• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie impressions/previews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social media impressions compilation
  • Here's a compilation of multiple social media impressions for the movie

(Warning: the 5th reaction is fake)

Last edited:
    New impression
  • @Starphanluke want to share with us your thoughts on the movie?
    Haha sorry, busy day yesterday.

I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time! Yes, the "plot" is dumb and it definitely skews young, but it is such a love letter and it is SO obvious Nintendo had a grip around the production. Chris Pratt is fine, Peach is a revolution for the character, and Bowser is an absolute delight. Song choices might catch some people off guard, but I adore the songs they chose, so I don't mind.

It's a little heavy on the references, but most are pulled off really tactfully. I'm so excited for y'all to see it so we can talk about it in depth.

There will be a separate review thread
  • To the suggestion of user @Mandos , there will be a separate review thread to showcase more clearly reviews so they don't get drowned with the impressions. As such, this thread has been renamed to an impressions/previews thread.

Foreign review
  • French review with a non-spoiler part and a spoiler part (actually, just cut at the middle because there's a spoiler about characters present in the early portion of the movie) :

Some of what's said:
    -Very positive, the reviewer liked it a lot.
    -The movie is an extremely faithful adaptation of Mario, down to the simple story and the movie itself literally has Mario's entire history packed into it, save for a few exceptions (like Dr Mario).
    -He enjoyed the humor, and he's never been a fan of the Minions (more of a Rabbids guy)
    -He thinks children will like it a lot with its simple story, its humor and its action and recommend to the adults to look for the multiple easter eggs (both from Mario and other Nintendo franchises) in the movie and thinks they will appreciate the love letter the movie is to Mario's heritage.
    -He had literally one thing he thought was a missed opportunity after credits began to roll but by the actual end, that one disappointement flew away.
    -He thinks the one aspect that will be divisive is the definition people will have of "film adaptation", he thinks people will think of it as a long Mario cutscene (and he doesn't think they're necessarily wrong, he thinks people that expect Mario's world to be much more developed will be disappointed, but he also thinks it would be lying to say there's no new info on Mario's lore, and that we discover some pretty amazing things).
    -Pacing is very fast, not a single time he was bored.
    Now for the one spoiler in the non-spoiler section:
    Mario's parents are in the film and you can actually see them. He also gave a comment about how he didn't expect Mario's dad to be someone and I'm pretty 100% sure he means Charles Martinet

Last edited:
    New set of foreign impressions
  • Several French impressions came in, and they all seem pretty sure it's good (some of them mention great pacing and some even seem to think it's the best video game movie (one mentioning it as Illumination's best film):

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Back
    Top Bottom