• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also while the line "What good's filling up these flickering clocks in our eyes?" is a bit ambiguous in English, subtitles in other European languages make it clear Eunie is talking about literal clocks inside their eyes. The original Japanese also makes it clear, although it uses the word 瞳 (pupil) rather than the whole eye.
Huh. I assumed it was the figurative meaning since it just makes sense in the context of the line, but it kinda works either way if there are literal clocks. Neat.
that purple tint could also be an artistic decision for contrast. as for the "clocks in their eyes", it could also be flowery language. it doesn't look literal.

if there was an intentional clock motif in the eyes, it would be more obvious . Takahashi can be subtle, but not like that. I can't recall any design aspect that had meaning not looking the part in any of his games.

and it's not like they don't know how to make eye designs extremely striking to make a point

maxresdefault.jpg
If it's literal in other languages - especially Japanese - I'm pretty sure that's just how it is.

I imagine it's just difficult to see in the shots we have. I'm sure we'll get some close-ups where it's particularly obvious.

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing some fallen arm-like fingers in the background of one of the shots
The Distant Fingertip is pretty unmistakable here:
7Uf7KpG_d.webp

(0:57 into the trailer)

Huh. I assumed it was the figurative meaning since it just makes sense in the context of the line, but it kinda works either way if there are literal clocks. Neat.

If it's literal in other languages - especially Japanese - I'm pretty sure that's just how it is.

I imagine it's just difficult to see in the shots we have. I'm sure we'll get some close-ups where it's particularly obvious.
I should also clarify some of the european subtitles capitalize the word "clock" so it’s most likely referring to a new concept or invention introduced in the game and not necessarily to a clock with numbers on it like one might imagine.

Last edited:

rated in AU, same as XC2 except sex is very mild as opposed to none, seems like changing armor/clothing is returning
We are finally allowed to have implied sex off-screen again

rated in AU, same as XC2 except sex is very mild as opposed to none, seems like changing armor/clothing is returning

"Xenoblade 3 rated in Australia, increased sexual content compared to Xenoblade 2" would be a fun thread title for some other place...

Oh shit yeah, yellow circle nudity!

What's uh, what's yellow circle nudity?
Yellow circle is the same thing Xenoblade 2 received, if that narrows it down. Actually all the circles are in the same place between XB2 and 3 save for one: XB2 had "None" for sex and XB3 shows a green circle for "Very Mild."

But I don't quite know what Australians consider "very mild" in that regard so we shall see. 🤷‍♂️

Yellow circle is the same thing Xenoblade 2 received, if that narrows it down. Actually all the circles are in the same place between XB2 and 3 save for one: XB2 had "None" for sex and XB3 shows a green circle for "Very Mild."

But I don't quite know what Australians consider "very mild" in that regard so we shall see. 🤷‍♂️

Oh shit.

Australians consider murder bears that drop from trees to eat your face and absolutely fucking jacked marsupials very mild.

Oh shit.

Australians consider murder bears that drop from trees to eat your face and absolutely fucking jacked marsupials very mild.
I just asked my Aussie friend what they consider "very mild" in terms of sexual content and she said she doesn't even know, so I can only assume that means it's even more intense than drop bears.

Same here, Uraya is probably the most gorgeous environment in XC2 so I’m happy that one is back and can’t wait to see what they do with it if we go
Uraya's my favorite area from 2 but I'm not expecting it to look at all the same here. It's at the top of a snowy mountain and at the end of the trailer, we can see entry into Uraya's stomach is covered in snow.

A lot of the merged areas are very expected by having similar biomes merge together. We know Gormott and Bionis Leg are fused as are Leftheria and Eryth Sea, but then we see Fallen Arm has become a desert, presumably merged with Mor Ardain, despite being a greener more tropical environment in 1. So I think they'll try to mix things up by having some areas merge with different biome types. I'm guessing Uraya is now a snow area merged with Valak Mountain as opposed to the more obvious merging of Valak Mountain with Tantal. There could be caves and tunnels that look more like Uraya as we knew it. Maybe we'll be able to find the frozen ruins of Fonsa Myma. That would also mean Tantal has had a change of biome (if it's returning). There was concept art of a greener Tantal in the art book, maybe we'll see it, perhaps it'll be merged with Satorl.

I'm feeling confidant that the orange grass area where the six characters have their big fight is the Bionis Shoulder. The orange grass is just too distinctive. The rest of the area looks like rough rocky terrain, it makes me think Bionis Shoulder merged with Temperantia.

I just asked my Aussie friend what they consider "very mild" in terms of sexual content and she said she doesn't even know, so I can only assume that means it's even more intense than drop bears.

Hey, anyone could die the next day, might as well get it on if you made it through the day.

Looks like the "holier-than-thou" crowd will have a hard time derailing threads about this game, unlike Xeno 2.

Really looking forward to see the combat, after re-playing Xeno 1, I really dig more the original's combat over X, 2 or Torna.

This person in the video also told Noah, Mio and the others that they are not enemies. I feel like I know this person, but he seems to have a similar vibe...! What in the world is this land where the big sword is standing?

Oh yeah, our Nopon tribe is also making an appearance in Xenoblade 3! There's Riku, a Nopon with dapper, thick eyebrows, and Manana, a Nopon wearing a cocked hat. We'll have to wait and see what kind of Nopon they are!

look like Monopon went back to hibernate again.

Do hope the childhood friends trio is explored from a different angle as it feels like a bit of a rehash of Shulk, Reyn and Fiora. Find it a bit uninteresting because of that, but I'm sure they'll make it feel fresh and hopefully won't just focus the story around only Noah and that Lantz and Eunie won't get brushed aside.

Last edited:
Definitely confirms the Xeno 1 x Xeno 2 factions and the fact that the Vandham character is what unites our 2 parties of 3, no?

Hammer is now an attack-type. Interesting. I guess that balances out each trio of atk-tnk-hlr.

Evasion (or it's equivalent naming) was the most broken stat in both XC and XC2. Stack agility and use Mythra and Shulk, and you pretty much won't get hit in XC2.

Mio best character confirmed?!

Keep in mind we've already seen that the party is 4 characters this time around.
Well yes but in theory both parties should start as separate trios at first, depending on where the plot begins. Although it's possible it starts right as they join together.

Well yes but in theory both parties should start as separate trios at first, depending on where the plot begins. Although it's possible it starts right as they join together.

I assume they'll join up fairly early, so for most of the game the party composition can be more complicated than DPS+Tank+Support, especially if there are other, unrevealed characters.

I have updated the OP. I’ll take any suggestions/feedback.

I’ve also added a poll. Choose wisely! ;)

annoyed at myself for not noticing that Eunie was autocorrected to Eunice

I also think they'll want to get the characters together quickly to open up the gameplay faster. XC2 was criticised for rolling out it's systems too slowly. Torna improves on that (I know they had to due to game length) but hopefully that's something they've taken to heart.

Keep in mind we've already seen that the party is 4 characters this time around.
Well we see 4 characters on the map, but after that tweet I'm starting to wonder if it means what we think it does or if battles are closer to Torna with each squad having two active members on the map. It would leave room for at least 3 more party members to be revealed as well. It probably wouldn't be the exact same but it's a possibility I think.

It takes way too long to get Zeke in 2, you even get a 'spoiler' party member before him.

Romance in 3 already seems a bit predictable, Noah and Mio will get together, Eunie will be Melia'd/Nia'd and the other 2 from Agnus will have some ship bait but no officially confirmed relationship.

Well we see 4 characters on the map, but after that tweet I'm starting to wonder if it means what we think it does or if battles are closer to Torna with each squad having two active members on the map. It would leave room for at least 3 more party members to be revealed as well. It probably wouldn't be the exact same but it's a possibility I think.
Yeah. While there have been some one off changes, specially in XCX to accommodate multiplayer, in general they have been iterating over the combat. One clear example: 1 character with 1 weapon > 1 char with 2 weapons > 1 char with 3 weapons/followers > 3 chars. So, I doubt they will be back to controlling 1 character.

I don't think the squads will be fixed though. It worked on a short game like Torna, but I expect a lot more of party customization in a full game, just like you could pretty much get any combination of Blades in 2.

Yeah. While there have been some one off changes, specially in XCX to accommodate multiplayer, in general they have been iterating over the combat. One clear example: 1 character with 1 weapon > 1 char with 2 weapons > 1 char with 3 weapons/followers > 3 chars. So, I doubt they will be back to controlling 1 character.

I don't think the squads will be fixed though. It worked on a short game like Torna, but I expect a lot more of party customization in a full game, just like you could pretty much get any combination of Blades in 2.
Yes, a more expanded and customizable version of Torna was one of the ideas that came to mind. Like, maybe you can make your own teams/pairings this time, for example a tank and healer team with Lanz and Eunie... But that's just speculation of course
Man I really want to know about the combat

Do we think it might be possible that the seeming wonkiness in the ages of some of the characters somehow ties into the clocks/living to fight, fighting to live theme? It seems that at some point the clock starts ticking on your life and the only way to fill it up is the war (re: death, and likely the off-seer flute ceremony)

It's not a fully fleshed out thought yet, but maybe they count ages differently in this world, based on when their clocks start? Of course we would assume that clocks start at birth, but maybe it's based on maturity, or more likely something we simply cannot guess at this point. I don't know, just spitballing here.

I chose Keves side precisely because of Melia.

Regarding the battle system, wasn't there a quote about Future Connected being a teaser of the next Xenoblade battle system or did I dream it?

Regarding the battle system, wasn't there a quote about Future Connected being a teaser of the next Xenoblade battle system or did I dream it?

Well Future Connected was just Nopon in place of chain attack and no foresight. I can't see how it would be the basis for a new system really.

Nice to have confirmation Mio is the dodge tank. I'll probably play as her the most then like Morag.

It's interesting Taion is described as a supporter but not a healer like Eunie. One of my biggest wants for combat is the return of actual status effects and utility arts (not just buff/debuff arts but interesting tactical moves like Battle Soul/Blood Sacrifice, Essence Exchange, or Brainjack + Servant Sacrifice as well) which were sorely missing in xb2. Having buffs be passive things that your blade did in the background is something that's always kept me from loving 2's combat as much as 1 and X so I'm really hoping Taion's description as a tactician/supporter means player input buffs are back. Torna re-introduced player input utility arts with its version of talent arts, even if it was just one per character, so I think Monolith knows people want more to do than just damage and heal.

We also still need to see how rigid these roles are. After what X and 2 accomplished with customization and build options, it's hard to believe they'd go back to xb1's style of one weapon and playstyle per character even though it kind of looks like that at the moment.

I agree with what some others said about having the two teams join early on. It could be interesting to switch between the two perspectives for a while but gameplay-wise we shouldn't wait half the game before we can begin experimenting with different party compositions.

Looks like the twitter account's going quiet for a while. I'm so excited to see more, especially combat, the wait for E3 is agonizing lol! I was looking back through the twitter account's posts and it seems daily weekday tweets for Xenoblade 2 started mid-September, about three months before launch in December. E3 would be about the same length of time before 3's September release. I wonder if they'd restart weekday updates right after E3. So we could get another trailer that reveals the combat system, followed by a treehouse segment that goes in-depth with the combat and customization options, followed by daily twitter updates up to release. We could have a constant news cycle starting from E3 to release!

Last edited:

IIRC the quote from the devs was more vague, like that FC was a teaser of the future direction of Xenoblade, not necessarily anything specific like its battle system. Honestly I'd expect Torna to be more of a taste of the future battle system than FC was.

I picked Agnus because they seem like the more fun bunch. Noah seems like the type to be brooding in a corner. "Why must Reploids continue to fight each other?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom