• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

time for the Paper Mario film.

Where the weirdness and 4th walk/quirky humor makes audience go “damn, Mario universe is weirder then we thought”

Anyways. It been successful means we are at least get a few more media stuff. Hopefully they turn out well

The perfect sauce is there. Incredible word of mouth and no big movies releasing for the rest of the month.
Not perfect because many journalists join hand together to condemn this Mario movie which they are wrong. I think every other big movie also will not launch side by side likes Avengers End Games, Avatar 2 & coming Guardians Galaxy 3 also didn't have competitors in many weeks from launch

Not the biggest opening of all time. Whew lord
jonny5.gif
Just miss several millions from Transformer Fallen to become No.1 in opening record for movie but it's already No.1 in opening record for animation movie & game based animation movie

Nintendo's primary business will always be dedicated game platform and their software but with theme parks now opened and first movie premiered, you could just see how this worked for them, altough they are quietly stepping down from mobile business.

Their IP's are massive, and theme parks/movies will open them to so much people you can not even imagine.

I think we now reached to the point where first showing teaser for Mario Movie 2 in few years can totally be in a General Nintendo Direct, no need to do it separately now, this is huge. What a turnaround from the initial cast reveal.

Nintendo's primary business will always be dedicated game platform and their software but with theme parks now opened and first movie premiered, you could just see how this worked for them, altough they are quietly stepping down from mobile business.

Their IP's are massive, and theme parks/movies will open them to so much people you can not even imagine.

I think we now reached to the point where first showing teaser for Mario Movie 2 in few years can totally be in a General Nintendo Direct, no need to do it separately now, this is huge. What a turnaround from the initial cast reveal.
Yup, that's why many competitors scared likes Disney because Nintendo successful in video games & now in movies also. Meanwhile Disney already abandoned their video games division & their movies also become worst than before

Demographic data
Moviegoers were guys at 60%, with 62% between 18-34 with the largest quad being 18-24 years old at 33%. Diversity demos showed Latino and Hispanic audiences in the lead at 41%, Caucasian at 30%, Black at 15% and Asian/other at 14%.

time for the Paper Mario film.

Where the weirdness and 4th walk/quirky humor makes audience go “damn, Mario universe is weirder then we thought”

Anyways. It been successful means we are at least get a few more media stuff. Hopefully they turn out well
Funnily enough, this movie actualy kinda felt like a Paper Mario 1 movie at times to me, what with opening with Bowser stealing the power of the stars, his floating castle with a giant bowser skull at the forefront and a lot of the dialogue being that kinda humor Paper Mario does where "it is funny someone is saying something this pig-headed outloud".

This is a faithful Mario movie but it's not a very good movie on its own.
Dunno about that. The story centered around Mario & Luigi's relationship as brothers was a good call, and Mario feeling personally responsible for his brother's well-being is what carries him to do such wreckless things to begin with. Mario never wanted to be a hero, and even the entire cast seems to treat his presence as kind of a third wheel. I honestly that felt like a refreshing take on the typical "savior from another world" template.

I just feel people are too cynical to take it as anything other than wholesome. What's Ironic is people complaining why Peach is "such a girlboss" in this one, when the same people complained how the Mario cliche of saving the princess has been done to death.

So yeah, it's not the best movie out there, but is it bad? I can't really say it's bad at all. If you want bad, try the 1993 Mario Movie.

Last edited:
Got to see this with my brother last night and we both had a wonderful time. This is definitely the kind of movie I would want to see more than once to try to catch all of the references. Jack Black's Bowser was my favorite thing aside from the imprisoned Luma.

So I'm at my theater before my showing, and it's cute to see the decorations they set up. Some Mario wall stickers behind the box office window, a little banner set up for the Regal movie plan, even the claw machine had all Mario plushes (though it's basically empty now). There is a lot of excitement for this movie!

I also do think the next film should be more about Luigi...and Daisy! Mario & Peach getting kidnapped by Wart, and Daisy & Luigi needing to enlist some allies including Bowser (since he is still infatuated with Peach).

It would also be nice if it was Bowser, among all other characters, that makes Luigi come out of his shell more.

That feeling when you saw that Chris Meledandri and SHIGERU MIYAMOTO Production at the beginning. Goosebumbs right away.

I mean those are cool but considering the high quality often associated with the mainline Mario franchise, Mario deserves a bit of those things in the film medium. This is a faithful Mario movie but it's not a very good movie on its own. You'd want Mario to get there too.

The flipside to that argument is if this what Nintendo can do their first time holding a baseball bat (basically) ... knock a home run out of the park ... the potential they have in the film/media space is enormous.

The Mario sequel may well have a better story ... what are we talking about then? 1.5 billion+? The potential is staggering.

Just saw it with the kid (9yo). He adored it. I had fun - it's a competent base for future material, but on it's own it's not very memorable.

It's all well-executed though, despite being so standard. I liked how the movie finally did what Nintendo itself went backward on with Odyssey: an active role for Peach. She starts out as a tropey "strong and distant lady" but fortunately develops into a more three-dimensional character and has a great balance of being a badass and being human. Curious how much of that came from Illumination - I'd say most of it. Would love to be wrong and have Peach in an active role again next mainline Mario.

Despite being so standard I did like how efficient and effective it was - that feels like the Nintendo touch. Maybe it's a bit too streamlined narratively - Toad and Mario getting to know each other and starting their adventure took 30 seconds =P .

Would also like to know what role Nintendo had in the development of the movie - there was a "Nintendo team" in the credits (I finally spotted my boi Mahito Yokota again there!). They even had a specific shoutout for Iwata, which was graceful.

Finally: we're totally getting a DK game soon aren't we? Of all the Nintendo stuff they could've highlighted they went for the Kongs =P .

It looks like the designs for Mario's family were designs that Nintendo had already conceptualized in-house a long time ago. They were building the secret Mario lore underneath our eyes.

So they designed Mario's entire family but they did absolutely nothing with them? Were they made for Odyssey by any chance?

so when should we talk about how bad
king boo looked
I wouldn't say bad but he did look a bit off. Sucks that they used the infinitely inferior Mario Kart design for him and not the Luigi's Mansion design. If we ever get a Luigi's Mansion spin-off movie, I hope something gets done about that.

Dunno about that. The story centered around Mario & Luigi's relationship as brothers was a good call, and Mario feeling personally responsible for his brother's well-being is what carries him to do such wreckless things to begin with. Mario never wanted to be a hero, and even the entire cast seems to treat his presence as kind of a third wheel. I honestly that felt like a refreshing take on the typical "savior from another world" template.

I just feel people are too cynical to take it as anything other than wholesome. What's Ironic is people complaining why Peach is "such a girlboss" in this one, when the same people complained how the Mario cliche of saving the princess has been done to death.

So yeah, it's not the best movie out there, but is it bad? I can't really say it's bad at all. If you want bad, try the 1993 Mario Movie.
there is a foundation and an conclusion to the brother arcs but something is kind of missing in-between for Mario's arc (like when his big emotional moment happens after essentially giving up to Bowser (in the last 10 minutes!), the SMB plumbing commercial plays in front of him but it was kind of a bit difficult for me to understand exactly what about it that would recharge his confidence (I'm guessing his own message displayed by him and his brother and then seeing himself beat-up and giving up after the commercial ends? I suck at understanding silent storytelling from time to time heh). The movie does not quite hammer up that he's definitely accepted as a quality what people push him to see as a flaw by the end.

Last edited:
Quoted by: SiG
so when should we talk about how bad
king boo looked
I keep hearing people complain alot about it, but from what I understand, this King Boo is based more on the King Boo from Mario Kart series, not King Boo from Luigi's Mansion, hence the lack of demented eyes and crown without jewel.

That must mean there could be many varieties of King Boo, and LM's is a special case.

It's all well-executed though, despite being so standard. I liked how the movie finally did what Nintendo itself went backward on with Odyssey: an active role for Peach. She starts out as a tropey "strong and distant lady" but fortunately develops into a more three-dimensional character and has a great balance of being a badass and being human. Curious how much of that came from Illumination - I'd say most of it. Would love to be wrong and have Peach in an active role again next mainline Mario.
And people complained about how "girlbossy" Peach is...which I simply don't get.

IMO, her being the guide in the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond makes sense. Oddly enough, I found her "mysterious origins" portion echo a lot of the 1993 Mario Movie but in reverse (the implication she comes from the human world, instead of originally being part of the Mushroom Kingdom).

I do wonder how they're going to balance her out if Daisy is introduced into the fold, as in modern day Nintendo, she's basically filled in the role of the more tomboyish princess.

Despite being so standard I did like how efficient and effective it was - that feels like the Nintendo touch. Maybe it's a bit too streamlined narratively - Toad and Mario getting to know each other and starting their adventure took 30 seconds =P .
I thought about this actually and the Toads by nature are easygoing and trusting makes sense, hence why they were able to easily accept Peach as one of their own, but that also makes them very gullible and naive, as with the case of the "Princess is in another castle" guards where Toad is easily able to distract them. The guards inside are a little bit more organized though.

Last edited:
there is a foundation and an conclusion to the brother arcs but something is kind of missing in-between for Mario's arc (like when his big emotional moment happens after essentially giving up to Bowser (in the last 10 minutes!), the SMB plumbing commercial plays in front of him but it was kind of a bit difficult for me to understand exactly what about it that would recharge his confidence (I'm guessing his own message displayed by him and his brother and then seeing himself beat-up and giving up after the commercial ends? I suck at understanding silent storytelling from time to time heh). The movie does not quite hammer up that he's definitely accepted as a quality what people push him to see as a flaw by the end.
I always took it more that

Mario saw himself as the caregiver to Luigi, and that the commercial was basically the big investment they put into his commitment considering he spent their entire lifesaving on the ad itself (and banking on their new buisness to support them). The part of the ad where it kept skipping to "saving Brooklyn" was pretty much a way to recall the same motivation that made them go to the big Brooklyn water main break in the first place (mainly for fame and as a way to increase their buisness).

By the end of the movie, they're pretty much legit full-time plumbers (for Brooklyn) despite living in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Just saw it with the kid (9yo). He adored it. I had fun - it's a competent base for future material, but on it's own it's not very memorable.

Would also like to know what role Nintendo had in the development of the movie - there was a "Nintendo team" in the credits (I finally spotted my boi Mahito Yokota again there!). They even had a specific shoutout for Iwata, which was graceful.

Finally: we're totally getting a DK game soon aren't we? Of all the Nintendo stuff they could've highlighted they went for the Kongs =P .
I would definitely be sad if this interpretation of Peach doesn't have some effect on the games, cuz I'm a life long fan that never liked Peach much, but the version of her in this movie is very fun and human, while keeping the "caring and kind" vibe the game one has.

People clapped at the end of the movie, I’ve never seen that happen before.
The first screening I was at felt like it had more enthusiastic reactions during the movie, but didn’t clap, while the second screening seemed to be more muted but did have an applause at the end. Seeing it one more time tonight, so I’ll see how it compares.

I would definitely be sad if this interpretation of Peach doesn't have some effect on the games, cuz I'm a life long fan that never liked Peach much, but the version of her in this movie is very fun and human, while keeping the "caring and kind" vibe the game one has.
Yeah, Peach was really well written. Best character in the movie IMO. She's a complete badass despite being kindhearted and sweet. I was expecting a distant princess that would warm up to Mario over time, but she was friends with him from the jump.

I always took it more that

Mario saw himself as the caregiver to Luigi, and that the commercial was basically the big investment they put into his commitment considering he spent their entire lifesaving on the ad itself (and banking on their new buisness to support them). The part of the ad where it kept skipping to "saving Brooklyn" was pretty much a way to recall the same motivation that made them go to the big Brooklyn water main break in the first place (mainly for fame and as a way to increase their buisness).

By the end of the movie, they're pretty much legit full-time plumbers (for Brooklyn) despite living in the Mushroom Kingdom.
I mean the "save Brooklyn" part stand out to me on first viewing, it just feels like... it's no character evolution? It's more a goal they had from the beginning and achieved by the end, Mario's kind of like Captain America in this movie in that he has no real character arc but the world changes around him (he's kind of even stubborn and focused in a similar way, he abides by the "I can do this all day" motto)

Quoted by: SiG
Kinda wild that NOA twitter account haven't even bothered telling that the movie is out lol, not even retweet from MarioMovie Twitter. They know they don't have to mention it at all.

I mean the "save Brooklyn" part stand out to me on first viewing, it just feels like... it's no character evolution? It's more a goal they had from the beginning and achieved by the end, Mario's kind of like Captain America in this movie in that he has no real character arc but the world changes around him
Yeah, I could see the "save Brooklyn" portion as being seen a call to becoming a hero, as opposed to a call to become famous/save your own buisness.

Now that I think about it, I think I too have become rather cynical when I look at it in the latter context. "People doing good things because it's good" is so out of vogue, as they would say.

Peach is great in this film, yeah. I will say that she doesn't really exhibit any flaws here - which will be an issue in any sequels if it isn't addressed - but she's charming enough and has enough chemistry/rapport with Mario that it doesn't really matter.

There's nothing really obnoxious about her, and the compassion and sweetness from the games is still there.

She's also cool as fuck.

Uh, my theater is nearly sold out for the rest of the night. Only front row and a few spare seats available. I go pretty often and I've never, ever seen it this busy, or anything close. Even for the MCU. Holy shit.

For perspective, my theater has 20 houses and half of them are showing the Mario Movie.

Uh, my theater is nearly sold out for the rest of the night. Only front row and a few spare seats available. I go pretty often and I've never, ever seen it this busy, or anything close. Even for the MCU. Holy shit.

For perspective, my theater has 20 houses and half of them are showing the Mario Movie.
My IMAX showing only has the front two rows available, which.. if you've ever been to a "true" IMAX theater, they may as well not even be considered seats.

Sitting in the theater for the Mario movie and they're playing a commercial for... the Mario movie. 😅

Edit: now they're playing a commercial for BotW, Link's Awakening, and Skyward Sword. Technically my first time seeing Zelda in a movie theater. ❤️

I wonder if this will have any effect on Mario game sales. They have a promotion going on as well.

But will be interesting to see if a noticeable increase of sales

I had quite a few problems on first viewing. Most of them have been talked to death already, so no need to go into all that.

But on second viewing with my kids, that all just kinda washed away.

It is a really enjoyable watch and basically the perfect kids movie. Both my kids were engaged, chearing, and laughing throughout the entire movie. It was definitely infectious. Hours later and they still won't stop talking about it.

I think Nintendo and Illumination really nailed what mattered here, for both kids and fans, and that is the Mario magic. And ultimately that is all that really matters.

Back
Top Bottom