• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Unicorn Overlord |ST| Tactical Fantasy Rebirth

After seeing those pics I had to change my order from the regular version to the Collector's Edition. I usually don't go for all that extra stuff but I'm a sucker for card games so THANK YOU I GUESS

Is the CE even available anymore? I think Switch and PS are gone, at least over at Amazon.de

Man i am this close to do a last minute digital preorder so that i can preload it to be ready tomorrow. But i can't possibly pay the CE price and a fully price digital copy ......

I'm out of demo time and so fixed on this game right now ...

Reviews are in!

Just noticed @Josh5890 made a review thread as well, so get in there if you want to discuss them in more detail!

Last edited:
kronk-its-all-coming-together.gif

Vanillaware seems to have another hit on their hands! Too bad I'm in the middle of Rebirth and a few other things. I'll try to pick this up a little later in the year.

Heh, according to George Kamitani (Vanillaware head honcho), they ran out of budget money while developing this game, and had to foot the bills on their own partially.

I think the same also happened with 13 Sentinels?

Anyway, Atlus / SEGA please, give the folks at Vanillaware more budget. They're good for it!

Really enjoyed the demo but won't be picking it up right away due to crazy backlog and lack of time.

Amazing OT :)

I just got the charge from Amazon for my CE... It's happening

Heh, according to George Kamitani (Vanillaware head honcho), they ran out of budget money while developing this game, and had to foot the bills on their own partially.

Anyway, Atlus / SEGA please, give the folks at Vanillaware more budget. They're good for it!
I mean, sounds more like they're not good with money to me if it happened twice now :LOL:

The same thing also happened during GrimGrimoire’s development because Atlus delayed the release of Odin Sphere.

Played for about six hours so far. Haven't tried the demo previously, so it was a completely fresh experience. And I really like what I'm seeing! The art is beautifully drawn, the animations are great, the OST slaps (all of which I already knew, but still), and the battle system works just as well as I expected it to. The additional layer of exploration is my personal highlight so far. Still awaiting the day Vanillaware character designers stop being horny on main, though.

Probably won't be able to play much over the next few days. Busy weekends be cursed.

Finished the first two chapters. Do we have a confirmation or the total number? I’m planning to tackle one a day.

The same thing happened during the development of Odin Sphere where Kamitani had to take out a loan in order to finish; Fortunately the game was successful and he managed to pay it back.

Launch day of the game, and Amazon still hasn't even shipped my CE. Thanks for nothing.

On top, i wake up to the news of Toriyama's passing ...

Like ... could this day have an even worse start?

Well, wish those who have it already much fun. I'm going to watch a few funny YT videos to cheer me up.

Is the demo just the first few hours of the game? If saves carry over I may check that out tomorrow.

Should be said that the demo has a general timer, so you're not only blocked at a certain point.
But i think it's a pretty generous one. Enough to play quite a bit of the story and side stuff.

Sorry for the double post, but i got curious and checked Media Markt and Saturn for the game, and both the CE (apparently still available) and regular edition for Switch are listed for next week, both delivery and in-store pick-up. The PS5 version is available now.

Did someone fuck up the shipments to retailers in Europe or what?

Just got my CE, which also made me realize that the only device I have that would allow me to play the music CDs... is the PS3 I have in the basement lmao

Just got my CE, which also made me realize that the only device I have that would allow me to play the music CDs... is the PS3 I have in the basement lmao
I still have my stereo hooked up, but I only now realise that I'd have to dust off my old ass shitty Windows laptop to rip them to MP3. :orang:

just peeped the main guy in this. I'm thinking this game has the potential to have the best srpg story since Shadow Dragon, we're in.

I’m loving this so far, even just having barely gotten past the tutorial. The art is so good. The detail in the provisioner shop in the first town is incredible, and the lighting effects!

I can already tell putting together units, equipment, gambits, etc. is going to eat so much time and I am here for it.

Wasn’t planning on getting this until it hits a discount, but damn is it tough. Looks really damn cool, but I’m gonna hold out as long as I can.

The copy I preordered at my usual Gamestop has been delayed, first time for everything I suppose.

The plot is definitely basic so far but the combat, team building, and planning is so good that it isn’t bothering me. We’ll see if it eventually picks up some more or not.

Difficulty-wise I’m playing on Tactical (Hard? I guess?) and it’s been pretty easy so far but I assume that’s because I’m still mostly in the starting area. Pretty much every new encounter has added some kind of new mechanic or class or wrinkle, so I can see the complexity ramping up in no time.

Making progress on my playthro--ooh shiny!

Sorry Scarlett, Alain's been distracted from his quest by on-map pickups. Also I want the angel in my army yesterday.

EDIT: Oh man the details in this game are insane. When you upgrade a formation, the tile they stand on gets fancier.

Last edited:
The plot is definitely basic so far but the combat, team building, and planning is so good that it isn’t bothering me. We’ll see if it eventually picks up some more or not.

Difficulty-wise I’m playing on Tactical (Hard? I guess?) and it’s been pretty easy so far but I assume that’s because I’m still mostly in the starting area. Pretty much every new encounter has added some kind of new mechanic or class or wrinkle, so I can see the complexity ramping up in no time.
Tactical is arguably Normal, with Normal being Easy and Story being Easier

Last edited:
Made enough progress to reach the second area, though I'm still yet to mop up some battles in the north/north-east of the first. All my units are now upgraded to have room for four fighters in them, which means formations and tactics are about to get really interesting. It's still so refreshing to just run around on the world map, collect some resources, and rebuild some towns in the downtime between battles. This is going to be such a long journey, but I'm here for it!

They really don't let you upgrade from standard physical to get the monarch content digitally? eShop and PSN don't list the upgrade. Sad.

I'm torn on this. I played the demo on Normal, and it felt like an appropriate label to me. But is Normal in the final game was Casual was in the demo? If so I'll bump it up to Tactical.

I'm torn on this. I played the demo on Normal, and it felt like an appropriate label to me. But is Normal in the final game was Casual was in the demo? If so I'll bump it up to Tactical.
Yeah Casual became Normal after the day 1 patch

That seems... counter-intuitive, lol. My go-to for difficulty in most games is to go one difficulty below whatever the hardest mode is, since usually the hardest mode is the tough-as-nails 'this is for masochists' mode (like Maddening in Fire Emblem) but I still like to have some challenge. I think I'm good with Tactical, though, even if it's been on the easy side so far since I'm assuming it will get harder and more complex.

The game is pretty easy on expert too so far, it doesn't really have a Maddening equivalent I think (unless you unlock something after beating it). I think in general you just have so many options to mess around with it's hard to make the game too challenging without forcing people into trial and erroring into specific setups, so I'm fine with it.

I’m about 15 hours in now and I just finished the first big 'plot beat' - and got the achievement 'it's a start', lol. The world is now a lot more open and there's so much to do! And I'm running out of room for units - that last battle gave me like four more, and then I walked into the new zone and immediately got a fifth. Help, the choice paralysis is real!

I’m about 15 hours in now and I just finished the first big 'plot beat' - and got the achievement 'it's a start', lol. The world is now a lot more open and there's so much to do! And I'm running out of room for units - that last battle gave me like four more, and then I walked into the new zone and immediately got a fifth. Help, the choice paralysis is real!
I'm at the same point you are. My solution was to make a new squad and stick all the new characters into it. The real issue that I'm playing with gambits and accidentally made it so my characters stopped attacking orz

I'm at the same point you are. My solution was to make a new squad and stick all the new characters into it. The real issue that I'm playing with gambits and accidentally made it so my characters stopped attacking orz
I noticed there’s an “optimize” option when you’re in the gambit section that seems to reset them to the default ones the game gives you. Handy in case you accidentally turn them into a mess.

And yeah I think it’s new squad time! Problem is I’m going to run out of new squads at some point and then what do I do??? Stop leveling everyone up? Blasphemy!

Unicorn Overlord has debuted on the 5th place on the NA eShop.

It is 53rd on PSN, and is not in the top 1000 on Xbox (though something called Eternity: The Last Unicorn is 831)

Unicorn Overlord has debuted on the 5th place on the NA eShop.

It is 53rd on PSN, and is not in the top 1000 on Xbox (though something called Eternity: The Last Unicorn is 831)
The game's pretty well optimized for Switch and it's also the type of game that does well on portables. Not super surprising

The game's pretty well optimized for Switch and it's also the type of game that does well on portables. Not super surprising
It was also in like… what, three different Nintendo Directs? It was heavily marketed as a Switch game first and foremost.

Back
Top Bottom