• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

We are witnessing the Mario Sweep right before our very eyes.

It feels so gratifying somehow. I've been following this guy for about 20 years, and not only has he not faded into irrelevancy, but he still manages to reach new heights!

Jump up, Super star!

Wow, so according to this thread, literally all of the scenes with licensed music did indeed have an original score made for them, including the scene in Brooklyn. Damn…

They really should release a cut of the movie with the original score put back over the licensed music…

Wow, so according to this thread, literally all of the scenes with licensed music did indeed have an original score made for them, including the scene in Brooklyn. Damn…

They really should release a cut of the movie with the original score put back over the licensed music…

In this article from the rolling stones, it sounds like they inserted licensed music first.

Then, with the help of what Kondo provided, the movie composer created original scores for all the scenes. illumination/Miyamoto removed some licensed tracks, but felt the ones left in the final cut worked better than the original music created.

I really wish there were more videos on YouTube talking about how huge this all is that weren’t pressing some weird “Mario crushed woke Disney” narrative.
It's a shame too, because Disney is a shell of its former self. Not because it went "woke", but because Chapek decided to churn out franchise after franchise with little penchant for quality.

It's crazy that the Mario Movie, with like 1/2 of the budget of a Pixar film, looks better than a lot of Pixar films. Not in raw polygon counts or lighting or anything like that. But in things like originality, art style, setpieces. Compare the Mario Movie, to something like Lightyear, and it's a night and day difference.

The racing one works so well, and I lurve the DKC quotes.

In this article from the rolling stones, it sounds like they inserted licensed music first.

Then, with the help of what Kondo provided, the movie composer created original scores for all the scenes. illumination/Miyamoto removed some licensed tracks, but felt the ones left in the final cut worked better than the original music created.
Alright, hot take: I kinda agree. The racing one used a quote from DKC and was awesome, but where the movie doesn't directly quote the games I honestly feel like the score is kinda bland and doesn't pop as much as might be needed for these scenes.

I'd love the licensed music to be more creative though, that's for sure. Holding Out For A Hero, Take On Me & Thunderstruck certainly isn't a particularly inspired selection xD .

Damn, if they really felt that way then there’s probably no chance of them releasing a version of the movie without the licensed music… =/

This is surreal to look at.
image.png

I really wish there were more videos on YouTube talking about how huge this all is that weren’t pressing some weird “Mario crushed woke Disney” narrative.
The Mario movie features a man fighting to overcome anxiety and trauma put on him by both his family and a former boss who reeks of toxic masculinity, features a woman without a traditional family growing into an independent person who isn't afraid to stand toe-to-toe with men in positions of authority, and the villain is a kid's-movie parody of an incel...
but they think Disney is the "woke" one? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

The Mario movie features a man fighting to overcome anxiety and trauma put on him by both his family and a former boss who reeks of toxic masculinity, features a woman without a traditional family growing into an independent person who isn't afraid to stand toe-to-toe with men in positions of authority, and the villain is a kid's-movie parody of an incel...
but they think Disney is the "woke" one? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣
He even saves the day by becoming a sparkling rainbow man.

He was there in one frame. The best part is it was exact same as in the trailer, it was not even extended.

Yeah that is what I meant. The end credits scene basically implying next movie will have Yoshi is really fun. But I want Yoshi to be a main character next movie, give my boy a true origin story.

Yeah that is what I meant. The end credits scene basically implying next movie will have Yoshi is really fun. But I want Yoshi to be a main character next movie, give my boy a true origin story.
Nintendo just implying Galaxy 2 tactics and am here for it.

Nintendo just implying Galaxy 2 tactics and am here for it.
if I had to guess there's already three loose ends at the end of this:
-Why is there a Yoshi egg in the sewers of Brooklyn?
-Where does Peach come from?
-Why is (or was, lol) there a secret sealed underground abandoned area under Brooklyn with a pipe leading to the Mushroom Kingdom?

For everyone that said Mario movie's 5 days vs Frozen 2 movie's 3 days sales need to know that Mario still didn't have Japan & South Korean market yet but Frozen 2 launched with those market. Both market is huge for animated movies

I watched it yesterday again with my 10 years old cousin. While I‘m ok with the bland story, I think my main issues still are the pacing, editing and the original score. It takes me completely out of the film. Also I only now got that this movie has an actual original score with a Leitmotiv and everything.

Though I‘ve to say overall it‘s still enjoyable to watch, especially from a visual standpoint and generally as Mario fan. My highlight was to see how captivated my cousin was by this movie. He didn‘t laugh much but he still enjoyed it a lot. I think this movie really did something for him

I feel like this is what I meant with that the pacing/editing feels kinda off. Except for maybe Mr. Blue Sky the original score fits way better, I really wish they would have kept it like that.

Last edited:
Jesus so the reports about it already being the biggest WW animation opening ever at 377,6M US$ are true??? Also 200M on the US alone??

It's gonna break 1 billion dollars and it's doing it very soon. I think it's gonna break 500M by the end of its first 7 days.

Incredible.

I always took it that the Yoshi egg was probably what caused the Brooklyn main to break by getting stuck inthe pipes.
Just before the wedding started you see one of the Bowser minion's bringing the egg on the table of gifts. So probably the egg got sucked like everything else.

I always took it that the Yoshi egg was probably what caused the Brooklyn main to break by getting stuck inthe pipes.
so just like in the games, Yoshi's involved in Mario's origin story.

Just before the wedding started you see one of the Bowser minion's bringing the egg on the table of gifts. So probably the egg got sucked like everything else.
shit nm

I love the movie.
My only nitpick it's what i call speedrun any% feel of the movie haha hope next time they go a little slower now that there's confidence in the product.

The licensed music didn't bother me.
I mean it's kinda like the super show/ mario 3 show so even that on itself was nostalgic.

And a character died on the movie haha i didn't expect that let alone the kamikaze style.

So I'm having an interesting relationship with the Mario movie.

While watching the movie and immediately after (before the review post), I was kinda down on it. But the more thought I give it, the more I enjoy it, particularly as an adaptation. I enjoy how the characters were handled overall, a lot of the shots and expression work were exciting, and I appreciate the thematic cores that were there. The pace was still a little too fast, but the references and such were woven in with care and built into the story well.

Granted, what I said in my post is still true - this is not a top tier animated movie, and I want a sequel to push the humor or the emotion much further. But I'm earnestly excited for said sequel!

While watching the movie and immediately after (before the review post), I was kinda down on it. But the more thought I give it, the more I enjoy it, particularly as an adaptation. I enjoy how the characters were handled overall, a lot of the shots and expression work were exciting, and I appreciate the thematic cores that were there. The pace was still a little too fast, but the references and such were woven in with care and built into the story well.

Granted, what I said in my post is still true - this is not a top tier animated movie, and I want a sequel to push the humor or the emotion much further. But I'm earnestly excited for said sequel!

Honestly, all my critiques in that overly long review I wrote earlier this week come from the belief that they're not actually that far away from making something genuinely great.

As you say, I thought the characters were handled well for the most part. In terms of characterisation, I don't think they put much of a foot wrong.

The interactions were good as well. They nailed Mario and Luigi's relationship in this film. I mean shit, Mario and Peach have actual tangible chemistry - when has that ever happened?

I just need more - these are fun characters, let them breathe! Hopefully Nintendo aren't too taken with the box office numbers and look to improve with the scripting going forward.

Had some thoughts today.

• After a few rewatches, I finally caught on that when Bowser's Fortress materializes in Brooklyn during the finale, it is over the empty construction lot that Foreman Spike was working in, therefore bypassing the implication of just how much destruction it would have caused by dropping down into New York City without warning. Like still a lot, but we can at least assume no one was on site at the time.
  • Mario and Luigi moving to the Mushroom Kingdom and likely commuting back to Brooklyn for their jobs is actually a very practical thing to do, given the business of their original apartment, and that they now likely to not need to pay rent. It is also probably gives them a nice competitive advantage, which I will explain at the end of all this.

The timeline of this movie is kind of interesting, and Mario spends a least a few different periods without getting much sleep:
  • By my reckoning, it is lunch time when the movie starts with the brothers at the pizzeria, then they go to their first job, and return home for dinner. Mario goes to his room after walking out on dinner, where they see the news cast about the flooding in Brooklyn. It is firmly nighttime at this point, when they go into the pipe to the Mushroom Kingdom
  • When Mario arrives in the Mushroom Kingdom, it is daytime. It is night for Luigi in the Dark Lands, but it's possible that it's perpetually night in the Dark Lands, or that the events are shown non-chronologically. But for now we're sticking with Mario. So, from Mario's perspective, he has gone from it being dark nighttime to bright daylight. This gives us three possibilities: The preceding events took longer than it seems, that the Mushroom Kingdom's time of day is out of sync with Brooklyn (12 hours I believe), or that time behaves differently altogether between worlds. For reasons I'll explain later, I believe the second case is the most likely.
  • Mario and Toad make their way to the castle, and seem to arrive late afternoon. Peach then takes him to the training course, where he spends the evening and full night trying to complete it (Peach gets some rest during this, but Mario does not).
  • Mario, Peach, and Toad set out for the Jungle Kingdom in the morning, and we do not know how long this takes exactly, but it does seem to take at minimum two days, as we get at least one scene of it being nighttime. We can assume that Mario finally gets some sleep on this first night, though even with the 12 hour time difference, he's still likely been up about two and a half days at this point.
  • We can probably assume the journey did take more than two days by foot, as the return trip via kart takes the full night (I'll give more details in a bit.) Mario, Peach, and Toad arrive at the Jungle Kingdom during the day, and it is likely later afternoon/early evening by the time they depart with the Kong Army on Rainbow Road. They are ambushed during the night, and by the time Peach arrives back in the Mushroom Kingdom, it is dawn, and she is likely captured by Bowser shortly after. Mario and Donkey Kong also likely escape the eel around this time, as it is daylight when they emerge.
  • The wedding seems to take place midday. However, when Mario arrives back in Brooklyn, it is predawn (this, combined with the entrance to the Mushroom Kingdom, is where I take the 12 hour time differential from). We also see Foreman Spike, probably on his way to the nearby construction lot, react with surprise at seeing Mario, though he quickly ribs him again. This kind of implies that a bit of time has been passed so that he's surprised to see Mario, but not enough to be overly shocked. The final battle sees the daylight get brighter, and it is fully daybreak by the time Bowser is defeated.

So based on the above, since Mario wakes up at 8:00 am in the final scene, Mario and Luigi have likely found a nice profitable niche as on call overnight plumbers, able to cater to Brooklyn while other competitors are closed, but able to keep a standard sleep schedule! Very Smart!

Had some thoughts today.

• After a few rewatches, I finally caught on that when Bowser's Fortress materializes in Brooklyn during the finale, it is over the empty construction lot that Foreman Spike was working in, therefore bypassing the implication of just how much destruction it would have caused by dropping down into New York City without warning. Like still a lot, but we can at least assume no one was on site at the time.
  • Mario and Luigi moving to the Mushroom Kingdom and likely commuting back to Brooklyn for their jobs is actually a very practical thing to do, given the business of their original apartment, and that they now likely to not need to pay rent. It is also probably gives them a nice competitive advantage, which I will explain at the end of all this.

The timeline of this movie is kind of interesting, and Mario spends a least a few different periods without getting much sleep:
  • By my reckoning, it is lunch time when the movie starts with the brothers at the pizzeria, then they go to their first job, and return home for dinner. Mario goes to his room after walking out on dinner, where they see the news cast about the flooding in Brooklyn. It is firmly nighttime at this point, when they go into the pipe to the Mushroom Kingdom
  • When Mario arrives in the Mushroom Kingdom, it is daytime. It is night for Luigi in the Dark Lands, but it's possible that it's perpetually night in the Dark Lands, or that the events are shown non-chronologically. But for now we're sticking with Mario. So, from Mario's perspective, he has gone from it being dark nighttime to bright daylight. This gives us three possibilities: The preceding events took longer than it seems, that the Mushroom Kingdom's time of day is out of sync with Brooklyn (12 hours I believe), or that time behaves differently altogether between worlds. For reasons I'll explain later, I believe the second case is the most likely.
  • Mario and Toad make their way to the castle, and seem to arrive late afternoon. Peach then takes him to the training course, where he spends the evening and full night trying to complete it (Peach gets some rest during this, but Mario does not).
  • Mario, Peach, and Toad set out for the Jungle Kingdom in the morning, and we do not know how long this takes exactly, but it does seem to take at minimum two days, as we get at least one scene of it being nighttime. We can assume that Mario finally gets some sleep on this first night, though even with the 12 hour time difference, he's still likely been up about two and a half days at this point.
  • We can probably assume the journey did take more than two days by foot, as the return trip via kart takes the full night (I'll give more details in a bit.) Mario, Peach, and Toad arrive at the Jungle Kingdom during the day, and it is likely later afternoon/early evening by the time they depart with the Kong Army on Rainbow Road. They are ambushed during the night, and by the time Peach arrives back in the Mushroom Kingdom, it is dawn, and she is likely captured by Bowser shortly after. Mario and Donkey Kong also likely escape the eel around this time, as it is daylight when they emerge.
  • The wedding seems to take place midday. However, when Mario arrives back in Brooklyn, it is predawn (this, combined with the entrance to the Mushroom Kingdom, is where I take the 12 hour time differential from). We also see Foreman Spike, probably on his way to the nearby construction lot, react with surprise at seeing Mario, though he quickly ribs him again. This kind of implies that a bit of time has been passed so that he's surprised to see Mario, but not enough to be overly shocked. The final battle sees the daylight get brighter, and it is fully daybreak by the time Bowser is defeated.

So based on the above, since Mario wakes up at 8:00 am in the final scene, Mario and Luigi have likely found a nice profitable niche as on call overnight plumbers, able to cater to Brooklyn while other competitors are closed, but able to keep a standard sleep schedule! Very Smart!
This is why I love Famiboards. 10/10.

Had some thoughts today.

Interesting, that would explain why

The brother's family wasnt concerned about them not making it to their meal

Interesting, that would explain why

The brother's family wasnt concerned about them not making it to their meal
I actually initially considered it was possible all of the stuff happened overnight from the perspective of Brooklyn, and we saw the breakfast from the next day, which would almost certainly indicate time dilation happening within the Mushroom Kingdom, but since Brooklyn seems to have resolved the flooding issue, Foreman Spike's reaction, and the viability of commuting from a home in the Mushroom Kingdom, leads me to think just a simple time of day offset is more likely.

I went and saw it a second time today. I think it is better on a repeat viewing, because you aren't as critical of plot and character evolution when you already know exactly what's going to happen anyway (or at least that's the case for me). You're more just along for the ride, and "the ride" is kind of what this movie's pace lets it do best.

Some of the posts here discussing how Bowser and Mario are foils
in relation to how they manage and confront their insecurities also let me examine the characters in that different light. I had already caught on about how much bowser feels "incel-y," but now I wonder if that was an intentional parallel or if it was more that they happen to share some pathetic qualities. Given the directors, I'm tempted to believe it was intentional. Bowser's objectification of Peach, and using what she cares about to manipulate her toward his ends is contrasted by Mario (to an extent) more naturally developing a rapport with Peach through open conversation, respect for her abilities and interests, and his determination in helping his brother. It just hits me so hard that Bowser matches that try-hard, self-centered, "I deserve your affection, and you'll give it or else it's everyone's problem" stereotype. It's a pretty simple movie, but I think the lesson to be taken away in this sense is pretty good for kids, especially with a male lead.

In a different, not-very spoilery topic,
listening to the "score that could have been" edited back in to the scenes, the only one that I thought was a potential improvement was the one for driving to the throne room after arriving to the Kong's land. The initial training montage in particular just didn't hit hard enough and made it feel a little low energy. Not to say that the final choices were inspired, but just on a direct comparison to the potential score from the soundtrack.

On a different different topic, I noticed that in the initial plumbing scene at the rich person house, Luigi
Luigi blocks the water with the round mirror, pretty much perfectly paralelling how he blocks Bowser's flames at the end. I wonder if there are any other direct paralells between those scenes?

I keep thinking about how Sonic's movies went, how the first one was a little breezy and kids-movie-ish and played it safe in most regards, then the success of that one with kids and adults led to a 2-hour sequel that expanded in every direction and went hard on lore.

And it makes me wonder.. after this massive success, will Nintendo/Illumination just make a sequel that mirrors this first movie's strategy, or will they open up and go for broke next time?

The last time Illumination felt comfortable doing a longer movie for a sequel it performed weak, so I think it'll depend on how willing they are to put their hand in the fire again.

Most movies start with licensed music first because those are just for internal purposes. Prior to the early 2000s you'd have storyboards with keyboards playing the music.

The last time Illumination felt comfortable doing a longer movie for a sequel it performed weak, so I think it'll depend on how willing they are to put their hand in the fire again.
Yeah but there are different variables at play here, namely Nintendo's opinion. Also I know it's anecdotal but almost all the criticism I've seen of the movie from audiences has been that the movie was short and scenes/character beats didn't have time to breathe. You'd think that'd be the sort of feedback they'd take to heart.

I'd hope, anyway 😅

I keep thinking about how Sonic's movies went, how the first one was a little breezy and kids-movie-ish and played it safe in most regards, then the success of that one with kids and adults led to a 2-hour sequel that expanded in every direction and went hard on lore.

And it makes me wonder.. after this massive success, will Nintendo/Illumination just make a sequel that mirrors this first movie's strategy, or will they open up and go for broke next time?
Yeah, so much of it depends on what Nintendo and Illumination want for the property. The films will always remain reverent to the games, and Nintendo will surely always stay on board, so no worries on that front. But in terms of storytelling and plot, I can see them being more willing to go bolder and deeper just as easily as I can see them not wanting to mess with what they perceive as a good thing.

I just hope a Mario sequel doesn't have an unfunny 15 minute segue way that completely kills the pacing and has next to nothing to do with any of the characters that actually matter.

Godamn it, Sonic 2.

Edit: To add to the discussion further, I'd like to think Nintendo retain an interest in keeping Mario as prestige as possible. Hopefully they treat the movies like the mainline games in the sense that they continually try to find ways to improve - regardless of sales.

I just hope a Mario sequel doesn't have an unfunny 15 minute segue way that completely kills the pacing and has next to nothing to do with any of the characters that actually matter.

Godamn it, Sonic 2.

Edit: To add to the discussion further, I'd like to think Nintendo retain an interest in keeping Mario as prestige as possible. Hopefully they treat the movies like the mainline games in the sense that they continually try to find ways to improve - regardless of sales.

I think we'll see a much tighter direction for Sonic 3 in that regard. SA2 is a damn breakneck paced storyline for good or ill.

I fully believe Miyamoto is within the list of people that would want both Mr. Blue Sky and Take On Me in a Mario movie, so this story checks out.

Godamn it, Sonic 2.
I for one can't wait for the government to crash Uncle Tony's wedding in the next Mario Movie

I think we'll see a much tighter direction for Sonic 3 in that regard. SA2 is a damn breakneck paced storyline for good or ill.
If Sonic 3 is adherent to SA2, they'd be juggling the six playable characters alone, plus potentially Amy. Tom, Maddie and Agent Stone are probably the main non-Robotnik humans who will have a role, plus the GUN Commander.

That's 11 characters at least, and I haven't even counted Maria or Gerald Robotnik yet. Hopefully the film doesn't waste any meaningful time on Wade or Rachel or whatever.

FWIW, I don't think Sonic 3 will be a straight SA2 adaptation, at least in terms of character count. Even so, hopefully they have the confidence this time around to just let the Sonic elements support the film rather than crowbar in a desperate non-sequitor.

The next Mario movie will obviously have Bowser Jr as the main villian.

And like. Mario will be sentenced for his Crimes and force to do community service of cleaning.

And like. There will be this professor with a gadget to help him.

And like. Color Yoshi’s with special abilities that hate water and disintegrate at the slightest touch.

That’s right. Ya hate the game. Time for redemption but in film form!

Back
Top Bottom