• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I would never rule out a trailer at the VGAs, extrapolating how Nintendo values the event on Zelda trailer's prescene or absence seems to speak more to lack of hype-worthy upcoming 1st party Switch releases than anything else.

And that may be an indicator Nintendo has shifted developed to the new platform.

God's, it never ends. Yes eventually the development focus will make that change, no, not knowing the lineup for the next year doesn't mean anything. We never know the lineup for the next year beyond the early parts.

This time last year we knew of Splatoon and technically Bayonetta as well as titles up to the early part of the year and that's it. This year we know what's up to March and TOTK and that's it, the exact same as last year. Fire emblem warriors three hopes, Mario strikers, Nintendo switch sports, Live a Live, Xenoblade 3, etc. All hadn't been announced at this point last year.

"What's wrong, gamers? Aren't you happy to see me?"

ra5fkzcod6271.jpg
YAGpXPd_d.webp

God's, it never ends. Yes eventually the development focus will make that change, no, not knowing the lineup for the next year doesn't mean anything. We never know the lineup for the next year beyond the early parts.

This time last year we knew of Splatoon and technically Bayonetta as well as titles up to the early part of the year and that's it. This year we know what's up to March and TOTK and that's it, the exact same as last year. Fire emblem warriors three hopes, Mario strikers, Nintendo switch sports, Live a Live, Xenoblade 3, etc. All hadn't been announced at this point last year.
Everyone has been saying that Nintendo's actions since June are because they are transitioning for a hardware release in the first half next year. I'm personally over the talk of new hardware. I'm definitely over people acting like they know what is happening and why it is happening when it comes to Nintendo.

It's getting old lol

If anything, we know MORE about next year compared to previous years.We have 4 games dated for H1 and another game likely to be in H2.

Also, is Gods a Percy Jackson reference? Really dumb question I know.

I merely said it "may be an incidator" the rant seems misplaced

I am convinced that Nintendo is holding back Zelda because they want to do the full blowout alongside the announcement of the new console it will release with.

Not necessarily with a new console, but it's evident Nintendo's not pushing games anymore until they are around 1-3 months out depending on the sale potential. GoWR was held off until really close to release and it worked well. Mario 3D all star was literally announced like a week or 2 before release ? They don't need to make you hyped 6 months in advance cause the media is going way faster now and things gets lost really quickly. Better to invest in a short blowout in which the game will be advertised everywhere.

For those saying there is a lack of hype. I feel it too. Botw is one of my favorite games, but that E3 trailer really didn't hype me much. The last showing was better, but still pretty lacking aside from the name and date reveal. But i'm sure all this will go away once we get the first proper trailer with story and context. It's just too vague to really know what's going on and the only thing they showed were elements that didn't really change from the previous game.

February to May will give us everything we want.

I don’t know what other people here are thinking, but I think there’s a great chance of getting a January trailer or gameplay. Might still be woozy from all the hopium though.

What are the chances we get a fully rendered 3D city in this game? Like the Witcher 3 in size. It's been so long since we've had a proper city in a Zelda game.
0. Maybe some towns but i just dont see anything like Novigrad in scale

Last edited:
Why zero, lol
The first game already had seven towns, if they want to make another city in the sky I don't see what's stopping them.
Sorry i posted too early and edited. Im sure there will be new civilizations its just that i think its 0% of anything to the scale of Witcher 3 cities.

Sorry i posted too early and edited. Im sure there will be new civilizations its just that i think its 0% of anything to the scale of Witcher 3 cities.
0% still feels low. Witcher 3's 7 years old at this point with a Switch port, and they don't need to make every element of a city interactable to convey scale, so I'm willing to bet on a big city. Maybe even Tarrey-opolis or something, lmao

Plus- "Kingdom"'s in the title, so I'm dreaming big.

Everybody thought there would be no towns in BotW.

There were seven towns in BotW.

Now the doubters say TotK will have no cities the size of Novigrad.

TotK will have seven cities the size of Novigrad.

Speaking of cities, in BotW's development they had planned Tarrey Town to be more of a city building quest, with the block l ike houses being customizable by the player throughout Hyrule. 10:22

Wonder if we might see that.

0% still feels low. Witcher 3's 7 years old at this point with a Switch port, and they don't need to make every element of a city interactable to convey scale, so I'm willing to bet on a big city. Maybe even Tarrey-opolis or something, lmao

Plus- "Kingdom"'s in the title, so I'm dreaming big.
hey i hope im wrong. I believe there will be towns. Just not huge towns. None of the towns in BOTW are particularly big.

Anyway im still in the process of catching up to this thread and am currently enjoying reading one of your lore posts. You are the kind of poster this thread needs more of imo

hey i hope im wrong. I believe there will be towns. Just not huge towns. None of the towns in BOTW are particularly big.
I keep thinking how BotW did so much but was ultimately a Wii U game, a system with 2 GB of RAM with only 1 GB reserved for games. And they still pulled out all the tricks for a seamless overworld.

Switch has triple that amount reserved for games (3 GB + 1 GB for OS). I am eager to see what they're going to squeeze out of it.

I keep thinking how BotW did so much but was ultimately a Wii U game, a system with 2 GB of RAM with only 1 GB reserved for games. And they still pulled out all the tricks for a seamless overworld.

Switch has triple that amount reserved for games (3 GB + 1 GB for OS). I am eager to see what they're going to squeeze out of it.
I agree. I definitely see this as being a showcase of what a switch game can really handle. Even if the next switch is released with the totk, it will just be a repeat of botw on switch even if it was developed as a wii u game. I wonder if it will go into some extra lengths to use the switch hardware for some specific mechanics or puzzles (maybe not to the same extent as motion controls in SS or that one puzzle in Phantom Hourglass lol but would be neat to see if they bring in something switch specific. Tho I guess it would have to also work on switch lite potentially so I guess they are a bit more restricted in that sense)

February Direct is basically lock and loaded but if Nintendo feels like they need to put out Zelda something in January to slowly start things going running I could see them just tweeting next month: Tune in for a new ToTK trailer tomorrow! Kinda how they did with Bowser's Fury. ToTK lives with marketing for itself so I could see this happening.

Another thing am curious about is how will the premiere the gameplay. Of course media will play the game closer to launch but it would be fitting to have Treehouse Live but with developers themselves since there was no E3 when they could be there.

I wonder if it will go into some extra lengths to use the switch hardware for some specific mechanics or puzzles (maybe not to the same extent as motion controls in SS or that one puzzle in Phantom Hourglass lol but would be neat to see if they bring in something switch specific. Tho I guess it would have to also work on switch lite potentially so I guess they are a bit more restricted in that sense)
I am still flabbergasted that Skyward Sword HD did not use HD rumble. Like remember how the Wii would emit sound effects from the speaker for more 'immersion'? That was just a rinky dink little speaker but they still bothered to do it. And then two generations later they don't even use their nifty advanced haptics in a game all about motion controls.

In this game focused on hand/arm based powers, HD rumble makes sense. It can just be like gyro, optional and not needed for puzzles but a cool way of adding depth to a control scheme. Like Skyrim Switch using HD rumble for lockpicking.

Too bad Lorule was already taken by a link between worlds.
I've actually wondered if places in previous Zelda games like the Twilight Realm and Lorule could make a return..

I mean, them being featured in games that take place post-timesplit doesn't mean they didn't exist before the split, right?

I mean, them being featured in games that take place post-timesplit doesn't mean they didn't exist before the split, right?

Right. The Twili were banished to the Twilight Realm long before the events of Ocarina. And Lorule is a parallel dimension with a history that mirrors Hyrule. They all exist no matter when.

Everybody thought there would be no towns in BotW.

There were seven towns in BotW.

Now the doubters say TotK will have no cities the size of Novigrad.

There are 8 towns in BotW

Kakariko Village
Hateno Village
Rito Village
Goron City
Zora's Domain
Gerudo Town
Lurelin Village
Tarrey Town

😊

You couldn't interact with Novigrad (and its NPCs) that much, sadly. It was a great videogame city for looks and "feel", but it didn't leave a mark on me.
I'm still chasing the high of Majora's Mask clock town.

Edit: if TOTK is the game where they decide to actually go hard on towns/cities, I'll be popping off.

Calling it now. TOTK will have an underwater city like Labrynna Zora Village.
So Nintendo lurkers, if you didn’t implemented it until now I give you a 6 months deadline.

My orgasmic Zelda game would be one that centers around the timeshift stones mechanic and Majora-style NPC quests.

February Direct is basically lock and loaded but if Nintendo feels like they need to put out Zelda something in January to slowly start things going running I could see them just tweeting next month: Tune in for a new ToTK trailer tomorrow! Kinda how they did with Bowser's Fury. ToTK lives with marketing for itself so I could see this happening.

Yes I think this is how they will do it. First of all I don't believe in a Zelda direct at all, it just doesn't fit the type of game it is. But how do you do a so called "blowout" without an E3 show to carry it? A big gameplay trailer at the end of the February Direct is the obvious choice, but maybe just the isolated but hyped in advance trailer drop like Bowser's Fury would do the job. Then, will we see gameplay outside of a trailer? They could do a Treehouse segment, like Live A Live got last year. It all depends on how much they want to show.

My guess is meaty trailer drop with both gameplay and story, for sure. I'm 50/50 on Treehouse or other long gameplay showcase. Either way I feel like this will have to be very unusual.

At least that kid who crashed the GotY award did it this year and not next year when Aonuma and Fujibayashi accept GotY.
If he did it while they were on stage then Reggie woulda noticed someone up there who wasn't supposed to be and then there wouldn't have been all the questions like "where's the event security, Geoff??"

I mean, premiering new footage of the Mario movie isn't nothing, I think Nintendo still sees value in the event, they just didn't want to do Zelda here.
Mario Movie clip, new Bayonetta game, new Fire Emblem trailer, Nintendo actually brought a lot this year!

You couldn't interact with Novigrad (and its NPCs) that much, sadly. It was a great videogame city for looks and "feel", but it didn't leave a mark on me.
I'm still chasing the high of Majora's Mask clock town.

Edit: if TOTK is the game where they decide to actually go hard on towns/cities, I'll be popping off.
I actually agree. I was impressed when I first entered Novigrad - it was exactly what I imagined video game cities would eventually look like back when I played Baldurs Gate II. It keeps up the illusion awhile, which is all that can be expected. But eventually I was just trudging through, listening to the same ambient dialogue while crossing off quest marks. And it was just big enough (and medieval-y enough) for me to constantly be getting lost even dozens of hours into the game. I remember one particular armory or something that I could see on the map but that took me literally an hour to find my way to: I kept circling closer to the icon but couldn’t actually find the damn thing!

There are 8 towns in BotW

Kakariko Village
Hateno Village
Rito Village
Goron City
Zora's Domain
Gerudo Town
Lurelin Village
Tarrey Town

😊
In TotK, you will build a city the size of Novigrad. You will people it with prostitutes, drunken Gorons, and minstrel groups in matching Tingle-wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom