• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

If Sonic 3 is adherent to SA2, they'd be juggling the six playable characters alone, plus potentially Amy. Tom, Maddie and Agent Stone are probably the main non-Robotnik humans who will have a role, plus the GUN Commander.

That's 11 characters at least, and I haven't even counted Maria or Gerald Robotnik yet. Hopefully the film doesn't waste any meaningful time on Wade or Rachel or whatever.

FWIW, I don't think Sonic 3 will be a straight SA2 adaptation, at least in terms of character count. Even so, hopefully they have the confidence this time around to just let the Sonic elements support the film rather than crowbar in a desperate non-sequitor.
To be fair, I think Knuckles will be taking a back seat along with some side characters since he's getting a series all to himself, which I'm sure will be building up to Sonic 3 in some way.

I think we'll see a much tighter direction for Sonic 3 in that regard. SA2 is a damn breakneck paced storyline for good or ill.

That's if they attempt to go for as straight of an adaptation of SA2 as possible (accounting for the differences in the movie universe); which I don't expect either. I do expect the human cast (sans Robotnik, Stone, the GUN commander, Maria and Gerald) to take a major backseat out of necessity though. Even if they use the Knuckles spin-off series this year to introduce Rouge, they still need to devote time to giving Amy a full introduction as well. There's just a lot to balance in there.

I also think they'll just straight-up replace Biolizard with Perfect Chaos.

I really wish there were more videos on YouTube talking about how huge this all is that weren’t pressing some weird “Mario crushed woke Disney” narrative.
Honest to god stumbled earlier upon two "Comicsgate" guys arguing with each other over if this movie was woke trash or if it was anti-woke and thus pwning the woke-critics. It was almost funny until I remembered this is these people's life.

That's if they attempt to go for as straight of an adaptation of SA2 as possible (accounting for the differences in the movie universe); which I don't expect either. I do expect the human cast (sans Robotnik, Stone, the GUN commander, Maria and Gerald) to take a major backseat out of necessity though. Even if they use the Knuckles spin-off series this year to introduce Rouge, they still need to devote time to giving Amy a full introduction as well. There's just a lot to balance in there.

I can see Tom and Maddie easily integrated especially if Tom's family were involved in the Ark incident. Which given Tom's background could be a possibility.

I strongly prefer Chaos to the Biolizard but any story with Chaos aughta have the ancient Echidna tribe to really flesh it out, and if we're getting Shadow this time around then I think the villain backstory this time around will have to be Maria and Gerald Robotnik, leaving no time for Chaos' lore.

Actually the Echidna tribe and Chaos' history might be a good plotline for the Knuckles series. Even though it's been my dream since the damn 90s to see Perfect Chaos on the big screen.

Isn't it amazing that months ago there was that bullshit leak about the movie being a musical and we were all "lol eww what" and now fast forward to today and Jack Black has a Bowser music video out and a shot for an Oscar nom for Best Original Song. 🤘

Mark me and my brother down as Mario movie enjoyers. Sure the pace was super quick and the voice cast was mixed but overall really fun and it was cool seeing Mario on the big screen.

Some interesting quotes from Miyamoto in this interview

Up until only recently, the general sentiment was that video game movies are bad. Lately, it seems like video game adaptations have gotten so much better, and I think that the Super Mario Bros. Movie is a great example of that. What do you think changed?

SM: I think one thing to consider is just the thoughts and feelings of the creators making them has changed and evolved. Speaking specifically about this movie, there's now a set of creators on the movie creative teams that have grown up with and understand Mario. That's a big point.

On our end, we're really busy creating games, so on the one side, we kind of feel like, "I've got someone else to make the movies because we're really busy." But at the same time, it's really important that the people who understand the important aspects of the game are part of that movie creative team so they have a really deep understanding of the important aspects of what makes the game the game it is, and also they have the skills and know-how to create movies. I think that's what's important.

When you have a team of people who feel that way and who have that experience, they can have the discussions that are really necessary to create a movie that can only be from this game. What I mean by that is that sometimes, I think it might be easy to assume that as long as we follow the beats across the span of a game, an enjoyable movie should be created. It's kind of a naïve way of thinking.

I think it's really important to make a movie that has interesting drama and then add interesting and important game elements to that to make something great. If we can shift the way we think into creating movies like that, we can kind of do away with the "video game movie" genre and just enjoy good movies.

Do you see any ways that the Mario movie could influence the games going forward?

SM: When we were creating games back in the day, there were movies that we watched that might have influenced us. But now, we're in kind of uncharted territory for how Nintendo movies may impact and influence Nintendo games. But really, our approach with the integrated hardware and software is something I'm really looking forward to how that will change.

Now let's laugh at how ridiculously wrong this "leaked plot summary" from last year ended up being.

xl936juesku81.jpg

In hindsight, the fact that it mentioned Toadsworth as well as female toads outside of Toadette was a pretty big red flag about it being fake lmao

It's going to be fascinating to how this does over the week, I hope it has good legs.

Now let's laugh at how ridiculously wrong this "leaked plot summary" from last year ended up being.

xl936juesku81.jpg
interestingly enough, during the movie production/pre-production, Miyamoto thought they should place Donkey Kong somewhere in New York so maybe in an earlier draft he was there?

This movie avalanche of success really feels like Pokémon Go and Animal Crossing: New Horizons 2.0. Reaching the zeitgeist beyond the gaming bubble. Literally witnessing something historic yet again.

Last edited:
The next Mario movie will obviously have Bowser Jr as the main villian.

And like. Mario will be sentenced for his Crimes and force to do community service of cleaning.

And like. There will be this professor with a gadget to help him.

And like. Color Yoshi’s with special abilities that hate water and disintegrate at the slightest touch.

That’s right. Ya hate the game. Time for redemption but in film form!
In my head I see Tatanga as the next villain, and he hypnotizes the resident kingdoms to do his bidding.

A post-Bowser Fortress Brooklyn newscast with a montage from various headlines and media would be a great way to start the sequel as a way to establish the Mario Brothers becoming this overnight sensation, along with being New York’s top plumbers.

Daisy is introduced as a new resident in Brooklyn working part-time for Mona Pizza’s and Luigi develops an infatuation for her, all the while she’s intruiged as to where the Brothers head after-hours considering their fame (and the nature of the Warp Pipe as she discovers it).

A hypnotized Donkey Kong kidnaps Pauline at an unvieling of new construction plans on top of the Bowser’s Fortress Grounds. The classic Donkey Kong arcade moment is recreated (and later becomes an explanation as to why “Jump Man” gets renamed to “Donkey Kong”), but when DK snaps out of it, it was revealed all the Kongs have been subjugated by Tatanga via hypnosis, and DK used the Warp Pipes to try to warn Peach before he himself got struck with hypnosis himself while trying to escape. The Bros. decide to head back with DK to the Mushroom Kingdom and ask the Princess for aide, with a curious Daisy following pursuit unbeknownst to them.

However somewhere along the way, both Mario, Peach, and DK get kidnapped. We are left with a panicking Luigi and a clueless yet determined Daisy. An earlier scene in the castle would see her witness a shrunk down serenading Bowser still wanting to do anything for Peach, and Daisy gets the idea to free Bowser as a way for them to be able to pursue Tatanga. All three decide to sneak back to Brooklyn to “fetch” Bowser’s Castle before going after the mind-controlling alien, who is now targeting the Kingdoms of Sarasaland next. (At this point Daisy understands how Warp Pipes work well enough that they fire a Bazai Bill into it to teleport the Fortress back to the Mushroom Kingdom.)

I think the trio of Daisy, Luigi, and Bowser can play off each other really well. Luigi has to muster courage, and oddly gets some advice from his former nemesis, while Bowser gets love advice from Daisy. Along the way they find and ally with Yoshi, who seem to not be affected by Tatanga’s hypnosis.

…Yeah, I’ve been mulling alot about a sequel haha. But I simply don’t want Bowser as the villain in the next one.

Also the end credits to the sequel should play the Super Mario Land song from the Super Mario Compact Disco album.

Last edited:
That was pretty fun! It had more heart than I imagined it would, but you could tell a lot got left on the cutting floor. Still, had a good time watching it and obviously enjoyed all the references.

Donkey Kong stole the show. Get me that movie spin-off now with K. Rool as the bad guy.

Not sure if it sounds the same in the movie, but the clip for Peaches with Jack Black sounds weeeeeird. Seems like it's pitch shifted, which doesn't jive well with Jack Black's appearance as a human.

It's a killer song though, stupid in the best of ways xD . We're still singing it around the house.

Not sure if it sounds the same in the movie, but the clip for Peaches with Jack Black sounds weeeeeird. Seems like it's pitch shifted, which doesn't jive well with Jack Black's appearance as a human.

It's a killer song though, stupid in the best of ways xD . We're still singing it around the house.

Mario Movie Oscar for best animation. (Note: NOT best animated movie)
Jack Black Oscar for best OST.

Like it should be.

I'd love for it to be TMNT but damn, fuckin Spiderverse...
That trailer just sealed the deal. This thing will blew out of the water every single animated movie coming this year in terms of quality. And there aren't a lot of reasonable competition to come (Gilman, Wish, TMNT, Trolls 3? that's about it? not a lot of competition)

In my head I see Tatanga as the next villain, and he hypnotizes the resident kingdoms to do his bidding.

A post-Bowser Fortress Brooklyn newscast with a montage from various headlines and media would be a great way to start the sequel as a way to establish the Mario Brothers becoming this overnight sensation, along with being New York’s top plumbers.

Daisy is introduced as a new resident in Brooklyn working part-time for Mona Pizza’s and Luigi develops an infatuation for her, all the while she’s intruiged as to where the Brothers head after-hours considering their fame (and the nature of the Warp Pipe as she discovers it).

A hypnotized Donkey Kong kidnaps Pauline at an unvieling of new construction plans on top of the Bowser’s Fortress Grounds. The classic Donkey Kong arcade moment is recreated (and later becomes an explanation as to why “Jump Man” gets renamed to “Donkey Kong”), but when DK snaps out of it, it was revealed all the Kongs have been subjugated by Tatanga via hypnosis, and DK used the Warp Pipes to try to warn Peach before he himself got struck with hypnosis himself while trying to escape. The Bros. decide to head back with DK to the Mushroom Kingdom and ask the Princess for aide, with a curious Daisy following pursuit unbeknownst to them.

However somewhere along the way, both Mario, Peach, and DK get kidnapped. We are left with a panicking Luigi and a clueless yet determined Daisy. An earlier scene in the castle would see her witness a shrunk down serenading Bowser still wanting to do anything for Peach, and Daisy gets the idea to free Bowser as a way for them to be able to pursue Tatanga. All three decide to sneak back to Brooklyn to “fetch” Bowser’s Castle before going after the mind-controlling alien, who is now targeting the Kingdoms of Sarasaland next. (At this point Daisy understands how Warp Pipes work well enough that they fire a Bazai Bill into it to teleport the Fortress back to the Mushroom Kingdom.)

I think the trio of Daisy, Luigi, and Bowser can play off each other really well. Luigi has to muster courage, and oddly gets some advice from his former nemesis, while Bowser gets love advice from Daisy. Along the way they find and ally with Yoshi, who seem to not be affected by Tatanga’s hypnosis.

…Yeah, I’ve been mulling alot about a sequel haha. But I simply don’t want Bowser as the villain in the next one.

Also the end credits to the sequel should play the Super Mario Land song from the Super Mario Compact Disco album.

TBF, I've been wondering because since the ending is so freaking abrupt (another victim of the movie's ultra fast pacing) there's quite a few loose ends.

How the heck do they go back to the Mushroom Kingdom after the incident in Brooklyn? That pipe is probably under a good amount of ruins. How the heck do they have another warping pipe to Brooklyn given the underground area shows specifically only one? If it's not there already how the heck do they make warp pipes to another world? The incident in Brooklyn cannot possibly have stayed in Brooklyn given the scale of it. A giant castle and supernatural creatures coming out of the sewers? Will there be real world repercussions?

TBF, I've been wondering because the ending is so freaking abrupt (another victim of the movie's ultra fast pacing) there's quite a few loose ends.

How the heck do they go back to the Mushroom Kingdom after the incident in Brooklyn? That pipe is probably under a good amount of ruins. How the heck do they have another warping pipe to Brooklyn given the underground area shows specifically only one? If it's not there already how the heck do they make warp pipes to another world?
There could be multiple pipes in Brooklyn or elsewhere in New York/the world, given we know there are multiple ones in the Mushroom Kingdom’s world from Luigi ending up in the Dark Lands. But more likely, I think the original pipes are fine, the bomber bill went through it, and it’s explosion seemed to create a powerful influx of energy that just warped things in the surrounding area directly to Brooklyn. This also seems to have been one way, as in just things on the Mushroom Kingdom coming through, nothing from Brooklyn going back. There was surprisingly little collateral damage to Brooklyn, Bowser’s Fortress seemed to materialize over an empty construction lot, and the damage extends to a few blocks of a single street, so the underground area is likely mostly fine.

TBF, I've been wondering because since the ending is so freaking abrupt (another victim of the movie's ultra fast pacing) there's quite a few loose ends.

How the heck do they go back to the Mushroom Kingdom after the incident in Brooklyn? That pipe is probably under a good amount of ruins. How the heck do they have another warping pipe to Brooklyn given the underground area shows specifically only one? If it's not there already how the heck do they make warp pipes to another world? The incident in Brooklyn cannot possibly have stayed in Brooklyn given the scale of it. A giant castle and supernatural creatures coming out of the sewers? Will there be real world repercussions?
they're plumbers, they just fixed the pipe

There could be multiple pipes in Brooklyn or elsewhere in New York/the world, given we know there are multiple ones in the Mushroom Kingdom’s world from Luigi ending up in the Dark Lands. But more likely, I think the original pipes are fine, the bomber bill went through it, and it’s explosion seemed to create a powerful influx of energy that just warped things in the surrounding area directly to Brooklyn. This also seems to have been one way, as in just things on the Mushroom Kingdom coming through, nothing from Brooklyn going back. There was surprisingly little collateral damage to Brooklyn, Bowser’s Fortress seemed to materialize over an empty construction lot, and the damage extends to a few blocks of a single street, so the underground area is likely mostly fine.
Thing is, Luigi ended up in the Dark Lands specifically because the tunnel coming from Brooklyn separated into two ways, that's why they were separated, so I wonder, because clearly that pipe at the end isn't the one Mario came from originally, how did they go back to Brooklyn by that one? Did they just make a pipe in the middle of Toad Town to have a direct link to the original pipe? I can't really see them coming from anywhere else, there's an emphasis on the OG pipe being in an area that's been abandoned for ages, which is probably intended to be an explanation on why nobody never discovered this link to another world when fixing pipeline in the sewers (and something that is likely to be elaborated on in sequel stuff)

Several six year olds were thrilled and yelling at me about the Mario movie this morning when I dropped my kid off for school, so I think maybe it was a Hit

my only big disappointment with the film is they went with the snes rainbow road theme and not the infinitely superior 64 or wii
The SNES Rainbow Road and its theme blew me away as a kid and I've always loved it, and those notes popping up in the movie once they landed on the road was one of the three times I started crying during the movie so.. 😅

I've been wondering if this was more of an event film that would open huge and then fall back to Earth relatively quickly (though still make a ton of money), or if it would have legs, and this kind of Monday drops indicates some strong legs coming up. Seems like Nintendo evergreens might apply to more than games.

Dang. The score for this movie is so good. Was listening to Level Complete while working earlier and the mashup between The Underworld Theme and Captain Toad’s ‘Too too too toooos’ gets me so good. That whole credits medley is just great.

So many other standout tracks, as well. Strange New World, Platforming Princess, Peaches, etc…

I've been wondering if this was more of an event film that would open huge and then fall back to Earth relatively quickly (though still make a ton of money), or if it would have legs, and this kind of Monday drops indicates some strong legs coming up. Seems like Nintendo evergreens might apply to more than games.
Animated movies typically have long legs since they’re family movies which means more walk up business and less rush factor. Blockbuster franchises like Marvel and Fast are more likely to be frontloaded due to having big fanbases that go opening weekend, with less appeal to average movie goers since they’re long running stories with heavy focus on sequels and continuity.

Back
Top Bottom