• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely will be. Blockbuster films usually go with three trailers.

Teaser sayng "Hey, this is coming out eventually. Get excited" -> General overview trailer with plot details -> Let's just spoil every damn scene for you
don't forget the "Critics are RAVING" commercials after release

I may be alone here, but I'd actually welcome anything that actually gives Peach more in the way of actual personality and sets up for an active role as "one of the gang", again. Even (or perhaps especially) if it means fishing the likes of her Super Mario Adventures characterization from the depths of the early 90s.
I want her more pro-active too, but I want it to be something more akin to SMB2, Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 1 where she is active and gets into the adventure but while keeping a foot on the character's more "pink and proud" depiction of the main games. In general I'm hoping for a movie that give us a deeper look into those game characters in a way that makes them more talkative and three dimensional but also wanting it to "feel like their game selves, if youre standing from a distance", so I wouldn't find it as fun if they twist Peach into something that goes too far and feels like a different character wearing her design.

Something worth of pointing out.. is that, while Nintendo is there with a real firm pulse on this movie and the marketing so far seems to be targeting us, people that are actively still consuming Mario games since the 80's and have seen the series evolve and have certain expectations when comes to these characters and worlds...

once the marketing really kicks in and Universal takes whole control, they'll push for mass appeal, and have a tint of all the tropes we were originally worried about... your pop songs, your fart jokes, the dance-off scenes and so on... and I think Peach being a "badass Princess" is still much on the line of Holywood marketability for children movie.

So keep that in mind, and don't be too upset when that comes up. The bigger scope here, is that despite everything, they're still doing their best to keep fans pleased.

this is the same company that gave us the year of luigi

"you just got luigi'd" is not off brand lol

The marketing is interesting. Like in their contract, nintendo probably had a clause that they get to reveal any new marketing materials via a nintendo direct, which is strange for a movie. But it makes sense when you consider wants as much control as possible over their ip’s.

I think it was actually a really smart move for Nintendo, marketing-wise. It's already a bit risky to take the IP in this direction, so they might as well control the communication about it as much as possible, while also cross-promotionally exposing a wider audience to the Nintendo Direct format. At the end of the day, projects like this exist to increase Nintendo's market share in multiple industries.

you know what? This is not a coincidence; They could had swapped the tools between the characters, or have completely different tools for plumbing;

Between this, the metallic logo and the Super Show references in the promotional material, I'm already really liking whoever is in charge of these little things

Last edited:

you know what? This is not a coincidence; They could had swapped the tools between the characters, or have completely different tools for plumbing;

Between this, the metallic logo and the Super Show references in the promotional material, I'm already really liking whoever is in charge of these little things

deep lore

I dunno, Peach looks pretty....Peachy in the images that have been shown. I think I'd be more worried if she was wearing a smarmy smirk.

She isn't gonna be a straight damsel in distress - that barely flies these days in the games, let alone in a major animated picture. Her being labelled as protector of the Toads actually gives me hope she might be pulled off well.

Taking the L will get a whole new meaning after this day and I will be there to witness it, Let's a go!

unknown.png

final prediction

miyamoto will be wearing another cool shirt

i seriously doubt they would call this a Direct when they would only show 90 second trailer. there's gotta be more talk around it.

Last edited:
So, trailer 1 featured mainly Bowser and Mario, and had the voice actors for them talking before the trailer.
This one seems to have two other characters featured, based on them being in these poster leaks.
So, do we think the trailer will focus on those two, and then new trailer for more characters later?
Or maybe this'll be a more 'proper' trailer

So, trailer 1 featured mainly Bowser and Mario, and had the voice actors for them talking before the trailer.
This one seems to have two other characters featured, based on them being in these poster leaks.
So, do we think the trailer will focus on those two, and then new trailer for more characters later?
Or maybe this'll be a more 'proper' trailer
i quess it's possible that Charlie Day will be talking before the trailer, as well the Anna Taylor Joy. It would make sense.

i quess it's possible that Charlie Day will be talking before the trailer, as well the Anna Taylor Joy. It would make sense.
Yeah, just figured maybe that is their plan for now. Focus the marketing and promotion in a few of the actors at a time, with their own spotlight in the trailers.
Would be a Nintendo-like thing to do.
Tho I imagine we'll simply get a 'normal' trailer here XD

With all the super show references, I legitimately hope they do the Mario.

It would make sense, and it would be way better than whatever the hell Pratt did last time.

If we could just have Charlie, Jack, and Anya do the promotion from here on out it would be so great.

This time Chris Pratt will tell us about all the time he used to stomp....................................................................................................................................................................GOOMBAS!

It would make sense, and it would be way better than whatever the hell Pratt did last time.

If we could just have Charlie, Jack, and Anya do the promotion from here on out it would be so great
I still cannot believe that the Chris part was greenlit last time, what the hell was that, there was even a cut in there.

Did anyone see the footage of Jack on stage from the.. where was the trailer premiered, NYCC or something? He was a fuckin force. That dude would sell the hell outta this movie. Meanwhile Pratt would embarrass himself going on the Tonight Show where the damn host would know more about his character than he himself does.

Anyway my biggest fear for this new trailer is that when the french is up, the perfect cast from the first trailer is replaced by some shitty star-casting.

Pierre Tessier's Mario is perfection, in the name of everything that is good in this world do not change this.

Wow, they got a professional actress to play Peach! That's some serious commitment.

Mario sounds a bit better, but I really don't like his "AHHH EVERYTHING IS GONNA KILL ME" kinda attitude, that doesn't exactly suit Mario. Everyone else sounds fantastic.

I legit said "fuck you" out loud when I heard the "Whahoo". Damn I'm really cranky about Pratt's performance.

The rest is pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom