• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will be the 6 GOTY nominations at The Game Awards 2023?

(PICK 6) What will be the 6 GOTY nominations at The Game Awards 2023?

• Fire Emblem Engage

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 329 62.8%
  • Dead Island 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Votes: 98 18.7%
  • Redfall

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 516 98.5%
  • Street Fighter 6

Votes: 129 24.6%
  • Diablo 4

Votes: 184 35.1%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 386 73.7%
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong

Votes: 114 21.8%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 28 5.3%
  • Starfield

Votes: 418 79.8%
  • Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

Votes: 94 17.9%
  • Assassin’s Creed Mirage

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

Votes: 383 73.1%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 31 5.9%
  • (edit) Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Votes: 49 9.4%
  • (edit) Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 85 16.2%
  • (edit) Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With Silksong seeming unlikely for 2023, I'm switching my 6th vote from that to Armored Core 6.

RE4
TOTK
FFXVI
Starfield
AC6
Spider-man 2

We still have Jedi, Diablo, Street Fighter, Super Mario, and Alan Wake as possibilities still as well. This year is genuinely one of the harder years to predict with how much high regarded stuff we're getting. It's nuts.

Most of the picks are pretty easy.

Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy XVI, and Tears of the Kingdom are absolute locks of the games that have released.

Starfield, Spider-Man 2, and Mario Wonder have the biggest chance of the games yet to release. Starfield and Mario in particular both seem like 90+ Metacritic games in the making. And Spider-Man 2 seems better than 1 which was already a highly considered GOTY caliber game.

I thought Hi-Fi Rush had a chance to sneak in there, but I'm not so sure anymore considering that competition.

The Famiboards policy on discussing this game has been clear for a long time. Considering your prior ban for dismissing concerns around bigotry, you have been banned for a month. - xghost777, PixelKnight, Irene
No one saying Hogwarts Legacy, a game that’s likely to sell 20m-25m copies in its first year, because it “he who must not be named”?

No one saying Hogwarts Legacy, a game that’s likely to sell 20m-25m copies in its first year, because it “he who must not be named”?
It selling 20 million copies doesn't stop it from being a pretty mediocre game by a lot of accounts, especially in games industry circles, and a lot of the people who vote on the Game Awards noms are games industry people. I don't see it making the cut with all the competition it has (plus its baggage, as you mentioned).

So far I'd say personally:
Resident Evil 4 Remake (mastahpiece, don't let capcom haters make you think otherwise) > Tears of the Kingdom (mastahpiece?) > Pizza Tower (haven't finished it) > Final Fantasy XVI (still playing) > Dead Space remake (liked it a bit less than the original to be honest? something seemed off with the enemies)

Thank you for coming to my ted talk

The battle for Game of the Year is honestly a duel between two games: Tears of the Kingdom and Starfield. These are two ‘Game of the Generation’ type games that are just in their own league and stratosphere compared to everything else releasing this year and I do not see anything besting either of them. And despite Tears being such a phenomenal game, I can’t say with all certainty that it will top Starfield quite yet until we see that game release.

So right now:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Starfield
For two other slots, I’d say Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy 16 have their positions locked down. Two fantastic games that are deserving of their place and I feel confident in saying they have it.

2. Starfield
  3. Resident Evil 4
  4. Final Fantasy XVI
Now for an additional slot, I think Nintendo has swept in and straight up robbed someone of their coveted GotY nomination with Super Mario Bros. Wonder. I know we were all anticipating a potential 2D Mario announcement, but I don’t think any of us expected something so unique and wild that is unlike any 2D Mario before it. So yes, I believe Nintendo is looking at an unprecedented double nomination:

2. Starfield
  3. Resident Evil 4
  4. Final Fantasy XVI
  5. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Now for that final slot… honestly, take your pick. I can’t make a confident enough decision at this point to say who it could be. I feel super confident in the above five, and here’s my list of the potential games that could secure that #6 nomination:

• Armored Core 6: a new game by From Software, who tends to win GotY often.
  • Street Fighter 6: a new entry in the SF series that came out of the gate strong to high praise.
  • Spider-Man 2: first game was great, second could potentially be better. And single player, first party Sony games do tend to get those nominations.
  • Diablo IV: the return of another big franchise, also highly praised.
  • Baldur’s Gate 3: it has been a loooong time coming and is highly anticipated.

Last edited:
In a weaker year, it’d make the cut. 2023 is not a weaker year though.
Yeah, controversy aside, I think it's a very good game - from what I've read, didn't play it - but I don't think it will make the cut.

My expectation:
Zelda
Starfield
Super Mario Wonder
FFXVI
Spider-Man
Diablo 4

Left RE4 out cause it's a remake but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it, it's a great remake of a true classic.

For repeating ignorant transphobic dogwhistles, you have been permanently banned. -xghost777, PixelKnight, MondoMega, Irene
It selling 20 million copies doesn't stop it from being a pretty mediocre game by a lot of accounts, especially in games industry circles, and a lot of the people who vote on the Game Awards noms are games industry people. I don't see it making the cut with all the competition it has (plus its baggage, as you mentioned).
lolwut?what "baggage"? The only people bellyaching about this game are terminally online progressives on twitter and reddit and self hating woke white people desperate to prove they're "one of the good ones".Even then most are just angry that muh JK Rowling(who wasn't even involved in this games production) is the wrong kind of feminist. Show the average person the comments these people are seething over and at best they'd be completely indifferent. Hell,if anything they might actually respond that some of these comments are just blatantly obvious observations.(like the whole "men can't menstruate" thing.)

These sorts of people would absolutely seethe but they do not represent the average person that would be tuning in. Not even close to it.

Not saying the game even necessarily deserves the nomination but to claim that there'd be any "risk" in nominating it is kind of absurd.

lolwut?what "baggage"? The only people bellyaching about this game are terminally online progressives on twitter and reddit and self hating woke white people desperate to prove they're "one of the good ones".Even then most are just angry that muh JK Rowling(who wasn't even involved in this games production) is the wrong kind of feminist. Show the average person the comments these people are seething over and at best they'd be completely indifferent. Hell,if anything they might actually respond that some of these comments are just blatantly obvious observations.(like the whole "men can't menstruate" thing.)

These sorts of people would absolutely seethe but they do not represent the average person that would be tuning in. Not even close to it.

Not saying the game even necessarily deserves the nomination but to claim that there'd be any "risk" in nominating it is kind of absurd.

This pride month, why not take the opportunity to learn what transgender men are? Or perhaps develop a sense of empathy, try to understand the actual reasons trans people don't like an open transphobe like JK Rowling?

You still got two days left. Plenty of time to start!

See you dipshit, hope you didn't enjoy your very brief time here.

See you dipshit, hope you didn't enjoy your very brief time here.

Looks like they're gonna have plenty of free time to take my suggestion now! Happy Pride! 🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈

Of course, the offer's open to any others of their ilk who have no understanding of, or simply don't care about, trans people. Take what's left of pride month and educate yourselves!

Re. Hogwarts
Staff Communication
If anyone is unclear on the Famiboards policy around Hogwarts, it was based on community feedback leading to a ban on discussion on the game, and the HP series' author, in any form, way and capacity on Famiboards. You can find the reasoning explained at length here.

Essentially, we aren’t interested in hosting discussion around it, there are plenty of places to do so elsewhere. If you want to talk about this policy, please go to the mod feedback thread under Research and Development.

Last edited:
Mario wonder is giving me new hope for 2d Mario so it would be one of my picks.
zelda
resident evil
armoured core
final fantasy
spiderman

What a year though.

Yeah, controversy aside, I think it's a very good game - from what I've read, didn't play it - but I don't think it will make the cut.

My expectation:
Zelda
Starfield
Super Mario Wonder
FFXVI
Spider-Man
Diablo 4

Left RE4 out cause it's a remake but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it, it's a great remake of a true classic.
why would RE4 be left out for being a remake when FF7R and RE2 have been nominated before?

if remakes are eligible can metroid prime remaster be up for nomination? or would that not qualify due to it only being a visual update with the game play being unchanged?
Geoff has said all bets are off as far as what is eligible. Even games from previous years. It just depends on what outlets decide to vote for and the 6 highest choices get the noms.

It doesn't seem likely that a remaster would get enough traction to reach that high based on the past, though. Remakes have made it before, though, like FF7R and RE2.

XVI isn’t the 90+ shoe-in I thought it would be, but I still think it did well enough to make the cut

• Zelda
  • Starfield
  • RE4
  • SF6
  • XVI
  • Spiderman 2

SMB Wonder is a dark horse candidate. A 2D nintendo offering made it only 2 years before with Metroid Dread. I know Wonder doesn’t have the “holy shit Metroid 5 after 20 years!” going for it…. But escaping NSMB + first new 2D Mario in a decade is enough to build excitement and buzz, and if the game is great, it’s got a decent shot at picking up a nom imo.

There’s a chance Capcom could have 2, and from the point of view from someone who has played neither, but would probably vastly prefer RE4 - I actually hope it’s SF6 that gets it. Brand new game vs. a remake of a game that has been given its flowers many times over for nearly 20 years, as well as genre diversity.

Tears of the Kingdom
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

That should about cover it.

Mario Maker was one of the nominees in 2015 so 2D Mario sneaking in there is certainly possible if it's good enough. 2015 was also a way less competitive year, but still.

XVI isn’t the 90+ shoe-in I thought it would be, but I still think it did well enough to make the cut

• Zelda
  • Starfield
  • RE4
  • SF6
  • XVI
  • Spiderman 2

SMB Wonder is a dark horse candidate. A 2D nintendo offering made it only 2 years before with Metroid Dread. I know Wonder doesn’t have the “holy shit Metroid 5 after 20 years!” going for it…. But escaping NSMB + first new 2D Mario in a decade is enough to build excitement and buzz, and if the game is great, it’s got a decent shot at picking up a nom imo.

There’s a chance Capcom could have 2, and from the point of view from someone who has played neither, but would probably vastly prefer RE4 - I actually hope it’s SF6 that gets it. Brand new game vs. a remake of a game that has been given its flowers many times over for nearly 20 years, as well as genre diversity.
as much as SF6 deserves it, I don’t see any way a fighting game gets a GOTY nod. FH5 didn’t get one, and that was a similarly fantastic game in its own quote unquote niche genre that doesn’t get GOTY nods.

as much as SF6 deserves it, I don’t see any way a fighting game gets a GOTY nod. FH5 didn’t get one, and that was a similarly fantastic game in its own quote unquote niche genre that doesn’t get GOTY nods.
I think the big difference here is that a lot of the praise towards SF6 is how welcoming it is to newcomers. Critics lauded it as being more than “just another fighting game” which might be enough to push it into the nominees. Not to say that Forza wasn’t newcomer friendly, but the vibe behind FH5 was very much “just another Forza” which isn’t really the case for SF6.

if remakes are eligible can metroid prime remaster be up for nomination? or would that not qualify due to it only being a visual update with the game play being unchanged?
The remakes that have been nominated were all fairly substantial, going well beyond graphics. Prime Remastered is a lot closer to the Bluepoint remakes, which both scored 90+ and weren’t nominated. I expect Prime Remastered (and Dead Space) to follow suit.

I have two locks, plus the likelihood of other games (with my thoughts in parentheses)

Locks:
Final Fantasy 16
Tears of the Kingdom

Likely:
Resident Evil 4 (not a lock because its a remake, though its almost certainly a lock)
Spiderman 2 (not released so can't lock it, but Media predominately plays PS5, plus Insomniac will deliver)

Possible:
Dead Space (remake and may be overshadowed by RE4)
Diablo IV (unfavourable genre)
Silksong (not released but if it does and is of Hollow Knight quality, then it should be a lock)
Starfield (not released so can't lock it, but I think BGS will deliver)
Street Fighter 6 (unfavourable genre)

Longshots:
Alan Wake 2 (not released but unfavourable genre)
Armoured Core 6 (not released but unfavourable genre)
Assassin's Creed Mirage (not released but there will just be better selections)
Hogwarts Legacy (Great but not GOTY)
Pikmin 4 (not released but unfavourable genre)
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Great but had technical issues at launch)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (not released but unfavourable genre, plus Media will focus on Spider Man 2 during launch)

lots of other fun games this year, but these games seem like this year's contenders

I have two locks, plus the likelihood of other games (with my thoughts in parentheses)

Locks:
Final Fantasy 16
Tears of the Kingdom

Likely:
Resident Evil 4 (not a lock because its a remake, though its almost certainly a lock)
Spiderman 2 (not released so can't lock it, but Media predominately plays PS5, plus Insomniac will deliver)

Possible:
Dead Space (remake and may be overshadowed by RE4)
Diablo IV (unfavourable genre)
Silksong (not released but if it does and is of Hollow Knight quality, then it should be a lock)
Starfield (not released so can't lock it, but I think BGS will deliver)
Street Fighter 6 (unfavourable genre)

Longshots:
Alan Wake 2 (not released but unfavourable genre)
Armoured Core 6 (not released but unfavourable genre)
Assassin's Creed Mirage (not released but there will just be better selections)
Hogwarts Legacy (Great but not GOTY)
Pikmin 4 (not released but unfavourable genre)
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Great but had technical issues at launch)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (not released but unfavourable genre, plus Media will focus on Spider Man 2 during launch)

lots of other fun games this year, but these games seem like this year's contenders
Well, I think that's a very good summary of most major contenders and possible reasons. But we should remember that Smash was nominated in 2019.

Last edited:
Mario Wonder I could see being nominated in a slower year, but 2023 is fucking stacked and 2D platformers aren't the kind of games that wow critics.

If I had to guess, it'll be TOTK/D4/RE4make/FF16/Starfield/Spider-Man 2.

Zelda TOTK
Spiderman 2
FFXVI
Starfield
Silksong
either Jedi Survivor or RE4
sinsce Silksong is probably out, I'll change it to
  • TOTK
  • Starfield
  • FFXVI
  • RE4R
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Spiderman 2
There can be 1 indie game pushing out Either Spiderman 2 or Alan Wake 2. and Mario Wonder could push out the other if it's truly exceptional, but I don't see it happening becase it's a 2D<game in a very strong year.

Edit: forgot about Armoured core 6. So that will probably be a nomination

Last edited:
Love how everyone mostly agrees that the first five will be Zelda, Starfield, FF16, RE4, and Spider-Man 2. Never seen the lineup to have such a firm consensus while speculating.
Anyway, since Silksong likely won't be out until 2024 (and that might be better so it can get more attention) I'm changing my sixth vote to Street Fighter 6.

Yeah, Silksong is not gonna make it. I change my vote to RE4. Still feeling confident about my other picks.

RE4
Zelda TotK
FFXVI
Starfield
Spider-Man 2
Silksong (or another breakout indie game)

The first 3 I think are basically locks. RE4 has a 93 on metacritic last I checked, Zelda is the easiest 95+ of the year, and FF has a good chance to break into the low 90's as well.

We need to see more of Starfield and Spider-Man to judge how they'll score but the pedigree is there.

Feeling good about this list I made other than Silksong. Swap that out for Street Fighter VI and that's where I'm at. I'm not even sure if there's been a critical breakout indie yet this year?

I wish Pikmin 4 or Mario Wonder could make it but this year is so stacked with gigantic AAA games that they would need like 90 Metacritics to even be considered.

Last edited:
Some of the preview/buzz around Baldur's Gate 3 is making me think it'll review really highly. Might still not be popular enough of a genre to make a splash but I could see it easily reviewing above 90 which means it'll probably get some representation somewhere.

Some of the preview/buzz around Baldur's Gate 3 is making me think it'll review really highly. Might still not be popular enough of a genre to make a splash but I could see it easily reviewing above 90 which means it'll probably get some representation somewhere.
It'll get similar representation that Divinity II got in 2017. It's too niche of a genre to win much, but it'll get an RPG nod and maybe one or two others, but no GOTY nod.

I still can't see anything usurping D4 for the last spot, unless Armored Core suddenly reviews very well (88+ MC).

It'll get similar representation that Divinity II got in 2017. It's too niche of a genre to win much, but it'll get an RPG nod and maybe one or two others, but no GOTY nod.
Maybe, but if it's really spectacular I could see it getting into a lot of categories sort of in the same way that Disco Elysium did a few years ago. It really does seem to have a lot of buzz especially from the Games' Media space. And I feel like the Diablo 4 hype has cooled quite a bit, so I don't know that it'll make it in.

I don’t think ff16 is a lock.

We still have Starfield, Alan Wake 2 and Mario Wonder.

Street Fighter 6 Resident Evil 4 and starWars Jedi Survivor are really up there and they seem to have a better reception than FF16.

Zelda will hardly lose it, unless Starfield does something totally unexpected.

Mario Wonder making it would be a big surprise. 2D platformers generally have a rough go at the GOTYs, especially when the field is this stacked.

Zelda will hardly lose it, unless Starfield does something totally unexpected.
I’d say it’s the opposite. Starfield has a ton of hype behind it as arguably the first true next-gen defining game. It needs to do exactly what people are expecting out of it, because those expectations are ridiculously high.

If it somehow can live up to the hype, I’d say it’s the favorite. GOTY generally leans towards games that really shake things up, whether it be a new direction for a franchise or developer, or a new IP entirely. Starfield fits the bill, Tears I’m not so sure.

I’d say it’s the opposite. Starfield has a ton of hype behind it as arguably the first true next-gen defining game. It needs to do exactly what people are expecting out of it, because those expectations are ridiculously high.

If it somehow can live up to the hype, I’d say it’s the favorite. GOTY generally leans towards games that really shake things up, whether it be a new direction for a franchise or developer, or a new IP entirely. Starfield fits the bill, Tears I’m not so sure.

Not that Starfield won’t impress or win, but I think you’re downplaying just how much Tears shakes things up. It’s a triumph that the game is sitting at 96 despite being in the same setting, when we were all clamoring for just more new land to traverse. It’s a testament to just how good and novel the new mechanics are, how many engaging moments they’ve nestled into that same world, and how near untouchable the Zelda team’s approach to exploration remains.

When I see Starfield, I don’t immediately think of it as a fresh new IP - it’s a bigger more ambitious version of the same flavor of game that team has a reputation for making. “Skyrim in space”, Todd’s own words, were not really said in jest - a simplification of things for sure, but it was used to set gameplay expectations. Now considering it’s basically been since Fallout 3 or NV that they had a hit in this space, that’s reason enough to believe it’ll be a front runner if they stick the landing.

Edit: And to be clear I’m extremely excited about Starfield. I’d put Fallout 3 and Skyrim among my favorite PC titles.

I don't think FF16 deserves a GOTY spot at this point, but I am sure it will get one anyway because people seem to have vibed with it a lot more than I did on the whole

I don’t think we can say one way or the other without waiting for Starfield to release first. Though I will also challenge the notion that Tears of the Kingdom doesn’t “shake things up”.

I don't think FF16 deserves a GOTY spot at this point, but I am sure it will get one anyway because people seem to have vibed with it a lot more than I did on the whole

Call me a cynic, but being one of the bigger/more expensive console exclusives is also going to make some people very loud about it. VIIR had around the same meta and was a nominee back in 2020.

Call me a cynic, but being one of the bigger/more expensive console exclusives is also going to make some people very loud about it. VIIR had around the same meta and was a nominee back in 2020.
I know, I agree

I mean I think 7R actually deserved the nomination

I don't think 16 will

I've made my peace with it though, it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom