• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep listening to the last 20 seconds of the trailer. Absolutely gorgeous piano.

The way the first four chords stick within the scale with a VI - IVM7 - V - iii

And the following four chords just absolutely demolish any semblence of the original key by modulating around the circle of fifths

The music's back, baby

I don't recall the XC2 trailers and info being THAT bad about spoilers. It's important to remember that watching them after playing the game, they'll feel much more spoiler-y, but that's mostly from having pre-knowledge about context. In the moment when they first come out, you're unlikely to really know what you're looking at to get too spoiled from them.
Problem is that pre-knowledge comes while you're playing the game, not after. As the story advances, you slowly gain context for trailer scenes and start to figure out how they're going to fit in. Personally, I could've done without knowing Pyra would turn into Mythra or Jin would kill Rex at the beginning. 2's reveal and E3 trailers were fine, but the Xenoblade direct they had a month before release was a bit much.

I'm fine not knowing any more about the story for 3 than we do right now, I just want to see the combat system and gameplay. It's exciting to think we're likely the same amount of time away from the summer direct as the amount of time since the February direct. I am worried that no E3 means no treehouses though and we'll only be getting the summer direct by itself. It was nice thinking we'd be getting a half-hour look at the gameplay side of things in about two months but that's no longer a sure thing. I don't see the trailer in the direct going in-depth about the combat given the negative reactions to X and 2 doing that. Like they would show clips of combat, but it could be hard to tell exactly how it works like the E3 trailer for 2. So it might not be until a Xenoblade overview trailer in August that we really get to know.

In retrospect, I give 2's marketing top props for how it kept Malos's true significance to the story a secret right up to the end, never describing or presenting him as anything more than Jin's second-in-command. A couple of moments concerning him that made go "WHAT."

In other news, it looks like Mitsuda finished his work on 3's OST?

Last edited:
Going to take the opposite side here and say that I will gladly take and analyze all the material they give us. Then once I play the game myself I can check how right and wrong I was about things. For me it's part of the fun too.

I keep listening to the last 20 seconds of the trailer. Absolutely gorgeous piano.

And the following four chords just absolutely demolish any semblence of the original key by modulating around the circle of fifths

The music's back, baby
I don't speak music but somehow I understood what you said because I, too, enjoy that part of the song that does the wibbly wobbly Mitsuda thing.

I don't speak music but somehow I understood what you said because I, too, enjoy that part of the song that does the wibbly wobbly Mitsuda thing.

Yes you can absolutely tell what's going on because even if you can't describe it academically you can still hear the chords start to "meander" and feel a bit "lost".

Mitsuda has a knack for using the piano to speak emotions almost as literally as written word.

When I first booted up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I was stuck on the title screen because I was stunned at how beautiful the piano piece is. It struck me how clever it was to use the same four note "shape", but repeated, and descending. And the ebb and flow of the expression, slightly speeding up and slowing down, softening and intensifying, just gorgeous.

Yes you can absolutely tell what's going on because even if you can't describe it academically you can still hear the chords start to "meander" and feel a bit "lost".

Mitsuda has a knack for using the piano to speak emotions almost as literally as written word.

When I first booted up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I was stuck on the title screen because I was stunned at how beautiful the piano piece is.
Yup. Initially I thought "oh cool, he's sorta following what Shimomura did with XB1's title screen" but then he sorta reprised that music for the opening scene and it was immediately obvious he was doing his own lovely, lovely thing.

Problem is that pre-knowledge comes while you're playing the game, not after. As the story advances, you slowly gain context for trailer scenes and start to figure out how they're going to fit in. Personally, I could've done without knowing Pyra would turn into Mythra or Jin would kill Rex at the beginning. 2's reveal and E3 trailers were fine, but the Xenoblade direct they had a month before release was a bit much.

I'm fine not knowing any more about the story for 3 than we do right now, I just want to see the combat system and gameplay. It's exciting to think we're likely the same amount of time away from the summer direct as the amount of time since the February direct. I am worried that no E3 means no treehouses though and we'll only be getting the summer direct by itself. It was nice thinking we'd be getting a half-hour look at the gameplay side of things in about two months but that's no longer a sure thing. I don't see the trailer in the direct going in-depth about the combat given the negative reactions to X and 2 doing that. Like they would show clips of combat, but it could be hard to tell exactly how it works like the E3 trailer for 2. So it might not be until a Xenoblade overview trailer in August that we really get to know.
I guess that depends on how good your memory of the trailers is. By the time I actually played XC2 I didn’t really remember any particular scenes from the trailers; I didn’t know the trailers well enough to place the moments as I played, which goes back to what I said about not over analyzing or discussing too much. But of course YMMV on that front.

I guess that depends on how good your memory of the trailers is. By the time I actually played XC2 I didn’t really remember any particular scenes from the trailers; I didn’t know the trailers well enough to place the moments as I played, which goes back to what I said about not over analyzing or discussing too much. But of course YMMV on that front.
Unfortunately, I can't help myself but obsess over prerelease material, it's really my own undoing lol. I have the weirdest most insignificant memories from obsessing over trailers and treehouse videos for these games like remembering the icon for the beam element in X was pink in the 2014 treehouse but teal in the final game while the physical element was teal/aqua in 2014.

Speaking of music and what seems to be the main theme, I don't think anyone posted this:

A guy on youtube did a flute cover of the 3's main theme, it sounds amazing. It's the closest will get to hearing a clean full version of the piece before the official one releases. It really is a beautiful piece; Mitsuda's a genius.

Unfortunately, I can't help myself but obsess over prerelease material, it's really my own undoing lol. I have the weirdest most insignificant memories from obsessing over trailers and treehouse videos for these games like remembering the icon for the beam element in X was pink in the 2014 treehouse but teal in the final game while the physical element was teal/aqua in 2014.

Speaking of music and what seems to be the main theme, I don't think anyone posted this:

A guy on youtube did a flute cover of the 3's main theme, it sounds amazing. It's the closest will get to hearing a clean full version of the piece before the official one releases. It really is a beautiful piece; Mitsuda's a genius.

Oh I totally get that, I have to fight with myself to not do that too :). I'm at the point now that I really just want one more big trailer, like an E3-type trailer that focuses a bit more on gameplay and has some nice 'wow look at this cool thing' shots and then I think I'm good, I won't need anything else. Well, that and the actual release date. This is one game I'm happy to spend a day or two of vacation on, I like taking some in September anyway so this will line up nicely.

The music's back, baby
the trailer music was interesting to me, every other xenoblade game was introduced with bombastic pieces of music whereas 3 is more toned down

controversial opinion time:

XC1 and 2's music didn't grab me all that much. can't even remember what those ending themes were. weren't bad, just forgettable to me. hope 3 is better in this regard
I feel that way about X. It's not bad, but it's just another Sawano OST.

XC1 and 2's music didn't grab me all that much. can't even remember what those ending themes were. weren't bad, just forgettable to me. hope 3 is better in this regard
As someone who considers both XC1 and XC2 to be among their top 10 favorite VGM OSTs, I certainly can’t relate but respect your opinion all the same. 😉

I really hope XC3’s soundtrack gets some love at TGAs this year, but considering what happened with XC2 I’m not particularly hopeful.

Going to take the opposite side here and say that I will gladly take and analyze all the material they give us. Then once I play the game myself I can check how right and wrong I was about things. For me it's part of the fun too.
I’ll watch whatever they release… several hundred times!
Oh, same! I love trying to predict everything ☺️

Monolithsoft doesn't care about spoilers. They'll spoil some things, but there's always something bigger yet to be revealed.

Like these old, original Japanese Xenoblade Wii commercials

Oh, same! I love trying to predict everything ☺️

Monolithsoft doesn't care about spoilers. They'll spoil some things, but there's always something bigger yet to be revealed.

Like these old, original Japanese Xenoblade Wii commercials

It's always good Xenoetiquette to spoiler tag anything regarding Seven. 👍

To be fair, I don't remember the ending themes at all either. They're not something I ever really care about in games.

... but I can probably hum or play the entirety of damn near every area theme in the games by heart, I've listened to them so many times. Both Top 5 OSTs of the last decade, easy.

I adore Mitsuda and ACE+'s style (and Shimomura, too). They just fit my game OST vibe perfectly.

To be fair, I don't remember the ending themes at all either. They're not something I ever really care about in games.

... but I can probably hum or play the entirety of damn near every area theme in the games by heart, I've listened to them so many times. Both Top 5 OSTs of the last decade, easy.

I adore Mitsuda and ACE+'s style (and Shimomura, too). They just fit my game OST vibe perfectly.
As much as I love the XB OSTs, I also found the ending themes.. just okay. Which is weird because with Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross, the end theme is normally where Mitsuda shines.

Listening to Chrono Cross OST recently and damn, it would not hurt if Mitsuda did some of the area themes for XC3.

I know he mainly does character/cutscene motifs and ACE do the areas, but Mitsuda’s Chrono cross area themes are so otherworldly

As much as I love the XB OSTs, I also found the ending themes.. just okay. Which is weird because with Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross, the end theme is normally where Mitsuda shines.
True, I'm not normally an 'ending music' person but "Radical Dreamers" might be the most beautiful, sad, and haunting ending theme that I know of.
Listening to Chrono Cross OST recently and damn, it would not hurt if Mitsuda did some of the area themes for XC3.

I know he mainly does character/cutscene motifs and ACE do the areas, but Mitsuda’s Chrono cross area themes are so otherworldly
I love so many of the area themes in Chrono Cross: Gaia's Navel, Shadow Forest, Fossil Valley, the early lizard area, etc., so I'd welcome this. But then again I adore area tracks like Satorl Marsh (night), Eryth Sea, Mechonis Field, Uraya, and so on, pretty much just as much so I think it's a win-win no matter what

I don’t know if it’s nostalgia but Chrono Cross and Xenogears soundtracks just hit different.

I don’t know if it’s nostalgia but Chrono Cross and Xenogears soundtracks just hit different.
I have a lot more memories/fondness for Chrono Trigger than Cross, but consider the Cross soundtrack superior. I only played Xenogears recently, and it's one of the best game OSTs I've ever heard. I don't even have enough memory of the game to tell what the songs line up to, but I still listen to that album all the time because it's that good.

It's not just nostalgia. 😉

I have a lot more memories/fondness for Chrono Trigger than Cross, but consider the Cross soundtrack superior. I only played Xenogears recently, and it's one of the best game OSTs I've ever heard. I don't even have enough memory of the game to tell what the songs line up to, but I still listen to that album all the time because it's that good.

It's not just nostalgia. 😉

"My Village is Number One" has been my resident ear worm for two decades.

"My Village is Number One" has been my resident ear worm for two decades.
I haven't been able to get the combo of "Flight" and "Wings" out of my head for a couple years now, and I haven't been able to get "The Beginning and the End" or "Small of Two Pieces" out of my soul.

Did you see the 20th anniversary concert? It's some good stuff.

Beyond the Sky and One Last you are rather okay at best.

A Moment of Eternity is great tho.
No lies detected.
I haven't been able to get the combo of "Flight" and "Wings" out of my head for a couple years now, and I haven't been able to get "The Beginning and the End" or "Small of Two Pieces" out of my soul.

Did you see the 20th anniversary concert? It's some good stuff.

I have the Blu-ray for this concert and it's incredible from start to finish. If you have even a passing interest in Mitsuda's work then definitely try to pick it up. I'm so happy he's continuing his collaborations with Anuna since XC2 and this concert.

I think I take it to a much further extreme: The music actively hinders my enjoyment of the games.
Which isn't to say that I think all of it or even most of it is bad. I actually love a lot of the tracks, especially Mitsuda's cutscene music in Xenoblade 2 and the tracks commonly attributed to Shimomura in the first one (the title theme, Colony 9/Homestead, Satorl Marsh).
But there's an approach to background music that, at best, hampers my immersion, but at worst, actually annoys the living shit out of me.
For an example, take the track for Mor Ardainian capital Alba Cavanich. A fantastic track, one of my favourites in the entire game. And also completely ill-fitting for what the player is actually doing: Walking around, talking to NPCs, buying and selling gear.
Instead, it feels like the composers wrote it with the Mor Ardainian empire in mind. Something grand, and majestic, something that might sound like the national anthem of these people.
It's like the composers want their work to push along the story, but this is a game, and I prefer the approach of something like Untitled Goose Game where the soundtrack is 100% a compliment to what the player is doing at any given moment in time.
On top of that, the tracks are just so loud and busy, especially in the second game. It's utterly fatiguing to me to hear these songs on a loop given how big these areas are and how much time you spend in them. Even something relatively restrained like Uraya is still wearing to listen to because of how unvaried it is.
The worst example for me is the Merc Mission music. What about that song felt appropriate for the player action: Navigating through menus. I would usually mute the game whenever I went into merc missions.

I feel like I'm probably alone in all of this. So many people praise the soundtracks of these games. And so many people shit on the soundtrack of, for example, Breath of the Wild. But if these games had the sound design and score of Breath of the Wild they would be utterly unbeatable to me. Like that one thing alone would just make these the best games ever made. I love these environments so much, but never do I ever feel like I'm actually in them, in the same way that Breath of the Wild conveys the sense of being in Hyrule (which I attribute mostly to the sound and music).

I was able to catch the anniversary concert on youtube before Square Enix pulled it, it's great stuff. I've wanted to order the blu ray but wasn't sure if it's region free. Does anyone know? I'm happy Mitsuda's continued to work with Anuna for most of his recent stuff. I've been listening to the new song for the Chrono Cross remaster none stop.

Veering away from music discussion for a second, since 3's announcement, I decided to replay all of Xenoblade 1 and 2. I finished 1 and I just started chapter 8 in 2. During this revisit, something that stands out to me as an annoyance in both games (and X was like this as well) is how cumbersome it is to get into combat. I love the battle systems in these games but actually starting a battle feels momentum-killing.

First, there's the two button approach - and it's something I've seen new players struggle to understand in streams. You have to press a shoulder button to target then press a face button to actually draw your weapon. Second, your character comes to a screeching halt to draw their weapon and you can't move again until the draw weapon animation finishes. It's made worse by the fact that you always want to draw your weapon from a distance since the games give you perks for doing that before the enemy sees you (affinity burst in 1, bonus affinity in 2 with hunter chemistry, prevents that annoying 'flinch' effect in X). So you'll be running toward an enemy you want to fight, press the two buttons, stop dead in your tracks to draw your weapon, then you can start running again toward your target albeit at a slower speed.

My hope for 3 is that they have a button that both targets the nearest mob and draws your weapon at the same time and also lets the player character keep moving during the draw weapon animation, then your character can immediately go into an auto-attack as they run up the target like in WoW. I know there's a debate to be had about whether to auto-attack while moving with pros and cons, but I don't think anyone would have a problem with moving while drawing your weapon.

I think I take it to a much further extreme: The music actively hinders my enjoyment of the games.
Which isn't to say that I think all of it or even most of it is bad. I actually love a lot of the tracks, especially Mitsuda's cutscene music in Xenoblade 2 and the tracks commonly attributed to Shimomura in the first one (the title theme, Colony 9/Homestead, Satorl Marsh).
But there's an approach to background music that, at best, hampers my immersion, but at worst, actually annoys the living shit out of me.
For an example, take the track for Mor Ardainian capital Alba Cavanich. A fantastic track, one of my favourites in the entire game. And also completely ill-fitting for what the player is actually doing: Walking around, talking to NPCs, buying and selling gear.
Instead, it feels like the composers wrote it with the Mor Ardainian empire in mind. Something grand, and majestic, something that might sound like the national anthem of these people.
It's like the composers want their work to push along the story, but this is a game, and I prefer the approach of something like Untitled Goose Game where the soundtrack is 100% a compliment to what the player is doing at any given moment in time.
On top of that, the tracks are just so loud and busy, especially in the second game. It's utterly fatiguing to me to hear these songs on a loop given how big these areas are and how much time you spend in them. Even something relatively restrained like Uraya is still wearing to listen to because of how unvaried it is.
The worst example for me is the Merc Mission music. What about that song felt appropriate for the player action: Navigating through menus. I would usually mute the game whenever I went into merc missions.

I feel like I'm probably alone in all of this. So many people praise the soundtracks of these games. And so many people shit on the soundtrack of, for example, Breath of the Wild. But if these games had the sound design and score of Breath of the Wild they would be utterly unbeatable to me. Like that one thing alone would just make these the best games ever made. I love these environments so much, but never do I ever feel like I'm actually in them, in the same way that Breath of the Wild conveys the sense of being in Hyrule (which I attribute mostly to the sound and music).
Although I respectfully disagree, I do get what you mean. I saw a lot of hate for BotW's more subdued soundtrack but I love it. I think it fits the vibe of that game very, very well. When the music does swell, during the Divine Beast segments or at Hyrule Castle, it makes those pieces hit that much stronger. BotW's music is perfect.

I think for me it's a time-and-place thing. For a soft, immersive, exploration game like Zelda, a lower-profile soundtrack makes sense. And maybe it's just conditioning but I want a grand, booming OST in a narrative-focused JRPG like Xenoblade or Final Fantasy, that I'll listen to on its own for years like it's a standalone album.

Again, I totally get what you're saying. Just wanted to throw my hat in as a lover of both low-profile and high-profile OSTs, since you mentioned the unwarranted hate BotW got.

And just an aside, you bringing up Mor Ardain has that music now stuck in my head and I'm humming it as I walk around right now. 😅

I love Xenoblade music, including the ending themes, but i personally think Drifting Soul is better than all of them

Great! Thanks for checking! The product page on Square Enix's store wasn't very helpful. Hopefully, that's accurate (don't worry, I won't blame you if it's not lol)
If I remember correctly the US and Japan have the same region code, so if you're from there you should be fine, even if it's not region free.

I prefer XC2's soundtrack to XC1's, and on XC1's I also prefer Mechonis to Bionis music, other than Future Connected. I think when I played XC1 for the first time the first track that stood out to me, other than the title theme, was Mechonis Field.

Torna - Day theme is by far my favorite Xenoblade music.

It's divine, like it's gifted straight from heaven.

Uraya Day and Leftheria Night. Both lovely songs to accompany a drive in the rain, I've found.
(and while they aren't exactly standouts, somehow the Sylvalum themes give me feelings)
Aren't standouts? Isn't Sylvalum like one of the more popular tracks, especially the Night version?
The Sylvalum tracks are so beautiful and two of my favourites.

I actually never was the biggest fan of Gaur Plains, which seems really popular. I prefer Gormott over it. The Day version has the choir, the Night version has this amazing intro, then there's the Torna version, the "I can't wait to see what Torigoth looks like" version........

Tantal - Night Theme is one of my favourite in the series. It reminds me a lot of JRPGs soundtracks from the PS1 era.

Aren't standouts? Isn't Sylvalum like one of the more popular tracks, especially the Night version?

I actually never was the biggest fan of Gaur Plains, which seems really popular. I prefer Gormott over it. The Day version has the choir, the Night version has this amazing intro, then there's the Torna version, the "I can't wait to see what Torigoth looks like" version........
Torna Gormott has the sickest drum solo in gaming iirc

Uraya Day and Leftheria Night. Both lovely songs to accompany a drive in the rain, I've found.
(and while they aren't exactly standouts, somehow the Sylvalum themes give me feelings)
Oh MAN those are great tracks. Swap out Leftheria Night for Leftheria Day and you've got my numbers 2 and 3.

Ugh, can't take this bad-mouthing of the XB1 OST any longer. Gaur Plains is one of the most iconic tracks in the series. Suffice to say I disagree.

XC1 is weird for me because while I really did enjoy it in the moment; its songs haven't stuck with me the same way that XC2's and even Xenogear's soundtracks have. There's a few songs (Fallen Arm, Refugee Camp, Frontier Village) that I've continued to listen to long after playing it, but its not like XC2 or XG where I have whole playlists dedicated to them.

Of course, its all personal preference and I could easily see someone else thinking the exact opposite of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom