• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Unicorn Overlord |ST| Tactical Fantasy Rebirth

Oho, update! Amazon now lists my order with "Order received. You'll be contacted by e-mail once we have an estimated delivery date.".

What a fucking shitshow.

Gonna check Media Markt and Saturn, maybe they still have the CE for Switch and then just cancel with Amazon.

E: Of course it's sold out at both stores...

Well, yeah you're right. The game is extremely systems-heavy.

But i argue that it's "easing" you in really good. Technically, you can do much of the first area without ever touching squad unlocks and tactics. It's only when you're about to move on to the second area that you'll be offered a "tutorial" ... or rather being told "why not go check out this stuff?!".

I'd go so far and say that outside of squads, which you really have to work with, you can still do well enough with the base settings of the skills, at least in the two lowest difficulties.
The micromanagement isn't "necessary" there, but it sure makes a difference.

Though, i somewhat love that i could spend an hour not doing anything but tweaking the squads, equipment and tactics. ^^

element isn't complicated in itself, but they pile on in sheer number quickly.

I agree!
basically, I just wanted you to let me know that I'm not stupid hahah
whatever...great game, don't misunderstand me!

Now this is funny, according to my Amazon(DE) order page for the CE, it's "expected to be delivered today up to 10 p.m.".

The only thing is ... it still wasn't dispatched by Amazon. I wonder how the page thinks i'm getting the game today.

Guess i have to contact their support tomorrow ... i'll give them today to finally ship it before i complain.

---
Did the sidequest that ends with recruiting Melisandre, and i noticed while scouting "her" area that you can interact with a gate there.

Alain notes that there's many enemy soldiers at a camp behind that gate, and that maybe the gate should be locked. You're getting a prompt to either lock it or leave it alone.

When you start the mission and end up halfway through the map, Melisandre will start her "emergency plan" ... which are said reinforcement soldiers behind that overworld gate. If you locked it, the reinforcements aren't able to join the battle, leaving her without any backup.

She and her retainer were like "well ... shit".

Thought that was super funny. Guess i will scout the areas before doing a battle now, maybe there's more sidequests where you can do that.
I did this too! Kind of by accident, lol. Only time I’ve encountered something like that so far - makes me wonder how much else there might be in other missions like it

Thoroughly enjoying the game so far! (I also consider it an unofficial Fire Emblem game in my head.) I know the Monarch Edition has DLC vouchers, right? For DLC, instead of too many new characters, I really hope we have the ability to fill out each Unit with 6 characters. I'd take leveling up the entire party size to 8-10 members if it was possible! I know some of my teams can take on entire maps by themselves, but I like this for head-canon reasons.

I did this too! Kind of by accident, lol. Only time I’ve encountered something like that so far - makes me wonder how much else there might be in other missions like it
That's the only one like that I've found so far. I chose not to close the door though, needed to feed my mages some experience.

What gets me though is that there's an entire branch of side story in Drakenhold tied to Aubin, the housecarl you can recruit right as you land on Cornia. If you choose not to recruit Aubin, do you not get this story? It basically acts as the main Drakenhold story between entering Drakenhold and reaching Gilbert.

I have the Monarch Edition and the DLC voucher is only for the cosmetic coat of arms. They haven't announced anything related to extra content yet I think.
I got the regular edition and it comes with the same cosmetic voucher. As far as I can tell there's no actual DLC planned, either.

Only time I’ve encountered something like that so far - makes me wonder how much else there might be in other missions like i
I missed that but I encountered something similar during the Champion of order side quest.
There is a ruin near by with hidden catapults. You have the option to disable them. During the mission, when your units go near the commander, they will try to bring out the hidden catapults

I actually hadn't realized this game had come out. Placed an order, should get it this weekend.

I have the Monarch Edition and the DLC voucher is only for the cosmetic coat of arms. They haven't announced anything related to extra content yet I think.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks! I do hope they do a little DLC at least. If not, I guess I'll have to wait for the sequel! ...there will be a sequel, right? I mean, not an actual sequel to the story but a Unicorn Overlord 2, right? I haven't seen any sales reports (and I probably won't for a long time), but the game seems to be getting incredibly good word-of-mouth, something that started even before its official release. And selling out with stock demands is almost always a great thing!

That's the only one like that I've found so far. I chose not to close the door though, needed to feed my mages some experience.

What gets me though is that there's an entire branch of side story in Drakenhold tied to Aubin, the housecarl you can recruit right as you land on Cornia. If you choose not to recruit Aubin, do you not get this story? It basically acts as the main Drakenhold story between entering Drakenhold and reaching Gilbert.

I got the regular edition and it comes with the same cosmetic voucher. As far as I can tell there's no actual DLC planned, either.
Maybe I’m misremembering but I don’t think you actually get a choice to recruit Aubin - it just kind of happens. Could be wrong.

is it correct to say that 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim has been the first Vanillaware game on Switch?
after that I think we've got GrimGrimoire and now this - is it correct?

Game is sold out in japan and Atlus is apologizing for the lack of stock

It's great seeing the game get such a good reception. Really helps that it was revealed during a Nintendo Direct rather then being dropped on Atlus' channels and that the Switch proved to be an excellent home for RPGs and SRPGs.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks! I do hope they do a little DLC at least. If not, I guess I'll have to wait for the sequel! ...there will be a sequel, right? I mean, not an actual sequel to the story but a Unicorn Overlord 2, right? I haven't seen any sales reports (and I probably won't for a long time), but the game seems to be getting incredibly good word-of-mouth, something that started even before its official release. And selling out with stock demands is almost always a great thing!
I remember reading an interview with George Kamitani around the time of Dragon's Crown release where he stated he'd rather have Vanillaware work on new games then sequels; However that was years ago so things may change.
is it correct to say that 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim has been the first Vanillaware game on Switch?
after that I think we've got GrimGrimoire and now this - is it correct?
Yes, that's correct; hopefully the reception to this game will spur a renewed interest in previous Vanillaware games on the Switch (especially GrimGrimoire OnceMore which I felt slipped under the radar) and we get Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir, Muramasa Rebirth, and Dragon's Crown on the Switch.

So sold out, Amazon Germany couldn't even ship my CE despite me pre-ordering it on September 22nd 2023, almost 6 months ago.
Still on "backorder" ... still sold out at Media Markt / Saturn.

I'm fighting myself internally wether or not i should complain big time at the Amazon customer service.

If they're going to ramp up production again, i hope this also includes the CE and i will be able to get it in the end. But boy if i wouldn't have double dipped digitally, i would be shit outta luck for god knows how long, unable to play.

---

Am i wrong, or is going downward in Drakenhold the "actual way" you're supposed to go?

Going to the right area after clearing the first mission there feels hard mode.
The recommended level for liberating the big city is 15, and your units should be around 11-12 after finishing the first Drakenhold area.

Yes, that's correct; hopefully the reception to this game will spur a renewed interest in previous Vanillaware games on the Switch (especially GrimGrimoire OnceMore which I felt slipped under the radar) and we get Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir, Muramasa Rebirth, and Dragon's Crown on the Switch.

Thing is, at least for Muramasa, there's more hurdles than just Vanillaware having interest to port the game. It's in the hands of a different publisher, so even if Atlus / SEGA were on-board, there's nothing they can do.

Thing is, at least for Muramasa, there's more hurdles than just Vanillaware having interest to port the game. It's in the hands of a different publisher, so even if Atlus / SEGA were on-board, there's nothing they can do.
I know, that's in the hands of Marvelous; but if NIS can come around with GrimGrimoire then hopefully Marvelous can do the same with Muramasa.

I legitimately only found out GrimGrimoire got a Switch port last Saturday when I saw it on Amazon entirely by accident. Managed to grab a copy, which is nice. But that should tell you just about anything you need to know about how poorly they marketed that game.

I remember reading an interview with George Kamitani around the time of Dragon's Crown release where he stated he'd rather have Vanillaware work on new games then sequels; However that was years ago so things may change.
He prefers making standalone stories after GrimGrimoire, which he created with a sequel in mind, underperformed.

Yo game, go easy on giving me new units!
I only have so many squads and so much slots in them ... and too little time to grind Honors for unlocking the last two squads and upgrade them to 4 slots.

Found a really "nasty" team setup:
Travis in front row aka "try to hit me"
Any swordfighter (In my case Leah, 'cause she's the first i got due to doing Melisandre's quest afterwards)
Berengaria
Bruno

The last three are in the back row.

So what exactly makes that team so fun?

Well, Swordfighter has first strike, Berengaria follows-up with her self-recharging passive.
Swordfighter strikes again due to the high initiative, Berengaria follows-up again.
Travis follows with second highest initiative and poisons people, Berengaria follows-up again.
The Berengaria unleashes whatever nasty shit is needed (either AoE or single target).
And if anything still stands after this attack rain, Bruno jumps in and clears whatever's left.

So far, the team even did well even against physical wall teams, and/or debuff focused teams.

If you could name squads, i'd call it "Tricorn power!".

It feels broken to get a unit like Berengaria so early. Same with Rosalinde. Shows you that you shouldn't ignore unit promotion for the sake of squad unlocks and squad size.

I'd actually put Bruno up front, his passive lets him take hits and keep going if you set it to trigger at sub-75% percent.

Also iirc Berengaria's passive only recharges if the enemy is debuffed when she hits them. Which is why I gave Bruno a frost axe and added a sorceror to their team, so that every attack would be a status effect that lets Berengaria keep the pain train going.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't really like Bruno or have much of a use for him. Gladiators in general just haven't clicked for me.
I'm not falling for the "don't use the axe fighter they gave you at the beginning and you need to unlock an OP character at the endgame" again.

I don't think I've ever been this overwhelmed by the pace at which new characters are added to my army. I'm like 10 hours in and must have upwards of 40 damn heroes now. How am I supposed to outfit all of them with good gear and set them up optimally with tactics/units?! My brain hurts.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't really like Bruno or have much of a use for him. Gladiators in general just haven't clicked for me.
He's not super useful since his main things are "really hard to kill if backed up by healing" and "hits a row" which gives him a niche for like a couple fights until you get way better options for both. I mainly use him as a slot filler now

Bruno's main issue is he never lands a hit if you don't stack a bunch of accuracy on him and even then it's been shaky for me. You can give him eagle eye through an item later on though

Bruno's main issue is he never lands a hit if you don't stack a bunch of accuracy on him and even then it's been shaky for me. You can give him eagle eye through an item later on though
That's the problem I had with him. He was an okay tank but didn't do enough damage because he would constantly miss so much. And since healers don't do any damage either, his squad always felt like it just kind of didn't do much of anything

So when fighting Valmore trying to rescue Scarlet, is this fight supposed to be winnable? Because so far he had killed 2 of my teams, and the 3 left are not going to be able to win agains his bullshit moveset OTL.

So when fighting Valmore trying to rescue Scarlet, is this fight supposed to be winnable? Because so far he had killed 2 of my teams, and the 3 left are not going to be able to win agains his bullshit moveset OTL.
Yes, it's winnable. He's tough but you should have plenty of time to have your entire army rested and ready to go with that campfire beforehand - and you can adjust and re-sort/shuffle parties and frontline/backline as needed if you have to

Hmm, interesting. I actually haven't had any problems with Bruno's accuracy, he's hit his target in every battle I can remember watching. He doesn't hit the hardest, but giving him the frost axe let him set up for Berengaria. I think his aoe axe skill might have a 80% accuracy, which would explain why he's not hitting for you.

Yes, it's winnable. He's tough but you should have plenty of time to have your entire army rested and ready to go with that campfire beforehand - and you can adjust and re-sort/shuffle parties and frontline/backline as needed if you have to
Got completely destroyed twice. Gonna have to rethink each team composition

Well that was mean

Ren was the core of my best team so it was a bit of a shock having her taken away and having to rearrange everything to get some semblance of strength back. Though also just unlocked promotions so it was a good opportunity anyways

Just got to the point where the game gives me options to go in the map and goddamn that boss was a huge difficulty spike. Had to use all my Ashes

I gave up with the boss trying to rescue scarlet, just turned down the difficulty and move with it. Honestly been enjoying more the game now in normal mode.

I gave up with the boss trying to rescue scarlet, just turned down the difficulty and move with it. Honestly been enjoying more the game now in normal mode.
I only managed that boss once I worked out that their magic shield stopped the first two attacks. After that, sending in the cavalry who get an extra attack from assault lance if they kill the weaker summons, or the thief who does two quick hits, pulled the shield down fast and let big hits through. They wrecked my army before that though, definitely a skill check on the player to see if you’ve been paying attention and started looking closely at enemy units

That boss isn't that bad: (spoilers if you haven't done the rescue Scarlett mission yet)

I was gonna say, Josef seems designed with that encounter in mind.

The real problem is that they thrust you into that battle right after a full hour long siege chapter. I know that the game allows for saves whenever, but I was desperate for a break.

I hit the 30 hours mark and just reached the third area lol. I am basically 100% this game is so fun. In playing with units, I put 3 horseman, 2 with Rush and Calvary call and it just shreds enemies 😅. I am playing the game with an FE mentality so I will be upgrading my unit classes at level 20 lol.

I've played a bunch more, pretty close to the finish line (I think), it's super addicting and fun.

Weirdly I think my biggest "complaint" is that the game almost just gives you too many option and it kind of diminishes the strategy part of the game. At some point I realized (probably later than most) you don't actually have to really equip your individual units before a mission at all and it completely changes how you approach equipment in general because you don't have make decisions on who gets to wear what.

I think I'll give the unlockable difficulty with permadeath a shot after I beat it on expert, I feel the fear of losing a full unit of characters could make a big difference in how you approach missions in this game.

I’m still in the second area - this game is massive. And there’s so much to do! I just unlocked promotions and that adds so much to the complexity and tinkering aspect, I love it

I’m 12 hours in and have just left the first area. I think I’ve rinsed it though. The final boss area is hemmed in with a few level 38 battles and a level 40 one called ‘Unicorn Overlord’ that sounds a lot like a final battle. Meanwhile I’ve done so many sidequests that it made the battle on the border heading into the area I’ve chosen to tackle second a triviality. Mental note- I don’t need to do everything.

So much fun to still be unlocking classes and mechanics, tinkering with unit setups is so much fun. Every new skill learned is like ‘how does this change the setup?’, meanwhile you can loosely put units together and stumble onto strong units with the bare minimum of thought. Guard and dodge units up front, casters and archers in the back, experiment from there. I love how you don’t really need to dive too deep at all, but it’s there if you want to get lost in it. What was good was a sidequest to rescue a cleric leading to a one-round battle in the woods, where the idea is you need to clear it in one round to beat it but can retry as much as you like. So that kind of quest is the skill check for setting a unit up to perfectly counter the problem, and I love that, as it’s not under the time limit of the battles and has an instant restart. It’s more of a puzzle.

Last edited:
Up to 40 characters so far. I keep on expanding unit blocks just so I can keep them all deployed. It’s so rare for me to play a game like this and not have too many characters I can’t be bothered to field. There’s a lot of fun classes and combos that I’m really enjoying experimenting. Of all the abilities the leaders give to units though, the one some fliers have of, well, having the unit fly and thus ignore difficult terrain seems easily the most valuable. In one battle I hopped two flying detachments over a mountain to seize a stronghold and then start deploying more units from there, that was worth a bit more than ‘recover more quickly than waiting’ or whatever.

I've played a bunch more, pretty close to the finish line (I think), it's super addicting and fun.

Weirdly I think my biggest "complaint" is that the game almost just gives you too many option and it kind of diminishes the strategy part of the game. At some point I realized (probably later than most) you don't actually have to really equip your individual units before a mission at all and it completely changes how you approach equipment in general because you don't have make decisions on who gets to wear what.

I think I'll give the unlockable difficulty with permadeath a shot after I beat it on expert, I feel the fear of losing a full unit of characters could make a big difference in how you approach missions in this game.
Lack of permadeath definitely makes a huge difference. If I’m late in a battle and a unit has already got a ton of experience, and is far from a garrison, I’m quite happy to leave it fighting to the death and gaining a bit more as, once eliminated, it’s not like I was going to use it for anything else. Best to have some other units finish the fight. But with permadeath you just can’t leave your troops to die like that.

However, the time limits do exist to encourage efficient, effective playing of the objectives. I’m not sure how fun permadeath combined with a strict time limit would be, but hey, will be good to find out.

Starting to run into promoted units and I can definitely feel the difficulty going up a bit. It’s about time for me to adjust my team comps and really think about things a bit more

I'm glad I'm playing on normal. I still haven't recovered from the mental damage caused by Tactics Ogre Reborn's final boss. It's hard enough so I can't just throw my units at anything without thinking (although my Clive + Monica + Berenice + Adel group is turning into an auto-win button), but easy enough so that I don't have to rearrange my units every map.

Back
Top Bottom