• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lanz and Sena profile drops. I translated this Lanz tweet with DeepL and...

"Lantz has been living with Noah since he was a child, and due to a certain incident in the past, he thinks that he will protect his friends even if it costs him his life. Perhaps because of this, he often takes his own life lightly and acts recklessly, which worries me."

The death flags I'm getting from this. If they kill off the first-ever Machina party member I am going to be upset.

Lanz (CV: Kosuke Tanabe), a soldier from Keves like Noah, is an 18-year-old who uses his large physique to his advantage, freely handling a large sword that can also be used as a shield. He is a reliable ally who fights while protecting his friends.
Lantz has been living with Noah since he was a child, and due to a certain incident in the past, he thinks that he will protect his friends even if it costs him his life. Perhaps because of this, he often takes his own life lightly and acts recklessly, which worries me.

Senna (CV: Miyuki Sato), a soldier of Agnus, is an 18-year-old who uses a giant hammer. She is 18 years old and works with Mio. Her hair and parts of her body glow blue, and she's freaky!
Senna has been spending time with Mio for a long time, and she even looks up to Mio, who is a year older than her, as if she were her big sister. Her hobby is muscle training, and she is proud of her strength and is cheerful and energetic. However, she is shy and doesn't seem to have much confidence in herself.

So if Lanz is Machina he shouldn't have an adult body for another 1800 years or so. And if Sena is a standard Blade it seems like something might have changed about Blade resonance or Blades in general since Sena has a set age.

So if Lanz is Machina he shouldn't have an adult body for another 1800 years or so. And if Sena is a standard Blade it seems like something might have changed about Blade resonance or Blades in general since Sena has a set age.
I think something weird is going on with ages and existence in general on Aionios. Maybe linked to the clocks talked about in the trailers?

He doesn't look fully Machina and more like a cross-breed. Sena is likely the same.

While Lanz sounds a lot like Reyn, the few details they give on his character do make it sound like they might be exploring him from a bit of a different angle than they did Reyn. Interesting stuff.

I kind of feel like Senna has been forgotten about a bit in recent days, but I like how they're positioning her and Mio. She sounds like she could be fun to be around.

Nia figure is available for preorders

Lanz is probably more human than he is machina. Maybe his mixed race ancestors continued to marry humans so it's probably that he took machina's looks and strength, but has a human aging in the end. Or he's just Newt and Padraig's long-lost son, idk.

As for Senna's age, since Pneuma got the whole administrator powers from Klaus, she probably changed how blades evolve and live, to be more like humans. Or Klaus just did that right before he died. Or maybe just like any other blade she is just forever 18. Just my speculation.

Either way, nice to get more character info, especially Senna.

Last edited:
After seeing Lanz's age I'm really curious to see Eunie's age. She is supposed to be a High Entia so she should be at least 40/50 years old even if her lifespan was shortened sensibly compared to Melia. If she too is 18-19 then there is definitely something weird going on in Aionis.

The 3 of them are said to be childhood friends so Eunie will almost certainly also be around 18

After seeing Lanz's age I'm really curious to see Eunie's age. She is supposed to be a High Entia so she should be at least 40/50 years old even if her lifespan was shortened sensibly compared to Melia. If she too is 18-19 then there is definitely something weird going on in Aionis.
It’s this planet…it’s something about this planet.

This story never ends.

Last edited:
I want to play Xeno X now
LbJ.gif

In terms of characters who age slowly or are immortal, there’s a lot more of those in XC2 due to all the blades, flesh eaters, blade eaters stuff.

I’m struggling to think of a lot from XC1. I mean the high entia have Melia. Her brother is dead, that really only leaves Tyrea and Yumea I guess? And the Machina only have Vanea and her father no?

In terms of characters who age slowly or are immortal, there’s a lot more of those in XC2 due to all the blades, flesh eaters, blade eaters stuff.

I’m struggling to think of a lot from XC1. I mean the high entia have Melia. Her brother is dead, that really only leaves Tyrea and Yumea I guess? And the Machina only have Vanea and her father no?
Yumea is dead, you kill her in Telethia form during the Melancholy Tyrea sidequest, which Future Connected makes very much canon. As for the Machina there's Vanea, Miqol, Linada, and Radzam that could potentially show up in terms of secondary characters that aren't just named NPCs for sidequests and Affinity Chart stuff.

I think they’re probably going to use fewer old characters than you think.

I say that purely because I don’t think there’s too many characters from XC who you could realistically bring back who people actually care about (said with respect).

