• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will be the 6 GOTY nominations at The Game Awards 2023?

(PICK 6) What will be the 6 GOTY nominations at The Game Awards 2023?

• Fire Emblem Engage

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 329 62.8%
  • Dead Island 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Votes: 98 18.7%
  • Redfall

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 516 98.5%
  • Street Fighter 6

Votes: 129 24.6%
  • Diablo 4

Votes: 184 35.1%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 386 73.7%
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong

Votes: 114 21.8%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 28 5.3%
  • Starfield

Votes: 418 79.8%
  • Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

Votes: 94 17.9%
  • Assassin’s Creed Mirage

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

Votes: 383 73.1%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 31 5.9%
  • (edit) Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Votes: 49 9.4%
  • (edit) Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 85 16.2%
  • (edit) Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Tears of the Kingdom
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Resident Evil 4 Remake
4. Starfield
5. Final Fantasy XVI
6. Spider-Man 2/Super Mario Bros. Wonder

I'm not saying y'all are unreasonably hyped by the Starfield footage

But given how the popular sentiment around TOTK is "this is the game that Breath of the Wild was a proof of concept for," Starfield is goign to need to be maybe the strongest release of all time to sweep out from under Zelda this year
Do not become addicted to the hype, my friends

Or else you will grow to resent its absence

It really going to be what game is in the public consciousness more when the award votes start bg3 or totk
This is why I expect BG3 to get it.

People are using that game as a referendum on 'the state of current AAA gaming' and that, in part, includes the issues they have with modern Zelda. Zelda is definitely the bigger game, and probably liked by more people out of sheer numbers, but it's also not as much of a 'Gamer's Game' as BG3 is; a lot of its design decisions are antithetical to what a review-voting gamer might want whilst BG3 is literally D&D as a big AAA RPG game.

Both games deserve it though, so I ain't gonna complain either way. My GOTY right now is Hi-Fi Rush anyways lol.

Yeah this is gonna come down to TOTK vs BG3

I could see BG3 winning because I think it wasn’t expected to be that good whereas people did expect that from a sequel to BOTW

Still leaning tokt side, bg3 is still a niche sub genre for the more casual audience and the ps5 version could end up being noticeable lesser then the PC version

They're gonna give it to BG3 just because TotK reuses a ton from BotW

Before I figured the same would have happened but with Starfield instead, and well...

Yeah at this point it willl be between BG3 and Zelda. Betting on the former, though it's will be hard af to predict a winner.

ok Starfield is not winning goty, it's going to be a race between totk and bg3 then.
I still think baldur's gate 3 is going to win since it's the first goty contender from Larian studios and it will be rewarded for the achievement, it's still close tho and I could see the big zelda blockbuster winning, I'd say we have a 65% chance for baldur's gate and a 35% for zelda.
Btw after the insane mario direct I could see the game having the same critical acclaim as mario odyssey and taking a spot for the goty nominations.

I think Starfield is still going to get a nomination. Review scores are still pretty high and it will of course be a very popular game. But I don't think it comes close to winning it all.

I like TOTK a fair bit more than BG3 but I kinda want BG3 to win at this point. Zelda is Zelda (and this dev team and this format has received due recognition); BG3 and Larian should be recognized for the amazing work they did.

Regardless of what wins, it was a great year for games. You can’t go wrong with any pick except the dumpster fire that is FF16

They're gonna give it to BG3 just because TotK reuses a ton from BotW
I see this sentiment a lot, not sure how much it matters really. I think if the reuse were a significant enough negative, it would have been reflected in the critical reception of the game. The end product has a significant amount of new content and mechanics. If BG3 wins, doubt it would be for this reason.

Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime got this one in the bag. Revenge of the kiddy lunchbox!
Me as a REmake 4 enjoyer

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.1470069300.png

Zelda vs. Baldur's Gate for GOTY then.

I assume Starfield's scope though will get it nominated.
Yeah, i think it would be between those 2. But for now, zelda has 2 times more 10/10 compared to bg3. Lets see how it would do on ps5.

I'm hoping Pikmin 4 wins just so I can see everyone in The Game Awards' audience stand in stunned silence and think to themselves "wait what?"

Then Miyamoto comes on stage, goes "Go do some gardening you fucks," (in Japanese, promptly translated by Bill Trinen), and then leaves.

Btw after the insane mario direct I could see the game having the same critical acclaim as mario odyssey and taking a spot for the goty nominations.
This is not a slight against 2D games AT ALL - I adore them - but I truly don't know if we will ever see any 2D title hit a 97 MC from this point forward. It feels like there is a bit of resentment in some gaming circles for any 2D games. 90+ MC for Mario Wonder would be a huge win in any case, and if that happens, I could actually see the game leapfrogging XVI and Spider-Man 2 for a coveted GOTY slot.

Now that Starfield reviews have released, a new thread/poll is up! We're good to close this one out!

The Forza reboot is another potential poll option since the series always reviews well (even though FH5 didn't get nominated in 2021 despite scoring 91-92 on Metacritic).
Forza released too late for consideration that year.

I'm hoping Pikmin 4 wins just so I can see everyone in The Game Awards' audience stand in stunned silence and think to themselves "wait what?"

Then Miyamoto comes on stage, goes "Go do some gardening you fucks," (in Japanese, promptly translated by Bill Trinen), and then leaves.
I bet it'll at least win Best Sim/Strategy

OP decided to reboot the thread so we are locking this one. -xghost777, Josh5890

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom