• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How in the world is this “Trial of the Master Sword” in BotW even possible? 54 floors and I was wiped out at the 7th lol
it's sooooo good. It really uses almost every mechanic and system the game has to offer.

It’s those darn water lizalfos and their on-point bow shots. The moment I fell in the water right at the beginning I knew I was done for.
If you're playing on Master Mode, this room is legendary for being near impossible.

I didn't play it on Master Mode, but even then, I felt the Beginner Trails were the hardest ones.

RE: Quest design.
Well, it sucks that Red Dead does that lockout thing, but the sort of, evolving quest design that Irene is talking about is handled in an openish-world really well in the Xenoblade games. IE, quests lead to other quests, eventually forming an interlocking network of relationships between characters that grows over time.

So I've said a few times I'm hoping for a gold or at least gold-trimmed Drake to coincide with Zelda, but I just had a thought..

When BotW came out, a lot of the merch with it was based more around the Sheikah Eye, because that was a really prominent/important thing in the game. So now that we have a logo and are starting to get a handle on the visual presentation and stuff of TotK, I'm starting to fear that if we do get a Zelda-themed Drake, it'll be more Zonai-inspired design rather than the classic golden Triforce or golden Hylian Crest.

I'm worried I may have been waiting all this time for something that isn't what I've wanted. 😅

My problem was that I kept running out of weapons. So I have to start just bombing everything, but their health regenerates, so.. 🙃

There are enough weapons, trust me.

You just need to be strategic. Use sneak attacks to kill in one hit, use headshots, use bombs as much as you can then use weapons to finish them off, use parry to defend,search the environment for weapons.

So I've said a few times I'm hoping for a gold or at least gold-trimmed Drake to coincide with Zelda, but I just had a thought..

When BotW came out, a lot of the merch with it was based more around the Sheikah Eye, because that was a really prominent/important thing in the game. So now that we have a logo and are starting to get a handle on the visual presentation and stuff of TotK, I'm starting to fear that if we do get a Zelda-themed Drake, it'll be more Zonai-inspired design rather than the classic golden Triforce or golden Hylian Crest.

I'm worried I may have been waiting all this time for something that isn't what I've wanted. 😅
Yeah sorry but I think you’re right, the switch case and water bottle I got on day one release of BotW and the console are both Sheikah eyes 😅

I think it’ll absolutely be Zonai dragon logo-looking stuff for TOTK merch.

The Hylian Shield and Crest is more of a catch all for Zelda merch, not tied to one specific game imo. Anything that comes out specifically for TOTK will use it’s own unique imagery.

So I’ve spent a few moments now thinking about aerial combat.
Again.

And I came up with a scenario. Imagine in the sky, nothing but small chunks of rock around you. A giant, flying serpent is in front of you. Rain falls. A thunderstorm roars in the distance. A boss theme that's beyond epic is playing.

The serpent strikes. You jump to the side, paraglide. You realize you’re under a rock, you phase upwards in mid-air, towards it. Knowing that you’re now behind the serpent, you press a button while inside the rock to launch, rather than emerge, yourself out of the rock. In mid-air, you aim your bow in slow-mo and shoot a few shots at the serpent's back.

The serpent wails, and turns around, with bare fangs, ready to strike. But you’re one step ahead. You skydive down, until you’re under it. You pull out your arm’s hookshot, and hook at the serpent’s tip of its tail. You launch yourself up in a graceful arc until you’re above it. You paraglide down and land on top of the serpent, behind its head. Standing there, you get a few hits in on its weak point.

The serpent catches on, but you’re again one step ahead of it, quickly jumping down and paragliding away, until you’re under a rock. Phasing through it, again in mid-air, you emerge. The serpent soars upward, towards you. No time to think, you hookshot to the side of a larger rock diagonally upwards before the serpent’s strike hits. You paraglide over the serpent, and when over it, you enter slow-mo and shoot a hail of arrows down at it, to lure it up.

The serpent emerges with its head, so you skydive down to a rock underneath it. Now, you have a clean shot - the serpent turns its head around and advances, so you phase through air towards a rock above you, and toss a spear at the serpent, mid-phase. The serpent gets hit and gets paralyzed for a while. Emerging on the rock above you, you calculate what to do next before the serpent regains consciousness.

But before anything happens, you hear an electrocuting sound, and you paraglide away from the rock you’re standing on, as a metal object nearby was about to attract a thunderstrike. The serpent now looks up at you, and you have to paraglide quickly. Realizing that you’re running out of time, you drop, skydive down, past the serpent, and below it, you fire arrow shots in slow-mo up at it. Then, you pull out the hookshot, hookshot the tail of the serpent, and pull it down towards you.

When you’re both about to collide, you swipe at the serpent with your sword in mid-air at point-blank range, and as the sword hits, it tumbles down. You narrowly miss it, and it falls faster than you towards the ground below you both, since it’s heavier. So you fire your hookshot at it, pull yourself towards it, and land another sword strike - the fatal strike. You pull out your paraglider as you watch the serpent land on the ground below you. You land safely beside it.
Victory.

Again.

And I came up with a scenario. Imagine in the sky, nothing but small chunks of rock around you. A giant, flying serpent is in front of you. Rain falls. A thunderstorm roars in the distance. A boss theme that's beyond epic is playing.

The serpent strikes. You jump to the side, paraglide. You realize you’re under a rock, you phase upwards in mid-air, towards it. Knowing that you’re now behind the serpent, you press a button while inside the rock to launch, rather than emerge, yourself out of the rock. In mid-air, you aim your bow in slow-mo and shoot a few shots at the serpent's back.

The serpent wails, and turns around, with bare fangs, ready to strike. But you’re one step ahead. You skydive down, until you’re under it. You pull out your arm’s hookshot, and hook at the serpent’s tip of its tail. You launch yourself up in a graceful arc until you’re above it. You paraglide down and land on top of the serpent, behind its head. Standing there, you get a few hits in on its weak point.

The serpent catches on, but you’re again one step ahead of it, quickly jumping down and paragliding away, until you’re under a rock. Phasing through it, again in mid-air, you emerge. The serpent soars upward, towards you. No time to think, you hookshot to the side of a larger rock diagonally upwards before the serpent’s strike hits. You paraglide over the serpent, and when over it, you enter slow-mo and shoot a hail of arrows down at it, to lure it up.

The serpent emerges with its head, so you skydive down to a rock underneath it. Now, you have a clean shot - the serpent turns its head around and advances, so you phase through air towards a rock above you, and toss a spear at the serpent, mid-phase. The serpent gets hit and gets paralyzed for a while. Emerging on the rock above you, you calculate what to do next before the serpent regains consciousness.

But before anything happens, you hear an electrocuting sound, and you paraglide away from the rock you’re standing on, as a metal object nearby was about to attract a thunderstrike. The serpent now looks up at you, and you have to paraglide quickly. Realizing that you’re running out of time, you drop, skydive down, past the serpent, and below it, you fire arrow shots in slow-mo up at it. Then, you pull out the hookshot, hookshot the tail of the serpent, and pull it down towards you.

When you’re both about to collide, you swipe at the serpent with your sword in mid-air at point-blank range, and as the sword hits, it tumbles down. You narrowly miss it, and it falls faster than you towards the ground below you both, since it’s heavier. So you fire your hookshot at it, pull yourself towards it, and land another sword strike - the fatal strike. You pull out your paraglider as you watch the serpent land on the ground below you. You land safely beside it.
Victory.

This assumes that I dodge the first serpent strike though.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I would still be excited for a Zonai themed Zelda special edition console. I am still surprised and disappointed that the OG switch and Switch Lite never got a Zelda themed special edition.

Again.

Victory.

Replace the serpent with the Helmaroc King and you're golden. I'm a sucker for games bringing back stuff from older games.

That is a great find! The "bell" (or broom) on the stone golem's front has eluded me for a long time, and it might indeed be linked to the sound in the trailer.

I've entertained an idea for TotK for a long time - to have a string of multiple quests tied to a specific person or location. In RDR2, there's, say, a spot on the map saying "Sadie wants to talk to you". Then you do her quest, and later, another quest comes up concerning her, and builds upon the previous quest.. etc. Like Tarrey Town, but tied to people, and their personal development.
To me, I have always thought the green, what appears to be dragon, has always been friendly and is there as a gate keeper. Here is a picture of the bell that matches his symbol identically.
2665833465_e358533a76_o.jpg

When approaching a shrine you ring the bell to notify the Gods you have arrived. So it’s my guess that he is the keeper of the bell and probably makes the determination if you are worthy to speak with the Gods or something similar to that effect. With what we know from the last patent regarding portals, I wouldn’t be surprised if we ring said bell with the help of our green dragon friend to enter a portal to the sacred realm.

I am still stuck on the vials and what they are used for, but from our collective reasoning on the bell symbol in the last post, I had one additional thought. If we need to prove our worthiness before entering the portal to a sacred realm, perhaps we have 7 trials we need to overcome, like calming a giant tornado, or fixing the malice coming out of Death Mountain etc, I have read a lot of people theorizing the 7 spirals tear drop symbols in the opening artwork represent a possible link to 7 dungeons we would need to accomplish but there are 8 vial slots. So instead of dungeons maybe they represent our worthiness and how many trials we have completed with the 8th being one we need to accomplish in the sacred realm. That would be something that Link would actually wear.

image0.jpg

More spitballing - what if Link charges his arm by directly injecting himself via the 'socket' on his hand? Ouch.

This is also the first time I noticed a component of his gauntlet being that same green stone color as the 'eyegore'.

Guessing there are some abilities like phasing that directly use spirit energy, his arm glows when he does that. But only the portion surrounding his hand glows when he's using time rewind, and it's yellow instead of green. I know most of it's covered by his outfit in the second pic, but his fingers are exposed and they don't glow green. It's identical to that footage from the delay announcement, the symbol on his gauntlet glows yellow, the rest of his arm remains Malice-melted color.

E38BtgfX0AAmWZh

Breath-of-the-Wild-2-rewind-time.jpg

FPBvTPRXIAE-f60.jpg

I very much enjoyed that video and probably has one of my favorite theories so far about who the mystery figure is.

Basically, the figure would be to Link what Hylia is to Zelda and what Demise is to Ganondorf. The logo features dragons, which is what the Zonai used to represent courage, according to Creating a Champion.

it's sooooo good. It really uses almost every mechanic and system the game has to offer.

Definitely do not refute that it’s good, but it is not for the faint of heart. It’s Eventide Island on steroids. Play skillfully or die trying.

If you're playing on Master Mode, this room is legendary for being near impossible.

I didn't play it on Master Mode, but even then, I felt the Beginner Trails were the hardest ones.

I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult it would be on Master Mode. Don’t think I’ll ever beat it on regular mode, much less MM. And I’m okay with that lol

Anyone here ever play the Master Trials in Master Mode?

I didn't find them too difficult after getting use to Master Mode, but Floor 10 of the Beginning Trials is insanity in Master Mode, it's easily the hardest challenge of the entire Master Trials, and there are multiple videos dedicated to beating that floor only.

In my opinion, Floor 10 of the Beginning Trials in Master Mode is the hardest challenge in BOTW.

I bet TotK will do a Master Trials equivalent.

Last edited:
Anyone here ever play the Master Trials in Master Mode?

I didn't find them too difficult after getting use to Master Mode, but Floor 10 of the Beginning Trials is insanity in Master Mode, it's easily the hardest challenge of the entire Master Trials, and there are multiple videos dedicated to beating that floor only.

In my opinion, Floor 10 of the Beginning Trials in Master Mode is the hardest challenge in BOTW.

I bet TotK will do a Master Trials equivalent.

I actually had an easier time doing the Trials of the Sword in Master Mode than I did in Normal Mode, for some reason.

--- Poetry on the carvings--
"When the sun shines, the moon shines."
"When the moon shines, the stars shine."
"When the sun sets, the moon turns red."
"Daylight comes and goes, but the sun never shines."

Gates-To-The-Golden-Land.jpg

Someone brought up the point that the reason that Link is climbing the vine in teaser 3 is that the rock on the islands will be unclimbable, like the Sheikah Shrine walls. And the clip was there to sort of suggest it.

Would this be true? Do you think climbing the "walls" of the sky islands would be too OP? (For lack of a better word)

Someone brought up the point that the reason that Link is climbing the vine in teaser 3 is that the rock on the islands will be unclimbable, like the Sheikah Shrine walls. And the clip was there to sort of suggest it.

Would this be true? Do you think climbing the "walls" of the sky islands would be too OP? (For lack of a better word)
I don't think this is necessarily true either because Link climbs a rock thats from the sky when he uses his "time" ability on it to get to new heights

I personally think some of the islands walls will be unclimbable to allow for more designed challenges. But not every island will have these walls.

If the sky islands are this games shrines (isolated puzzle areas), this would almost have to be a requirement.

I don't think this is necessarily true either because Link climbs a rock thats from the sky when he uses his "time" ability on it to get to new heights

I personally think some of the islands walls will be unclimbable to allow for more designed challenges. But not every island will have these walls.

I believe so too, I could imagine a lot of islands be designed challenges actually. Like, you see a large one in the distance, swoop down to it, and if it were BotW, a Sheikah monk would say that "this is a trial", and then some conditions would be set up, and the challenge would take action.

But in TotK, where we won't have Sheikah monks, there will be other ways to introduce designed challenges.

The sky islands we’re seeing in the sky though isn’t the whole story. There’s a sky that goes beyond even those. We see it in the trailers when Link is diving through the clouds and then the world below become visible once he pierces through them. Sound familiar? It’s literally Skyward Sword.

Imo, TotK will be divided into five vertical layers. Here are those layers with some thoughts and theories attached. From top-to-bottom:

-Layer 1: The Heavens. The place where the goddesses Nayru, Farore, and Din ascended to after creating the earth and leaving behind the Triforce in their wake. Hylia likely resides there, too. I think the goddesses themselves will task Link to gather a physical manifestation of their tears that will be needed to vanquish Ganon/Demise forever.

-Layer 2: The Sky Kingdom a.k.a Skyloft (?) This is the world above the clouds that isn’t visible from Hyrule. I think this will be the starting point of the game, likely following the event we saw in the first trailer with the corpse. At Skyloft resides what is left of the Zonai, who I believe are ancient Hylians that stayed behind and never made their home on The Surface. The goddesses blessed them with wisdom and technology that they would teach to The Surface Hylians. I think there was a falling out at some point between the two tribes and what we see depicted in the murals on the last trailer are the Zonai and Hylians making a new pact, but at a price….

Layer 3: The Sky Islands. These are the islands we’ve seen in the trailers. They’re floating above Hyrule but beneath the significantly higher Sky Kingdom.

-Layer 4: Hyrule. Not much else to say here. We all know it :)

-Layer 5: The Underground a.k.a. Demise’s Kingdom (I refuse to relinquish this theory until I’m proven otherwise lol). This is the world beneath Hyrule where Demise and his demonic armies used to reside before attacking The Surface and waging war against the Goddess Hylia in an attempt to obtain the Triforce. I think Link and Zelda learn of the kingdom and go down to investigate to find a way to destroy the malice for good. Their investigation leads them to Ganondorf’s—maybe Demise’s, but very unlikely—corpse as being the main culprit. Link probably tried to stop it with The Master Sword, but the evil is too strong even for the blade of evil’s bane. The Master Sword AND Link’s arm take significant damage. Zelda is lost deeper into Demise’s Kingdom, Link is somehow transported to Skyloft, and Ganondorf/Demise’s Malice implodes and changes the very landscape of Hyrule.

Last edited:
I really can't wait to see what evolution they have in store for us when it comes to dungeon design.

Links move set and abilities have so much potential already.

I really hope they have a cool map. Making a map with ascending through the sky could turn out very cool.
This is actually an interesting point. How do you make a map with a bunch of random islands floating above the main land? I guess you could do layers but I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same 3D type map as the Divine Beasts

This would be a goooooood excuse to bring back the hookshot 👀

My expectations after the 6 year gap between this and BotW are honestly pretty high.

I don’t know if they are going to meet them, but I’m quite intrigued by the differences between games, considering they have avoided to show a lot of gameplay.

It’s kind of odd to me to have the name and exact release date with 3 short teasers 🤔

Though, in regards to climbable islands, looking at Trailer 3, some of the island sides looks really sleek and slippery. Certainly not like natural rock.

Though, in regards to climbable islands, looking at Trailer 3, some of the island sides looks really sleek and slippery. Certainly not like natural rock.

I think there's definitely gonna be some island you can't climb on the sides of.

Made this a while back, UX improvement concept for Rune/Ability menu:

edgIm9a.png

The inline list makes a lot more sense for weapons since the number of weapons isn't constant, and can get quite large. But for the Runes, since the number doesn't really change, a radial menu would make selecting abilities a lot quicker.

It's because the hype train hasn't started yet. Nintendo is pushing those little teasers to give us minimal info and keep the hype low until a full-blown reveal in several months. Low hype for too long might be boring, but high hype for too long is tiring and it's not like we don't have any other Nintendo games in the meantime to make up for it.
It's just not yet the time for it. For companies, the optimal is for the hype to be the highest on the day of release, not before it.
It all happens so quickly nowadays. We can make an argument that TotK was announced too soon. But look at games like Xenoblade 3. Announced 5 months before release, full reveal in a dedicated direct 1 month before release then daily mini info on Twitter until release. Cycles of hype are just that short now.

We might get some special gloves this time that allow us to climb them. I’m in the camp we Won’t be able to climb them at least initially to make the adjacent ones harder to reach. We did see that cable in the trailer as well which suggests it won’t be easy to island hop. Also I haven’t really seen anyone take a stab at why the bottom of the islands don’t seem natural as most have pointed bottoms along with what looks like man made items on the bottom of some of them. It appears to be a mixture of technology and natural rock formation.

I kinda have a hard time thinking Hyrule Castle will be the final dungeon again. As in... the exact same Hyrule Castle. Just... in the sky a bit.

I'm hoping that by the end of the game, Hyrule Castle has morphed into Ganon's Castle, like in OoT.

FeHjzC2WYAAdMv9

FeHjzC3XoAAIJAI

Last edited:
I think Hyrule Castle could work as a half of a final dungeon, where the second half is what's underneath it, a.k.a Ganon's Tower or something. I think it could be cool to land on it from the sky, and work your way downwards.

It finally happened, I've dreamt about this game last night.

Let's just say I'm glad my subconscious isn't in charge of this game's design.

I can't wait for the first clip of Aerial Combat for everyone to go Bananas. Interestingly, that's already the direction was heading when DLC added all those floating platforms with enemies.

If they nail it, I think it has potential to be truly revolitionary. Day 2 people will be asking for a Kid Icarus Spin-off using the same engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom