• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie impressions/previews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

entut1

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Some press members (and reliable film insider ViewerAnon) have been given this:

Screen-Shot-2023-03-30-at-10-50-37-AM.png

This thread has been built to gather all social media impressions/previews of the movie.

Social embargo has been lifted!

Last edited:
I think the film will be good as the first Despicable Me.
Somehow this feels like best case scenario. One Box Office Theory poster who saw the movie early did not like the film and implied the script wasn't up to snuff. I just want a good, rewatchable movie please. This is the first stab Mario is getting at the medium in 30 years. It would be a freaking shame if the movie ends up being bad or a mixed bag after all this time.

I still hold my under 70% predictions. It will be enjoyable, but I really am skeptical that it will be held in wide regard by mainstream critics.

So just social media reactions tonight, which are generally pretty positive. But it'll still be interesting to see what people say.

I still hold my under 70% predictions. It will be enjoyable, but I really am skeptical that it will be held in wide regard by mainstream critics.
It does seem rather difficult to predict. On the one hand it's Illumination, on the other hand the other movie the duo of Horvath and Jelenic (as writers with Horvath in the directing chair) were behind is Teen Titans Go To The Movies, which holds like a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's really wrote with cleverness in a lot of ways and showcase a good understanding of superhero tropes both in the movie and the comic mediums. However, the script ain't penned by them this time (although they have heavy story input as the directors and we know they've done multiple iterations of the script with the actual screenwriter), so who knows if this movie comes off as well-written without them in the screenwriting position.

Decided to check and half of Illumination's movies (6 out of 12) have gotten at least 70% on RT and a mean of 73% across these movies:
Minions: The Rise of Gru (2022) - 70%
Sing (2016) - 71%
Sing 2 (2021) - 72%
The Secret Life of Pets (2016) - 72%
Despicable Me 2 (2013) - 75%
Despicable Me (2010) - 80%

Overall, Illumination's RT score mean is 63%, but Hop is an outlier at 24%. Removing this outlier, they have an mean of 66%.
Make of this information as you will.

It does seem rather difficult to predict. On the one hand it's Illumination, on the other hand the other movie the duo of Horvath and Jelenic (as writers with Horvath in the directing chair) were behind is Teen Titans Go To The Movies, which holds like a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's really wrote with cleverness in a lot of ways and showcase a good understanding of superhero tropes both in the movie and the comic mediums. However, the script ain't penned by them this time (although they have heavy story input as the directors and we know they've done multiple iterations of the script with the actual screenwriter), so who knows if this movie comes off as well-written without them in the screenwriting position.
The best I predict from the movie is that it will feel pretty safe. BUT, the important thing is that it won't be boring. The visual treat, and references will mask and elevate what will otherwise be a standard movie. High standard by Illumination, but kinda same old same old for non-Mario fans.

And I don't think it has to be more than that especially as a first movie.

Ah, gotta love the apprehensive feeling before reviews drop lol. I guess I’m not too concerned, as it seems the general sentiment among critics is that it’s a good time. Just don’t expect Spiderverse or Puss in Boots level.

People in my country have started to post their movie theater popcorn combos with a very nice little figurine of Mario. I'm currently asking for their impression of the movie (if they actually watched it and not only bought the combo)

Illumination's other games don't have much substance imo, but Mario has enough material to make better world building and fantasy. Humour looks good. So, to me this is will be good and better than most of illumination's projects but not on the level of the best Puss in boots 2 for example. A good 75-85%

I'm very curious to see if initial reception and reviews for the SMB movie match how I envision it: A safe if inoffensive kid's film that looks lovely and is bolstered by lots of references and nods to the games but that isn't spectacular, not too off in quality from either Illumination's other films or the Sonic films.

Whether that's over 70% on Rotten Tomatoes or under, I don't know. It can go either way, but I can easily see the 65-75 range. I would be legitimately surprised if it's high 70s or even low 80s. And if it's above even that, then this movie is a rousing success on all fronts.

People in my country have started to post their movie theater popcorn combos with a very nice little figurine of Mario. I'm currently asking for their impression of the movie (if they actually watched it and not only bought the combo)
Which country are doing figures?

I'm very curious to see if initial reception and reviews for the SMB movie match how I envision it: A safe if inoffensive kid's film that looks lovely and is bolstered by lots of references and nods to the games but that isn't spectacular, not too off in quality from either Illumination's other films or the Sonic films.

Whether that's over 70% on Rotten Tomatoes or under, I don't know. It can go either way, but I can easily see the 65-75 range. I would be legitimately surprised if it's high 70s or even low 80s. And if it's above even that, then this movie is a rousing success on all fronts.
You know, it's interesting how literally no movie based on a video game franchise has ever been certified fresh. There's always something holding the thing back in some way. You'd think after over 40 years of video game history and it becoming extremely popular around the world, someone would have gotten that right, but no.

This isn't going to be the greatest animated movie of all time in terms of quality, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be a fun, engaging, and faithful adaptation of the Mario franchise to the big screen. As long as it manages that, I think the reception will be generally positive.

I mean from the trailers alone. It’s by far the best looking film illumination has ever made. Also the best animation they’ve done. It is NOT just another illumination movie based on visuals alone. This is a step FAR beyond what they’ve been doing.

I can't believe we're almost there. Looking forward to this movie, regardless of how it reviews. It does look like the creators have the right priorities.

Something that has filtered out is that the movie has lots of action. Hoping this is a strong point of the movie per the reviews. The fight scenes have been more or less hidden from trailers, we only really see the set-up for those and I wonder how they will play out given we have straight-up insane shots like this:

I'm excited af and will 100% watch it no matter what happens, but I'm also not expecting a masterpiece in terms of story. I'm guessing the consensus will be that the visuals and references/easter eggs are the best part (along with some set pieces).

Last edited:
Dang didn’t realize reviews were dropping so soon. I’ll guess high 60s/low 70s. Safe and inoffensive.

I see there's a premiere going on. Early twitter reactions will often be glowing sometimes intentionally but most certainly subconcious, because the people who get to go to a premiere are specially selected. Just be aware of that.

I see there's a premiere going on. Early twitter reactions will often be glowing sometimes intentionally but most certainly subconcious, because the people who get to go to a premiere are specially selected. Just be aware of that.
Oh I'm aware. Several gaming publications are going.

Press started watching the movie around 23 minutes ago. I imagine impressions are gonna go up around the end of the screening

it's been 15 minutes and nobody except two guys posted anything. someone mentioned there's an afterparty so maybe it's because of that?

At face value nothing in that tweet would be a big swerve from how the movie seemed to be shaping up. The one-liners in the trailers really didn't land with me and the revelation a day ago about some music choices was really weird.

So it's either garbage or the best movie ever then.
Usually the case with these types of impressions.

Always amusing to me. Especially the films that are genuinely bad and the impressions try really hard not to admit it

No way the embargo is lifted yet. Influencers wouldn't wait one second to post their impressions even in the apocalypse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom