• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now no longer believe it will be there :(

I guess... February now? Life is unending pain.

I don't know if you played the Wii version originally, but the Switch version is much more streamlined. The fact that you can control the bird with the joystick is a huge plus for me. And oh yeah, the dungeon music in SS is the best after Ocarina of Time's too.

Yes indeed!!
I never had a problem with the controlls and actually liked them for the most part. Musically it was really not my jam, mainly because the melodies did nothing for me while the instrumentation was kinda... Eh. I think there was a focus on wind instruments. I just did not like the sound.

Controlls where translated fine. Its the yellow tinted graphics (overall the game tends to brown/yellow tones...the watercolor shading was fine when it worked, which as most of the time), the soundtrack and the horendeus pacing that did not work for me.

Vision this...

Geoff starts talking about the most anticipated game of 2023...The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is confirmed to be the winner
Footage of the September 2022 teaser starts showing; people start feeling sad that it's not new footage...The footage is of when Link is running about to jump off the sky island....The teaser goes into reverse...

The audience gets confused; brand new scenes of Link is shown underground adventuring, crazy monsters and huge areas are shown...The teaser ends with "Tune in January for a full reveal of Tears of the Kingdom".

Vision this...

Geoff starts talking about the most anticipated game of 2023...The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is confirmed to be the winner
Footage of the September 2022 teaser starts showing; people start feeling sad that it's not new footage...The footage is of when Link is running about to jump off the sky island....The teaser goes into reverse...

The audience gets confused; brand new scenes of Link is shown underground adventuring, crazy monsters and huge areas are shown...The teaser ends with "Tune in January for a full reveal of Tears of the Kingdom".

Why do you do this to yourself?

Vision this...

kGpRV5p.jpg

Well we'll know for sure that Nintendo is never again going to be present in a significant capacity at TGA if they don't show a trailer for Zelda. With the game likely winning Most Anticipated Title and it being out in 6 months, the opportunity would certainly be there to create hype into the new year. If they show nothing, they simply don't care about TGA lol.

Well we'll know for sure that Nintendo is never again going to be present in a significant capacity at TGA if they don't show a trailer for Zelda. With the game likely winning Most Anticipated Title and it being out in 6 months, the opportunity would certainly be there to create hype into the new year. If they show nothing, they simply don't care about TGA lol.
Or they might just show something else. Like a third party exclusive or, you know, a new trailer for the next big Nintendo game coming out in a month?

As I reinstall Witcher 3 to prepare for the next-gen patch on PC and booted up AC Odyssey to see the glory of ancient Athens realized in a crisp high fidelity, I still find myself returning to and being lovestruck by simple BotW screenshots. The way the air is filtered, grass rendered, cel-shading blending for a softened image, all designed for the Wii U of all things, it's amazing how much I just want to go back just by seeing this world again.

article_img03_1.jpg

And here we are with the next game, entering the stratosphere, those silly exploits we were able to pull off with 'flying machines' and the abstractions we faced in TP's City in the Sky and Skyward Sword are now realized in a full seamless world, where we can actually explore 'Heaven' - and hopefully 'Hell' as well. I love the mysticism of what they've shown. I'm glad they are reusing this art style with at least one more game.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-screen_05.jpg

The focus on caves in ToTK discussion is kinda funny to me. Yes, I'm aware a lot of people love them and I think a well-implemented cave system can be quite fun to explore

It's just that people saw a fairly unique open world concept in Sky Islands and immediately went "yeah but why can't I go underground"

The focus on caves in ToTK discussion is kinda funny to me. Yes, I'm aware a lot of people love them and I think a well-implemented cave system can be quite fun to explore

It's just that people saw a fairly unique open world concept in Sky Islands and immediately went "yeah but why can't I go underground"

How is this surprising? We saw the setup of extensive underground areas in the first teaser, and people were excited for that. So naturally, when the second teaser only shows gameplay of sky stuff, people want to know if gameplay will actually take place underground as well.

I see something and go there vs i go there and see something.

The former is the way most of BotW worked.
And shure, it will be expanded. But adding some "dread", "unease" by not really knowing what to find while going through clostrophobic places seems like an interesting change of pace.

The closest part in botw was the castle.

So yeah, they will have their twist (the islands), but they are closer to the gameplay we had a ton in botw, so being intrigued by something else seems rather normal to me.

Heck, i just would love to depend more on the map for navigation (sometimes), and underground areas inherently have that.

As I reinstall Witcher 3 to prepare for the next-gen patch on PC and booted up AC Odyssey to see the glory of ancient Athens realized in a crisp high fidelity, I still find myself returning to and being lovestruck by simple BotW screenshots. The way the air is filtered, grass rendered, cel-shading blending for a softened image, all designed for the Wii U of all things, it's amazing how much I just want to go back just by seeing this world again.

article_img03_1.jpg

And here we are with the next game, entering the stratosphere, those silly exploits we were able to pull off with 'flying machines' and the abstractions we faced in TP's City in the Sky and Skyward Sword are now realized in a full seamless world, where we can actually explore 'Heaven' - and hopefully 'Hell' as well. I love the mysticism of what they've shown. I'm glad they are reusing this art style with at least one more game.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-screen_05.jpg
BotW is the poster child of what great art design can do. I'm still floored by how effortlessly alive it looks (and playing it on a plane a while ago felt... otherworldly). Despite adoring quite a few games since, nothing come close to genuinely feeling like a world (Witcher 3 in comparison is one big stage play with cardboard everywhere).

TotK looks to have an identity of it's own - bringing in some of SS's mysticism - while staying within the same general style, but personally I'm kinda done with this Link. Let's hope we'll get some wild new animations, clothing and hair styles.

Re: TGA - they're always in the middle of the night for me, which is just as well because I'm done getting hyped prematurely. I'll read it on my phone when I wake up =P .

BotW is the poster child of what great art design can do. I'm still floored by how effortlessly alive it looks (and playing it on a plane a while ago felt... otherworldly). Despite adoring quite a few games since, nothing come close to genuinely feeling like a world (Witcher 3 in comparison is one big stage play with cardboard everywhere).

TotK looks to have an identity of it's own - bringing in some of SS's mysticism - while staying within the same general style, but personally I'm kinda done with this Link. Let's hope we'll get some wild new animations, clothing and hair styles.

Re: TGA - they're always in the middle of the night for me, which is just as well because I'm done getting hyped prematurely. I'll read it on my phone when I wake up =P .
Playing ahand full of open world(ish) games over on the switch... some did it definitely better then others. Its not just being big. its nailing scale, how stuff far off is rendered, shading, stuff like the haze and blue filter that people where down on in botw, perspective while projecting to the camera, scale of objects (just remember the memes around FF15).
Arceus was fine, Gen 9 is actually a step back, the world sometimes feels smaller then in Arzeus even if its definitely not. SMT5 did actually do great in that regard to make the world feel good even if the character feels fast.
Xenoblade always seems to work well by showing huge vertical beings/constructs/landscapes

Playing ahand full of open world(ish) games over on the switch... some did it definitely better then others. Its not just being big. its nailing scale, how stuff far off is rendered, shading, stuff like the haze and blue filter that people where down on in botw, perspective while projecting to the camera, scale of objects (just remember the memes around FF15).
Arceus was fine, Gen 9 is actually a step back, the world sometimes feels smaller then in Arzeus even if its definitely not. SMT5 did actually do great in that regard to make the world feel good even if the character feels fast.
Xenoblade always seems to work well by showing huge vertical beings/constructs/landscapes
There was a translation of a Japanese presentation Zelda Team gave in which they discussed exactly this: foreground, midground, background. The environment artists were given a few styles & permutations to work with to make sure the world felt suitably readable, atmospheric and large in every weather condition. They even take air humidity into account (which can clearly be seen in Faron for instance).

Also, the cartoony artstyle allows them to make super clear landmarks that orient and ground the player in the world, like Death Mountain, Hyrule Castle, Vah Medoh etc.. It feels so natural, until you play an open world game that doesn't get this and went with a generated looking map.

Much of it comes from the E3 2019 ‘BOTW2 is in development’ trailer that had Zelda holding a torch underground, I suspect.

When Zelda won most anticipated award and just got shrugged off like that, I knew we won't be seeing anything at this show. Just as expected though, meaning it will show up at Nintendo's own event next year.

This proves Nintendo don't see these "big" events as something they need to participate, which I absolutely agree. Directs should be where you expect to see Nintendo showing off their big boy toys from now on.

This proves Nintendo don't see these "big" events as something they need to participate, which I absolutely agree. Directs should be where you expect to see Nintendo showing off their big boy toys from now on.
I mean, premiering new footage of the Mario movie isn't nothing, I think Nintendo still sees value in the event, they just didn't want to do Zelda here.

Vision this...

the way it was kinda like this, but the part where the audience got confused was that the trailer was actually for Horizon DLC

I mean, premiering new footage of the Mario movie isn't nothing, I think Nintendo still sees value in the event, they just didn't want to do Zelda here.
That I agree, but it's a different IMO. We already had 2 full trailers for the Mario movie, as opposed to the 3 very short teasers for TotK. People were expecting a full trailer to kick off the marketing campaign.

Zelda is in May, we've already have 2 teasters. There will be a trailer in the spring direct.
While I would never rule out a trailer at the VGAs, extrapolating how Nintendo values the event on Zelda trailer's prescene or absence seems to speak more to lack of hype-worthy upcoming 1st party Switch releases than anything else.

And that may be an indicator Nintendo has shifted developed to the new platform.
In terms of number of announcements, there was more than one tonight including new footage from the Mario movie, when some people predicted none. And it's certainly more than prior years.

I'm still haunted by the clouds immediately after the most anticipated award. What timing.
Even that thing Aloy was flying on, I saw that and thought "ancient mechanical Sheikah Loftwing????"

Like my brain wanted it to be TotK, even as I was looking right at Aloy flying a metal bird. 😅

Even that thing Aloy was flying on, I saw that and thought "ancient mechanical Sheikah Loftwing????"

Like my brain wanted it to be TotK, even as I was looking right at Aloy flying a metal bird. 😅
As soon as clouds appeared I knew something was off, it was not ToTK clouds (I watched the second and last teaser like hundered times so I know how they look like). But my mind was like: this is ToTK. Well played Geoff.

As soon as clouds appeared I knew something was off, it was not ToTK clouds (I watched the second and last teaser like hundered times so I know how they look like). But my mind was like: this is ToTK. Well played Geoff.
I noticed the clouds looked a bit too heavy as well but no joke, my brain went "maybe it's Drake footage" 😅

Honestly, what if there is a January Direct this time? (I know FE releases later in the month) but it could work. I seriously doubt that they are waiting till February.
I hope so, but I kinda doubt it. The February Direct has been locked in for a long time now.

I noticed the clouds looked a bit too heavy as well but no joke, my brain went "maybe it's Drake footage" 😅

There was a pre release CG trailer for Skyward Sword, when I saw the clouds I almost thought they made one for TotK, even though they don't need to since the game's visuals hold up fine on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom