• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

And now we are learning that this movie is so big to the point where cinemas are short of showings per day. Unbelievable performance.

And likely not going to drop big in week 2. This is gonna have some meaty legs.

This isn't just like MCU ... this is like MCU + Disney's own family friendly stable on IP together ... the potential roof on Nintendo characters on film is sky high.

If they do this right, they are going to make billions of dollars. Billions.

If this is what a Mario movie can do with a relatively (lets be honest) barebones script ... like look the fuck out.

I also wonder because we know from that Sony leak circa 2014 that Sony/Columbia was trying very hard to get the movie rights to Super Mario ... I wonder if Nintendo turned down their offer in part because of spite (over Playstation).

If I'm a Universal studio exec I'm tap dancing down Citywalk in joy lol.

I also wonder because we know from that Sony leak circa 2014 that Sony/Columbia was trying very hard to get the movie rights to Super Mario ... I wonder if Nintendo turned down their offer in part because of spite (over Playstation) lol.
My understanding is that Nintendo and Sony (outside of SIE) have a fairly cordial relationship, with Nintendo using Sony Music for some projects, and them having put games on the Switch.

My understanding is that Nintendo and Sony (outside of SIE) have a fairly cordial relationship, with Nintendo using Sony Music for some projects, and them having put games on the Switch.

Yeah I just can totally see though Universal and Sony having similar offers and Nintendo going "welp, no Mario for you, Sony".

Also the bidding war for Zelda's movie rights is going to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge now. I think Nintendo will stick with Universal, but they're going to have to pay out the ass to get it done. Nintendo has all the leverage in the world now, every studio is going to be clamouring for anything Nintendo they can get and probably having to settle for other non-Nintendo video game IP.

A bunch of questions I keep thinking of.

#1) How long does Miyamoto wait for a sequel?

#2) What IS that sequel? Is it Super Mario Bros. 2? Or are we going to Donkey Kong to tie in with the theme park? Or is Luigi's Mansion going to happen?

#3) What does a SMB2 look like? Feels like it has to incorporate Wario, Waluigi and Daisy on some level. Yoshi is guaranteed. Would love to see Wario & Waluigi trying to run Super Mario Bros. Plumbing out of business.

#4) It's clear other Nintendo franchises are next, and Zelda is a matter of when, not if. The big decision is: do you go live action? Or do you animate it?

because I kinda think Nintendo is gunna push to animate everything. I don't think there will be a single live action Nintendo production.

Yea this is crazy. I really hope they keep a flow of project that is still relatively slow. Looking how Disney KILLED Star Wars and now Marvel descending to hell at a fast pace, they got to be careful. They probably are going to be since Nintendo always were and will forever be rigid into using their IPs. But i'm so glad that risk is paying off now. I think we will see a sequel or spin off to this movie announced this year and maybe another project, maybe for television.

I love that this gives them a new medium and might bring new ideas for the games as well. Zelda and Metroid would be insane on the big screen.

Yep, it has gotten to the point now where theatres need to take away screenings of other movies and give them to Mario because of how massive this is.
image.png

#2) What IS that sequel? Is it Super Mario Bros. 2? Or are we going to Donkey Kong to tie in with the theme park? Or is Luigi's Mansion going to happen?

#3) What does a SMB2 look like? Feels like it has to incorporate Wario, Waluigi and Daisy on some level. Yoshi is guaranteed. Would love to see Wario & Waluigi trying to run Super Mario Bros. Plumbing out of business.

'zelda'

because I kinda think Nintendo is gunna push to animate everything. I don't think there will be a single live action Nintendo production.
I think a Mario Bros 2 that just brings in other things like Yoshi while giving Luigi more screentime than he got would be the sane option to go ahead with. Like Bowser is THE iconic villain, so I don't see them moving away from him just yet after one movie, and even if they did want to move away from him the other most iconic Mario villains are his kids, and you gotta have Bowser if you'll use Koopalings. DK wouuld naturally show up again to keep people with him in mind before he gets his own film.

Quoted by: SiG

#4) It's clear other Nintendo franchises are next, and Zelda is a matter of when, not if. The big decision is: do you go live action? Or do you animate it?

I think a Mario Bros 2 that just brings in other things like Yoshi while giving Luigi more screentime than he got would be the sane option to go ahead with. Like Bowser is THE iconic villain, so I don't see them moving away from him just yet after one movie, and even if they did want to move away from him the other most iconic Mario villains are his kids, and you gotta have Bowser if you'll use Koopalings. DK wouuld naturally show up again to keep people with him in mind before he gets his own film.

I had a proposal for a sequel written and I'll just copy-pasta it here:

Brooklyn has changed since the events of the Koopa King's capture: Bowser's Castle is smack in the middle of New York and all TV broadcasts talk of Pauline figuring out a way to renovate the area. She plans on constructing some skyscrapers around the area as a result. Despite this, the Super Mario Bros. Plumbing buisness is booming and so are the other buisnesses around the area, incliding Foreman Spike who has just hired two new replacements, Wario and Waluigi.

Enter Daisy (in her jumpsuit a la Mario Kart), to who works part-time at Mona Pizza's, a rival to the Brother's own Punch-Out pizzeria. Daisy occassionally bumps into the Bros. while on-duty, but becomes intruiged when she notices how they seemingly disappear back into the sewers after hours. (Both Bros. now reside in the Mushroom Kingdom after all.) Meanwhile she also overhears rumblings of how the pipes seem to be "haunted" somehow. ("I hear there are turtles down there!" referencing Bowser's shrinking from the mini-mushroom...or a jab at TMNT, depending on who you ask.)

Mario and Luigi decide to give Mona Pizza's a try (with hints of Luigi being infatuated with Daisy), and dinner is disrupted by news of Mayor Pauline having been kidnapped by an ape at the top of one of the skyscrappers during a building unvieling. Mario recognizes Donkey Kong and heeds the call with his brother. Daisy follows in pursuit and watches among the crowd as they pretty much reenact the arcade game. (In the movie, it was called "Jump Man".) After the scaffolding falls and Donkey Kong gets knocked to his senses, he immediately asks Mario for his assistance: It turns out the Kongs have all been hypnotized, and Donkey Kong was one of them. The Bros. and DK make haste back to the sewers and Warp Pipes, but an curious Daisy follows them through...

I kind of imagine the setup to Daisy becoming the princess of SarasaraLand by means of her more streetsmart personality. I think there could also be nice interplay with Peach regarding the latter finding her origins, while the former shares experiences of striking it on her own since leaving her parents. Other ideas I had were Wario and Waluigi becoming more like "those two guys" who somehow end up discovering the Warp Pipe and thinking about getting rich (either by plundering or swindling the Kingdoms).

Last edited:
After more soundtrack investigation by @MondoMega, it seems like No Sleep till Brooklyn was the only licensed song that was considered when scoring the rest of the movie as there is no original score for that part of the movie. But for Battle Without Honor Or Humanity, Holding Out for a Hero, Take on Me, Thunderstruck, and Mr. Blue Sky, they actually replaced an existing score for their scenes (rendering those original scores unused but you can still listen to them in the official soundtrack), implying they were added after the movie was already scored.

Expanding on this subject further, since i've dug into it a little further (and also want to share the original composed score for these needle drop moments as well):

• Battle Without Honor Or Humanity - Original score for this scene was composed and cut; part of track 'King of the Koopas' (1:55-2:09). Portions of the track before (Koopa army arriving) and afterwards (Kamek and Bowser defeating the Penguin army) play in the film as intended.
  • No Sleep Till Brooklyn - There is seemingly no unused original score for this scene in the soundtrack. From this we can assume in all likelihood it was already part of the film during scoring; predating all other licenced track usage.
  • L'amour est un oiseau rebelle - Some original score for this scene was cut; part of track 'It's a Dog Eat Plumber World' (0:49-1:15). This portion of the score doesn't entirely fit the length of the scene however, so it appears this (public domain) track was already part of the film in some form.
  • Holding Out For A Hero - Original score for this scene was composed and cut; part of the track 'World 1-1' (0:36-1:50). Portions of the track before (Mario's first attempt and failure) and afterwards (Mario & Peach chatting after the final attempt) play in the film as intended.
  • Take On Me - Original score for this scene was composed and cut; track 'Drivin' Me Bananas' (all of it) is entirely unused in the final cut. Final scene, like all of the others, is still edited as if this score is playing over it instead (example: intense drop in the score as the kart makes the big jump and falls off screen, then triumphant fanfare as the glider activates and it flies back into view).
  • Thunderstruck - Original score for this scene was composed and cut; part of track 'Karts!' (0:43-1:29). Portions of the track before (introduction to the kart mechanics) and afterwards (Peach's pep talk and driving off) play in the film as intended.
  • Mr. Blue Sky - Original score for this scene was composed and cut; part of track 'Bonus Level' (0:23-0:48). This one is curious, as the post-credit scene theme plays first in this track; likely just a weird quirk of the composition though. A small portion of the track remains in the final cut, after the brothers jump into the warp pipe and the logo appears.
I'm sure there's plenty more to gleam from the soundtrack as well but this is what I was mainly interested in uncovering. There's seemingly a few cases of scenes being swapped around in order during editing (the score for Luigi's flashback scene plays after Mario, Peach and Toad's travel montage in the soundtrack). I think it's apparent enough from everything we know that somewhere out there is a longer cut of the movie with little to no licenced music needle drops; and that most of the additional needle drops (everything outside of the two used in early Brooklyn scenes; was possibly an intentional choice to only use these songs in the "real world"?) were added very late into the editing process, after the film was already fully scored.

I had a proposal for a sequel written and I'll just copy-pasta it here:
Not a bad idea! I really like Wario and Waluigi being fill-ins for Mario and Luigi in Spike's company, and the opportunity to give us a rightful proper Arcade Donkey Kong-reference action scene.

@WestEgg OP, you forgot to explain the meaning behind the subtitle of your thread...

A multi-part explanation behind it...

The sequel will probably take place in large part on Yoshi's Island and I think we will learn more about Peach's past (Rosalina is her sister is my guess and they are from a different galaxy, which will set up a 3rd Mario which is partly in outer space ala Super Mario Galaxy).

I really liked it. I was smiling through the whole thing. Honestly my biggest criticism are that the first third need 10-20 minutes added on and so does the overall movie and that the license songs didn’t add anything.

I really liked it. I was smiling through the whole thing. Honestly my biggest criticism are that the first third need 10-20 minutes added on and so does the overall movie and that the license songs didn’t add anything.
...They can keep Mr. Blue Sky in as it was the a pretty good way to cap the movie without being too on the nose. But I agree, they should've let more of Brian Tyler's soundtrack shine through.

Hopefully in the blu ray edition they add the Nintendo songs back as well as more scenes (such as the cheep cheep part which was weidly half cut.)

Last edited:
Gonna quote myself from Install Base

When I think about it, Capcom's IPs have been screwed over and over. As if they didn't care who were in charge of them and made whatever.
The new street fighter by legendary is going to follow the same pattern, whereas people would expect a Street fighter Victory adaptation, they will get something similar to the US lame cartoon.

Apologies for the double posting.

The sequel will probably take place in large part on Yoshi's Island and I think we will learn more about Peach's past (Rosalina is her sister is my guess and they are from a different galaxy, which will set up a 3rd Mario which is partly in outer space ala Super Mario Galaxy).

Oh, maybe this time they make Yoshi's Island about Baby Peach as part of her backstory? Baby Peach instead of Baby Mario was with the Yoshis and that was also when she meets Baby Bowser the first time? Just that the Yoshi's delivered here to the wrong place and she ended up in the Mushroom kingdom.

On the other hand I could see a Yoshi movie also introduce Bowser Jr as replacement for Baby Bowser in the original Yoshi games. I could see Bowser Jr as Antagonist and Bowser, after he escapes, adopting him or something like that, if he isn't already his child.

Kinda was expecting this thread to be more active to be honest, the pre-release cycle on Fami was pretty big. I don't think it's the issue this is in The Roost, imagine a scenario you want to talk about the movie, you don't see thread in Treehouse so naturally you are going to The Roost.

Kinda was expecting this thread to be more active to be honest, the pre-release cycle on Fami was pretty big. I don't think it's the issue this is in The Roost, imagine a scenario you want to talk about the movie, you don't see thread in Treehouse so naturally you are going to The Roost.
I think the issue is that there are basically 3 active threads on the matter.

Are they? The impressions/review thread I don't see much active at this point at all.
Hmm I meant more the past few days and that people maybe were confused where to write. Or maybe everyone is just too embarrassed to write among so many sad Mario faces.

Last edited:
This was such a shameless fan service for the entire 92 minutes.
Like it wasn't trying to even hide it at any point in the movie. Just reference, easter egg, action, game scene, fan service, reference, game scene etc.
For the entirety of the movie.
Loved it. 10/10 for a Mario movie. There is ZERO need for philosophical pondering, deep character growth or other cinema things. This is what it needed to be.
And that f***ing Luma... holy shit.
edit: Also I am one of those people who very rarely even notices great score or soundtrack. This was like a goddamn Mega Mushroom in both retro pop/rock pieces and the AMAZING adaptations of the game tracks.

Like it wasn't trying to even hide it at any point in the movie. Just reference, easter egg, action, game scene, fan service, reference, game scene etc.
Loved it. 10/10 for a Mario movie. There is ZERO need for philosophical pondering, deep character growth or other cinema things. This is what it needed to be.
edit: Also I am one of those people who very rarely even notices great score or soundtrack. This was like a goddamn Mega Mushroom in both retro pop/rock pieces and the AMAZING adaptations of the game tracks.
I mean those are cool but considering the high quality often associated with the mainline Mario franchise, Mario deserves a bit of those things in the film medium. This is a faithful Mario movie but it's not a very good movie on its own. You'd want Mario to get there too.

I mean those are cool but considering the high quality often associated with the mainline Mario franchise, Mario deserves a bit of those things in the film medium. This is a faithful Mario movie but it's not a very good movie on its own. You'd want Mario to get there too.
You know how some video games focus on narrative/character but others focus mainly on just gameplay? The Mario movie feels like the later, except in movie form. Personally, I think it’s a perfectly valid approach and doesn’t make it an objectionably bad movie or anything - just different. This movie is just pure fun imo, which is sorta Nintendo’s primary design ethos when you think about it.

Also yeah, I think a big reason why this thread isn’t super active is that it’s not visible in the Treehouse.

You know how some video games focus on narrative/character but others focus mainly on just gameplay? The Mario movie feels like the later, except in movie form. Personally, I think it’s a perfectly valid approach and doesn’t make it an objectionably bad movie or anything - just different. This movie is just pure fun imo, which is sorta Nintendo’s primary design ethos when you think about it.

Also yeah, I think a big reason why this thread isn’t super active is that it’s not visible in the Treehouse.
yeah but the problem is this movie attempts to have an emotional core but it's undercooked.

yeah but the problem is this movie attempts to have an emotional core but it's undercooked.
Do you mean the “Luigi grow courage” or “Mario gains acceptance from family” moments? To me, these are the equivalent of something like Bowser/Bowser Jr.s relationship in Sunshine - not really important to the game itself, just some added flavor.

I do think there are a few nice emotional moments throughout the movie, for instance Mario and Peach do open up to one another well enough that I do get a genuine sense of budding friendship between the two, similarly the Mario Brothers both care and rely on one another, and Luigi saving Mario with the manhole cover and saying “Nothing can hurt us when we’re together” was genuinely heartwarming to me.

On a more meta note, in the ending where Mario’s Dad, voiced by Charles Martinet, proudly proclaims “These are my boys!” referring to Mario and Luigi, it really did feel like Martinet was channeling his love and pride of the characters.

It's definitely a kids movie, but there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Not every movie needs to have a heavy emotional message. And I'm saying this despite my top three movies being Your Name, Puss in Boots 2, and Into The Spider-Verse. Some movies can just be fun.

As both a Mario and movie enjoyer, I think it's worth noting that a lot of the criticisms about the script aren't because it's not aiming high. There are a lot of really well loved movies by all kinds of people which aren't focused on dialogue and script writing. It's really just that the way they've chosen to tell a story is still fairly underserved by the writing they've gone with, especially when you look at how the attempts at character driven arcs fall flat or how the entire pacing of the plot kind of kills any stakes or sense of progression. There's probably also a lot of fingers to be pointed at editing and directorial decisions on the front of pacing and poor scene choices too.

If you want to engage with any of the criticisms, should probably start by being level with the type of story and medium that is being worked with. You can even do that while unashamedly enjoying the movie for embracing your fandom. If you'd rather just be happy and go Yipeee Wahoo Man while ignoring my dumb ass that works too.

I don't think progression is something I can fault the movie for, personally. I could knock the film for maybe not pumping the breaks more than it could have in some pivotal moments to allow for more organic moments like the Brooklyn scenes, but the sequence of events that lead to the climax all feel pretty straightforward and nothing stuck out as particularly misplaced. Compartmentalizing this film into all its moments is extremely easy.

mario games are fun because of well-considered, elegant design choices. judging by this thread, this movie is fun because of a bunch of references to stuff mario fans already like, packaged together in a deeply generic, unremarkable corporate product

not every movie needs an emotional core, but you gotta give people shit to latch on to other than cynical corporate synergy

"It's bad because it's corporate slop made by cynical hollywood moguls" strikes me as being highly melodramatic. Have you considered it's bad because it was bad? The vast majority of media that comes out within a year is weak, and I highly doubt the vast majority of the people working on those doesn't care about their product, as much as "making something truly great is hard and they didn't manage to do it" because, well, it is.

The last act felt like a high-budget Super Mario Bros Z episode and I'm 100% saying this as a compliment.

I'm satisfied, will buy on blue ray.

For me I'm just trying to avoid spoilers. And it's tough in this thread, so I'm mostly not engaging. 😅

I’d argue the conditions of modern blockbuster filmmaking leads to a lot of movies that are mediocre in a similar ways; exercises in brand-building first, filmmaking second. stuff like this doesn’t exist in a vacuum

$55 million domestic friday (biggest ever for a non-opening day) and on track to be the biggest opening for an animated movie ever, beating frozen 2!

"It's bad because it's corporate slop made by cynical hollywood moguls" strikes me as being highly melodramatic. Have you considered it's bad because it was bad? The vast majority of media that comes out within a year is weak, and I highly doubt the vast majority of the people working on those doesn't care about their product, as much as "making something truly great is hard and they didn't manage to do it" because, well, it is.
I agree wholeheartedly, and I think the bar has been so disproportionally lowered that criticizing something for being a pandering nostalgia cash grab has almost become lazy criticism in and of itself. Like if you want an example of a movie that fits the pitch perfect definition of this, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 should be held up as perhaps the golden nadir; a film that can't decide what plot it wants to be about every 15 minutes with inconsistent characters, all for the purpose of showcasing a literal room with every Spider-Man villain origins transparently laid out in factory assembly, serving no purpose to anything other than waiting to be inserted into the next film or spinoff. Next to that film Mario might as well be an Oscar nominee, although if Ralph Breaks the Internet is of any indication it doesn't take much to sell nostalgic vanity to a critical crowd.

In any case while I would agree with the sentiment that Mario works way better as a fan I can't ever look at the work of the film and say that the people involved didn't see this IP as an opportunity to have fun with the material and embrace its usage in very inventive ways. Seeing a field of Fire Flowers is gorgeous but it's mostly just texture, I'm not receptive to it "just" because it's there. What I am receptive of is how the film used their presence as a way to construct actual fun visual gags, such as Mario finding a fire flower in a powerup box but DK countering it simply by blowing it out, or how the Rocketbarrel sequence was a genuinely clever Chekhov's gun I never saw coming because DK previously used jet engines for his Kart.

In terms of presentation I never felt like this movie was anything but a labor of love, and I think this is one of the advantages you have when working with franchises, established IP, or adaptations, because the familiarity breeds a sense of awareness of how much the filmmakers got to express themselves with the adaptation. Going back to Spider-Man again, a lot of the live action films are all of varying quality but much of it (generally post-SM3) is definitely assembly line after a fashion. Spider-Verse is one of those exceptions where I can tell the people behind it actually felt strongly for the material, and I think that strength can help elevate the experience.

I like the amazing spider-man 2 cause of that scene where the web looks like a hand and the part where the electric eels fix jaime fox’s tooth gap

I’d argue the conditions of modern blockbuster filmmaking leads to a lot of movies that are mediocre in a similar ways; exercises in brand-building first, filmmaking second. stuff like this doesn’t exist in a vacuum
I agree nothing happens in a vaccuum, but on that same note of contextualizing what we see, I've followed the work of the directors of this film for a long time and nothing here felt like something they wouldn't do/something tainted by external sources though. My instant reaction walking out of the theater was specifically that it felt like an episode of Batman Brave and the Bold except with Mario lore instead of DC lore as it's basis, I'd wager the guess that the movie ended up borked due to them being first-time-movie-directors with zero experience on this medium (something they've said themselves in an interview where they talk about how challenging it was to take this role for the film) before I'd bet on a form of Corporate Cynicism Conundrum.
$55 million domestic friday (biggest ever for a non-opening day) and on track to be the biggest opening for an animated movie ever, beating frozen 2!
This is starting to get shocking, but then again, maybe not shocking at all. I saw family and friends that don't even play games talking about wanting to see it more than a month before release. Curious to see Week 2 numbers.

Yeah, this a celebration indeed. There’s a clear passion for the franchise that comes through. I’m a very happy Mario-loving boy. I’m also convinced that 15 or so more minutes would’ve easily done this movie wonders, as the frantic pacing is the only thing that really bothered me (besides the licensed tracks). The ingredients were kinda already there, it just needed to SLOW DOWN a bit lol.

Otherwise, I enjoyed this. I really, really did. It also did my heart so good to see such a massive (and excited) crowd come out for this at my theater. People young and old wearing Mario or adjacent video game series attire. Saw a kid with a makeshift Mario costume on: red Cappy hat with a green shirt and overalls. Most precious thing in the world. 😭

Back
Top Bottom