And a lot of characters who could come back from XC2, you could miss due to the gacha. Does anyone care if half the blades come back?

Even a lot of main party blades could have completely different personalities now too.

They’ve also got to flesh out six(+) new party members, new villains, side characters and so on.

You never know though!

I’d love the lore to explain what happened to our heroes through side quests, etc.

Give me Zeke’s Mountain. lol

I do want to see Alvis and Pyra/Mythra - and Shulk and Rex in some capacity. Malos would be awesome, but not sure they’d bring him back.

There's definitely something funky going on with the character ages. Lanz in particular looks way too old to be an 18 year old Machina.
I feel like I should try to play Xenogears and Xenosaga before this game comes out.
Yeah, Xenogears was something I'd already gone back and played, but I started on Xenosaga recently because I had a hunch it would be relevant after Future Connected. Definitely going to make sure I finish that before September, now.

So... do you guys think the twitter info drops are gonna stop after tonight, once all 6 known playable characters are covered? Or do you think they may go into other characters like Vandham 4, the blond off-seer, and the Nopon? Maybe lore about areas shown in the trailer?

So... do you guys think the twitter info drops are gonna stop after tonight, once all 6 known playable characters are covered? Or do you think they may go into other characters like Vandham 4, the blond off-seer, and the Nopon? Maybe lore about areas shown in the trailer?
I think they'll stop. It's too early to reveal anything else. The playable characters are enough for now.

XBC X will be a next year title, or maybe the year after to close out the Switch.

It kinda depends on if XBC3 has or needs its own Torna.

Ridiculously handsome protagonist!

Yes your majesty?

I need you to go on a mission beyond our borders, where you definitely won't see or be challenged by any outside ideas.

looks at magic tattoo on hand.

will I still get my 4 years?

Lanz and Sena profile drops. I translated this Lanz tweet with DeepL and...

"Lantz has been living with Noah since he was a child, and due to a certain incident in the past, he thinks that he will protect his friends even if it costs him his life. Perhaps because of this, he often takes his own life lightly and acts recklessly, which worries me."

The death flags I'm getting from this. If they kill off the first-ever Machina party member I am going to be upset.
He'll be fine. Lanz is gonna be another Reyn, probably the comic relief as well since there is no playable nopon in sight.

He gives off Reyn and Zeke vibes design-wise, which is enough. Though we've seen very little of him so far

He gives off a little bit of Reyn in that he's beefy and a childhood friend of Noah. But his design is also reminiscent of a Machina.

This dude's vibe doesn't scream comic relief either:
Zeke-portrait.png

But before you know it:
e79c03643ac41bfc3c8e38324c5e435035a4eae6v2_hq.jpg

True I suppose. Though my perception of him is based on his bio of how he became friends with Noah apparently through a serious incident and his "I refuse to believe you're him" line where he sounds angry. Obviously I could be wrong, but that's my initial impression.

I also just don't think they're going to write him completely as another Reyn. That wouldn't be interesting and I'm hoping they'll explore him from a different angle. I'm confident they will.

Last edited:
He doesn't look fully Machina and more like a cross-breed. Sena is likely the same.
Agreed. I actually didn't even think Machina during the trailer at all and was surprised to see that be such a strong consensus among fans; in motion, his model reminds me strongly of the Indoline. Even now I barely see Machina.

But that wouldn't really fit the whole Bionis(/Mechonis) vs. Alrest thing that's going on.

Yuni (CV: Megumi Ban), a soldier of Keveth, is 18 years old and is a wielder of a gun rod, a gun in the shape of a staff. She is a childhood friend of Noah and Lanz, and seems to be good at recovery in battle. I've seen those wings on her head somewhere before...!
Yuni has a very frank personality, which is probably why she's a bit outspoken. She's also the most crass member of the group, but she's good at classroom learning. She respects Noah and has a good relationship with Lanz, who she can say whatever she wants to. She also seems to have a stronger sense of responsibility for her friends than most people.

Agnus's soldier "Tyon" (CV: Ryohei Kimura) is a wielder of a mysterious paper-like weapon, the Katashiro (形代), and he's even named it Mondo and loves it. He is 18 years old, a thoughtful tactician who is good at supporting his friends. He wears dark glasses and an orange scarf as his trademark!
Taeon works together with Mio and Senna, and Mio and the others trust him for his high level of insight and tactical judgment. While he has a strong personality, he can also be overly cautious and can become blunt when he gets impatient, which can be a bit of a problem.

Okay, anyone else really liking what we've heard of this cast so far? I think all of them have some solid basis for some neat stuff. I really hope they all get to shine in one way or another and don't fall to the wayside like Sharla... or heaven forbid, Roc.

It seems Eunie will be a favorite in the game because she's crass lmao.

Also, her being 18 makes her defy High Entia aging rules, just like the other cast defying theirs.

Diving back into XC2 is reminding me why I love the blade sidequests. Getting Praxis and Theory, Vess, Herald, Poppi’s Upgrades, etc. through special sidequests brought back memories of optional party members in old JRPGs - feels like you don’t get that a lot these days. Stuff like Gogo and Umaro in FFVI, Yuffie and Vincent in VII. Ms Mowz in TTYD.

I don’t know if XC3 will have anything like blades, and to be honest putting in optional blades through little sidequests like that is probably easier than making whole new party members, but I hope they find a way to implement that somehow.

Also 2 made each party member feel special and unique, which I also hope comes back. By this I don’t mean just giving everyone different moves, but some having quirks that just make them operate differently - many of these quirks are the result of big story moments, ensuring that the player is actually feeling the effect of what’s going on in the story through the gameplay.

• Rex becoming a master driver and able to equip any blade
  • Nia finally unlocking her Blade potential, allowing the player to chose whether she takes the role of blade or driver
  • Tora only being able to equip the Poppi’s because he’s not a driver, but Poppi having a unique upgrade system unique only to her
  • Pyra growing into Mythra and then Pnuema as the game goes on not only adds to the story, but gameplay as well, giving Rex unique combat options as her character develops

Diving back into XC2 is reminding me why I love the blade sidequests. Getting Praxis and Theory, Vess, Herald, Poppi’s Upgrades, etc. through special sidequests brought back memories of optional party members in old JRPGs - feels like you don’t get that a lot these days. Stuff like Gogo and Umaro in FFVI, Yuffie and Vincent in VII. Ms Mowz in TTYD.

I don’t know if XC3 will have anything like blades, and to be honest putting in optional blades through little sidequests like that is probably easier than making whole new party members, but I hope they find a way to implement that somehow.

Also 2 made each party member feel special and unique, which I also hope comes back. By this I don’t mean just giving everyone different moves, but some having quirks that just make them operate differently - many of these quirks are the result of big story moments, ensuring that the player is actually feeling the effect of what’s going on in the story through the gameplay.

• Rex becoming a master driver and able to equip any blade
  • Nia finally unlocking her Blade potential, allowing the player to chose whether she takes the role of blade or driver
  • Tora only being able to equip the Poppi’s because he’s not a driver, but Poppi having a unique upgrade system unique only to her
  • Pyra growing into Mythra and then Pnuema as the game goes on not only adds to the story, but gameplay as well, giving Rex unique combat options as her character develops

Takahashi: Something that has impressed me recently was Grand Theft Auto V. They managed to marry the gameplay and story”

It's clearly something Takahashi values and it's been a constant in every Xenoblade game so I have no worries on that front.

Okay, anyone else really liking what we've heard of this cast so far? I think all of them have some solid basis for some neat stuff. I really hope they all get to shine in one way or another and don't fall to the wayside like Sharla... or heaven forbid, Roc.
One thing I'm not keen on is the over-usage of "friendship". It feels like boilerplate squad descriptions and doesn't leave much room for unique dynamics when half the cast are childhood friends. Now I'm afraid this is gonna fall into some "power of friendship" shit that can stop wars somehow

Wait and see and all that, but the descriptions are the worst part of the characters so far

The age of the characters have me super intrigued. Can't wait to learn the explanation behind that, as right now it doesn't make much sense.

Xenoblade X ending spoilers

PBnS3p1.jpg

No further explaination will be given.

One thing I'm not keen on is the over-usage of "friendship". It feels like boilerplate squad descriptions and doesn't leave much room for unique dynamics when half the cast are childhood friends. Now I'm afraid this is gonna fall into some "power of friendship" shit that can stop wars somehow

Wait and see and all that, but the descriptions are the worst part of the characters so far

I think the dynamics presented are actually really unique. This is a party where you have essentially two groups from different sides coming together (for maybe a rather functional reason?) where some will clearly be more friends with each other and some less. Lots of potential for conflict there.

I wonder if Eunie will swear like Malos did - her description reminds me of Kaine from NieR.

I wish you hadn’t posted this, now I’m just gonna be disappointed whenever she opens her mouth and it’s not Malos’ voice coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom