• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo pushing Xenoblade is wonderful to see. So what’s 2023? XC3 expansion?

As for the Special Edition talk… I must have it. I have spent too much on this franchise, no reason to stop now!

I hope XC3 strikes a nerve and we get the same kind of support XC2 got.

When you look at the game, expansion, soundtrack, art books, etc. it got more love than many Nintendo franchises.
The dream would be:
2023 - Xenoblade 3 Expansion Pass
2024 - Xenoblade X port (hopefully switch pro will be out and we can get the game in at least 1080p)

I wonder what sort of content we could get in an expansion for xb3. The most notable content 2 got before Torna was in the form of new blades. Crossette, Corvin, and Poppi Buster were big deals and then went all out and gave as Shulk, Fiora, and Elma. The blade system was perfect for bringing back old characters. It'll be interesting to see how 3 could match that if the blade system's not returning (which seems likely).

So could they actually add full-fledged party members in DLC including returning characters (in a non-canonical sort of way, of course)? An actual party member with a full set of arts and customization options has got to be a lot more work than adding blades. At the very least, I hope we can battle past characters in the new challenge battle mode (it's got to be returning, right?). My wish: don't go overboard with returning characters for the main story, but go crazy with challenge battle mode.

Imagine a challenge battle with a level 150 Shulk. If you don't defeat him quick enough, he enrages, casts Monado Cyclone to topple your party for 30 seconds (like Fog King) then goes around individually backslashing each of your characters for instant death.

I know I expressed my concerns that a new Torna equivalent wouldn't be artistically necessary in the same way Torna was a page or two ago (it's silly, I know, it's more Xenoblade to play, I shouldn't complain), but the year following xb2's release was so much fun when we constantly getting new content and updates and checking back in every couple months. I really hope they manage to recreate that.

I pray Mitsuda works with the Irish chorus group ANÚNA again for Xenoblade 3. They produced the beautiful Shadow of the Lowlands, We Are the Chosen Ones, Our Eternal Land, and Ever Come to An End (my favorite) tracks in Xenoblade 2.

Those are imo some of if not THE best music tracks in the whole game. They are haunting, beautiful, soothing, atmospheric, and memorable stand-out tracks that I can't stop listening to. I love the chorus vocals so much

TWoKbZJ.gif

I can't get over how we have 3 different biomes look like they're all so close to each other in the background of that second shot. They probably look closer than they actually are, but that's still something we've never seen in Xenoblade. And I love how well they look like they transition the grasslands to a more desert like plains.
Hey, I'm sorry for page sniping you, so replying here. I was blown away by that shot of the character on the Distant Fingertip, the environment in the background is stunning and the way it goes through several biomes is part of why I think that whole map could be seamless. We know the grasslands have a lot more to them as well. The other shots show a Bionis Leg cliff mountain thing and Gormott's tail, none of which are visible in the zoomed out view from the fingertip, so the grassland has to keep stretching on way more to the left of that shot.

Also, look at all the cave entrances in the background. God, I'm so excited!

Hey, I'm sorry for page sniping you, so replying here. I was blown away by that shot of the character on the Distant Fingertip, the environment in the background is stunning and the way it goes through several biomes is part of why I think that whole map could be seamless. We know the grasslands have a lot more to them as well. The other shots show a Bionis Leg cliff mountain thing and Gormott's tail, none of which are visible in the zoomed out view from the fingertip, so the grassland has to keep stretching on way more to the left of that shot.

Also, look at all the cave entrances in the background. God, I'm so excited!
If I start seeing islands floating in the sky then I know we’ll be flying up

While it's a bit early to be considering DLC, considering they've made a standalone side game for both numbered games so far I wouldn't be surprised at a similar effort for 3. I'd imagine a prequel like Torna would be more likely than a sequel/epilogue like Future Connected since they'd probably want to make the end of this trilogy definitive and in the main game.

What if...

The ultimate twist

You're walking around like this

TWoKbZJ.jpg

And then all of a sudden from the sky...

You see

b3ljUD.gif

Xenoblade 3 (and by default, Xenoblade 1+2) are all connected to BotW
Lmao greatest video game of all time then. The biggest twist in video games history

What if...

The ultimate twist

You're walking around like this

TWoKbZJ.jpg

And then all of a sudden from the sky...

You see

b3ljUD.gif

Xenoblade 3 (and by default, Xenoblade 1+2) are all connected to BotW
They did say they were hiding the title for the BotW sequel since it was gonna reveal some important detail about the game.

I pray Mitsuda works with the Irish chorus group ANÚNA again for Xenoblade 3. They produced the beautiful Shadow of the Lowlands, We Are the Chosen Ones, Our Eternal Land, and Ever Come to An End (my favorite) tracks in Xenoblade 2.

Those are imo some of if not THE best music tracks in the whole game. They are haunting, beautiful, soothing, atmospheric, and memorable stand-out tracks that I can't stop listening to. I love the chorus vocals so much
Good news on that front, Mitsuda's confirmed their involvement via his blog:
僕と清田愛美さんの楽曲は主に東京交響楽団の皆さん、ブラチスラバシンフォニークワイアーの皆さん、アヌーナに歌ってもらっています。
Google translate: "The songs of me and Manami Kiyota are mainly sung by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra, Bratislava Symphony Choir, and Anuna."

The vocal in the trailer music for 3 sounds like Anuna to me.

While it's a bit early to be considering DLC, considering they've made a standalone side game for both numbered games so far I wouldn't be surprised at a similar effort for 3. I'd imagine a prequel like Torna would be more likely than a sequel/epilogue like Future Connected since they'd probably want to make the end of this trilogy definitive and in the main game.

Yeah, I can picture a prequel narrating the start of the current conflict or the collision of both worlds... And the main characters could be (at least in part) from previous games. It would be a great way to sell an expansion pass full of coherent fanservice (instead of fanservice just for the sake of it), while the main game is allowed to focus on new characters.

Last edited:
that would be the ideal solution for me.

Make Xeno 3's narrative stand on its own, the story of new characters even with some familiar faces sprinkled throughout.

The DLC prequel could then focus on the moment the two worlds collided and all the characters meet up. A scenario of fanservice.

Pandora's tower is brutal. Just ... Brutal.

If you ever, for whatever reason, need a game to make you feel like absolute garbage for failing to be punctual, this is it. Holy shit.

I got all 3 of them, and while Xenoblade is my favourite, were I forced to choose, I very much like them all, and would very much regret not having one of them.
On my what would be considered NG+ playthrough I made it so that I was always on time. Elena even thanks you for doing so. ☺

I agree, all three games are good. I would have to replay TLS, though, since I seem to be stuck in a place where I'm not able to level up*. 😓

Edit: *What I meant is grinding.

The dream would be:
2023 - Xenoblade 3 Expansion Pass
2024 - Xenoblade X port (hopefully switch pro will be out and we can get the game in at least 1080p)

I wonder what sort of content we could get in an expansion for xb3. The most notable content 2 got before Torna was in the form of new blades. Crossette, Corvin, and Poppi Buster were big deals and then went all out and gave as Shulk, Fiora, and Elma. The blade system was perfect for bringing back old characters. It'll be interesting to see how 3 could match that if the blade system's not returning (which seems likely).

So could they actually add full-fledged party members in DLC including returning characters (in a non-canonical sort of way, of course)? An actual party member with a full set of arts and customization options has got to be a lot more work than adding blades. At the very least, I hope we can battle past characters in the new challenge battle mode (it's got to be returning, right?). My wish: don't go overboard with returning characters for the main story, but go crazy with challenge battle mode.

Imagine a challenge battle with a level 150 Shulk. If you don't defeat him quick enough, he enrages, casts Monado Cyclone to topple your party for 30 seconds (like Fog King) then goes around individually backslashing each of your characters for instant death.

I know I expressed my concerns that a new Torna equivalent wouldn't be artistically necessary in the same way Torna was a page or two ago (it's silly, I know, it's more Xenoblade to play, I shouldn't complain), but the year following xb2's release was so much fun when we constantly getting new content and updates and checking back in every couple months. I really hope they manage to recreate that.
Love it. It’s tricky to predict what may or may not come in a potential expansion pass.

The blade system gave Monolith Soft an easy way of bringing back old characters such as Kos-Mos, T-Elos, Shulk, Fiora and Elma.

But that system is seemingly absent in XC3.

The Land of Challenge was really meaty and very well received among the fandom. Even DE got a stripped down version.

So you’d expect that mode of play to return in some capacity. Though will that be part of the base game, or a paid extra?

And of course, after Torna and Future Connected, there’s hope more story could be on the horizon.

But that’s difficult to speculate on when we don’t know where the story of XC3 begins or ends. The game may not leave room for an additional adventure (though you’d expect them to be able to come up with something).

It’s difficult because we have XC2 as the gold standard for support in the series.

But XC2 was rough around the edges on release and you wonder, if Monolith Soft was given extra time, how much of that extra content would have made it in the base game.

Torna was considered as the original main story of XC2, then it got reduced and then removed entirely.

You kind of think Monolith Soft would have liked post game additions such as a NG+ and difficulty sliders in the game at launch for example.

Basically, XC2 got excellent support, but I wonder how much of that was planned or how much of that was a result of circumstance, if you know what I mean?

I’m playing devils‘s advocate really.

I love everyone’s ideas in here, yours included, it’s just difficult to pin down what could be on the cards.

I hope we do get playable characters from the other games in some capacity. It would feel weird if XC2 was the big reunion episode, and XC3 didn’t have much of that fan service given the story setup.

Easy Allies had quite the long discussion about Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and its connection to Xenogears/XenoSaga:

I love Simmons’ passion. He’s been a huge Xeno fan for years and you really can tell.

His excitement is infectious. You can tell he just wants to keep talking and talking about it.

I personally don't ever see a Xenoblade Warriors game happening.

I don't think it's in Monolithsoft's interest. And if one were to be made, why would you not just make it another JRPG?

I think the Xenoblade brand is a lot different than, say, Fire Emblem or Zelda or most Nintendo IPs really, in the sense that it's a series which is very strongly tied to the vision of Tetsuya Takahashi. It's not a series that strikes me as being something that gets chucked around to different developers to have one's way with.

Also, I find the idea of wanting play a Xenoblade game that isn't developed by Monolith Soft kind of strange tbh. :p

Last edited:
Love it. It’s tricky to predict what may or may not come in a potential expansion pass.

The blade system gave Monolith Soft an easy way of bringing back old characters such as Kos-Mos, T-Elos, Shulk, Fiora and Elma.

But that system is seemingly absent in XC3.

The Land of Challenge was really meaty and very well received among the fandom. Even DE got a stripped down version.

So you’d expect that mode of play to return in some capacity. Though will that be part of the base game, or a paid extra?

And of course, after Torna and Future Connected, there’s hope more story could be on the horizon.

But that’s difficult to speculate on when we don’t know where the story of XC3 begins or ends. The game may not leave room for an additional adventure (though you’d expect them to be able to come up with something).

It’s difficult because we have XC2 as the gold standard for support in the series.

But XC2 was rough around the edges on release and you wonder, if Monolith Soft was given extra time, how much of that extra content would have made it in the base game.

Torna was considered as the original main story of XC2, then it got reduced and then removed entirely.

You kind of think Monolith Soft would have liked post game additions such as a NG+ and difficulty sliders in the game at launch for example.

Basically, XC2 got excellent support, but I wonder how much of that was planned or how much of that was a result of circumstance, if you know what I mean?

I’m playing devils‘s advocate really.

I love everyone’s ideas in here, yours included, it’s just difficult to pin down what could be on the cards.

I hope we do get playable characters from the other games in some capacity. It would feel weird if XC2 was the big reunion episode, and XC3 didn’t have much of that fan service given the story setup.
Where did you read that Torna was the original story for the game? That’s cool! I only knew that it was supposed to be in the game but it was too long and they decided to trim it.

Where did you read that Torna was the original story for the game? That’s cool! I only knew that it was supposed to be in the game but it was too long and they decided to trim it.
From Wikipedia -

“In 2015, Torna – The Golden Country was one of the potential story candidates in the initial prototype for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.”

But you can also find Takahashi’s words archived here https://web.archive.org/web/2018072...ion-pass-content-executive-director-takahashi

To be fair, reading through the interview and the wiki again for the first time in a few years, it’s difficult to interpret it completely.

Takahashi says it was one of the story candidates when prototyping XC2 in 2015, so whether that means it was one of the stories set to be included in the main game (probably) or one of the stories considered for XC2 as a whole (maybe?) is difficult to say. Reading it again, I reckon it’s likely the former.

Though what form that would have taken compared to what we eventually got with the DLC is interesting to think about.

Will we ever get a Perfect Works book encapsulating all 4 of the Xenoblade games so far?

I'm still intruiged about his whole 6-part magnum opus he originally intended for Xenogears.

Will we ever get a Perfect Works book encapsulating all 4 of the Xenoblade games so far?

I'm still intruiged about his whole 6-part magnum opus he originally intended for Xenogears.
Better than that, we’ll get XCX2 and XCX3 (or maybe just XCX2 if TTGC counted as one of the 6 parts, unless XC and XC2 only count as 1 part combined) so we’ll have all 6 parts in game form; no need for a book!

I always felt like Perfect Works is talked up too much and it seems it often comes from people who haven't actually read the fan translations. There's not much to be intrigued about, it tells you what each episode is and most of them are just the different eras Xenogears's plot goes through. Ep.2 is the spaceship carrying deus crashing in the opening animation, Ep.3 is Kim fiddling around with nanomachines in the Zeboim era, and Ep.4 is the story of Lacan and Sophia. It's just the stuff we already see in Xenogears.

And a lot of the Xeno games have past events shown in flashbacks. By Perfect Works' logic, Xenoblade 2 is three episodes in and of itself: Ep.1 Klaus and the Zohar, Ep.2 Torna, Ep.3: The Story of Rex. Xenosaga would be structured like: Ep.1 Grimoire Verum and the Zohar, Ep.2 Pied Piper, Ep.3 The Miltia Conflict, Ep.4 The Story of Shion.

Episodes 1 and 6 were really the only ones that he seemed to have an intention of turning into full games, one prequel, and one sequel. Episode 1 is about how after the discovery of an alien artifact, civilization rapidly advances (a la 2001: A Space Odyssey) and ultimately builds a superweapon and the Galactic Federation has to offload onto another world to get rid of it. So the idea is Xenosaga is a reimagining of episode 1 and it would lead up to a new version of Xenogears as episode 5. I believe that's legitimate up to a point. I think Perfect Work's episode 1 was the basis for Xenosaga, but it lacks the most important aspect: the building of Deus. It's possible plans changed and Xenosaga was evolving into something else had it continued.

But something that peeves me is the constant claim that every new Xeno thing is an episode and proof the Takahashi is retelling Perfect Works and trying to Trojan horse its way through under Xenoblade's success after Xenosaga's failure. When X was coming out, people were like "oh it's the Eldridge crash, he's telling episode 2!" okay, so where's Abel making contact with the Zohar? Where's Myang and Cain? Is the lifehold Deus? Seems like stretching. And of course it's been pointed out the xb2 is a retelling of Xenogears and Torna is episode 4. That's fair, there's a lot to compare, but now I've seen people on other sites saying "there's two nations at war that start with K and A, it's episode 5!" Okay, but you've been telling me xb2 is Ep.5. How many episode fives does this story have? Even with xb2, while's there a lot of comparisons, there are also a lot of comparisons between gears and saga's story structure (look at this: http://xenogearsxenosagastudyguide.blogspot.com/p/xenogears-and-xenosaga-mirroring.html) yet no one says saga is episode 5. Soma Bringer's the only Takahashi game that's escaped this even though it's Xeno as hell (it's a Takahashi helmed project, with a script from Soraya Saga, and music from Mitsuda) just because it doesn't have Xeno in the title.

I think people get way too hung up on how Takahashi described Xenogears's flashback eras in a materials book 25 years ago. That's the other thing, it's just a material/art book. That's all Perfect Works is. Some fans talk like it's a series bible but the section where the six episodes are described is just one tiny part of it. I'd argue the bestiary where they give in-universe explanations for the various monsters and how they evolved is vastly more interesting than just describing the eras you see in flashbacks as other episodes. So, the Xenoblade games already have their own Perfect Works. Materials books have been released for all of them: Monado: The Secret Files, The Art of Mira, and Alrest Records.

What I think it really comes down to is that Takahashi just has a set of interests, concepts, and obsessions that he has fun writing about and likes to put in his stories. I honestly believe it's that simple. It's more like Yuji Horii reusing a lot of narrative ideas across all the Dragon Quest games. The high concept framework of xb2 is similar to gears, but the actual story and themes told within that framework are xb2's own thing.

I don't mean to tell anyone they're wrong or spoil anyone's fun speculating about connections, but I do want to throw out another way of looking at Perfect Works. I've seen Luxin's videos talking about perfect works and he almost seems dogmatic about how Takahashi is definitely retelling Perfect Works and how the gnosis are super important to the future of the series because ideas of how they function were reused for the Fog King. It's easy for new fans to get sucked into this as truth without even reading Perfect Works or finding out it's just a materials book, the episode descriptions are just one small section, and 4 of 6 episodes are just the stuff we already saw in Xenogears. That's how I was when I dug into the series after falling in love with Xenoblade 1 until I actually read Perfect Works.

It might be healthy for the fandom to not revere Perfect Works too much. Episode 1 is the same way every Takahashi thing starts - a Space Odyssey homage - and episode 6 is just "we can't tell you yet!" sequel tease that says nothing (and I wouldn't be surprised if he never actually had a concrete idea for it), and the rest of the episodes are what we see in Xenogears. It's not that interesting despite how much people hype this thing. This idea that Takahashi's been trying to tell the same story for 25 years really sells him short as a writer.

Okay, but you've been telling me xb2 is Ep.5. How many episode fives does this story have? Even with xb2, while's there a lot of comparisons, there are also a lot of comparisons between gears and saga's story structure (look at this: http://xenogearsxenosagastudyguide.blogspot.com/p/xenogears-and-xenosaga-mirroring.html) yet no one says saga is episode 5. Soma Bringer's the only Takahashi game that's escaped this even though it's Xeno as hell (it's a Takahashi helmed project, with a script from Soraya Saga, and music from Mitsuda) just because it doesn't have Xeno in the title.
This is the same site that doesn't consider Xenoblade to be part of the Xenogears/Xenosaga universe:

Study Guide comments said:
I don't see how what happens in Xenoblade 1 has much to do with the Saga/Gears series. There is a complex web of story elements in Saga/Gears that are completely absent from Xenoblade 1, such as the imminent collapse of the universe resulting from spiritual degradation. The story of Saga/Gears is about more than a single event/climax, it's an entire journey with psychological exploration and philosophical dialogue between characters that a mere possible similarity in a single event or plot point can't simply repurpose.

And even if this is another case of Takahashi reusing ideas in isolation from Saga/Gears and repackaging them (in this case from ideas he has yet to use in Saga/Gears), then that would just diminish the impact of those events if we ever get them in Saga/Gears. Why would he one day want to show that last story arc so much if all it will amount to is what he already did in Xenoblade 1 but with different characters?

I've always considered why such elitists never wanted Xenoblade to be part of that arc, and am told to just ignore such people when they're the exact sources who keep stating that "there is no corellation" when there in fact are a whole bunch of connections.

In fact, I could shoot down the arguments this site author made by saying a lot of the themes in XB1 & 2 are actually revisitations of the same exact themes as Gears/Saga but recontextualized: The importance of immortality and lifespans have been deconstructed in the Torna DLC, themes of eternal cycles in XB1 (and possibly XB3 from the Oroborus symbolism), the usage of a demiurge figure is found both in Xenoblade 1 & 2, and philosophical exploration can be found even in the "story light" Xenoblade X.

I do think plans change and so do people's worldviews...Which is precisely why we could use a Xenoblade Perfect Works bible of sorts. There are lots of subplots that could be elaborated on, or even just better explained, as well as give us a vision on where he could see the Xenofranchise going.

Last edited:
I know the author's thoughts on blade, but I didn't think it was relevant to the point I was making. I don't think his 'history' article is useful because it's full of unsourced claims, but the mirroring article is worth looking at. If he doesn't like Xenoblade, he doesn't like it, he's entitled to that opinion and I don't see how it invalidates the mirroring article.

And if you couldn't tell, I don't view gears, saga, and blade as being part of the same universe/arc either. I hope that doesn't invalidate all my opinions lol

Last edited:
I know the author's thoughts on blade, but I didn't think it was relevant to the point I was making. I don't think his 'history' article is useful because it's full of unsourced claims, but the mirroring article is worth looking at. If he doesn't like Xenoblade, he doesn't like it, he's entitled to that opinion and I don't see how it invalidates the mirroring article.
Because alot of the scenarios are also mirrored in (Xeno)Blade as well.
And if you couldn't tell, I don't view gears, saga, and blade as being part of the same universe/arc either. I hope that doesn't invalidate all my opinions lol
Fair point. I'm not trying to invalidate your opinions, but I do disagree with the author (of that website)'s assertion that Blade isn't as deep as Gears/Saga (or at least as deep as a Xeno game could be lol).

Because alot of the scenarios are also mirrored in (Xeno)Blade as well. Also the claims of Blade not being as deep as Gears/Saga are false.
Which is my point. If we can point at every Xeno game after gears and compare it to episode five then at what point do we stop trying to match every game up to a Perfect Works episode and start to consider Takahashi just likes writing about the same kind of stuff.

If everything's episode 5 then maybe nothing's episode 5.

I didn't mean to endorse the author's anti-Xenoblade opinions by linking the article. Xenoblade 1 is my personal favorite game and Xenoblade is my favorite series. I started with Xenoblade and went back to gears and saga because I loved blade so much. I linked to the article because it was an exhaustive rundown of how plot points and overall story structure can be matched up between gears and saga. I think the author of the site is a weird dude but the mirroring article was mostly sticking with the facts for the actual comparison tables. I think we just sort of misunderstood each other there.

People can admittedly get too hung up in the whole mythos thing because of the peculiar situation of the Xeno games, but in my case I think looking for callbacks and parallels to previous games is part of the fun even if they aren't building up to some secret grand scheme.

Can't wait to see how much better the graphical upgrades on the final version vs the reveal trailer version

Xenoblade 2 for comparison
E3 2017 demo version vs Gaming press preview version
T84VDZV.png

XVtzAKg.png

This is the same site that doesn't consider Xenoblade to be part of the Xenogears/Xenosaga universe:

I've always considered why such elitists never wanted Xenoblade to be part of that arc, and am told to just ignore such people when they're the exact sources who keep stating that "there is no corellation" when there in fact are a whole bunch of connections.

In fact, I could shoot down the arguments this site author made by saying a lot of the themes in XB1 & 2 are actually revisitations of the same exact themes as Gears/Saga but recontextualized: The importance of immortality and lifespans have been deconstructed in the Torna DLC, themes of eternal cycles in XB1 (and possibly XB3 from the Oroborus symbolism), the usage of a demiurge figure is found both in Xenoblade 1 & 2, and philosophical exploration can be found even in the "story light" Xenoblade X.

I do think plans change and so do people's worldviews...Which is precisely why we could use a Xenoblade Perfect Works bible of sorts. There are lots of subplots that could be elaborated on, or even just better explained, as well as give us a vision on where he could see the Xenofranchise going.

I don't know what all this back and forth is about, but the underlined:

"such as the imminent collapse of the universe resulting from spiritual degradation:

is absolutely a main premise point for Xenoblade, and Alvis's number one concern and driving force for his urgency towards the end of the game. He actually says the universe does not have long left and a new one must be created. And as a driving force for one, the act of the new universes creation becomes the driving force and sense of urgency in the finale of Xenoblade 2, where they must complete what they need to do before shulks command of 'A world with no need for gods' removed the conduit sending everything crashing.

Although this isn't a matter of 'spiritual degregation' but the fact zanza keeps using the reality editing machine and conduit soley to recycle resources to keep himself alive, at the expense of the growth/continued existance of the universe he and meyneth accidentally created.

I don't know what all this back and forth is about, but the underlined:

"such as the imminent collapse of the universe resulting from spiritual degradation:

is absolutely a main premise point for Xenoblade, and Alvis's number one concern and driving force for his urgency towards the end of the game. He actually says the universe does not have long left and a new one must be created.

Although this isn't a matter of 'spiritual degregation' but the fact zanza keeps using the reality editing machine and conduit soley to recycle resources to keep himself alive.
Exactly. I think my main hangup is that certain segment Xenogears/Xenosaga fans do not consider Xenoblade to be part of this "grand thematic/narrative arc" that Director Tetsuya Takahashi had planned, despite all the evidence pointing in the contrary. One thinks that it might be just followers embittered over the fact that Monolithsoft got bought out by Nintendo, and that their subsequent output had been "toned down to match [Nintendo's] audience".

How wrong they are. (Recalls the dark stuff in Torna The Golden Country and the latter half of of the main Xenoblade Chronicles 2 campaign.)

And to think how big the franchise has gotten too, so much so that suddenly there are people who started playing Xenogears/Xenosaga for the first time...

Last edited:
Exactly. I think my main hangup is that certain segment Xenogears/Xenosaga fans do not consider Xenoblade to be part of this "grand thematic/narrative arc" that Director Tetsuya Takahashi had planned, despite all the evidence pointing in the contrary. One thinks that it might be just followers embittered over the fact that Monolithsoft got bought out by Nintendo, and that their subsequent output had been "toned down to match [Nintnedo's] audience".

How wrong they are. (Recalls the dark stuff in Torna The Golden Country and the latter half of of the main Xenoblade Chronicles 2 campaign.)

And to think how big the franchise has gotten too, so much so that suddenly there are people who started playing Xenogears/Xenosaga for the first time...

I don't think any Xeno game goes as dark and depraved as Xenoblade 1's ultimate revelation, the sum total pinnacle of simultaneous mind reams of realizations that occur when you are told that zanza created a literal name dropped pre existing harmony of events.

Zanza made a very special sandwich, for a very special moment, just for shulk.

That shits fucked up yo.

Just to clarify, my post last night was about my frustrations with misinformation over exactly what Perfect Works is and nothing to do with making a judgment call about the thematic depth of any particular Xeno game. I know the author of that site is an old-school gears/saga elitist, but that specific mirroring article I linked to doesn't even mention Xenoblade at all. The quote about spiritual degradation and the universe collapsing is not from the specific article I linked to. I was drawing attention to comparisons between factual plot points and structure between saga and gears, and nothing to do with themes. I didn't mean to start anything by linking it.

Just to clarify, my post last night was about my frustrations with misinformation over exactly what Perfect Works is and nothing to do with making a judgment call about the thematic depth of any particular Xeno game. I know the author of that site is an old-school gears/saga elitist, but that specific mirroring article I linked to doesn't even mention Xenoblade at all. The quote about spiritual degradation and the universe collapsing is not from the specific article I linked to. I was drawing attention to comparisons between factual plot points and structure between saga and gears, and nothing to do with themes. I didn't mean to start anything by linking it.
It's not your fault. I was hoping to gain more insight about each of Xenogears/Xenosaga's parallels from the site, but recalled having visited the same blog before trying to glean some opinions.

For the longest time, I was actually of the opinion that most long-term Xenogears/Xenosaga fans despised Xenoblade. It reminded me a lot about how certain blogs talked about the masterful writing of Bioshock and The Last of Us but would often highlight how pitiful Nintendo's own output was on the story department.

Edit: What I meant to say was that your post was completely inoffensive, and if anything, it's just me having hangups over what that author said in the past. Who knows if they've changed their mind about the Xenoblade series since then.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm going to throw out a random combat mechanic theory based on nothing but a cutscene and the series' lead battle designer's past work, because why not?

Characters are a lot more animated and jumping around in the cutscenes compared to combat, but usually, they don't throw out entirley new abilities in cutscenes completely divorced from gameplay. Multiple times in xb1, we see Shulk cast enchant in cutscenes and the party is shown fighting mechon while surrounded by the purple enchant aura. Several times in Future Connected, Melia summons her three elemental orbs in cutscenes. She summons all three at once which you can't do in gameplay, but aside from that, the cutscene still follows the general rules of the combat mechanics: she can summon three orbs, and then she can shoot them for damage.

In the trailer, there's a part where Taion and Eunie are fighting together. Taion has his flock of origami birds circling the two of them while Eunie has her weapon in staff mode with green ether emanating from it, and causes a green aura to surround the origami swarm. This has got to be some sort of ability they can do in combat and I think it's a pair-up move.

The lead combat designer of the Xeno series is Makoto Shimamoto (this guy: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,46566/), and before Xeno his first outing as a combat designer was for Chrono Trigger which had the praised dual techs. He did try to reimplement dual techs at least once before in Xenosaga Episode II. They're not really worth using in that one but that was more to do with the dreaded stocking system.

So my theory is Shimamoto is putting dual techs in Xenoblade and that's what Eunie and Taion are doing. I think they'll be a replacement for xb2's specials. If the combat is an expansion of Torna (which seems to be the popular opinion), and the characters are in pairs, then I think that would make a lot of sense. In 2 and Torna, your driver and blade would do the level 4 special together but that was it. I think you'll be able to pair any character with any other one, and they'll do an art together for each special. The one Taion and Eunie are doing in the trailer could be a shielding ability so some of these dual techs would have utility purposes and not all would be damaging as opposed to being elemental nukes like xb2.

It's also entirely possible Shimamoto was absorbed into the Zelda team and won't be working on the game lol

Last edited:
Greetings, famiboards xeno crowd. After lurking for 🙃much too long🙃 on era and here, I've decided, in my covid delerium, to join the discusson finally. Pleased to meet you all!

X is probably my favorite of the series, though I'm unsure if I want it to have any link to 3. Nevertheless, I saw some interesting details regarding the cut Qlurian backstory from that game. Namely this passage:
The concept of "ancient earthlings" is odd considering X begins on earth, and an earth that didn't have spacefaring technology until only a few decades before the prologue at that. If Aionios ends up becoming Mira (despite probably being earth as well), and its people possibly the Samaarians, then maybe this piece of info about the Qlurians is the first hint at multiple earths.

I dunno if that's clear at all, it was certainly made more sense in my head before the fever, but so it goes.

Greetings, famiboards xeno crowd. After lurking for 🙃much too long🙃 on era and here, I've decided, in my covid delerium, to join the discusson finally. Pleased to meet you all!

X is probably my favorite of the series, though I'm unsure if I want it to have any link to 3. Nevertheless, I saw some interesting details regarding the cut Qlurian backstory from that game. Namely this passage:
The concept of "ancient earthlings" is odd considering X begins on earth, and an earth that didn't have spacefaring technology until only a few decades before the prologue at that. If Aionios ends up becoming Mira (despite probably being earth as well), and its people possibly the Samaarians, then maybe this piece of info about the Qlurians is the first hint at multiple earths.

I dunno if that's clear at all, it was certainly made more sense in my head before the fever, but so it goes.

Welcome to the fami-ly.

That's very interesting. I wonder if the people from her home planet came from a different "earth", or one in a previous timeloop. Could also be Mira time-shenanigans. We might not have reliable information how long the White Whale was travelling.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind an X connection, but I'd prefer it to not be too overt. Aionios becoming Mira would be a great way to do it, though.
My actual hope, however, is that X gets it's own trilogy, after the 1-3 trilogy is finished.

Can't wait to see how much better the graphical upgrades on the final version vs the reveal trailer version

Xenoblade 2 for comparison
E3 2017 demo version vs Gaming press preview version
T84VDZV.png

XVtzAKg.png
Oh wow I had no idea the game received such big upgrades, first time I see such a direct comparison besides the shot of Rex charging forward in a cutscene

Welcome to the fami-ly.

That's very interesting. I wonder if the people from her home planet came from a different "earth", or one in a previous timeloop. Could also be Mira time-shenanigans. We might not have reliable information how long the White Whale was travelling.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind an X connection, but I'd prefer it to not be too overt. Aionios becoming Mira would be a great way to do it, though.
My actual hope, however, is that X gets it's own trilogy, after the 1-3 trilogy is finished.

If we are going to talk about X and Mira, and what it is, we should probably get it's namesake front and center.

Hi, welcome!

I've seen a lot of speculation about the Orphean's homeworld since they claim the Telethia originated from their world (a world of an endless ocean), but I've never given much thought to Celica's race before. It's not too unusual for fiction set on Earth changing the past or having something like an ancient first civilization. Doctor Who had the Silurians inhabit Earth before humans, and the Nadia Secret of the Blue Water had the Atlanteans with a high tech civilization that created the modern human race before being wiped out.

I guess it's possible the Qlurians came from a first civilization. Perhaps this first civilization had regular contact with the original Samaarians and were given their technology. Maybe the Samaarians already helped Earthlife vacate the planet once before due to an ancient calamity and those that stayed and survived became the current civilization of Earth humans.

I feel like it could either way whether or not X is connected to the number games. The Samaarians are supposed to come from another universe though. For a long time I was on the bandwagon that Mira was the world Shulk and Alvis created far into the future, so it'll be interesting if any X related stuff crops up in 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom