• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fine with the voices. I thought there were some lines that could have been delivered better, but I thought the voices fit the characters. In Age of Calamity the voices grew on me, so I think I’ll like them more in TotK.

I think the only voice I had a problem with was Zelda's. Her accent was soooo thick and thinking about beans on toast triggers my fight or flight.

Don’t get why Zelda needed to have a accent when the voice actress doesn’t have one. Just let her use her own voice or hire a person with the desire accent.

Enemy variety is definitely one of the key areas I want to see some improvement. The two new enemy types we've seen in the second teaser could be interesting, definitely love the design of the green stone thingy. The wyvern-looking enemy from the newest teaser isn't clearly visible so I'm not sure what it is. Aside from obviously more unique enemies and mini-bosses there's a few things I'm hoping for:

• Changes to and variations of the BotW enemies. The Bokoblin with the longer horns look funny but it's difficult to say if they differ from vanilla ones. The Stone Talus being used as a mount by the Horned Bokoblins was pretty cool, curious to see if there's more like that. BotW had the Bokoblins riding bears but they're pretty rare. There's a lot stuff they could do: Lizalfos could get Skyward Sword-like variants or Aeralfos from Twilight Princess. Wizzrobes can get more elemental variants (green Wind Wizzrobe, brown Earth Wizzrobe etc.) Obviously flying Octorok should be in by default. The Yiga also desperately need more variations if they're still in the game.
  • Seeing as other Sheikah tech seems to be gone, it shouldn't be too much of an ask for Guardians to be gone as well. They were fun enemies to fight in BotW but eventually got too much. I wouldn't mind a few that have been corrupted further by malice (think Malice Guardians from Age of Calamity). But they shouldn't be a constant presence in the overworld like they were in BotW but perhaps restricted to a cave or dungeon. Which brings me to my next point...
  • More location specific enemies. Previous games were better at this, limiting some enemy appearances to specific locations. In BotW this is mostly limited to elemental variants. You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube when it comes to the existing enemy types but TotK should have more of these.
  • New interpretations of legacy enemies. New enemy types are obviously cool but I like seeing new takes on older ones, especially if we haven't seen them in 3D games before. Cadence of Hyrule once again reminded me how many enemies we haven't seen in ages.

Gorons should have a Spanish accent.
Ritos should have a French accent.
I'd be fine with Gerudos sounding Sardinian if you know you know.
And I want all my Zoras to sound Brazilian, come on Nintendo.

Yes, this is a shitpost. Sorry.

The Zelda team specifically wanted a British accent for Zelda too, I thought her voice was great, I'm not British though.

Last edited:
I'm not going to bother with the English dub in the future, partly because of the meh performance direction but also because the language was super woolly. Seems like they wanted lip movements to match, so sentences were weirdly paced to accommodate.

Original Japanese voices with Dutch subtitles for me. NoE has been knocking Dutch translation out of the park (Splatoon 3 for example is full of fantastic puns, like Opblaashaai for the exploding shark special meaning both "inflatable shark" that one'd use in the pool, and "explode shark". It's perfect).

if there'd be an option for "no VO at all" i'd pick that TBH, prefer to let my imagination do the voices =P.

The Mexican dub of BOTW was fantastic.

We don’t get a lot of Mexican representation in gaming (Pokémon should one day use our country for a game please 🥲) so it was nice to see the Spanish voice acting be pretty great.

Tho I’m still gonna go in English first playthough. For consistency since BOTW was the first time I ever played a Zelda game in another language.

Enemy variety is definitely one of the key areas I want to see some improvement. The two new enemy types we've seen in the second teaser could be interesting, definitely love the design of the green stone thingy. The wyvern-looking enemy from the newest teaser isn't clearly visible so I'm not sure what it is. Aside from obviously more unique enemies and mini-bosses there's a few things I'm hoping for:

• Changes to and variations of the BotW enemies. The Bokoblin with the longer horns look funny but it's difficult to say if they differ from vanilla ones. The Stone Talus being used as a mount by the Horned Bokoblins was pretty cool, curious to see if there's more like that. BotW had the Bokoblins riding bears but they're pretty rare. There's a lot stuff they could do: Lizalfos could get Skyward Sword-like variants or Aeralfos from Twilight Princess. Wizzrobes can get more elemental variants (green Wind Wizzrobe, brown Earth Wizzrobe etc.) Obviously flying Octorok should be in by default. The Yiga also desperately need more variations if they're still in the game.
  • Seeing as other Sheikah tech seems to be gone, it shouldn't be too much of an ask for Guardians to be gone as well. They were fun enemies to fight in BotW but eventually got too much. I wouldn't mind a few that have been corrupted further by malice (think Malice Guardians from Age of Calamity). But they shouldn't be a constant presence in the overworld like they were in BotW but perhaps restricted to a cave or dungeon. Which brings me to my next point...
  • More location specific enemies. Previous games were better at this, limiting some enemy appearances to specific locations. In BotW this is mostly limited to elemental variants. You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube when it comes to the existing enemy types but TotK should have more of these.
  • New interpretations of legacy enemies. New enemy types are obviously cool but I like seeing new takes on older ones, especially if we haven't seen them in 3D games before. Cadence of Hyrule once again reminded me how many enemies we haven't seen in ages.
Iron knuckles and aeralfos would really be appreciated. Imagine if they made some variety in their weapons, like the Lynels have. I think Aeralfos should use a Lance that we can equip when we defeat one, which would get increased damage when on horse-back.

I'm all for big, imposing and intimidating bosses in this game. There being only the Blights and people (rightfully, in my opinion) criticising BotW for it, I hope they took that criticism to heart and created memorable bosses, probably some SotC-tier giants wandering the lands.

A fake 4chan leak from a while ago was obviously, well, fake, but it mentioned a giant sky snake that could burrow from island to island, and that idea has stuck in my head.
Yeah, boss is definitely a department where botw was kinda eeeeeh. All this talk about outside bosses earlier didn't help either.

Iron knuckles and aeralfos would really be appreciated. Imagine if they made some variety in their weapons, like the Lynels have. I think Aeralfos should use a Lance that we can equip when we defeat one, which would get increased damage when on horse-back.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if Aeralfos weren't in the game with the world in the sky being such a large part of TotK. Kargarok are probably going to be back as well (that enemy in the new teaser could be one in fact), though I'm personally hoping for a fucked up looking Acheman:

Acheman.png

I also hope that Iron Knuckles and other armoured enemies like Ball 'n Chain Guards and especially Darknuts make it back. I love both these fanmade versions for different reasons:

ejrsofd57pvx.png
harry-darlington-tumblr-or0xd2fsb01u366vwo4-r11-1280.jpg

harry-darlington-darknut-5-progress.jpg

I had a dream last night that someone was livestreaming them play an early copy of totk and when I clicked on the video, Links arm had transformed into like a megaman gun and was shooting balloons from a moving platform in the sky lol dream me quickly closed the video to no be spoiled lol somehow I doubt that will happen in totk, but if it somehow does, I guess I have become a prophet lolol

Zelda’s voice actress, Patricia Summersett, has such a beautiful voice. I encourage anyone to listen to this song she sings called ‘More of the World’:

The durability system will play a big impact into enemy variety. We had so many humanoid forms in the first one because the whole combat system was designed around constantly looping through multiple weapons. Also, based on my ignorant non-dev opinion, considering the variety of AI behaviours for Bokoblins/Moblins/Lizalfos, those humanoid forms demanded a lot more programming resources than Keese for example. That work is already done and now they can focus on different types of monsters, keeping in mind both the Sky and Undergroud will host different types of enemies.
Never thought about that. Indeed you could never have a room with enemies that don’t carry a weapon because you could break all of you arsenal and have no reposition. Now you made hate durability system even more. Didn’t know it was possible…XD

Too far to be sure, but this could be an Aeralfos or a new enemy type. Thought it was just a bird at first but those bat wings and the possible size of this thing...

5d52aa03991f9f8d8da4cf0bdd041b3fbc75dead.jpg

(Sorry I pulled this screenshot from a blog hence the red circle)

Too far to be sure, but this could be an Aeralfos or a new enemy type. Thought it was just a bird at first but those bat wings and the possible size of this thing...

5d52aa03991f9f8d8da4cf0bdd041b3fbc75dead.jpg

(Sorry I pulled this screenshot from a blog hence the red circle)
Yeah, that's the one I think could be a Kargarok, closer to the TP version than the WW one though.

Last edited:
for the most part I like the voice acting in BotW but it definitely shows its blemishes being the Zelda team's first attempt at it. overall the casting choices were pretty spot on and I feel like each voice perfectly matches the characters, though let down by some often times flat delivery and poor direction

unfortunately the same cast in AoC was severely worse and more stilted, though in fairness it seemed like a complete rush job - there's a specific scene that sticks out in my mind where Zelda's voice actress pronounces Divine Beasts as 'Divine Beasps' and it's just there in the game like that lol. so ultimately for TotK I feel like it could go either way depending on how much importance they place onto it

regardless in my opinion voice acting is a must for Zelda going forwards and it's something that the series desperately needs for a chance to remain modern and up to standard with the rest of the industry. take one look at modern Pokemon and you'll see where a lack of voice acting takes you

Yeah, that's the one I think could be a Kargarok, closer to the TP version that WW one though.
Thank you - Kargarok, was on the tip of my tongue. I kept thinking 'roc' was in there like the Helmaroc King.

It's fitting, the Kargarok was an enemy in the City in the Sky dungeon.

Speaking of which, I echo the sentiment that the hookshot should be brought back. They were pretty clear about why it wasn't there in the first place:

“In the early stages of development, we did actually do some tests with double hookshots and just being able to kind of go anywhere, like Spider-Man. Your mobility and your speed was just kind of incredible. We did do some tests like that. Honestly, the hookshot kind of completely breaks the climbing mechanic. There’s lots of fans in the staff, even at pretty high levels, who really like the hookshot and they kept bugging me about it. I eventually just had to say ‘No! Hookshot is gone. There will be no hookshot in this game. If we put the hookshot in this game, it’s not going to work.’ We were just going back to what we did before, and Breath of the Wild is all about doing new things.”- Hidemaro Fujibayashi

But I don't know - if they just limit it to one hookshot with the arm, tied to the spirit energy, and limit the amount of climbable surfaces on the sky islands, it could work. This could be so much fun

vub1dzi302461.jpg

Source

I think the voice acting was fine, people make mistakes in real life and to me it only adds character. Nothing is perfect and after having played both of them I really felt immersed in both games.

Remaining 'modern' and up to 'standard' with the rest of the industry is a curse that I do not wish to see inflicted on Nintendo, they do their own thing and basically create their own standard.

With all these targets to reach I see many games rushing to get out only fumbling on the key aspect of what should make a game: the gameplay itself. As long as Nintendo nails that area they can add pixelated trees and muddy palletes for all I care.

I thought the change in the tone in Zelda's voice, in Age of Calmity, was a clever idea. Before she gets the triforce Zelda has a timid tone, but in general, the lines after Zelda gets the triforce have a tone of assertion and confidence.

Thank you - Kargarok, was on the tip of my tongue. I kept thinking 'roc' was in there like the Helmaroc King.

Speaking of which, I echo the sentiment that the hookshot should be brought back. They were pretty clear about why it wasn't there in the first place:

But I don't know - if they just limit it to one hookshot with the arm, tied to the spirit energy, and limit the amount of climbable surfaces on the sky islands, it could work. This could be so much fun

vub1dzi302461.jpg

Source
I agree with Fujibayashi that the Hookshot would have trivialized a lot of BotW (Revali's Gale arguably already does once you get the upgrade from the Champion's Ballad). TotK on the other hand seems to focus on a very different kind of traversal so I can see the rationale to bring it back in some form. Honestly, a lot of people (including me) think it's one if not the best item in the series. If they can make it work I'm absolutely for it.

I agree with Fujibayashi that the Hookshot would have trivialized a lot of BotW (Revali's Gale arguably already does once you get the upgrade from the Champion's Ballad). TotK on the other hand seems to focus on a very different kind of traversal so I can see the rationale to bring it back in some form. Honestly, a lot of people (including me) think it's one if not the best item in the series. If they can make it work I'm absolutely for it.
Make a hookshot where items can only be pulled towards you.

I think a decent way of balancing hookshot is to limit the materials and surfaces it can grapple onto.

Like, that one snippet from the trailer where link is climbing a long root to get onto an island? Imagine that the hookshot can latch onto that wood, but cannot attach to the stonework around it.
I’ve had this idea for years. Even made a thread about it on ERA ages ago.

My supplementary idea was to include a type of arrow that can create a temporary grapple point upon impact.

Not that climbing was particularly balanced to begin with if you were into cooking.

but with roots being climbable you could have some interesting climbing challenges like having to jump off an edge to hook onto a separate root higher up. I think all the pointy bases to the islands will be designed around that kind of thing. The pointy parts didn't seem to be there in the earlier trailer, which was interesting.

There could be 4 main abilities again, Some kind of magic hand would be closest to magnesis, and reverse time obviously stasis, and the travelling through surfaces is kind of an inverted cryonis that turns solid to liquid (ok that's a stretch). Presumably there would be a new bomb replacement, maybe beetle bombs or bombchus?

Last edited:
Idk I think underground exploration is pretty likely with phasing through the ground. It would be a truly vertical map then. When the game comes out if there are underground areas It would be fun to do a race or something from the lowest point of the map to the highest.

If Revali's Gale was allowed to exist, then hookshots would've have been fine. Hookshots at least require some surface to attach to and could easily balanced by reducing the distance it could shoot, making it take stamina, having a limited amount of times you could use it per climb, or limited the type of surfaces it can attach to as someone said above etc...

Link's green hand does heavily remind me of Nero's devil bringer from DMC5.

Idk I think underground exploration is pretty likely with phasing through the ground. It would be a truly vertical map then. When the game comes out if there are underground areas It would be fun to do a race or something from the lowest point of the map to the highest.
Now imagine if underwater swimming was also a thing and could be explored. The full vertical exploration experience: skies, on land, underground, underwater. Then they'd have a reason to make the next hardest water dungeon.

vub1dzi302461.jpg

Source
Oh I LOVE the Sealing Arm idea from that post. That’s awesome.

Place your bets, and your theories/predictions - if the arm has indeed 5 abilities like the Slate, what will they be?

I think:

Phasing (as seen in trailer)
Time reversal (as seen in trailer)
Flash bombs (can shoot 3 at a time, and detonate them simultaneously, replaces the bombs)
Hammer (another thing from concept art, could work if it has a unique gimmick/property)
Arm hook/hookshot (woo!)

I doubt there will be more time-related abilities, I was thinking how a time-forwarder could work, and I think time-stop would just be too similar to stasis.

There are a lot of great theories and ideas that people are putting out that I hope get implemented in TotK, but the one thing that I hope gets added that I have seen mentioned here and there is the fishing minigame.

The fishing minigame in OoT drove me crazy trying to capture a 12/13lb fish, but in hindsight I remember it fondly and don't regret having spent my time doing it.

The fishing in Twilight Princess was pretty fun as well if not equally challenging but exploring the pond in the canoe while having the sun set as the gentle music plays was just chef's kiss.

Last edited:
It’s worth noting that the 2 abilities we’ve seen, time reversal and phasing, come from different sources. For time reversal, the back of links magic hand glows bright yellow but the arm itself remains dormant. For phasing, the arm activates and glows green, but no bright yellow.

There are a lot of great theories and ideas that people are putting out that I hope get implemented in TotK, but the one thing that I hope gets added that I have seen mentioned here and there is the fishing minigame.

The fishing minigame in OoT drove me crazy trying to capture a 12/13lb fish, but in hindsight I remember it fondly and don't regret having spent my time doing it.

The fishing in Twilight Princess was pretty fun as well if not equally challenging but exploring the pond in the canoe while having the sun set as the gentle music plays was just chef's kiss.

If TOTK does not have squid-hunt and the iconic KABOOM! SPLOOSH! KABOOM! I will riot.

zelda-wind-waker-salvatore.gif

Place your bets, and your theories/predictions - if the arm has indeed 5 abilities like the Slate, what will they be?

I think:

Phasing (as seen in trailer)
Time reversal (as seen in trailer)
Flash bombs (can shoot 3 at a time, and detonate them simultaneously, replaces the bombs)
Hammer (another thing from concept art, could work if it has a unique gimmick/property)
Arm hook/hookshot (woo!)

I doubt there will be more time-related abilities, I was thinking how a time-forwarder could work, and I think time-stop would just be too similar to stasis.
It looks like a new patent allows us to warp small distances, possibly like portal, but with a very limited range. I looked through the patent and it seems to describe a program that interpolates data so that if you warp from point A to point B, the quick transition of sounds won't get jumbled and sound unpleasant. The inventor worked on BOTW.

It looks like a new patent allows us to warp small distances, possibly like portal, but with a very limited range. I looked through the patent and it seems to describe a program that interpolates data so that if you warp from point A to point B, the quick transition of sounds won't get jumbled and sound unpleasant. The inventor worked on BOTW.
Link to the patent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom