaign.

But now that people are expecting another DLC campaign like that, it's not going to be natural anymore. My fears are probably nothing, and talented writers can make anything work. But, I don't love the idea of intentionally leaving something out of the main game with the purpose of having a DLC bonus story, just something about writing the main story with the knowledge that you need to set aside something for a separate story bothers me. I'm probably just overthinking it.

For a lot of different reasons, I don't see the world being completely open and seamless - but I'd love to see it do something like you describe. Maybe something like how skells open up new areas in XCX, but just not quite as open? I could imagine the game still having massive open individual "zones" like XC1 and 2, but within those zones you might unlock vehicles or more freeing ways of moving around.
That's definitely the more realistic expectation to have. In all likelihood, the boat is just for getting around the Leftheria-Eryth Sea zone and won't be available outside of the map.

I do think being seamless isn't out the question and that you can have seamlessness without openess. The areas were so interconnected in xb1 that making them seamless instead of the fade in and out wouldn't have changed anything. You can have a seamless map in a story-driven adventure. Admittedly, Xb2 would've been harder to do that for. Imagine getting that boat at the beginning of chapter 3 and you could've gone right to Mor Ardain before ever stepping foot in Uraya. They probably would've had to make some reason that the port was closed or something.

I don't have much going on today, so I did a little digging for the interview about a seamless Bionis and the Wii was the only thing holding them back from doing it, but I haven't had luck finding it yet. Hopefully, I didn't imagine it lol

I want just as many if not more regional accents from XC2. Give factions, nations and characters unique flavours.

They don’t have to all be from the south.

He also shared some thoughts regarding the music from time to time which are almost definitely about the music he recorded for XC3. I think they got posted before, but I'm sure some haven't heard of them:

There was also a mention on Twitter by ACE last year where they mentioned the existence of around 250 tracks, though it was not clear if they meant 250 full tracks or just 250 individual parts of each instrument that they had to mix.

Holy shit mitsuda!! Where is all of this said

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority but I'm perfectly fine if the lip flaps don't match if it means a more natural script can be achieved. That's the one thing that always seems to be a problem with English scripts of Japanese games: a lot of the awkward reads seem to come from trying to match the flaps in the models IMO. But for most games it seems trying to match them seems to take priority.

Having separate lip flaps per spoken language should be the standard though. I mean even Half-Life 2, a game nearly two decades old, had this.

Having separate lip flaps per spoken language should be the standard though. I mean even Half-Life 2, a game nearly two decades old, had this.
That's because Half-Life 2's lipflaps were generated in real-time as per Source Engine innovations.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm perfectly fine if the lip flaps don't match if it means a more natural script can be achieved. That's the one thing that always seems to be a problem with English scripts of Japanese games: a lot of the awkward reads seem to come from trying to match the flaps in the models IMO. But for most games it seems trying to match them seems to take priority.

I agree, proper delivery is more important than matching lips

That’s easier said then done but they’ll have to account for scene transitions. That’s why they tried to match the lips cause that’s the time you have to talk for a cut.

In areas of Xenoblade 2 they clearly focused on the time the characters has to talk and not always matching the lips.

Localization did a good job with the hand they were dealt all things considered, even the poor sound mixing in cutscenes. You can see their best moments were the hearts to hearts since you could give the most natural conversation.

Yeah, the XC2 cast did the best they could with timings but some of their best work was in the heart to hearts where they had no restraints.

I play a lot of Genshin Impact and they don’t even try to line up the lips at all.

This is something I thought about earlier and is actually worrying me a little bit. Torna was fantastic, I'm not denying that, but what made it work is that it came about naturally. It was an idea they had for the main game but got cut so when the expansion pass came up, it was the perfect opportunity for Takahashi to flesh it out into its own campaign.

But now that people are expecting another DLC campaign like that, it's not going to be natural anymore. My fears are probably nothing, and talented writers can make anything work. But, I don't love the idea of intentionally leaving something out of the main game with the purpose of having a DLC bonus story, just something about writing the main story with the knowledge that you need to set aside something for a separate story bothers me. I'm probably just overthinking it.
I feel the complete opposite. I feel like Torna turned out fantastic despite the fact they they cut out a part of 2 that was rather essential to the story. Rewatching 2 with Torna after chapter 6 made the story feel a lot more complete. This time I think Takahashi will have thought of something to release as DLC from the start, so I'm hoping it'll feel more natural if anything.

I don't have much going on today, so I did a little digging for the interview about a seamless Bionis and the Wii was the only thing holding them back from doing it, but I haven't had luck finding it yet. Hopefully, I didn't imagine it lol

I remember reading this interview too and I haven't been able to find it yet either. Still looking for it and I'm not gonna give up 😂

Oooh wow. Now i'm even more excited to hear the soundtrack. I always expect great things from Mitsuda, he is one hell of a composer, but this seems huge

Sounds good. Seems like it will have a different tone to all Xenoblades if the above stuff turns out to be on the money.

1-C70_001.jpg
We’ll be traveling around like this in Xeno 3. Just like the good old days

The delivery and timbre of the line "You could try," sounds similar to Rex, I don't know what you're hearing if you think it "doesn't sound anything like" it.

Ehh, I'm from the same region as Rex's VA and they sounded very distinct to me. Rex is a proper Bolton lad and Noah isn't...

The crushing realisation is that people would probably think I sound like Rex too😰

Ehh, I'm from the same region as Rex's VA and they sounded very distinct to me. Rex is a proper Bolton lad and Noah isn't...

The crushing realisation is that people would probably think I sound like Rex too😰

Record yourself screaming and we'll let you know

I can't wait to see TGA forgets again about a Xenoblade soundtrack...

I can't wait to see TGA forgets again about a Xenoblade soundtrack...
On the plus side, a September release is far more likely to get some recognition and attention in award season just due to the time of year, so maybe? But I'm not holding my breath.

To be fair it was still just a remaster of a 10 year old game at the time
Nier Replicant 1.5 won best soundtrack in 2021 and Persona 5 Royal was nominated for best RPG in 2020 =p

I just don't think many people who submit nominations for The Game Awards care much about Xenoblade in general.

I remember reading those posts by Mitsuda, but I didn't want to get my hopes up back then. But it seems like I might be able to now.

A "dark, sad, hopeful, and spiritual," soundtrack sounds exactly like what XC3's would be going by what we know so far. It makes me think of Xenosaga Episode I. I already feel XC2 is some of his best work, so I'm excited to see if he tops it.

I'm just so excited for everything. I don't want to wait until June for more information. 😔

Nier Replicant 1.5 won best soundtrack in 2021 and Persona 5 Royal was nominated for best RPG in 2020 =p

I just don't think many people who submit nominations for The Game Awards care much about Xenoblade in general.
The Game Awards has a very weird relationship with remasters/remakes. Like, they're technically eligible, I guess? But also a lot of people don't vote or nominate for them because they're re-releases in many ways? It's odd. I wish there were more precise guidelines about it, or even a remake category.

I think the way it is currently, a remake can break out if it's a massive upgrade to the point it's basically a new game (like FF7 Remake) or games that toe the line between remaster and remake (or whatever Persona 5 Royal is) can still get nods if they're really good and memorable to enough of the nominators, but that's about it.

Xenoblade 2 came out, I think after TGA in 2017, so the word of mouth for that OST was either too late for 2017 awards or forgotten by 2018's awards, I think. Then DE was probably looked at as "just a remaster" even though the OST was significantly rearranged.

So, I mean, if any Xenoblade game has a chance at the TGA, either in terms of timing or recognition, it's gonna be 3.

Xenoblade 3 is causing Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade DE to rank up in the Japanese eShop download chart.

Xenoblade 2 has actually been ranking on JP eShop for a while. It was on the chart for most of November, and this year it's been on the chart for over a month straight since mid-January. It was #25 on the chart a few days before the Direct aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom