• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just the FIRST line she said. She is talking in the background without subtitles later in the scene. You can't hear her well in English, but in Japanese and German you can clearly understand what she is saying. I'm German I can absolutelly confirm this for the German version.
Can you provide evidence that she references Wind Waker in the original Japanese?

Not seeing it anywhere in here

EDIT: Nevermind I see the line about crossing seas. Interesting

WELP merged timeline it is hahaha

Can you provide evidence that she references Wind Waker in the original Japanese?

Not seeing it anywhere in here

EDIT: Nevermind I see the line about crossing seas. Interesting

WELP merged timeline it is hahaha

Yep.
"Zelda

æ”·ă‚’è¶Šăˆ ç„žăźäœœă‚Œă—é»„é‡‘ăź ă‚’æ±‚ă‚ă‚“æ™‚

You cross the seas when you seek the gold made by the gods"

Remember "A Link to the Past" is called "Triforce of the Gods" in Japanese. And the Triforce is also called "Golden Power" in ALttP. So "seek the gold made by the gods" is a ALttP reference. In German this line was translated as "make a link to the past" ("eine Verbindung mit der Vergagenheit eingeht")

Stuff I want so see from the Dungeons in TotK:

Story relevant Dungeons:

Nintendo has probably the best level designers in the business and I want to see them tackle new dungeons again. These should not be optional to allow for a more designed difficulty curve and to set itself apart from BotW.

Hyrule Castle should be the blue print for these. Hyrule Castle was a top tier dungeon level design wise and perfectly complemented BotW's gameplay style.

They should be big, temple like in structure. Mini-Bosses should also make a comeback.

Rewards: unique abilities and power ups like for example a Hook Shot.

Amount of Dungeons: 7-10

Optional Dungeons:

These would be more in the line of a traditional dungeon in the vein of all the bigger, more intricate shrines in BotW when it comes to size. Maybe a little bit bigger. The entrance could be a cave, a ruin or a rock formation. Basically something you either see from a distance or stumble upon.

Example: You go into a ruin, just for you to fall down through a trap door on the ground. Now you have to get up again but a mischievous Bokoblin boss has the key and the walls are unclimbable. Find him and get out.

Rewards: Upgrade points you can invest into your gear/weaponry or abilities you get from dungeons or other unique rewards like bag upgrades.

Amount of Dungeons: 30-40

Shrine-likes:

These are your shrine like mini dungeons.
They can basically be anything the developer wants them to be. Skill based challenges, riddles, navigation challenges, platforming, etc. Whatever they can come up with. Go wild Nintendo.

Rewards: the Spirit Orb equivalent that directly alters your character. Like health, stamina, magic.

Amount: 60-70

One optional Super Dungeon:

Basically a big underground dungeon that gets deeper and deeper. Like the Master Trials or traditional 50 floor challenges but not as linear. You can get checkpoints and you can get back to them anytime you want.

Reward: maybe a flying mount and a unique armor

Remember "A Link to the Past" is called "Triforce of the Gods" in Japanese. And the Triforce is also called "Golden Power" in ALttP. So "seek the gold made by the gods" is a ALttP reference.
That one I don't agree with. It's just wind waker. The Triforce being Golden and made by Gods is referenced in many games. That's not exclusive to A Link to the Past.

I have to disagree about it being more fun, from my own experience I have found limitless exploration in 3D rather dull. If there are secrets to be found in the environment by navigating then I really hope they require some planning and thinking to find out, if all obstacles would be avoidable by infinite flight there wouldn't be a challenge in them anymore.

It comes down to preference though, I really like the breakable weapon mechanics as well and was never bothered in games by stamina meters or time challenges.

Still, infinite float is always better than infinite flight ofcourse but I expect there will be a difference in the game between the 2. I wonder how they will tackle it.
I agree that having constraints makes exploration more fun. However, the paraglider is already constrained by the fact that you are constantly lowering in height. You can always gain 3 wheels of stamina or use stamina regen potions to fly infinitely, but there will always only be a certain distance you can go.
totk_trailer-screen_september01.jpg

If you look at the general layout of the sky islands, they mostly seem to be at a somewhat similar height, and very spread out. Unless they are close together, you aren't going to be able to paraglide between them, even with infinite stamina. You might not even be able to access Hyrule Castle with a paraglider alone.

Infinite stamina during gliding does let you skip more of the surface, but we've already explored the surface of Hyrule in BotW. There will obviously be a lot of changes in TotK, but a lot of it will still be pretty similar, so we might not need to explore every nook and cranny again. And if TotK also has a focus on underground and underwater exploration, infinite gliding stamina won't do anything to effect those.

Overall, infinite stamina will make using the paraglider in the sky islands more forgiving, and could open the door for more aerial combat.

That one I don't agree with. It's just wind waker. The Triforce being Golden and made by Gods is referenced in many games. That's not exclusive to A Link to the Past.
So why do every European translation translated it as a ALttP reference? If they would just translate it normally they would have translated it as "search for the Gold of the Gods" but instead they choose to translate it as "and make a Link/connection to the past"? It's absolutelly a ALttP reference with a noite for the translators that this is a reference and they should translate it as such. The German translation in BotW is absolutelly close to the Japanese script, so it would be weird to just change and add a reference which was not there in the Original.

I disagree. A bar under the hearts, like in the Souls games, would be much less obtrusive. Always seeing that green circle next to Link gets annoying.
I think the circle is perfect as it is, it's much easier to keep track of your stamina meanwhile it would be way harder under the hearts. I have never been able to properly check it in a dark soul game when your eyes are primarily on your character and the boss.

So why do every European translation translated it as a ALttP reference? If they would just translate it normally they would have translated it as "search for the Gold of the Gods" but instead they choose to translate it as "and make a Link/connection to the past"? It's absolutelly a ALttP reference with a noite for the translators that this is a reference and they should translate it as such. The German translation in BotW is absolutelly close to the Japanese script, so it would be weird to just change and add a reference which was not there in the Original.
I'm not denying that the European translators decided it was an ALTTP reference, just as the American translators apparently decided it wasn't. I don't see anything in the Japanese that seems specific to ALTTP.

"You cross the seas when you seek the gold made by the gods" is exactly what happens in Wind Waker, not ALTTP. The Triforce is called the Golden Power and the Sacred Golden Triangles and the Power of the Gods in Wind Waker too. The Triforce being "gold made by the gods" is referenced in many games.

Funny because I see people say it’s not good because of its placement next to Link.

Mainly it's good because of that, and many other things. It's perfeclty crafted and it hardly can be improved in any significant way.

It does not only communicates precise information about your stamina reserves in the most efficient way possible, but also it is able to communicate how some tasks are more "heavier" than others and suposse an extra effor for Link (with the big white chunks depleting from it when you push yourself up while climbing, for exemple). Also, its placement allows for your eyes to be always focused in the action without the need to look away from it. It's so ridiculous well made that it even is secretely thought for color blind people without the need of any accesibility menu. It's a masterful example of doing so much with so little.

@Ced Naru linked video explains it perfectly.

Last edited:
I'm not denying that the European translators decided it was an ALTTP reference, just as the American translators apparently decided it wasn't. I don't see anything in the Japanese that seems specific to ALTTP.

"You cross the seas when you seek the gold made by the gods" is exactly what happens in Wind Waker, not ALTTP. The Triforce is called the Golden Power and the Sacred Golden Triangles and the Power of the Gods in Wind Waker too. The Triforce being "gold made by the gods" is referenced in many games.

The English localization is the one who changed A LOT of stuff in the dialogues, the European ones are very close to the Japanese script. And why would multible languages choose to translate it as an ALttP reference? Based on how translation of games work, there was most likely a note attached to this dialogue "You have to translate this lines as a reference to XYZ". That's how games which a lot of references work.

The English localization is the one who changed A LOT of stuff in the dialogues, the European ones are very close to the Japanese script. And why would multible languages choose to translate it as an ALttP reference? Based on how translation of games work, there was most likely a note attached to this dialogue "You have to translate this lines as a reference to XYZ". That's how games which a lot of references work.
I understand it's that way in the German version, what other versions have it? I'm not sure why only some European countries and no one else would get a note like that. Seems like total speculation.

If the Japanese text actually said "The Triforce of the Gods," which is the name of the game, it'd be convincing. Instead... it's literally describing the plot of the Wind Waker using phrases that are in the Wind Waker. Is there any reason to think that sentence is supposed to be two separate thoughts in the Japanese?

Same.

It's unreal that this is a thing now. I spent time thinking about "BotW2" every day for the past three years, and now name, date and a new teaser is in out hands.
Same for me, except all I was saying 3 weeks ago as we were starving for info at the time was, “just give me a name and a release date and I’ll be good.” And of course that lasted me about 2 days of being content. We are at least in a better spot than we were for BOTW when we didn’t even know when,for certain, BOTW was going to come out until January, 2 months beforehand. That was way too stressful, and probably why I basically passed out with relief after seeing 03-03-2017 at the end of the launch trailer.

Another cool idea someone had, and they even drew concept art of it, that I sadly couldn't find -

Wallrunning. Basically, if you paraglide against a wall, you can press a button to wallrun a certain distance, with the glider in one hand, as long as you have stamina, and then finish it off by leaping off to the side and attack.

Another cool idea someone had, and they even drew concept art of it, that I sadly couldn't find -

Wallrunning. Basically, if you paraglide against a wall, you can press a button to wallrun a certain distance, with the glider in one hand, as long as you have stamina, and then finish it off by leaping off to the side and attack.

Is this the one you mention?

I had this idea too, but with Zelda. Maybe if Zelda is playable, she or the player will train to be a Sheikah ninja, I.e. Sheik. Having the ability to wall run a few steps could be one of the differences between Link and Zelda.

My take on Zelda’s ceremonial speech referencing all three timelines is that the parts referring to ALttP and TWW that are talked over—and thus not subtitled and not intended for the player to clearly hear—are simply meant to be fun references, while the earlier parts referring to SS, OoT, and TP that are featured front and center, subtitled, and clearly meant for the player to hear and focus on are the actual relevant lines to the canon. And this would imply that the game takes place on the Child Timeline 10,000+ years after FSA.

The amiibo and DLC items certainly aren’t meant to be canonical, otherwise the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 outfit would be as well. And everything else that references the Adult and Downfall Timelines are also firmly in simple reference/Easter egg territory, like minor location names. The Rock Salt? Nothing implies that it absolutely came from the Great Sea, just some ancient sea, which could just as easily be the Lanayru Sea from the past of SS.

But the most compelling references to past games seem to all align with the Child Timeline. You have Zelda’s speech references SS, OoT, and TP; Darmani from MM being physically featured in a Goron rock carving; the fact that both Gorons and Gerudo exist (while in the Adult Timeline, the Gerudo aren’t around anymore, and in the Downfall Timeline the Gorons seem to have mixed with Hylians by ALBW and eventually disappear as well—and the same could arguably be said about the Sheikah, too); the fact that there’s yet another Ganondorf (as seen in TotK) while the only timeline to feature multiple Ganondorfs reincarnated rather than the same Ganon simply being revived is the Child Timeline; and the fact that the Triforce has faded into obscurity and seems to be an innate possession of Zelda rather than a physical object, which aligns best with the Child Timeline where the Triforce was never disturbed since being sealed away after SS and only briefly came into Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf’s possession in TP due to divine intervention and alternate timeline weirdness (as for how Zelda came to possess the whole thing, we can’t say for sure, but neither of the other timelines offer an explanation for this either). There are probably other things that I’m forgetting at the moment, too.

So yeah, I’m a firm believer of BotW (and TotK by extension) taking place on the Child Timeline, at least based on the information we have currently. Surely there will be a time when Nintendo’s ready to reveal the exact timeline placement, though, and I eagerly look forward to that day.

Quoted by: Tye
Yall need to stop tempting me to rewrite my multiple paragraph essay about all the reasons why BotW is in the Downfall Timeline and supporting evidence from both the game and developer interviews.

I don't think I can emotionally handle it. đŸ€Ł

I think they will never reveal the timeline placement :)

Because they made it so obvious that it's the downfall timeline that they just expected you to know

Because they made it so obvious that it's the downfall timeline that they just expected you to know
I mean yeah

Aonuma literally said in an interview "it takes place in the timeline where Ganon has been defeated and resurrected multiple times" and that's only the Downfall Timeline. And the DT is also the only timeline where the Triforce is known to be not only in tact, but in control of the Royal Family (explaining why Zelda has the whole damn thing in BotW), as seen in the instruction manual stories and illustrations in the early DT Zeldas.

And I forget if Aonuma or Fujibayashi said it (I'm thinking Aonuma) but the Rito in BotW are not the same Rito as WW. They're a totally different race based on a bird people that appeared in the OoT manga, as can be seen by the fact that they have actual birdlike wings and beaks (like the OoT manga) instead of normal arms with wings sprouting from their elbows, and little break noses with otherwise normal faces. So the Rito being in BotW does not mean it has to be post-WW, because then the Zora and their long history would not be present in BotW.

And as I had pointed out last week (or so), the Koroks were a gameplay-focused addition later on, as the game was initially meant to feature the Kokiri (the forest dweller weapons/equipment were originally Kokiri weapons/equipment) up until they decided to include the Koroks for gameplay reasons, which creates a continuity issue with it being DT but it stands to reason that if the Koroks were not initially intended to be featured and the Kokiri were, that means the Koroks do not stand up as proof of the intended timeline placement.

Plus I noticed a lot of music cues that seemed to be taken from the old DT Zeldas, and the title graphic in Japan is a recreation of the original used in the very first Zelda, which was DT...

Dammit I said I wasn't gonna do this 😅

If that was the case there’d be no reason for them to be hiding its exact placement on timeline on their official website and all. =P

What’s so obvious about it potentially taking place in the Downfall Timeline, though? All I ever really see is people claiming similarities in theming and all with the original TLoZ
which doesn’t necessarily mean anything when it comes to the timeline.

Is this the one you mention?

It would definitely lend credence to the idea that you won’t be able to climb up the sides of the island walls. Any surface you can’t climb you could automatically go into a run position while holding the paraglider. Sign me up!

i’m beginning to think there might be a pretty steep learning curve on all the crazy things we are going to be able to do in the sky, between the patents, concept art from CAC and fan art. I’m trying to temper my expectations but you all make so difficult, in a good way!

If that was the case there’d be no reason for them to be hiding its exact placement on timeline on their official website and all. =P
Aonuma said they definitely know where they placed it, but that once the game was out and they saw all the passionate fan theories floating about they decided against revealing its placement because they didn't want to stifle that conversation.

But again, what he said in a pre-release interview about the placement pretty clearly points to the DT.

I mean yeah

Aonuma literally said in an interview "it takes place in the timeline where Ganon has been defeated and resurrected multiple times" and that's only the Downfall Timeline. And the DT is also the only timeline where the Triforce is known to be not only in tact, but in control of the Royal Family (explaining why Zelda has the whole damn thing in BotW), as seen in the instruction manual stories and illustrations in the early DT Zeldas.
To be fair, that quote can potentially refer to any timeline, because we simply don’t know how many times Ganon was resurrected and defeated in the 10,000+ year pre-BotW history of Hyrule. And regardless of that, it could still fit the Child Timeline, too, if “resurrected” may also mean “reincarnated” (I’d be interested in knowing what the original Japanese text for this interview says) since the Child Timeline is the only one in which Ganondorf is actually reincarnated.

And the Royal Family possessing the Triforce still doesn’t explain the state of it in BotW. Unlike any of the games in the Downfall Timeline where the Triforce is clearly represented as a physical object in the realm of Hyrule and is very well known and revered, the Triforce as it was known in the Downfall Timeline seems to be essentially completely forgotten, with it never being mentioned by name and Zelda herself doesn’t even seem to fully understand how to harness its power or where this power even comes from. There’s not really an explicit explanation for that in any of the three timelines.

Plus I noticed a lot of music cues that seemed to be taken from the old DT Zeldas, and the title graphic in Japan is a recreation of the original used in the very first Zelda, which was DT...
I think most of this just comes down to BotW capturing the essence of the original TLoZ with its open exploration and all; there’s nothing to suggest that any of it actually has timeline relevance.

Aonuma said they definitely know where they placed it, but that once the game was out and they saw all the passionate fan theories floating about they decided against revealing its placement because they didn't want to stifle that conversation.

But again, what he said in a pre-release interview about the placement pretty clearly points to the DT.
Yeah, I agree with the first part; it seems that Nintendo is clearly being vague with its exact placement to allow the fans to have fun with speculation for a period of time like we used to before the full official timeline was revealed (but like I’ve said before, even then the only big mysteries about the timeline were where OoS/OoA and FSA take place, and how exactly ALttP and its following games are supposed to connect to OoT), but as I said above, I feel like the Child Timeline has the most compelling in-game evidence to support it. Like, it’s literally spelled out for us in Zelda’s speech. If they already had decided on a timeline placement when finishing the game and only decided to be vague about its placement afterwards, then there’d be no reason for them to be trying to fake people out or obscure things when it comes to the explicit Child Timeline references in Zelda’s speech (which, as I pointed out, is the only bit that’s put front and center for the player to hear, while the ALttP and TWW references are just filler that isn’t supposed to be focused on).

Thanks for reminding me of this, found the interview text:

And where does this Zelda fit on the series' timeline, in its chronology, split as that is into three separate yet connected branches?
I wouldn't say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you'll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there's a woman's voice, and she says: "The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon." And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there's food for thought there. I don't want to say anything more as I'd like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think.

Also - I'm recalling the Zora tablet that describes Ruto:

History of the Zora, Part Five
The Sage Princess Ruto
As told by King Dorephan

Long, long ago... In a past more distant than even the Great Calamity or the creation of the Divine Beast Vah Ruta...

There was a Zora princess named Ruto.

We know that she was an attendant to the Zora patron deity and that she was a fair and lively girl, beloved to all.

Around that same time, an evil man with designs on ruling the world appeared, bringing disaster upon Zora's Domain.

It is said that Ruto then awoke as a sage, facing this foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend.

Her achievements are remembered not only by the Zora, they are also forever etched in the history of Hyrule.

This would only have occurred in the Downfall and Adult Timelines. It's why I'm also leaning towards Downfall.

Could it have been possible that Link, recounting his adventures, described Ruto's accomplishments to the inhabitants of the Child Timeline? Maybe. But the way this is written I'm still iffy on that.

Also it's cute that all of the Downfall timeline Links have similar tunic designs to the Tunic of the Wild.

The 10,000+ year gap between the end of any branch and the start of BotW could explain some discrepancies such as the re-emergence of Hylia worship, multiple races of Hyrule reappearing, the Triforce, etc. My headcanon is that some individuals have multiversal knowledge that ended up in the in-universe lore, explaining the references in Zelda's speech. But this is just headcanon.

At least we all can agree that it's either Child or Downfall, I could be swayed to either depending on the day lol

Oh, yes, definitely! The assumption is that BOTW happens, somehow, across all timelines - maybe so, so much time has gone that all the events has finally happened across all timelines. This is even referenced in the Zelda's website, where it is stated that BOTW is the last game in the timeline, and even though it points out the split, it marks BOTW as independent of them.

XA80LIB.png

Oh yes. I’ve seen it. But that could also just be that way because they have yet to officially say where it is placed. So it could go either way. I’m all for either one and considering how many connections there are to every timeline, a convergence makes the most sense. However, if it is one, then I’m fully on board with the Fallen Hero Timeline as there is more evidence with that one than the others.

On an assumed non-converged timeline, you can rule out the Adult Era right away simply with the fact that it’s not even the same Hyrule. Everything we know about BotW indicates it’s the same Hyrule from SS and OoT, from in-game dialogue and the very existence of some very key areas like the Temple of Time and the Forgotten Temple. Let’s also not forget that The Master Sword itself is completely lost at the bottom of the sea (and embedded in Ganondorf’s head, no less).

For the Child Era timeline, Ganondorf here was also killed. It was an actual finality that resulted in an actual new Ganondorf being born, something that has not occurred on the other other timelines.

As @Serif pointed out, Aunoma as only ever given a single hint about the game’s placement on the timeline and it’s about it being one where Ganon has attacked many times. I’ll repost that here:

And where does this Zelda fit on the series' timeline, in its chronology, split as that is into three separate yet connected branches?
I wouldn't say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you'll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there's a woman's voice, and she says: "The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon." And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there's food for thought there. I don't want to say anything more as I'd like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think.

There’s only one timeline that makes this statement knowingly true without making assumptions that “Ganon could have done this in 10,000+ years”. Could have yes, but we do not know that. And this statement is meant to serve as a hint to the game’s timeline placement and it only matches with the Downfall Era.

All of the games Ganon attacks in this Era:

-Ocarina of Time
-A Link to the Past
-A Link Between Worlds
-Oracle of Seasons & Ages
-Legend of Zelda
-Zelda II (Ganon revives if you die)

The other two eras consist of OoT and TWW; and OoT, TP, and FSA (not even the same Ganon here).

Thanks for reminding me of this, found the interview text:

Also - I'm recalling the Zora tablet that describes Ruto:

This would only have occurred in the Downfall and Adult Timelines. It's why I'm also leaning towards Downfall.

Could it have been possible that Link, recounting his adventures, described Ruto's accomplishments to the inhabitants of the Child Timeline? Maybe. But the way this is written I'm still iffy on that.

Also it's cute that all of the Downfall timeline Links have similar tunic designs to the Tunic of the Wild.

The 10,000+ year gap between the end of any branch and the start of BotW could explain some discrepancies such as the re-emergence of Hylia worship, multiple races of Hyrule reappearing, the Triforce, etc. My headcanon is that some individuals have multiversal knowledge that ended up in the in-universe lore, explaining the references in Zelda's speech. But this is just headcanon.

At least we all can agree that it's either Child or Downfall, I could be swayed to either depending on the day lol
Yeah, the one thing I’m 100% certain about is that it’s not the Adult Timeline; it makes much less sense than either the Child or Downfall Timelines. I guess I can still see it potentially being the Downfall Timeline if not the Child Timeline
but if that really is the case, there are a number of odd decisions made with BotW that don’t really match up with that, like Zelda’s speech. And now that that Aonuma quote has been brought up, I’m remembering that him saying “but if you play the game, you'll be able to work out where it fits” was one of the biggest reasons for me supporting a Child Timeline placement from the beginning. He says that as if it would be clear to anyone playing the game
but really, the only thing in BotW that really explicitly references a particular timeline placement is Zelda’s speech that references the Child Timeline. But then Aonuma also said “I wouldn't say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline,” so maybe he was never hinting a particular timeline placement with that quote in the first place, but rather what he meant was that you’d know that it takes place after all previous Zelda games at the end of some unspecified timeline, because that could also be the implication from his comments about Ganon as well. And Ganon has attacked Hyrule multiple times in the Child Timeline, too (and the Adult Timeline, technically), so it still fits, though like I said I have a feeling that Aonuma’s hint there wasn’t about a particular timeline, but rather just BotW taking place at the very end of some timeline, since we didn’t even have official confirmation of that at the time.

And yeah, the Zora tablet about Ruto may appear to complicate a Child Timeline placement slightly, but as you said it’s nothing that can’t be explained; after all, we know from the intro of Majora’s Mask that Link’s adventure in the Adult Timeline future of OoT was passed on as legend among the Royal Family of Hyrule (and this is what directly lead to the events of TP with Ganondorf being imprisoned for crimes he didn’t even commit yet), so it’s likely that Ruto’s involvement similarly became legend among Zora royalty as well. I’d say it’s similar to the situation with the stone carving of Darmani from MM, which, if meant to be canon (and since it’s actually physically represented in the game’s world, I assume that to be the case), could only exist in the Child Timeline after Link’s story of his adventure in Termina was passed on in Hyrule and similarly became legend among the Gorons.

Last edited:

What’s so obvious about it potentially taking place in the Downfall Timeline, though? All I ever really see is people claiming similarities in theming and all with the original TLoZ
which doesn’t necessarily mean anything when it comes to the timeline.
I was just joking on that last bit. It's obviously not obvious!
The serious point is that I don't think they will ever reveal it and that Breath of the Wild is essentially a restart point for future Zelda games. We'll know how they relate to Breath of the Wild, but not to any games before that.

I think that's why they went with an explicit 10,000 year gap and why they threw in references to the entire history of Zelda.

Okay sorry yall

I went back and forth on this but I'm gonna do something uncharacteristically obnoxious

I'm gonna post a MatPat video that I agree with

Wouldn't it make the most sense for BOTW to be in the Child Era timeline? If you had to choose.

Zelda says in a cutscene, "...skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight...", which refers to SS, OoT, and TP, respectively. Each timeline has SS and OoT, but only the Child Era timeline contains TP.

Last edited:
Wouldnt it make the most sense for BOTW to be in the Child timeline? If you had to choose.

Zelda says in a cutscene, "...Skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight", with refers to SS, OoT, and TP, respectively. Each timeline has SS and OoT, but only the Child timeline contains TP.
This is why the timeline is trash lol

Wouldnt it make the most sense for BOTW to be in the Child timeline? If you had to choose.

Zelda says in a cutscene, "...Skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight", with refers to SS, OoT, and TP, respectively. Each timeline has SS and OoT, but only the Child timeline contains TP.
I’ve always been of the opinion that while there is no absolute answer, this is the “most correct” one.

Yes, that’s always been the most substantial evidence for a Child Timeline placement for me. As others have noted in this thread, in Zelda’s speech there are also references to ALttP and TWW (and therefore the other two timelines which those games take place on), but that part is being talked over and isn’t subtitled, unlike the part that explicitly references the Child Timeline which is presented clearly to the player. If BotW wasn’t intended to take place in the Child Timeline, then why would the developers put that line in and make it something so prominently featured?

Wouldn't it make the most sense for BOTW to be in the Child Era timeline? If you had to choose.

Zelda says in a cutscene, "...skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight...", which refers to SS, OoT, and TP, respectively. Each timeline has SS and OoT, but only the Child Era timeline contains TP.
We already explained it earlier, that's JUST the English version. In Japanese and the European languages you can clearly hear Zelda also mentioning "traveling the oceans and make a link to the past", so in the exact same scene she references ALL timelines. It's just talked over, but you can hear it in all languages except English.

This is why the timeline is trash lol
Nah.
I love reading about this. Reminds me of crazy periphery Elder Scrolls lore like Dragon Breaks. Keep it coming, y'all.

We already explained it earlier, that's JUST the English version. In Japanese and the European languages you can clearly hear Zelda also mentioning "traveling the oceans and make a link to the past", so in the exact same scene she references ALL timelines. It's just talked over, but you can hear it in all languages except English.
Yes, but it’s still talked over and not subtitled, so not meant to be the focus. Also it’s separated from the SS→OoT→TP part of the speech. That first part lists three major games in the order they happen on the timeline, while the other part just references two games on completely different timelines, while being talked over and not subtitled. There’s a big difference in how they’re presented to the player, and I don’t see why the developers would have prominently featured the Child Timeline reference if BotW wasn’t intended to take place on that timeline.

not child not adult not downfall but a secret more mysterious fourth thing
I mean, this is technically also a possible option, lol. Some kind of fourth timeline (not sure what the cause of it would be, though) that doesn’t have any other existing games taking place on it between OoT and BotW, but some amalgamation of events similar to those of the major games on each timeline somehow happens in it?

I mean, this is technically also a possible option, lol. Some kind of fourth timeline (not sure what the cause of it would be, though) that doesn’t have any other existing games taking place on it between OoT and BotW, but some amalgamation of events similar to those of the major games on each timeline somehow happens in it?
As someone who's not very tapped into the timeline discussion, a kind of "merged" timeline (whatever that entails) has always been my assumption but I try not to think about it too hard myself.

As someone who's not very tapped into the timeline discussion, a kind of "merged" timeline (whatever that entails) has always been my assumption but I try not to think about it too hard myself.
There’s not really any plausible and sensical way for that to happen, though (if you mean a literal merger of the existing three timelines, that is). But some new fourth timeline that has events take place similar to the games in the other timelines but not the exact same events in the exact same timelines could work as an explanation, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom