• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Unicorn Overlord |ST| Tactical Fantasy Rebirth

I am gonna take a couple of days break from the game, its too addicting 😅 . I have around 60% of the map and 38 hours in, but I want to enjoy it more and I have stuff to do lol.

I started in Normal, but like FE, I am planning runs on the higher difficulties. So I expect this game to be number 1 on my switch playing time🤷‍♂️

I do like how the game keeps mixing up battle scenarios - I just had a battle where some of my team members went off on their own and left me scrambling with two units half-empty.

I’m now at what I assume is the last battle in Drakenhold, and while the game is still amazing I am definitely ready to move on to Elheim and some different scenery and unit types. And maybe some main plot, too!

My CE was actually delivered on friday, i'm so happy. ;_;

Finally hit Renown B over the weekend and thus unlocked class promotion. Man, what glow-ups not only in stats and skills, but also unit art.

Now the big Honors farming begins, prior to reaching Renown B i unlocked all squads and upgraded their slots to 4.
This means i now need 200 Honors per squad for the final upgrade to 5 slots, plus varrying amounts of Honors for promotions.

Y'all got some spare Honors for the poor (me)?

My CE was actually delivered on friday, i'm so happy. ;_;

Finally hit Renown B over the weekend and thus unlocked class promotion. Man, what glow-ups not only in stats and skills, but also unit art.

Now the big Honors farming begins, prior to reaching Renown B i unlocked all squads and upgraded their slots to 4.
This means i now need 200 Honors per squad for the final upgrade to 5 slots, plus varrying amounts of Honors for promotions.

Y'all got some spare Honors for the poor (me)?
That’s pretty much where I am too. I promoted Alain just to get him to being cavalry for the faster movement, but otherwise I’m banking those honours.

I do feel like there’s a bit of a mismatch in the time limit and large maps, which makes units that are fast (Cavalry leaders) or ignore terrain (fliers) seem like easily the most useful ones, regardless of who else in the the squad. Most of my infantry units are falling behind as there’s almost always some reason to react fast and to deploy cavalry/fliers in the big battles. Trying to focus more on the units that don’t have those leader abilities in the smaller ones, but also I’m tending towards cavalry/flight being way more useful leader abilities than the stuff like ‘recovers faster when Resting’ or the hyper-specific ‘takes a bit less damage from magical support attacks.’ Some of those are useful in every battle. Some not.

I just promoted all my favorite units pretty much immediately, the +1 to AP/PP is pretty significant for a lot of units and you don't get 5 man units till A rank renown anyways. Granted I've only really used 4-5 deployed units per map.

Last edited:
That’s pretty much where I am too. I promoted Alain just to get him to being cavalry for the faster movement, but otherwise I’m banking those honours.

I do feel like there’s a bit of a mismatch in the time limit and large maps, which makes units that are fast (Cavalry leaders) or ignore terrain (fliers) seem like easily the most useful ones, regardless of who else in the the squad. Most of my infantry units are falling behind as there’s almost always some reason to react fast and to deploy cavalry/fliers in the big battles. Trying to focus more on the units that don’t have those leader abilities in the smaller ones, but also I’m tending towards cavalry/flight being way more useful leader abilities than the stuff like ‘recovers faster when Resting’ or the hyper-specific ‘takes a bit less damage from magical support attacks.’ Some of those are useful in every battle. Some not.

Last quest i did was an area liberation which was setup in a way where i really loved those "reduced support damage" leader skills.

Very little map size, and you have 2 magic users and two ranged users charging at your position from the start, you're basically attacked the moment you're done with your initial 2-3 unit loadout.

And those enemies start with their timers for those support skill attacks ready.

... I actually failed first, using my normal loadouts, but just changed some leaders, nothing else, and worked it out this time.

E:

It really feels like those sidequests, at least those liberation ones, are designed as "puzzles". Find out the shenanigan of the enemy setup and act accordingly.

Last edited:
I've played a bunch more, pretty close to the finish line (I think), it's super addicting and fun.

Weirdly I think my biggest "complaint" is that the game almost just gives you too many option and it kind of diminishes the strategy part of the game. At some point I realized (probably later than most) you don't actually have to really equip your individual units before a mission at all and it completely changes how you approach equipment in general because you don't have make decisions on who gets to wear what.

I think I'll give the unlockable difficulty with permadeath a shot after I beat it on expert, I feel the fear of losing a full unit of characters could make a big difference in how you approach missions in this game.

Yeah, I feel similarly regarding being able to brute force through the strategy aspect of the game just by virtue of having a gazillion strong options. The thing is, I'm usually not great at tactics games like these, so it's not the worst thing in the world if it errs on the easier side for me.

And honestly I don't even know how they could've balanced a game with this goddamn many characters/units (each with their own equipment and tactics) to where it would've required frequent optimization. It could've easily become overwhelming in that regard, I think.

Last quest i did was an area liberation which was setup in a way where i really loved those "reduced support damage" leader skills.

Very little map size, and you have 2 magic users and two ranged users charging at your position from the start, you're basically attacked the moment you're done with your initial 2-3 unit loadout.

And those enemies start with their timers for those support skill attacks ready.

... I actually failed first, using my normal loadouts, but just changed some leaders, nothing else, and worked it out this time.

E:

It really feels like those sidequests, at least those liberation ones, are designed as "puzzles". Find out the shenanigan of the enemy setup and act accordingly.
Yeah that’s fair, I like the puzzle element of the short ones and also the variety of battle lengths- some take barely a minute, some up to half an hour

Yeah that’s fair, I like the puzzle element of the short ones and also the variety of battle lengths- some take barely a minute, some up to half an hour
I did a short one last night that seemed very easy, but it had a thief hidden in the forest right next to your base camp so if you just send out units to quickly beat the map he'll take your base camp and you'll lose. I saw him out of the corner of my eye just in time and it made me shake my head - game is cheeky sometimes!

Other than maybe using the 'reduced damage from magic/ranged support' if you're trying to assault a heavily range-supported location, I've only really ever found use for Flyers, Cavalry, and Magic/Arrow attackers as leaders. Cavalry zoom down roads so fast that they feel incredible to use, flyers get around ground obstacles and can ignore terrain (although can be surprisingly slow especially if you cross mountains), and then it's always good to have one ranged magic and arrow unit around, too.

I have had a few maps where it was actually valuable to have everyone on cavalry and rush to take the towers, then switch leaders to gain free range support even though it costs a valor point.

I did a short one last night that seemed very easy, but it had a thief hidden in the forest right next to your base camp so if you just send out units to quickly beat the map he'll take your base camp and you'll lose. I saw him out of the corner of my eye just in time and it made me shake my head - game is cheeky sometimes!
It’s such an interesting game with a lot of variety that keeps it fresh.

One thing I wasn’t so keen on, when heading into a new territory, was seeing the same ‘Sharon wants to visit the cemeteries’ and ‘visit the big statues’ etc stuff pop up again. I guess quite a few of the characters have something to do on the map, some simpler than others, but those two in particular just seem a bit repetitive. Possibly as they stand out a bit more with the ‘find and visit x number of locations’ element.

It’s such an interesting game with a lot of variety that keeps it fresh.

One thing I wasn’t so keen on, when heading into a new territory, was seeing the same ‘Sharon wants to visit the cemeteries’ and ‘visit the big statues’ etc stuff pop up again. I guess quite a few of the characters have something to do on the map, some simpler than others, but those two in particular just seem a bit repetitive. Possibly as they stand out a bit more with the ‘find and visit x number of locations’ element.
Visiting the cemeteries does seem a bit filler-y. I like the hidden treasure maps (I actually like the mining mini-game a decent bit!) and the statues one is fine although it really just feels like it's a reward for finishing exploring the whole country. Having to go to them in a specific order doesn't really serve much purpose.

I actually find funny "the evil empire is behind us and we are in enemy territory BUT I need to help that man to get his lost chickens!"

Visiting the cemeteries does seem a bit filler-y. I like the hidden treasure maps (I actually like the mining mini-game a decent bit!) and the statues one is fine although it really just feels like it's a reward for finishing exploring the whole country. Having to go to them in a specific order doesn't really serve much purpose.
I like the mining minigame too! It’s a nice change of pace, just something to do when I need some rock for a delivery, but sometimes coughs up a treasure map. And who doesn’t like a treasure hunt :)

Finished Elheim now after ~33 hours, and I'm debating whether I should take a short break from the game so I won't burn out on it, especially since it seems like I'm only about halfway through.

But on the other hand, I can't wait to see what else this adventure has in store, so I'll likely just keep going.

Putting 3 cavs in a row with some kind of tank in front of them is really funny and kills 90% of enemy units I've ran into so far.

Finally finished Drakenhold - took a bit longer than expected, but now I’m rank A and I have massive choice paralysis on where to spend my points. I want to grab my last unit, but also promote everyone, but also start getting five member teams… arrghh

Finally finished Drakenhold - took a bit longer than expected, but now I’m rank A and I have massive choice paralysis on where to spend my points. I want to grab my last unit, but also promote everyone, but also start getting five member teams… arrghh
That's about where I'm at, but I had two competing realizations this last play session. One is that playtime is over and the enemies have mostly promoted units now, so if you have a character that can only act once, they're dead weight. The other is that one five-person squad of promoted units is way stronger than a four-person unit of promoted units. So I have my cavalry focused five-person as a beatstick and switch between promoting the rest of my army and getting the last three squads made into proper four-person squads.

Last edited:
Getting really close to having promoted everyone. Got two units fully expanded to hold five characters at this point, and I can’t wait to see how big of a grind it ends up being to expand the rest of them as well. Though doing all the side missions and rebuilding all towns already gives you a ton of Honors without even trying too hard, so it might not be too bad.

Tip(?) for fast Honors farming:

Use the lower-level skirmish maps. Your units won't get (much) EXP, but as long as you can steamroll the enemies and do a fast full clear of the map, your get your Honors faster and more reliable than doing stuff around your unit levels.

For example, doing the very first one (unit level 6 iirc), it takes me like less than 5 mins to clear the map with more than 60% timer left, all enemies defeated, for 15 Honors. That's basically two clears to promote anyone not having a special class (Alain, Virginia) or on any kind of mount.

Also has the advantage that you rake in lots of building resources, because your wardens collect them after each clear.
Very good for those annoying "Bring me 30 of resource X" overworld-quests.

I just completed Bastorias. S rank and 7/10 squads to 5 members (default difficulty though). What I noticed is that promotions unlock some crazy abilities that make huge difference in battles. I'm not good at getting the most out of the squads and I change most of them a lot. What helped me and I would advice is to promote most of your members (at least after you have most of your squads at 4 members) and then try to hit a lot of honor for 5 member squads.
What I like to do in order to 'farm' honor is to go to the latest big capital I liberated and hit tavern for 10-15 dishes throughout my members. This unlocks around 10-20 dialogues that are scattered across the world map. I then make a tour in every region to resupply materials, get the dialogues and add in each town I haven't, a star (just to add something I did for the first time yesterday. If you get stars in all towns of the continent/country you get a small dialogue between the main characters of the country that i really liked). You can see from your world map (- button) which towns/villages do not have a star yet. Another thing I noticed is that every time you see an icon of a material behind some kind of mountain or another physical object, it can be usually accessed through a hidden path. In these occasions I take a walk around the object to see if Alan slips into a path that is not visible from your top down camera.
The game is veeeery addictive. I don't consider myself a fan of tactics game but this one has a lot of aspects that hook me in. That's mostly the reason I like revising the map all over again for slightly different reasons every time.

Last edited:
Personally I like to build my units as if each of them were a full RPG party. Variety is key for me, someone tanking hits, a mixture of physical and magical damage, someone supporting from the rear, good mix of valor skills, one flier, etc. I'm sure these units are rarely ideal but they are also very self-sufficient, you can throw them into any situation and perform well or at the very least not get decimated by inconvenient units that happen to counter them.

I've just finished Elheim and the game is telling me to get married in order to save the world. I mean, I was already expecting something like this since seeing the logo of the game for the first time but lol. No pressure.

My biggest criticism of the game is that the autoequip feature SUCKS. The more you advance in the game the more people you have to outfit and it's a pain to do it manually every time, but you have to do it because autoequip will do real nonsensical things like equip your magic damage dealer with equipment meant for physical attackers, equip skills in such a way that they will never be used, etc. It also overwrites your conditions for skills too. It just sucks.

One thing I noticed is that the level curve is a bit weird. I went into Elheim slightly overleveled for the first couple of battles, but in Bastorias the next battle on my way is level 27, and most of my characters are in their low 20s, with some others around level 25.

Time to grind some skrimishes to get my units up to snuff, I guess. Or I just risk it.

One thing I noticed is that the level curve is a bit weird. I went into Elheim slightly overleveled for the first couple of battles, but in Bastorias the next battle on my way is level 27, and most of my characters are in their low 20s, with some others around level 25.

Time to grind some skrimishes to get my units up to snuff, I guess. Or I just risk it.

The game gives you the "illusion" of choice, but the recommended levels pretty much tell you what you should do first. ^^

Sure, you can hard-mode it if you want the challenge, or jump between the areas you have access too.
But normally, the level progression guides you through the whole area. (At least it's been like this for Cornia 1st part and Drakenhold)

The game gives you the "illusion" of choice, but the recommended levels pretty much tell you what you should do first. ^^

Sure, you can hard-mode it if you want the challenge, or jump between the areas you have access too.
But normally, the level progression guides you through the whole area. (At least it's been like this for Cornia 1st part and Drakenhold)
It's not like I have anywhere else to go at the moment. This probably won't be an issue if you only focus on 4-5 active units at a time, but I'm using the whole 10, which spreads EXP, and ultimately leaves you a bit underleveled at this point in the game.

It's not like I have anywhere else to go at the moment. This probably won't be an issue if you only focus on 4-5 active units at a time, but I'm using the whole 10, which spreads EXP, and ultimately leaves you a bit underleveled at this point in the game.

I think you can overcome some level difference with things like squad size and promotions, but yeah at one point your units eat too much damage and dish out to little.

I think you can overcome some level difference with things like squad size and promotions, but yeah at one point your units eat too much damage and dish out to little.
Promotions do indeed help a ton. Units with an average level of 21, with all characters being promoted, had surprisingly little issues in a level 25 battle as long as the matchup wasn't unfavourable, but it will only get you this far. Especially since a couple of extra levels could mean unlocking new, more powerful skills.

They will also gain levels rather quickly mid battle, which is neat.

So, funny story about this. It turns out there's a whole bad ending locked behind doing the Unicorn Overlord mission before rescuing Scarlett.

The level 40 "end of the game" mission. Before you hit level 10.

I've heard of earning your bad ending but jesus christ--

So, funny story about this. It turns out there's a whole bad ending locked behind doing the Unicorn Overlord mission before rescuing Scarlett.

The level 40 "end of the game" mission. Before you hit level 10.

I've heard of earning your bad ending but jesus christ--

Thank god for Youtube.

I really like the touch that even the same units have different looks depending them where you are hiring them, like how all the healers in the fort near the area where you recruit Tatiana wear plague doctor masks, so I can a have a creepy unit of healers

I really like the touch that even the same units have different looks depending them where you are hiring them, like how all the healers in the fort near the area where you recruit Tatiana wear plague doctor masks, so I can a have a creepy unit of healers
That’s a wonderful piece of attention to detail.

Another one is a mission in the forests where an NPC elf is trying to assist you but not be seen by her ruler. If the latter is in a unit that approaches her, she’ll disappear and ask you to move the unit away, after which she reappears.

Last edited:
Found a little effectivity addition to my "Use low level skirmish maps for Honors farming"-strategy.

Remember when i said that after each skirmish battle, your units governing the liberated towns and cities collect the resources from the respawned gather spots, yeah?
Well, you also get Honors for doing deliveries! Even in towns/cities that are already upgraded.

So after doing a few skirmish battles, you should roam through those places and turn in as many deliveries as possible. Ideally, do that in an area where you already upgraded the towns/cities and aren't going to need the resources for stuff like that anymore.

I managed to promote two mounted units (35 Honors each) simply with Honors i gathered from those deliveries.

Game is really all about "play smarter", even in this regard.

Nice side-effect is also, you get money, not too much, but it adds up.

Found a little effectivity addition to my "Use low level skirmish maps for Honors farming"-strategy.

Remember when i said that after each skirmish battle, your units governing the liberated towns and cities collect the resources from the respawned gather spots, yeah?
Well, you also get Honors for doing deliveries! Even in towns/cities that are already upgraded.

So after doing a few skirmish battles, you should roam through those places and turn in as many deliveries as possible. Ideally, do that in an area where you already upgraded the towns/cities and aren't going to need the resources for stuff like that anymore.

I managed to promote two mounted units (35 Honors each) simply with Honors i gathered from those deliveries.

Yeah, I noticed that too. what I’ve started doing is both taking guards away from towns I’ve completed to add them to new towns if needed (as they’ll be gaining resources in the area I currently need them to be from). But also, once you’ve left an area, you might as well keep making as many deliveries as you can with excess materials. I turned in about 12 in a row in one place, gaining +60 honour in under a minute.

It’s worth keeping up with the arena too, there’s some sweet loot there for each offline clear. I’m level 24 with Alain but just beat a level 29 team.

Totally agree. he most consistent source of honor income seems to be the Y button on every town you meet.

I haven't been able to play too much because of my job, but I didn't know the mirror item can be used with any character, not just generic ones, so I gave Tatiana pink hair and now I have gloomy kinda magical girl.

Also found nice that the mission to help the prince is the game telling you "yeah, level up any character you've missed, here is some freebie exp" by using the catapults and killing a bunch of enemies at once

I had around an hour and a half or so available to play last night and I spent the entire time equipping new characters, reconfiguring teams, finishing off exploration sidequests, and promoting units. I didn't end up having any time to do actual combat.

... and that's fine! I know the game has its hooks in me when I can basically do an hour and a half of menu tax and map exploration and still have a great time.

I finally unlocked promotions and I’m worried about the honors involved. Is it generally better to promote your four-member units, or should I first try to expand into five/six member units instead?

I also wonder what’s the maximum number of units available. I’m trying to use only named characters instead of mercs, and I figure at some point I won’t have enough space for everyone.

I finally unlocked promotions and I’m worried about the honors involved. Is it generally better to promote your four-member units, or should I first try to expand into five/six member units instead?
I would focus on promoting Alain first (to get his movement up), then expand to a 5th space in his unit to help with the arena and boss fights. I then promoted a handful of key members (one in each of my main combat units) just to spread the strength around, and only then knuckled down to save for those 5th spaces.

I’d try both- if a unit is struggling, promote a member or two. If not, save to expand the spaces.

5 squad slots (iirc the max) are locked until Renown rank A.

Promotion give the units not only better stats, but also more active and passive points in combat, and some also gain improved skills.

Imo, do both in a balanced way. 50 Honors isn't too much for the upgrade to 4 squad slots, and only units with unique classes (like Alain or Virginia) have 50 Honors promotions, the rest is between 25 and 35.

I also wonder what’s the maximum number of units available. I’m trying to use only named characters instead of mercs, and I figure at some point I won’t have enough space for everyone.
Promote a lot and promote early, the power you gain from promoting is far too large to ignore and the Elf zone has mostly promoted units (only? I think it's exclusively promotes at that point) you fight against and you won't have A rank renown there unless you grinded your ass off (in which case it doesn't matter). A 5 man unit of unpromoted units is way, way weaker than a 4 man unit with 4 promoted ones.

Practically there is no reason to save honors unless you're close to A rank renown in which case it might be smart to save so you can immediately invest into a 5 slot unit for a quick power spike.

Promote a lot and promote early, the power you gain from promoting is far too large to ignore and the Elf zone has mostly promoted units (only? I think it's exclusively promotes at that point) you fight against and you won't have A rank renown there unless you grinded your ass off (in which case it doesn't matter). A 5 man unit of unpromoted units is way, way weaker than a 4 man unit with 4 promoted ones.

Practically there is no reason to save honors unless you're close to A rank renown in which case it might be smart to save.
You can get A rank fairly easily before (most) of Elheim, I got A rank around level 17. I'm doing all missions in level order, which means I had done a few in Elheim but not many yet when I had A rank and still hadn't completed Drakenhold yet. And I didn't repeat any battles or grind anything. I just did every single available mission at or below my level and did all sidequests that were open to me.

You can get A rank fairly easily before (most) of Elheim, I got A rank around level 17. I'm doing all missions in level order, which means I had done a few in Elheim but not many yet when I had A rank and still hadn't completed Drakenhold yet. And I didn't repeat any battles or grind anything. I just did every single available mission at or below my level and did all sidequests that were open to me.
I don't think I had A until I was halfway done with Elfheim and I was pretty dilligent with finishing side quests, I never did deliveries more than once for towns though so that could be it. Either way I still think there's very few situations where 200 honors for a 5 man unit is more valuable than upgrading 5+ chars to their promoted class, especially if you're not in the fourth zone yet.

I don't think I had A until I was halfway done with Elfheim and I was pretty dilligent with finishing side quests, I never did deliveries more than once for towns though so that could be it. Either way I still think there's very few situations where 200 honors for a 5 man unit is more valuable than upgrading 5+ chars to their promoted class, especially if you're not in the fourth zone yet.
Oh, I forgot to mention: I did every single delivery to get all towns ranked up to their Star ranking, which allows you to station a guard. That gives you a ton of Renown. I did maybe a small handful of repeat deliveries but not much beyond that.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I did every single delivery to get all towns ranked up to their Star ranking, which allows you to station a guard. That gives you a ton of Renown. I did maybe a small handful of repeat deliveries but not much beyond that.
That'll do it, I think I'll save that for near the end when I've gained a lot of materials passively. Does a town's stock change at higher ranks?

That'll do it, I think I'll save that for near the end when I've gained a lot of materials passively. Does a town's stock change at higher ranks?
No, I don't think so. But stationing a guard gives you more resources after battles, which in turn let you do more deliveries, and so on, so it's sort of the gift that keeps on giving

So is there a reason to wait to promote classes or is it just better once you can? (FE gba flasbacks of having bad promoted classes with low stats)

Halfway through Bastorias you get to a side quest where you can choose between siding with one of the parties, or oppose both of them in order to get them to the bargaining table. The latter option is obviously the hardest to pull off, as you are entirely encircled by opposing forces. Your reward for this is that you end up recruiting both armies' commanders, and I assume that if you side with one of them you inevitably lock yourself out of the other.

I managed to brute-force the shit out of that battle by pretty much ignoring any enemy unit I could and going straight for the commanders, and it felt good. I lost a ton of units in the process, but managed to finish the stage extremely quickly. Risk and reward was so satisfying here.

Halfway through Bastorias you get to a side quest where you can choose between siding with one of the parties, or oppose both of them in order to get them to the bargaining table. The latter option is obviously the hardest to pull off, as you are entirely encircled by opposing forces. Your reward for this is that you end up recruiting both armies' commanders, and I assume that if you side with one of them you inevitably lock yourself out of the other.

I managed to brute-force the shit out of that battle by pretty much ignoring any enemy unit I could and going straight for the commanders, and it felt good. I lost a ton of units in the process, but managed to finish the stage extremely quickly. Risk and reward was so satisfying here.
I’ve just reached this battle before stopping play in my last session, and equally have chosen to take them all on :D

I’ve also maxed out Renown (but aren’t strong enough to quite claim the reward for it yet). I like that the choice between spending honours on promoting units or expanding formations is still making me consider each decision, especially when there’s so many cool characters now.

While the gameplay loop has pretty much become very clear at this point, I’m 30 hours in and still really enjoying it. New characters and items with new abilities, plus old characters gaining new ones as they promote and level up, means there’s always something to tinker with. I spent nearly an hour just rearranging equipment and accessories on the army last night as I’d just pretty randomly handed stuff out as I acquired it, but the force is so much stronger for me having sat everyone down and reequipping them from scratch. Especially now that promoted characters have an extra accessory slot.

Last edited:
Just did a side quest that made me hate Virginia sooooo much.

It’s good character drama, but she straight up fucked the party composition of FOUR units. I hate that girl.

Back
Top Bottom