• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie impressions/previews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, these new reviews have been incredible. I saw some fans impressions online and they are wildly positive. I think it will sit at around 80% RT and 85% audience score. If it can get great WoM with big anticipation, this will be a MASSIVE movie.

Interesting one from a Rotten Tomatoe critic:

Funny hearing (reading) regular people discussing a Lumalee in any fashion.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/super-mario-bros-air-box-office-opening-ben-affleck-amazon-1235316883/

Let's A-Go: 'Super Mario Bros Movie' Leveling Up To $225M+ Global Bow, Possibly Year's Best So Far – Box Office Preview

When comped to the previous record opening for a video game feature adaptation, Paramount/Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ($72.1M U.S. a year ago), Super Mario Bros is outmaneuvering the blue protagonist across the board.

In terms of offshore comps, the biggest is 2015's Minions at $111.5M in like-for-like markets and at today's rates. Next up is 2019's Toy Story 4 at $100.4M, followed by 2017's Despicable Me 3 with $94.4M (note that when including China that skyrockets to $159M, but again, caution prevails). Similarly, 2017's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 got a big boost from China, but without it bowed to $85M at today's rates.

Interesting one from a Rotten Tomatoe critic:

Funny hearing (reading) regular people discussing a Lumalee in any fashion.

Okay is this a positive take or is she saying that you'll want "the sweet relief of death" like Lumalee (as in she didn't enjoy it) 🤔

Probably gonna end up around 75% RT, which is amazing for a video game movie.
The thing is, the critics that matter for RT seem to be mostly the ones giving mixed or negative impressions, so I'm not so sure about it getting a good score there.

You know, I sometimes wonder why would you consider fan-service adapting the world of a franchise to the big screen.

You know, I sometimes wonder why would you consider fan-service adapting the world of a franchise to the big screen.
Mario isn't exactly a series that's ripe with a lot of deep surface lore. It's a presentationally rich franchise that traditionally relies on having its elements speak for itself through charm and whimsy. This is true for the games and considering the immense reach of the franchise, I imagine it the same will apply for the film.

In general it seems people love the animation, score and Easter eggs and think the plot is barebones

The one polarizing thing is the VA. Some seem to love it, some hate it. Can’t get a good read on that aspect

I must admit, I'm not even sure the Sonic movies were that unanimously liked by Sonic fans. This feels like a movie that was tailor-made for all Mario fans and kids.

I’m bummed I can’t go till next week. On the flip side 5 family members wanna go with and the one paying wants to do RPX, so it should be a blast

Seems like Nintendo/gaming fans are almost universally praising the movie, while the more general movie critics are mixed. This has all the makings of a film with a much higher audience score than RT average. Honestly, this is probably one of the most positive possible outcomes for this movie considering how it was being viewed the past 2 years (ie. A disaster waiting to happen) and how much shit Illumination gets as a studio from some folks.

For me personally, hearing that the movie has a great soundtrack, beautiful animation, and plenty of references is all I needed. :)

Gonna sit out looking for anymore impressions, spoilers are starting to spread.

My thoughts are if you mix illumination and any attempt of an actual plot/character development... I would not bet on that turning out great. Neither for the general audience or especially the fans.

This movie sounds like they took the safe path, and instead focusing on nailing the mario IP transition to a film structure. Which is sounds like that actually nailed it. And I'm totally okay with that as a Mario fan.

Let's hope the success of this Mario Movie leads to Nintendo/Illumination taking more daring attempts, and DreamWorks gets involved for the more story-focused franchises.

When do we get actual reviews? Twitter reviews are always like this (everyone either loves it or hates it, nowhere in between). I want actual reviews

(I'm still burned from the time the Lion King remake was described on Twitter as even better than the original lol)

what does "regressively archaic" even mean?
Considering other reviews by the same writer, he presumably means that it's a very bog standard kids movie, since his usual takes on film for kids seems mostly excited when discussing the "elements adults can latch on"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom