• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Unicorn Overlord |ST| Tactical Fantasy Rebirth

Seems like battles get quite a bit harder, more complex, and enemies start having real amounts of HP once you get into the level 10+ battles. I guess everything before rescuing Scarlett is still kind of a large tutorial.

Seems like battles get quite a bit harder, more complex, and enemies start having real amounts of HP once you get into the level 10+ battles. I guess everything before rescuing Scarlett is still kind of a large tutorial.
Yeah I was more or less steamrolling until that point but the first fight in Drakengard really gave me a run for my money, at least at first. Those Wyvern/Sellsword units don't mess around

The game was good from the start, but everything after the rescue mission is a whole new level of addicting. I've spent hours going around the first kingdom doing all the side content I can to find as many optional units as possible.

I ended my last session the with the fight and recruit Monica which was a level 12 mission, despite my units being 10 lower, that felt amazing.

I kind of want to see for how long I can put off doing the next level 10 main story mission.

So far I'm a little disappointed. Right now I don't like the battle system with the RTWP and the way your units move around, but I'm willing to accept that I'm still early (very early) and unfamiliar doesn't necessarily mean bad. The real disappointment is the lack of choice. I had to give up a bad guy who later escaped when the smart thing to do was obviously just cut his head off where he was! Stuff like that makes your hero unlikable over time because he comes off as a goof.

My copy arrives tomorrow, so I decided to start a new demo file but in the hardest difficulty. I ended in the same spot as the other demo file (normal) but I am in a higher level. So do you earn more exp in harder difficulty or is it just because fight dont end as easily?

“Okay ladies, with our victory pose we shall now hold our weapons vertically and with a stoic, solemn expression we gaze into the distance and reflect upon our fallen comrades and the horrors of war, and resolve to…”

“Chloe, no… what are you… sigh Chloe we talked about this!”

NE92CPL.jpeg

“Okay ladies, with our victory pose we shall now hold our weapons vertically and with a stoic, solemn expression we gaze into the distance and reflect upon our fallen comrades and the horrors of war, and resolve to…”

NE92CPL.jpeg
Chloe: "Ugh, Lex is such a muppet."
Also Chloe:

Kinda funny how the game, after doing the Rescue Scarlett mission, is basically thinking "so, player had enough easy time, let's get serious", starting with the first mission in Drakenheim.

Multiple paths to take care of, a lot of "be fast, you need to do something on the map" happenings (talk to the NPC Cleric to recruit, use the Cleric to recruit the Swordfighter, make sure you get to Berengaria fast enough before she get's overwhelmed by enemies), looooots of enemy reinforcements.

Thankfully, the devs gave you the option to grind, though the one "grind map" you have access to by that time kinda stops being useful once your folks hit lvl 9.

Though, i'd argue the best reward you get isn't EXP for your units, it's medals, so that you can increase the team sizes and the amount of teams.
That's prolly more important than raw levels.

I'm kinda glad i double-dipped with the digital version, because as of now Amazon still hasn't shipped my CE. It's not even "preparing to ship" or something.

Wondering what the actual fuck's going on with that.

Kinda funny how the game, after doing the Rescue Scarlett mission, is basically thinking "so, player had enough easy time, let's get serious", starting with the first mission in Drakenheim.

Multiple paths to take care of, a lot of "be fast, you need to do something on the map" happenings (talk to the NPC Cleric to recruit, use the Cleric to recruit the Swordfighter, make sure you get to Berengaria fast enough before she get's overwhelmed by enemies), looooots of enemy reinforcements.

Thankfully, the devs gave you the option to grind, though the one "grind map" you have access to by that time kinda stops being useful once your folks hit lvl 9.

Though, i'd argue the best reward you get isn't EXP for your units, it's medals, so that you can increase the team sizes and the amount of teams.
That's prolly more important than raw levels.

I'm kinda glad i double-dipped with the digital version, because as of now Amazon still hasn't shipped my CE. It's not even "preparing to ship" or something.

Wondering what the actual fuck's going on with that.
The thing that'll make your characters stronger the fastest is gear. Check every store for the magical stuff and use that to equip your units. A Sanguine Blade from the island harbor and a stronger shield on Lex is perhaps the biggest glow up of any character I've seen so far, but getting characters off of the bronze gear asap is a priority.

The thing that'll make your characters stronger the fastest is gear. Check every store for the magical stuff and use that to equip your units. A Sanguine Blade from the island harbor and a stronger shield on Lex is perhaps the biggest glow up of any character I've seen so far, but getting characters off of the bronze gear asap is a priority.

I'd argue a better shield is more important for Lex than a sword. Dude won't start hitting hard for a while, even with a good sword.
Not that he should to begin with, he's a tankish unit class. Best to team him up with units that are weak to archers and let those do the damage. ^^

I mean, of course if you want to make him an attacker, more power to you. But i'd argue that team setup is most important in this case, you would want to team him up with a witch for that magic weapon buff and a shaman.

I'd argue a better shield is more important for Lex than a sword. Dude won't start hitting hard for a while, even with a good sword.
Not that he should to begin with, he's a tankish unit class. Best to team him up with units that are weak to archers and let those do the damage. ^^

I mean, of course if you want to make him an attacker, more power to you. But i'd argue that team setup is most important in this case, you would want to team him up with a witch for that magic weapon buff and a shaman.
This is actually about making him a better tank. The Sanguine Blade has a life drain skill attached, which can replace Warding Slash. Since Lex's initiative is so low, Warding Slash ends up buffing his defenses after everyone else has attacked. However healing at the end of a fight is useful for the next one and for determining who actually wins and loses the encounter. Give him a better shield like I mentioned and he can actually tank more than one hit.

Honestly fighters are kinda overspecialized for how early they show up, since they're meant to block archers from murdering your rogues and fliers, but most maps in Cornia only have one or two archers. By the time you start Drakehold and Elheim with the larger maps and more complicated formations you're probably not going to remember you have a hard counter on the bench.

This is actually about making him a better tank. The Sanguine Blade has a life drain skill attached, which can replace Warding Slash. Since Lex's initiative is so low, Warding Slash ends up buffing his defenses after everyone else has attacked. However healing at the end of a fight is useful for the next one and for determining who actually wins and loses the encounter. Give him a better shield like I mentioned and he can actually tank more than one hit.

Honestly fighters are kinda overspecialized for how early they show up, since they're meant to block archers from murdering your rogues and fliers, but most maps in Cornia only have one or two archers. By the time you start Drakehold and Elheim with the larger maps and more complicated formations you're probably not going to remember you have a hard counter on the bench.

I'd argue even in the first part of the game it's useful to have Lex in a team and even as the leader. Usually archers are placed in defense towers or positioned in a way that your units don't reach them easily, so you gotta eat support damage from them. The leader skill of fighters reduces that.

And if you have enough VP, you can use Provoke to have them come to you.

In the end you can make Warding Slash work with a shaman and their debuff to initiative. Though personally i set Lex up with enough heal support and PP increase so that he can just eat lots of damage.

The Sanguine Blade is actually on my Berenice, set up with Tactics to use that skill when her HP is below 50% and the Killing Chain skill set up to priorize low health enemies. She can pretty much solo things, but is of course best used in a big team to make sure she gets lots of Following Slashes to leave enemies in that low health threshold. ^^

NE92CPL.jpeg

This might be your phone camera's image processing, but in your off-screen picture I'm seeing a lot of that oil painting effect in your image of the game. Might be that your TV's sharpness setting is cranked up a bit too high to where it's over-processing the image. Just thought I'd put that out there since you might not be getting the best picture you can out of this gorgeous game.

If there's one thing that kinda gets on my nerves, it's the amount of Honors needed for ... basically everything.

You need it to unlock more squads, though that's the least expensive thing to be fair.
You need it to unlock more slots on squads, which gets ... very expensive. (Up to 200 for the 5th squad slot)
You need it to promote units into advanced classes, and i think it varies how much you need per class.

Granted, "progress" in Honors unlocked stuff is locked behind your Renown rank. Like unlocking the 5th team slot and promotion is locked until you reach Renown rank B.
So you can theoretically farm "naturally" if you've done all unlocks you can at Renown rank C.

I know you can farm eternally as these special maps don't run out, but the second, for example, gives you around 10-20 Renown, depending on how fast you clear the map "fully".

I hope they adjust the prices juuuuust a little bit in a possible patch.

Knees deep into the second area (decided to go to Drakenhold first) and I'm absolutely loving it. Once promotions have been unlocked, some of my units have started to come together very nicely. Others I still need to put some more work into optimizing. I've pretty much decided to recruit everyone I can along the way, even though I'm sure most of them are destined to be eternal bench warmers, but such is life.

My CE is out for delivery... Today is the day! I hope.

May i ask where and when you preordered the CE?

Knees deep into the second area (decided to go to Drakenhold first) and I'm absolutely loving it. Once promotions have been unlocked, some of my units have started to come together very nicely. Others I still need to put some more work into optimizing. I've pretty much decided to recruit everyone I can along the way, even though I'm sure most of them are destined to be eternal bench warmers, but such is life.

There's ... a bit too much unit overlapping imo. At least early on (started the second area yesterday)?

For example, i don't know what i'm supposed to do with 3 warriors, and you (can) get them all in the first area even. Being in the second area (same as you are) actually makes me want more ranged units for example.

May i ask where and when you preordered the CE?
Amazon (US). I originally ordered the switch version when the game was announced and it was first available, but I switched to the PS5 version post the demo's release.

I finally got my copy and started yesterday. Still in the first missions and so far, they've been useful to understand each class, but then I got to that mission with the angel lady to rescue her friend, and I'm expecting something tailored to her flying over terrain to teach you how to use flying units, but no, the entire mission is filled with archers and watchtowers. Of course,the angel was dead in the second encounter

Amazon (US). I originally ordered the switch version when the game was announced and it was first available, but I switched to the PS5 version post the demo's release.

Wait you even switched preorders? Damn.

Ordered September 22nd last year, didn't touch the order so that no shenanigans happen, still not even shipped by Amazon (Germany)....

Wait you even switched preorders? Damn.

Ordered September 22nd last year, didn't touch the order so that no shenanigans happen, still not even shipped by Amazon (Germany)....
Yeah, at no point did Amazon US run out of stock of the PS5 or Xbox versions. Switch versions are gone though

So, one question regarding cavalry. Is there a reason they have multiple attacks (not counting the support abilities)? They only have one red gem, meaning they can only attack once, right? but then they got like 3 attacks in a fight (plus the follow up with support ability). So am I missing something here?

So, one question regarding cavalry. Is there a reason they have multiple attacks (not counting the support abilities)? They only have one red gem, meaning they can only attack once, right? but then they got like 3 attacks in a fight (plus the follow up with support ability). So am I missing something here?
Is it a speed thing? Only because in FE the higher the speed you are, the more chance you have of double attack. Just wondering if it’s something like that

Is it a speed thing? Only because in FE the higher the speed you are, the more chance you have of double attack. Just wondering if it’s something like that
I don't think so, that would mean thieves would go twice against heavy units but so far it hasn't been the case. Like I'm fine with them doing this, but maybe I missed something on the use of the red gems

The default cavalry attack, Assaulting Lance, refunds itself on a kill. It's quite good, especially early on

Put cav in a team with a high initiative unit, or a swordfighter, set Assaulting Lance via Tactics to priorize low health enemies, and enjoy the show.

E: Slap a sellsword to the same squad for ultimate follow-up and revenge-kill-with-recharge-shenanigans.

Put cav in a team with a high initiative unit, or a swordfighter, set Assaulting Lance via Tactics to priorize low health enemies, and enjoy the show.

E: Slap a sellsword to the same squad for ultimate follow-up and revenge-kill-with-recharge-shenanigans.
Sellsword becomes a self-sustaining meat grinder once it hits lvl 10 and gets its own refund on kill attack

I love how there’s so many cool micro combos to program for units. Still waiting for my copy to arrive…

This might be your phone camera's image processing, but in your off-screen picture I'm seeing a lot of that oil painting effect in your image of the game. Might be that your TV's sharpness setting is cranked up a bit too high to where it's over-processing the image. Just thought I'd put that out there since you might not be getting the best picture you can out of this gorgeous game.
It’s 100% my phone. For some reason taking pics of my screen always looks bad, but I’m too lazy to screencap lol

Something I noticed there is that while the game gives you a ‘choice’, the first mission in Drakenhold is level 9-10 while the first mission in Elheim is 14. So unless you are way overleveled or want a challenge it’s not much of a choice

Something I noticed there is that while the game gives you a ‘choice’, the first mission in Drakenhold is level 9-10 while the first mission in Elheim is 14. So unless you are way overleveled or want a challenge it’s not much of a choice
Didn’t even notice that, just went straight to Drakenhold and never looked back.

Now I wonder if levels increase for the Elheim missions once you cleared Drakenhold, because most of my units are currently around level 15-17 and I'd hate to just steam roll it later.

Didn’t even notice that, just went straight to Drakenhold and never looked back.

Now I wonder if levels increase for the Elhmeim missions once you cleared Drakenhold, because most of my units are currently around level 15-17 and I'd hate to just steam roll it later.
They don't, best option is to keep a B-squad of units modestly leveled for Elfland or switch to the B-team halfway through Dragonland. Overleveling is pretty easy in this game if you do most side missions.

They don't, best option is to keep a B-squad of units modestly leveled for Elfland or switch to the B-team halfway through Dragonland. Overleveling is pretty easy in this game if you do most side missions.
I think it’s too late for that now, unless I recruit a bunch of no-names. Oh well, lesson learned.

Another lesson I learned very recently is that you can actually fail side quests if you do the main objective first. Only happened once so far, and only for a single one, but it still stings.

I'd argue even in the first part of the game it's useful to have Lex in a team and even as the leader. Usually archers are placed in defense towers or positioned in a way that your units don't reach them easily, so you gotta eat support damage from them. The leader skill of fighters reduces that.

And if you have enough VP, you can use Provoke to have them come to you.

In the end you can make Warding Slash work with a shaman and their debuff to initiative. Though personally i set Lex up with enough heal support and PP increase so that he can just eat lots of damage.

The Sanguine Blade is actually on my Berenice, set up with Tactics to use that skill when her HP is below 50% and the Killing Chain skill set up to priorize low health enemies. She can pretty much solo things, but is of course best used in a big team to make sure she gets lots of Following Slashes to leave enemies in that low health threshold. ^^
I honestly haven't found making Lex leader helps with anything. Early on you can just run down archers with Josef or Clive. Later on it's only a threat if you have multiple enemies with overlapping coverage zones, and half of them will be mages anyway.

But add me to team Berengaria, damn she's cool. And they just give her to you after one mission. Two if you count the mission where you get Victoria I suppose. Also Victoria's cool, really like that she does super effective damage against the two most annoying classes for infantry to fight barring cavalry because we can't have nice things.

Even more ridiculous though is that you can just walk into Elheim and get the dark elf girl without doing any battling at all. She's got a unique class and her attacks do both physical and magical damage.

Last edited:
So, game is great. I DID make the mistake of not doing any rapports until I finished chapter one and using the tavern to get everyone's support conversations to level one...I'm not even halfway done. Help.

I want to play this game, but I found it impressive that this was voted as Famitsu's most wanted upcoming game

Got affairs in Drakenhold sorted and made my way over to Elheim. Luckily I'm not too badly over-leveled, even though I did all side quests so far (barring one liberation quest I managed to lock myself out from, boo).

I'm just planning on hopping around and doing whatever is next on the level curve. So going through Drakengard right now with some Northern Cornia mop up. Which did mean I got 3 Swordfighters in a row, which was pretty funny

The game really doesn't stop throwing units at you though, so one of those Swordfighters is currently benched

I feel like I'm too dumb to make any really optimized units with great synergy, but the game is pretty easy regardless on Tactical so I guess it's fine.

I have like a gazillion units/heros now, and I'm just mixing them all around willy nilly to see if I luck into something really strong.

Arghh I’m out of town for work tonight and stupidly didn’t bring my Switch because I didn’t think I’d need it and was in a hurry and now all I can think about is playing this game

Forgot to mention this, but one issue I ran into halfway through Drakenhold is that despite all the units the game throws at you, it's still not enough to post a guard at every town. Hiring some nobodies is the obvious solution, but I'm saving my honors for promotions and eventual capacity expansions. The dilemma!

Now this is funny, according to my Amazon(DE) order page for the CE, it's "expected to be delivered today up to 10 p.m.".

The only thing is ... it still wasn't dispatched by Amazon. I wonder how the page thinks i'm getting the game today.

Guess i have to contact their support tomorrow ... i'll give them today to finally ship it before i complain.

---
Did the sidequest that ends with recruiting Melisandre, and i noticed while scouting "her" area that you can interact with a gate there.

Alain notes that there's many enemy soldiers at a camp behind that gate, and that maybe the gate should be locked. You're getting a prompt to either lock it or leave it alone.

When you start the mission and end up halfway through the map, Melisandre will start her "emergency plan" ... which are said reinforcement soldiers behind that overworld gate. If you locked it, the reinforcements aren't able to join the battle, leaving her without any backup.

She and her retainer were like "well ... shit".

Thought that was super funny. Guess i will scout the areas before doing a battle now, maybe there's more sidequests where you can do that.

am I the only one that is findint it a little bit too obscoure/overwhelming in terms of info and gameplay structure?
I like it, a lot; the production values are there; the story doesn't seem amazing but not bad; the artstyle gorgeous
But I find it a little bit too hard in terms of expanation of game mechanics, that are a bizzarre mix of real-time strategy, resource and unit management and so on

I'm not talking about difficulty (also due to 4 different levels for this to choose among) but in terms of actual gameplay mechanics and logic - it's not that I'm not understanding it, but compared to the usual games I use to play it seems it requires a little bit of deeper understanding/mor focused attention

Oho, update! Amazon now lists my order with "Order received. You'll be contacted by e-mail once we have an estimated delivery date.".

What a fucking shitshow.

Gonna check Media Markt and Saturn, maybe they still have the CE for Switch and then just cancel with Amazon.

E: Of course it's sold out at both stores...

am I the only one that is findint it a little bit too obscoure/overwhelming in terms of info and gameplay structure?
I like it, a lot; the production values are there; the story doesn't seem amazing but not bad; the artstyle gorgeous
But I find it a little bit too hard in terms of expanation of game mechanics, that are a bizzarre mix of real-time strategy, resource and unit management and so on

I'm not talking about difficulty (also due to 4 different levels for this to choose among) but in terms of actual gameplay mechanics and logic - it's not that I'm not understanding it, but compared to the usual games I use to play it seems it requires a little bit of deeper understanding/mor focused attention

Well, yeah you're right. The game is extremely systems-heavy.

But i argue that it's "easing" you in really good. Technically, you can do much of the first area without ever touching squad unlocks and tactics. It's only when you're about to move on to the second area that you'll be offered a "tutorial" ... or rather being told "why not go check out this stuff?!".

I'd go so far and say that outside of squads, which you really have to work with, you can still do well enough with the base settings of the skills, at least in the two lowest difficulties.
The micromanagement isn't "necessary" there, but it sure makes a difference.

Though, i somewhat love that i could spend an hour not doing anything but tweaking the squads, equipment and tactics. ^^

The way the condition logic works needs an explainer. That would have taken up dozens of pages in the in-game library, though, and still not have been comprehensive, so they didn't even try.

The number of units the game throws at you, and the pace with which it does, doesn't leave you much time to get familiar with each type. Any individual synergy or rock-paper-scissor element isn't complicated in itself, but they pile on in sheer number quickly.

TMe getting new units and thinking I made a very good team, the game throwing a combination of units that I never thought of:

nTOJO1N.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom