• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie impressions/previews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

if only Illumination used the money on the actual movie instead of hiring athletes, this movie wouldn't be regressively archaic

Definitely looks like a good action movie at the very least. That Tintin comparison...

Loving that everyone is praising the musical score, gonna have to live off that until I pick up the Blu-ray in June.

I'm not gonna lie, collecting those numerous previews... What I can see is that we basically have:
-the most faithful video game film adaptation ever...
-one of the most beautiful animated movies ever made...
-one of the greatest action movies ever made in the animation medium...
But you also seemingly have the most plot-thin animated movie ever made... (which somehow, has more character beats for the brothers than the average Illumination film has for their protagonists) (and most critics that aren't Mario fans do not seem to find the movie very enjoyable)
It would be pretty darn amazing the movie somehow ends up at least in the late 60s on RT with that baggage...

Last edited:
The reactions from fans are very reassuring to me, but I won't be seeing this until it's available for streaming or on DVD.

When do we get actual reviews? Twitter reviews are always like this (everyone either loves it or hates it, nowhere in between). I want actual reviews

(I'm still burned from the time the Lion King remake was described on Twitter as even better than the original lol)
Tomorrow

Dude the movie kinda sounds like ass lol, good for action and nostalgia but nothing else. Disappointing
Well, you get to introduce audiences to the beautiful worlds of the videogames. That's something a good chunk of negative/mixed critics tend to agree on. It feels kinda Avatar-esque in a way. Thin story but presentation and atmosphere carry it.

My impression of these reactions is that movie is visually and audibly stunning in a way that brings the Mario world to life like never before but has a plot that can be summarized in a few sentences. Honestly that just sounds like Mario as franchise summed up to me 😅. Can’t wait to see it!

My impression of these reactions is that movie is visually and audibly stunning in a way that brings the Mario world to life like never before but has a plot that can be summarized in a few sentences. Honestly that just sounds like Mario as franchise summed up to me 😅. Can’t wait to see it!
Yeah “amazing depiction of Mario’s world and mechanics translated to film, but with a paper thin story”… you could convince me Miyamoto directed the damn thing if that’s what we’re getting lol

So yeah, I'm expecting < 70 at this point, but that's okay. I ain't really pressed about that number lol. Still going in this week, expecting it to tickle my Mario-loving heart (cause I'm weak), even if it's basic in doing so this time.

Sounds like it's purely tapping into that sense of childlike joy the games give off. I expected and can live with the simple plot (faithful indeed), I just hope that next time they tap a little more into that emotion brought from say, Mario Galaxy or Paper Mario, while still keeping the joy of course.

So yeah, I'm expecting < 70 at this point, but that's okay. I ain't really pressed about that number lol. Still going in this week, expecting it to tickle my Mario-loving heart (cause I'm weak), even if it's basic in doing so this time.

Sounds like it's purely tapping into that sense of childlike joy the games give off. I expected and can live with the simple plot (faithful indeed), I just hope that next time they tap a little more into that emotion brought from say, Mario Galaxy or Paper Mario, while still keeping the joy of course.
I guess the Tomatometer will depend on the part of critics that review this that are, you know, Mario fans. I'm just hoping for at least a very basic arc that's well executed (with some emotional moments)

The jokes are not funny complaints are expected at this point from an Illumination film.

It's baffling how much effort (and money) is put into animation and rendering techniques in comparison to how much effort it takes to write a simple good joke. In fact, knowing you are going to have a thin plot because it probably was decided so from the get go, at least write some good jokes to have the audience invested in something scrip-related.

RT critic

Help. Considering D&D is a huge mega bomb at the box office. I don’t know how that applies. How is it more accessible?
redfacesu.gif

I still believe in the >70 dream.

The jokes are not funny complaints are expected at this point from an Illumination film.

It's baffling how much effort (and money) is put into animation and rendering techniques in comparison to how much effort it takes to write a simple good joke.
Illumination movies are cheap to make tho. The GA don’t really have a problem with their jokes, hence the high gross of their movies.

Yeah “amazing depiction of Mario’s world and mechanics translated to film, but with a paper thin story”… you could convince me Miyamoto directed the damn thing if that’s what we’re getting lol
I guess what we're getting next is gonna depend on if one of two things pan out:
-the directors see the pretty unanimous feedback and push for a more complex/interesting story
-Koizumi becomes the producer watching over Illumination while Miyamoto tries to get Zelda right.

I guess the Tomatometer will depend on the part of critics that review this that are, you know, Mario fans. I'm just hoping for at least a very basic arc that's well executed (with some emotional moments)

Don't get me wrong, it'd be super cool to see it break that barrier, but I'm reading more and more impressions that seem mixed to slightly negative with a few that are glowing. We'll see, though.

Again, it's whatever, ultimately. I just hope to enjoy this, and hope they improve where necessary later on.

It's going to be super tight I think.

It doesn't look like any of the more mixed impressions are suggesting it's anything worse than "Meh." - that might help the average in the long run.

But yeah, I think a 70+ score will be by the skin of its teeth.

This will be one of those movies that will be getting mainly 2-3 stars on letterboxd. But sitill with a heart, so that reviewers can make it clear that they have good taste and are knowledgable despite liking this movie.

My final predictions:
66% critics rating rotten tomatoes
93% users rating rotten tomatoes
42 metascore (although no one cares about mc score when it comes to movies)
7.2/10 imdb score
1.1 billion dollars worldwide
Wario and Waluigi team up with Bowser for the sequel

the sequel is even nore successful and Waluigi is the breakout character. That makes Nintendo and Illumination to make a standalone Waluigi movie that eventually becomes the highest grossing movie of all time. Seeing all that Nintendo confronts Sakurai about Waluigi being playable in Smash. Sakurai realises his mistake, but it's too late to add him in Ultimate. Sakurai comes out of retirement and makes a brand new Smash. Waluigi is playable....

Not gonna lie, i'm kinda surprised that quite a lot of critics appear to be able to review the movie as it is instead of going in expecting Oscar-bait-level cinema.

instead of going in expecting Oscar-bait-level cinema.

Well in short, not judging the movie as something it isn't nor trying to be.
Don't expect a top-notch cinematography and screenplay, don't expect deep, emotional and philosophic dialogues and interaction between the characters and all.

Go in, expect a (maybe too?) short family movie, judge it on humor, on how faithful it is to it's source material.

After all, it's a movie based on a game series where most stories are basically "Big evil turtle kidnapped princess and/or someone else, let's rescue them". ^^

Just remember, don't think about what the proper film critics have to say so much so that it damages your hype/anticipation for the movie if you are planning to watch it anyway. Form your own opinion and hope you enjoy it yourself.

Just remember, don't think about what the proper film critics have to say so much so that it damages your hype/anticipation for the movie if you are planning to watch it anyway. Form your own opinion and hope you enjoy it yourself.
Well, tomorrow morning, so that'll be very soon, but I'm hosting the review thread in 10 hours, so I'll see the Tomatoscore and everything, it will be interesting to see how it's going to compare to the rest of Illumination's stuff critically. Just hoping the most basic stuff (proper arcs, proper emotional beats) is well-executed because the Mario part sure seems like it's there.

Well in short, not judging the movie as something it isn't nor trying to be.
Don't expect a top-notch cinematography and screenplay, don't expect deep, emotional and philosophic dialogues and interaction between the characters and all.

Go in, expect a (maybe too?) short family movie, judge it on humor, on how faithful it is to it's source material.

After all, it's a movie based on a game series where most stories are basically "Big evil turtle kidnapped princess and/or someone else, let's rescue them". ^^

I can understand not expecting deep characters in a Mario film. But why shouldn't a Mario FILM have good cinematography and good writing? Ideally, any movie should! Surely you're not saying that instead of judging a movie on having interesting shots and good writing, we should judge it only on jokes and how close it is to the games? Just because it's Mario?

I can understand not expecting deep characters in a Mario film. But why shouldn't a Mario FILM have good cinematography and good writing? Ideally, any movie should! Surely you're not saying that instead of judging a movie on having interesting shots and good writing, we should judge it only on jokes and how close it is to the games? Just because it's Mario?

There's a difference between "good" writing, as in "woah the writing, dialogues and story blew me away, award worthy!" and "good" writing, as in "It doesn't re-invent the wheel, but it's servicable and i enjoyed it". ;D

And, personally, yeah the fam and i aren't going to see this tomorrow for the story. My youngest could tell by the first trailer how it's going to play out, though that doesn't mean it's bad. For the kind of movie this aims to be, that's good enough.

I would absolutely expect good cinematography. The trailers so far have if nothing else looked visually stunning, and Mario has long been a fairly spectacle driven series in many ways. It's the one thing I would expect from this film regardless of who the target audience is, even kids can appreciate things that look cool.

Writing is something I would hope is good too, albeit the standards of that part can really vary more overtly. As long as the characters are well executed with a sense of earnestness to them, that's the most I can ask for.

Seems quite a bit of people didn't like the licensed stuff. Hope they throw that away next entry.

When it makes more money than your favorite movie I will laugh at you for doubting Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom