• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie impressions/previews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Paper Mario is where Nintendo had enough. TTYD was perfectly fine to them. And given Nintendo always strives to make Mario better just like they do in the games, they will make sure the movies get better/put new spins on Mario. I wouldn't keep it off the table to see some of the RPG stuff leak out to the movies later on. They already are pulling some pretty obscure characters for this movie.

TTYD absolutely was not 'perfectly fine' to them. You can see practically all the hallmarks of the changes happening with them being much more restrictive on how the Mario IP can be shown in spm.

It's why the enemies are practically all either plain mario style or original with only a small handful that were grandfathered in from previous paper mario games, actual mario characters as partners are gone, and that's also the case for using them as NPC's. Nintendo probably hemmed and hawed about them even being allowed to use Luigi as Mr L in the game too, though obviously I can't prove that.

TTYD absolutely was not 'perfectly fine' to them. You can see practically all the hallmarks of the changes happening with them being much more restrictive on how the Mario IP can be shown in spm.

It's why the enemies are practically all either plain mario style or original with only a small handful that were grandfathered in from previous paper mario games, actual mario characters as partners are gone, and that's also the case for using them as NPC's. Nintendo probably hemmed and hawed about them even being allowed to use Luigi as Mr L in the game too, though obviously I can't prove that.
Is it that? Or did IS simply want to put the Mario cast in an utterly unknown world? How the heck is the stuff that happens in SPM even more wild than in TTYD and even less Mario-esque? TTYD has actually a better balance between Mario-esque stuff and original stuff.

well it's Mario rather than Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi

also, I can see a Arlo video about this given he put out that "Miyamoto really hates story" video.
A life action action movie based on the way Arlo thinks that key people from Nintendo are nothing else than characters of his own comic book would actually be interesting.

Nintendo wasn't hands-off with Thousand-Year Door's content, they did exercise creative control over it, removing things like a white outline in one of the Rogueport houses. They could've gone harder in removing some of the imagery in the game but at the time it's clear they weren't as bothered.

Super Paper Mario's weak visual design feels more like a consequence of that game probably getting a baby-sized budget since it was in development as a late-era Gamecube game, before they decided to move it up to the Wii. Some of the game's subject matter gets more over-the-top than TTYD ever did, such as literally depicting the death of Mario main characters, or putting Princess Peach in an otaku dating sim game where the player can have her respond submissively. I feel like you can more vividly trace the start of Mario's "sanitization" with the aftermath of SPM, followed by the insane success of games like NSMB Wii.

I’m not going to say they have the most groundbreaking stories ever, but off the top of my head you’ve got:

An abusive family relationship between Vivian and her sisters, Admiral Bobbery having to be walked back from deep depression following the death of his wife and his self blame of having not been there for her, and the main villain being a decently disturbing demon who possesses Peach, decapitates Grodus, and is a higher level threat in general than we typically see.

The whole story centers around the tragic romance of a man and woman from different tribes, and how the woman is implied to have been beaten to near death by the man’s father, and eventually forced to become a Pixl to save her life at the cost of her memory, while the man becomes a nihilistic villain seeking to wipe out all reality in his grief. We do see one world completely wiped out and wander through its ruins, and at one point you go through the Mario equivalent to hell.

The Origami creatures in general, most notably Peach, have a disturbing pod people quality to them and the game kind of plays it for body horror. On top of that, 3 named characters are killed in the game; Bobby, who’s sacrifice is noteably grieved on as a plot point, Olly, who is killed in the final battle, and Olivia, who unwishes her own existence to undo the damage her brother had caused to the world. Unlike the previous two games, these sacrifices actually stick and there is no revival.

I think it would have been a mistake to make a movie with that as your start point for a Mario cinematic universe. Is it going to be a Mario movie or a "Vivian tries killing herself to undo the mistakes of her brother" movie ... I dunno.

If they want to give the "Mario Bros." concept some depth I'd have done the following

- Mario and Luigi had their parents die tragically as kids. The main memory Mario has of his parents is their father (who runs a plumbing business) and mother telling him that family always sticks together and to always look after his younger brother Luigi. That memory sticks with him. They basically raised each other and were super close and opened a plumbing business just like their father used to run.

- As they've gotten older they've kind grated on each other's nerves. Luigi is a bit jealous of Mario, doesn't like always having to be known as the kid brother, they bicker like siblings do, etc. etc. Maybe the business is not doing so hot. We get to the point where Luigi wants to quit the Mario Bros. business and go off and do his own thing because he's tired of being in Mario's shadow, and other gripes.

- They have their adventure in the Mushroom Kingdom, they almost die trying to save the MK and saving each other and realize that they're bros through and through and better together than apart. When they come back to Brookyln Luigi decides not to leave the family business and Mario has learned to listen to his brother, etc. etc. etc.

I mean you can kinda play with the story points but you get the idea.

I think it would have been a mistake to make a movie with that as your start point for a Mario cinematic universe. Is it going to be a Mario movie or a "Vivian tries killing herself to undo the mistakes of her brother" movie ... I dunno.

If they want to give the "Mario Bros." concept some depth I'd have done the following

- Mario and Luigi had their parents die tragically as kids. The main memory Mario has of his parents is their father (who runs a plumbing business) and mother telling him to take care of his younger brother, Luigi. That memory sticks with him. They basically raised each other and were super close and opened a plumbing business just like their father used to run.

- As they've gotten older they've kind grated on each other's nerves. Luigi is a bit jealous of Mario, doesn't like always having to be known as the kid brother, they bicker like siblings do, etc. etc.. We get to the point where Luigi wants to quit the Mario Bros. business and go off and do his own thing because he's tired of being in Mario's shadow, and other gripes.

- They have their adventure in the Mushroom Kingdom, they almost die trying to save the MK and saving each other and realize that they're bros through and through and better together than apart. When they come back to Brookyln Luigi decides not to leave the family business and Mario has learned to listen to his brother, etc. etc. etc.

I mean you can kinda play with the story points but you get the idea.
I wasn't' suggesting they did or to go that route, I was just pointing out some of the darker things in the Mario RPG series.

Nintendo wasn't hands-off with Thousand-Year Door's content, they did exercise creative control over it, removing things like a white outline in one of the Rogueport houses. They could've gone harder in removing some of the imagery in the game but they didn't bother.

Super Paper Mario's weak visual design feels more like a consequence of that game probably getting a baby-sized budget since it was in development as a late-era Gamecube game, before they decided to move it up to the Wii. Some of the game's subject matter gets more over-the-top than TTYD ever did, such as literally depicting the death of Mario main characters, or putting Princess Peach in an otaku dating sim game where the player can have her respond submissively.
2007. The year many "edgier" Mario games were put out: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers Charged Football...no wonder Nintendo clamped down hard after that.

Anyway it's interesting this became a new thread on Mario's brand control in hindsight, dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives...

That's not story depth really though, that's just setting and tone. Story is driven by character need/desire and then expressed through character development, conflict, etc. not locations, that is basically the fundamental of any great story. Locations and tone can help but they should be a secondary aspect to the core story which comes from the character.

And anyways from what we can see, the Mario movie has great locations in spades, Mushroom Kingdom, Rainbow Road, even Luigi's Mansion type areas ... for a first movie it definitely has that aspect going for it. I mean tonally and environment wise I think largely they nailed it.

Yes it is. The main character can be static and the story still have depth.

One Piece is essentially a road trip whose main character is as stuck personality wise as he has been since Episode 1. He's always that very straightforward shonen protagonist when approaching the complexities of the world around him. He's challenged physically, and struggles when his strengths fail him, but otherwise is straightfoward. Everyone else around him is complex and goes through radical arcs as inspired by him. The environments are varied and each with a thematic throughline for all of them to sell the larger arcs.

Mario can't have characters bloody and decapitated, but that doesn't mean he can't have depth surrounding him.

One Piece is essentially a road trip whose main character is as stuck personality wise as he has been since Episode 1. He's always that very straightforward shonen protagonist when approaching the complexities of the world around him. He's challenged physically, and struggles when his strengths fail him, but otherwise is straightfoward. Everyone else around him is complex and goes through radical arcs as inspired by him. The environments are varied and each with a thematic throughline for all of them to sell the larger arcs.

Mario can't have characters bloody and decapitated, but that doesn't mean he can't have depth surrounding him.

You can, but it's very rare and it's probably actually some what harder to write that way.

You go into any Hollywood studio story group and the first thing they will ask you beyond your premise is who is your protagonist and what is their character arc.

Disney, Warner Bros., Universal, etc. etc. etc. doesn't matter.

Interestingly enough, it seems Mario's character is more or less about keeping to push against the odds to get what he wants, which is pretty similar to what you just described there.

There will be a separate review thread
To the suggestion of user @Mandos , there will be a separate review thread to showcase more clearly reviews so they don't get drowned with the impressions. As such, this thread has been renamed to an impressions/previews thread.

Seems to be what wanted and i expected. A fine movie that is very fun but not very deep,which is vedy reasonable for mario.

The idea of a nintendo cinematic universe is destructive and laughable tho, to say the least.

How many "great" kids movies can you honestly name from the last 10 years?

It's not that easy to make a great film, let alone one that is tied to a fairly thin (story wise) source material that also has strict limits on how far you can push the character/story mechanics.
Alright. In no particular order (and speaking only for movies I've specifically seen), here are a few kids/all ages films that I would consider great:
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2
  • Coco
  • Turning Red
  • Encanto
  • Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
  • Belle
  • Pinocchio
  • Steven Universe: The Movie
  • EDIT: Totally forgot about The Lego Movie
You could make arguments for films like Inside Out and The Mitchells VS The Machines, even if those weren't as much my thing, and while it's weaker than its predecessors, HTTYD: The Hidden World has great elements to it. And then there's films I haven't seen - Rise of the TMNT: The Movie, The Bad Guys, Luca, all of these are a few examples of films that, if not great, are still often considered good or worth your time. If we extend the time range a bit more, we can also add films like Tangled, Toy Story 3, and Kung-Fu Panda 2. Heck, if we talk about kid/all ages animation in general, we've had a great era of network/Netflix TV. Again, out of stuff I've seen airing new episodes in the last decade:
  • Adventure Time
  • Steven Universe
  • OK KO: Let's Be Heroes!
  • She-Ra & the Princesses of Power
  • City of Ghosts
And that's just the stuff I've seen in full. There's also Gravity Falls, Regular Show, We Bare Bears, two different Ninja Turtles shows, and The Owl House, to name a few.

I'm not intending this as some "gotcha" or anything. If the works I mentioned don't tickle your fancy, then that's totally cool. But I firmly believe that kid/all ages works are indeed great, and they can be held to a higher standard.

You gotta ask yourself how would someone make a first time viewer friendly Mario movie without it coming across as safe? The more you dive into things, the more complex and sometimes even messy plots can become that bog down a film as well. We've seen this from films like Warcraft that tried to cram an epic war narrative from two sides of the conflict into a nearly 3 hour film, and that still wasn't enough.

Deeper narrative is something we can hope from a sequel.
If I were taking the reins of a Mario movie, then the first thing I would ask is "why do I want to adapt this? What about the characters and the world appeal to me? What do I want to say here?" Mario has a whimsical, fun tone. It has a simple "save the day" story. But that also gives a lot of room to potentially work with. That doesn't mean it has to be a deep or complicated story. But it comes down to execution - what do you choose to explore? How do you push things like the humor or the action or whatever you decide on? How do you make the material interesting and engaging? A lot of what people are hyped about from the trailers are the faithful look or the references or the music, and those aren't insubstantial. But how the film handles the rest remains to be seen, but I'm not super confident, personally.

This approach doesn't guarantee a good film - you could say this is the exact same approach as the 1993 film, and the movie wasn't exactly renowned for its writing. I am also aware enough to recognize that this isn't Nintendo's goal with this movie. The focus is to have a movie that shows their character in a recognizable way. In that regard they've likely succeeded with flying colors. Movie will make a ton of money and will drive eyes to the brand. Heck, despite my reservations, I'm seeing it opening weekend - I'm part of the problem!

I really, really want to be wrong about this movie lol

Last edited:
Alright. In no particular order (and speaking only for movies I've specifically seen), here are a few kids/all ages films that I would consider great:
  • Coco
  • Turning Red
  • Encanto
  • Belle
  • Pinocchio
You could make arguments for films like Inside Out and The Mitchells VS The Machines, even if those weren't as much my thing, and while it's weaker than its predecessors, HTTYD: The Hidden World has great elements to it. And then there's films I haven't seen - Rise of the TMNT: The Movie, The Bad Guys, Luca, all of these are a few examples of films that, if not great, are still often considered good or worth your time. If we extend the time range a bit more, we can also add films like Tangled, Toy Story 3, and Kung-Fu Panda 2. Heck, if we talk about kid/all ages animation in general, we've had a great era of network/Netflix TV. Again, out of stuff I've seen airing new episodes in the last decade:
  • Adventure Time
  • Steven Universe
  • City of Ghosts
And that's just the stuff I've seen in full. There's also Gravity Falls, Regular Show, We Bare Bears, two different Ninja Turtles shows, and The Owl House, to name a few.

I'm not intending this as some "gotcha" or anything. If the works I mentioned don't tickle your fancy, then that's totally cool. But I firmly believe that kid/all ages works are indeed great, and they can be held to a higher standard.

If I were taking the reins of a Mario movie, then the first thing I would ask is "why do I want to adapt this? What about the characters and the world appeal to me? What do I want to say here?" Mario has a whimsical, fun tone. It has a simple "save the day" story. But that also gives a lot of room to potentially work with. That doesn't mean it has to be a deep or complicated story. But it comes down to execution - what do you choose to explore? How do you push things like the humor or the action or whatever you decide on? How do you make the material interesting and engaging? A lot of what people are hyped about from the trailers are the faithful look or the references or the music, and those aren't insubstantial. But how the film handles the rest remains to be seen, but I'm not super confident, personally.

This approach doesn't guarantee a good film - you could say this is the exact same approach as the 1993 film, and the movie wasn't exactly renowned for its writing. I am also aware enough to recognize that this isn't Nintendo's goal with this movie. The focus is to have a movie that shows their character in a recognizable way. In that regard they've likely succeeded with flying colors. Movie will make a ton of money and will drive eyes to the brand. Heck, despite my reservations, I'm seeing it opening weekend - I'm part of the problem!

a fellow Kung Fu Panda 2 enjoyer I see. I've thought for a bit now those movies have probably like the best action in theatrical western animation, often joined with great stories/messages.

Ratatouille is greatest animated film of all time!

(3-D animation. To cheat so I can pick a 2-D film to be the greatest as well 🫣)

• Coco
  • Turning Red
  • Encanto
  • Belle
  • Pinocchio
  • EDIT: Totally forgot about The Lego Movie
  • Adventure Time
  • Steven Universe
  • City of Ghosts

That list is still small, for that same list I could list 3-5x as many family movies that aren't great.

Great films are rare period. It's not that easy to make them, you generally need to have an extremely strong character that has a problem/issue/character arc that involves an emotional transformation to have a strong story ... that just isn't Mario's forte.

"Make a great Mario movie that has a great plot, emotional story arc" is a tall order, I think people don't really understand that these things are not that simple.

I'd also say straight up there are 0 great video game to movie films period. Some of them are fun and decent at best ... but "great"? Yeah ... no.

Making a great story is hard, it's probably even harder than making a great game, the Mario universe is a lot of fun, but story wise lets be honest, there's not a wealth of juicy material there to draw from. Like I said this isn't like being given a JRR Tolkien book that has so much story even 3 feature length movies can't hold it all.

If the Mario movie is pleasant and enjoyable enough, I think that in and of itself is a large win because really you're basing the story on a game series that has very limited story telling to begin with.

That list is still small, for that same list I could list 3-5x as many family movies that aren't great.

Great films are rare period. It's not that easy to make them, you generally need to have an extremely strong character that has a problem/issue/character arc that involves an emotional transformation to have a strong story ... that just isn't Mario's forte.

"Make a great Mario movie that has a great plot, emotional story arc" is a tall order, I think people don't really understand that these things are not that simple.

I'd also say straight up there are 0 great video game to movie films period. Some of them are fun and decent at best ... but "great"? Yeah ... no.
For me, a mario film only needs to do good enough to make nintendo feel confident in making films and series for ips that are better suited for that. I cant see a mario folm being great, not that i think its impossible but it is nintendo's fault no one can imagine that.

For me, a mario film only needs to do good enough to make nintendo feel confident in making films and series for ips that are better suited for that. I cant see a mario folm being great, not that i think its impossible but it is nintendo's fault no one can imagine that.

It's hard. Writing a good film is probably harder than even making a good video game ... and the proof of that is look at how many sequels/reboots to movie franchises that are genuinely beloved, well done, have "depth" ... go badly wrong.

Ghostbusters II wasn't as good as Ghostbusters, Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions wasn't as good as Matrix 1, Star Wars sequels/prequels all well way short of the original Star Wars, the 4th Indiana Jones (his return) sucked compared to the OG Indiana Jones movies, Alien 3 sucked after Aliens and Alien 4/5 might even be worse, every other Star Trek movie seems to be a let down relative to the previous one, Frozen 2 wasn't as beloved as Frozen 1, Terminator 2 was a great sequel, but Terminator 3/4/5, many of the Jurassic Park sequels, etc. not so much, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. There's millions of examples. Very few movie sequels are as good or better than their predecessor even with a rock solid foundation, even with the same cast, same writers, same director, they can't get it quite right even then most of the time.

Whereas with games, lots of sequels are as good or better than their predecessor because you can just build in a linear way on the previous game if you want.

Stories are more complicated. If the Mario film is solid/decent I think people should understand even to get there the filmmakers here probably cleared an improbable bar to begin with. If you're asking for "well I want something comparable to the 10 best animated films of the last decade" from a Mario movie ... you're asking for a lot.

I think a great Mario movie can be made, but Nintendo's gotta give the reins to actually take Mario's character through a really emotionally challenging arc, the kind you would see applied in KFP2 or The Last Wish, the kind that would cause Mario to have an existential crisis. And I'm not sure Nintendo is ready to allow that. If anything, if there's even a slight chance in the world it happens, it would be through the directors/Illumination building enough trust with Nintendo to actually be allowed to do it.

I‘m more interested in how a movie produced by Nintendo in a major way looks like. Regardless how good it is supposed to be, that itself is already super interesting. Honestly I hope there is something super weird in the movie no one understands why it is there while to Nintendo themselves it makes perfect sense. I want to see how people outside our bubble react to the weirdness of that company.

I think a great Mario movie can be made, but Nintendo's gotta give the reins to actually take Mario's character through a really emotionally challenging arc, the kind you would see applied in KFP2 or The Last Wish, the kind that would cause Mario to have an existential crisis. And I'm not sure Nintendo is ready to allow that. If anything, if there's even a slight chance in the world it happens, it would be through the directors/Illumination building enough trust with Nintendo to actually be allowed to do it.
Yea ofc, i said i didnt believe it was impossible. But i dont think nintendo is comfortable with getting outside of their comfort zone for a truly great mario film to happen.

I think a truly great adaptation would be much easier to achieve in series format and with a ip more suited to it such as metroid, zelda, splatoon and star fox.

Of course, Dreamworks made The Last Wish from the ashes of an ok film, so it could be done with Mario too.

I‘m more interested in how a movie produced by Nintendo in a major way looks like. Regardless how good it is supposed to be, that itself is already super interesting. Honestly I hope there is something super weird in the movie no one understands why it is there while to Nintendo themselves it makes perfect sense. I want to see how people outside our bubble react to the weirdness of that company.
One poster who left an impression here says it's actually obvious how much Nintendo had an involvement in this. @Starphanluke I believe?

The bit in Mario RPG where Bowser finds a Goomba who abandoned the army and started a family is really, really good for such a short bit. Absolutely hilarious for how straight it's played, and really expanded on Bowser's character at the time

The bit in Mario RPG where Bowser finds a Goomba who abandoned the army and started a family is really, really good for such a short bit. Absolutely hilarious for how straight it's played, and really expanded on Bowser's character at the time
I kind of want Bowser to care about his army but it seems they went full evil road with him. No redeemable qualities, aside from his love/respect for Peach I guess?

I kind of want Bowser to care about his army but it seems they went full evil road with him. No redeemable qualities, aside from his love/respect for Peach I guess?
they usually save that stuff for bowser jr nowadays

they usually save that stuff for bowser jr nowadays
The thing that's interesting is that this Bowser clearly does not have Junior yet. He resents a lack of love and he's terrible with relationships. He has no balance. Pure rage. I want to hope they want to do an interesting evolution of his character.

I do wonder if they'd feel pressured to actually have to explain where tf Bowser Junior came from in a movie setting.
they kind of would be forced to yes. It would make no sense whatsoever not to, especially since they have taken the decision not to introduce him in movie 1. What I'm actually curious about is if they explain in this movie Bowser and Peach's backstories. Because if you're willing to introduce the Mario Bros. as the first humans coming to the Mushroom Kingdom aside from Peach, that raises some questions. And you perhaps do not want to have Bowser coming out of nowhere with no explanation at all. Wonder if the thin narrative complaint is due to them letting some of those things intentionally vague.

Last edited:
My bigger requisite for this film would be ... just be fun and don't be boring. If you can achieve those two things, then mission accomplished.

I'm not going into a Mario movie expecting to be moved emotionally ... the same way I don't expect that from like a Bond movie. Some films just don't aspire to do that and that's OK.

Finally, Nintendo music on Spotify. 🙃

Hope this gets a CD release but iam8bit being involved means the physical version may just be vinyl.

Foreign review
French review with a non-spoiler part and a spoiler part (actually, just cut at the middle because there's a spoiler about characters present in the early portion of the movie) :

Some of what's said:
-Very positive, the reviewer liked it a lot.
-The movie is an extremely faithful adaptation of Mario, down to the simple story and the movie itself literally has Mario's entire history packed into it, save for a few exceptions (like Dr Mario).
-He enjoyed the humor, and he's never been a fan of the Minions (more of a Rabbids guy)
-He thinks children will like it a lot with its simple story, its humor and its action and recommend to the adults to look for the multiple easter eggs (both from Mario and other Nintendo franchises) in the movie and thinks they will appreciate the love letter the movie is to Mario's heritage.
-He had literally one thing he thought was a missed opportunity after credits began to roll but by the actual end, that one disappointement flew away.
-He thinks the one aspect that will be divisive is the definition people will have of "film adaptation", he thinks people will think of it as a long Mario cutscene (and he doesn't think they're necessarily wrong, he thinks people that expect Mario's world to be much more developed will be disappointed, but he also thinks it would be lying to say there's no new info on Mario's lore, and that we discover some pretty amazing things).
-Pacing is very fast, not a single time he was bored.
Now for the one spoiler in the non-spoiler section:
Mario's parents are in the film and you can actually see them. He also gave a comment about how he didn't expect Mario's dad to be someone and I'm pretty 100% sure he means Charles Martinet

Last edited:
New set of foreign impressions
Several French impressions came in, and they all seem pretty sure it's good (some of them mention great pacing and some even seem to think it's the best video game movie (one mentioning it as Illumination's best film):

Last edited:
Several French impressions came in, and they all seem pretty sure it's good (some of them mention great pacing and some even seem to think it's the best video game movie (one mentioning it as Illumination's best film):

France will save my avatar bet!

Reading through the impressions ... you know, i don't need some deep/fascinating story.

This is one of the movies that just need to be a faithful adaption of the source material and full of funny easter eggs.

Do NOT open Nintendo's email about the Mario movie they just sent out if you don't want to be spoiled on Easter eggs in the screenshots. (They're incredible btw)

Do NOT open Nintendo's email about the Mario movie they just sent out if you don't want to be spoiled on Easter eggs in the screenshots. (They're incredible btw)

Post them here in spoilers.

Or don't if it's just these.

SPOILER_unnamed_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom