• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just talk about how GORGEOUS this movie looks?! Like I can't believe this is from Illumination!
Their movies have always LOOKED good.

Honestly the reason people rag on them is the Minions, that's really it. Despicable Me (the first one) and Sing were both great movies.

So I guess Donkey Kong Country is one of the "kingdoms' of the wider world, with Cranky serving as its sovereign.

Loving the look of this tbh. Didn't expect Peach to be part of the main quest, but I love it. I also don't mind Mario being a little out of his depth - this is his first rodeo after all. Plus it's not as if he doesn't show fright in the mainline games.

It’s so forced as well.

Even if you discard absolutely every other consideration that you could have, the voice for mario is still supremely weirdly low energy and not putting in the quality.of work everyone else is to convey the character. Luigi, Bowser and Peach are all running circles around him, whether that's down to him or the voice direction being poor or him is up in the air, but Mario is practically the poster boy for high energy enthusiastic happy guy who for the past two decades has practically oozed those from his silly sounds provided by Charles Martinet.

He wasn't cast for his voice acting talent, he was cast because he's the face of a few roughly high grossing movies and it becomes more painfully obvious with each new trailer.

That was great. I'm completely sold on this movie.

The Mario Kart scene came unexpected to me, but I'm all for it.

Their movies have always LOOKED good.

Honestly the reason people rag on them is the Minions, that's really it. Despicable Me (the first one) and Sing were both great movies.
Honestly, the animation in this movie puts modern Disney and Pixar to shame. Like, compare this to Disney's Strange World.

Now, illumination has made some good movies. But their animation has never been this good looking. This is honestly, the best looking animated film since into the spider verse.

Hopefully people can stop complaining about Mario's voice now that he sounds perfectly fine.
The Pratt complaints are pretty overblown. He sounds fine. I don't see how it's any worse than other celebrity voice actors.
The real problem with Pratt being cast as Mario isn’t the voice (though, clearly people still aren’t liking that, myself included—just look at the replies in this thread), but rather the fact that Pratt is a shitty person who shouldn’t have been given the role in the first place. Unfortunately, that detail is being overlooked by most, with most of the discourse only being about the voice instead of the issues with the actor himself.

Like...friends...I'm the Mario guy. I adore this franchise. The games, the characters, the world.

How am I, like, the least excited person here???
Can't say I disagree. The first trailer had a good mood but this movie kinda threw all that down the drain for me, exact same humor and styling of other Illumination films just in a Mario context and with 3/5 of a voice cast that sounds flat out bored. This does atleast confirm the previous leaked script was pure BS though since nothing here matches the "leak".

My hot take: people are waaay too hung up on the voice actors. Who cares if Chris Prat or Anya whatever is voicing the characters. They are good voice actors yes, but in the end, any good voice actors would suffice. Just watch the movie and ignore who’s voicing who ffs.

My hot take: people are waaay too hung up on the voice actors. Who cares if Chris Prat or Anya whatever is voicing the characters. They are good voice actors yes, but in the end, any good voice actors would suffice. Just watch the movie and ignore who’s voicing who ffs.
I think the opinion that they aren't good voice actors is the point of contention

Great second sneak peak. I wish they would give us a bit more from the potential movie score instead of that piano playing the Super Mario Theme with strong reverb, but otherwise I'm excited!

Yep, that sure is an Illumination made Mario movie

Yeah that's all I really have. It seems like it'll be a fun ride with a whole bunch of cool references for fans, but not expecting anything special

1669761186667.png

Seth does his laugh

SO MUCH INFORMATION!!

MARIO KART, YOSHIS, FIRE FLOWERS, TANOOKI MARIO, DK ISLAND AND YOSHI'S ISLAND JUST NEARBY!!
CRANKY IS SOME KIND OF KING?! LUIGI SOUNDS SO FINE!

FUCK CHRIS PRATT ONCE MORE! THE BRAZILIAN DUB SOUNDS SO GOOD!

Guess the Kongs are going to have a pretty sizeable role after all. Even Funky's here!

I think I'm more excited for this than I thought I'd be.

K, that was a visual joy.

It's really like "what if we took the Super Show, modernized it and had the full support of Nintendo for the sale of world crafting". And Peach with that scepter is EVERYTHING.

Also, I dig that LUIGI may be the damsel, this time, around.

Anya does sound a little generic as Peach, but she also sounds like she's putting an appropriate amount of effort into lines. I'm totally fine with it - I think it'd be difficult to find something similar to her game voice without it being grating.

Recasting video game characters is difficult.

Nothing. Except people are going on about how he’s a terrible voice for Mario. He sounds fine

You can't just invalidate someone's opinion by saying they're being disingenuous with no evidence

It's perfectly valid to think that Chris Pratt sounds totally lame and low-energy in the trailer. I'd be hard pressed to find anybody who thinks he's as good as some are saying he's bad. The best I hear is that he's "fine" and does the job.

The real problem with Pratt being cast as Mario isn’t the voice (though, clearly people still aren’t liking that, myself included—just look at the replies in this thread), but rather the fact that Pratt is a shitty person who shouldn’t have been given the role in the first place. Unfortunately, that detail is being overlooked by most, with most of the discourse only being about the voice instead of the issues with the actor himself.
I understand that, although other than his church I don't know what else he has done? And like you said, most of the complaints are centered around his performance.

SO MUCH INFORMATION!!

MARIO KART, YOSHIS, FIRE FLOWERS, TANOOKI MARIO, DK ISLAND AND YOSHI'S ISLAND JUST NEARBY!!
CRANKY IS SOME KIND OF KING?! LUIGI SOUNDS SO FINE!

FUCK CHRIS PRATT ONCE MORE! THE BRAZILIAN DUB SOUNDS SO GOOD!
France 🤝 Brazil

Knowing how to perform a proper Wahoo.

I think the opinion that they aren't good voice actors is the point of contention

Weebs hate everything in English

In other news, water is wet
Anya's VA is very generic 'American young female'. I think some of the casting is driven by the looks and name of the VA not the work.
This is how they do in animation when they hire a big name for roles. I don't think it's a plus or negative, but understand why some fans want a Martinet sounding Mario. I'm fine with Chris Pratt.

it's kind of fucked up that pratt sounded more marioy as the lovable oaf in parks and recreation

maybe being overweight is essential to channeling mario's cherubic exuberance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom