• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie impressions/previews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very strange how few reactions have dropped after the embargo.

Maybe Nintendo Youtubers are just more scared of breaking embargo that typical movie critics lol.

It sounds like people like us (diehards) are loving it. Considering how we all felt when this movie was first announced, that is a huge win.

Still wouldn't be surprised if RT is under 70%, but I can't wait to see it now!

It sounds like people like us (diehards) are loving it. Considering how we all felt when this movie was first announced, that is a huge win.

Still wouldn't be surprised if RT is under 70%, but I can't wait to see it now!
Sonic 2 gets to win!

I have no real dog in this RT race but worth remembering that the percentage is more about the average number of critics who liked the movie as opposed to an average of how they'd rate it. The movie could be okay on average and still get a decent percentage for any arbitrary reason. Lots of MCU movies are pretty notable for having high RTs on movies which are usually just seen as "okay" (first two Ant-Mans come to mind).

So in summary.

Visuals are stunning.
Action sequences are very good.
Humor is OK.
Full of Easter Eggs and references to lots of Mario games.
Story is pretty simple with any WOW twist

So I think if this successful, they will try more movies with the same formula.

very little impressions. Expected more honeslty.

Aww well. Reviews on Tuesday anyways, should be a fun day.
Wonder whether it's a thing with the medium honestly. I feel like I rarely ever see social media impressions on some animated films that might escape a lot of their target audience.

As someone who reads a TON of these social media reactions, this movie is probably going rotten on RT, or 60s, based on these early reactions. When they're this muted/mixed to begin with, it's never a great sign unfortunately.
Can you remember if Sonic 2 like this?

As someone who reads a TON of these social media reactions, this movie is probably going rotten on RT, or 60s, based on these early reactions. When they're this muted/mixed to begin with, it's never a great sign unfortunately.
Was Sonic 2 anything like this?

I have no real dog in this RT race but worth remembering that the percentage is more about the average number of critics who liked the movie as opposed to an average of how they'd rate it. The movie could be okay on average and still get a decent percentage for any arbitrary reason. Lots of MCU movies are pretty notable for having high RTs on movies which are usually just seen as "okay" (first two Ant-Mans come to mind).
that's because it's just a percentage of positive reviews

A movie with ten reviews that give it a 7 will have a higher rating than a movie with seven 10s, and three 5s

Usually when an embargo ends and people are allowed to post impressions, when there’s too few, I’ve seen it not usually a good sign. Folks are usually quick to post impressions.

But i can’t be sure with this film cuase it’s been handle a tad bit more unusual

A little more from Kit and Krysta

It can be confusing. Some people seem to love it to death. Like, I wonder how the critics for this are gonna go. If the story is like very simple, then the rest would have to be pretty amazing for the movie to even get certified fresh. Like Avatar-level of spectacle and emotion. Not sure this has that.

I was always expecting the film to not be a critical success story because the narrative was always going to be weak and that's gonna be a huge knock for most critics.

But film critics are the same people who gave Bullet Train a mixed score so FUCK EM! MOTY BAYBEE!

I was always expecting the film to not be a critical success story because the narrative was always going to be weak and that's gonna be a huge knock for most critics.

But film critics are the same people who gave Bullet Train a mixed score so FUCK EM! MOTY BAYBEE!
Oh I liked Bullet Train a whole lot. Such a good action movie with great characters. If this has that, who cares about the plot?

I generally don’t pay much attention to movie discourse, but this thread is showing me how similar it is to gaming (ie. everything seemingly revolves around Metacritic/ Rotten Tomatoes).

Was not expecting a deep plot by any means. I would never play a Mario game or watch a Mario movie for it's story. It's an unwritten rule for me

One thing tho, if Galaxy is the game they adapt next and they are very commited to making it faithful in its emotion and epicness then story should be an easy improvement.

It can be confusing. Some people seem to love it to death. Like, I wonder how the critics for this are gonna go. If the story is like very simple, then the rest would have to be pretty amazing for the movie to even get certified fresh. Like Avatar-level of spectacle and emotion. Not sure this has that.

I don't think there is much to be confused about.

Seems like if you are a Mario fan, you will love this. Otherwise, it doesn't have any deeper themes or even twists to make it stand out for the average joe.

Actually going back to what you said, there is surprisingly little impressions(at least right now), but most of the them were very positive(outside of three that I've seen). It's not universal, but I wouldn't call it mixed per se.

To be honest I'm not coming to the Mario Movie for the plot, so I could care less than it's nonexistent. Now if the movie has terrible jokes or is paced horribly (cough cough Sonic 2), then we have a problem.

Actually going back to what you said, there is surprisingly little impressions(at least right now), but most of the them were very positive(outside of three that I've seen). It's not universal, but I wouldn't call it mixed per se.
The difference is that the only RT certified critics that I've seen so far (German Lussier, Rendy Jones, and a couple others) have been mixed or negative. This strikes me as the kind of movie audiences could eat up, though, and I'm hoping I'm one of them!

The difference is that the only RT certified critics that I've seen so far (German Lussier, Rendy Jones, and a couple others) have been mixed or negative. This strikes me as the kind of movie audiences could eat up, though, and I'm hoping I'm one of them!
do these movie critics tend to be selective in terms of quality standards?

Seems like the positive reviews are really positive, while the negative ones aren’t really so negative, more like a mixed bag at most.

how the heck would a Mario movie that translates its world so faithfully land a score less high than a live action Sonic movie set in the real world?

You're average movie critic doesn't really care about how faithful a movie adaption is. If they don't care about Mario much, why would they care about how faithful it is to the games?

Last two I believe are rotten tomatoes critics.

Critics seem to be mixed, enthusiasts mostly love it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom