• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeltik made a video saying he believes the new figure in the stone depictions is Hylia, but I agree that it's possibly who the green arm belonged to, and not Hylia. If it's Hylia, then how did Hylia make an agreement with herself, i.e. Zelda in the stone depiction? Zeltik's theory isn't well supported in my opinion, even with the idea in Skyward Sword that Hylia is an interdimensional being, which I don't think she is really.

On another note.

It looks like the new malice dissolves metal, which is why it dissolved much of the master sword, and in the stone depictions it has killed soldiers and destroyed their swords and shields (if you look at the depictions of the soldiers in the trailer, the soldiers outside of the new malice have shields and swords, but the soldiers inside the new malice have lost their sword or both sword and shield). Maybe this is why all that is left of the Zonai are stone structures. The game developers could explain that this is also why all the ancient sheikah technology, i.e. divine beasts, guardians, weapons, shrines, towers, sheikah slate, etc... are immune from this new malice since they're not made of metal. That's why 10,000 years ago they were able to seal away Ganon because the divine beasts and guardians were immune from it, but 10,000 years later, Ganon/Ganondorf changed his malice to take over the sheikah technology in BOTW.
I agree 100%, while he is still one of my favorite theorists, his collaboration he did wasn’t his best material. Technically, it’s anyones guess at this point since we have only been drip fed a mishmash of info in these teaser trailers that aren’t even actual footage most likely because they have been spliced up so much. You could definitely hear him working hard to make his theory viable while dismissing obvious flaws. It was somewhat the basis of my own theory it being Demise which is obviously not as well because I also think the hand holding down Gannondorf belongs to the one depicted on the cave painting.

Rewatching the 2017 presentation trailer, I am reminded how much we didn't know before hand.

Things that were revealed in this trailer:
-The general story
-First full look at Zelda
-The King of Hyrule
-Impa
-The Deku Tree
-The Master Sword
-Hateno Village and the Gerudo Town
-seal surfing
-Some of the Champions and the successors
-The Divine Beasts

Some of these things were teased in the Game Awards trailer like Revali and the flying divine beasts along with the first look at a village. But it's only in the 2017 trailer that everything came into focus. Before then, we really didn't know much about the story at all other than Link has re-awakened after 100 years.

It was also the first time we saw Goron, Zora and a Great Fairy. It's crazy to think how little we know before then. Basically we didn't know about towns, dungeons, any character outside the old man and Revali, the story...We knew the basic premise and gameplay details and that's all.

With ToTK, I think we know even less, because we only had small teasers. BoTW had a full trailer and a large segment in the Treehouse. I can't wait to see what the Zelda team has in store for us!

It was also the first time we saw Goron, Zora and a Great Fairy. It's crazy to think how little we know before then. Basically we didn't know about towns, dungeons, any character outside the old man and Revali, the story...We knew the basic premise and gameplay details and that's all.

With ToTK, I think we know even less, because we only had small teasers. BoTW had a full trailer and a large segment in the Treehouse. I can't wait to see what the Zelda team has in store for us!
people still underestimate the game. its just like back in 2015/2016. Some things never change.

I agree 100%, while he is still one of my favorite theorists, his collaboration he did wasn’t his best material. Technically, it’s anyones guess at this point since we have only been drip fed a mishmash of info in these teaser trailers that aren’t even actual footage most likely because they have been spliced up so much. You could definitely hear him working hard to make his theory viable while dismissing obvious flaws. It was somewhat the basis of my own theory it being Demise which is obviously not as well because I also think the hand holding down Gannondorf belongs to the one depicted on the cave painting.
He might be trying to put out content because TotK is such a hot topic right now, so searches for TotK on YouTube are high. When you put out more content, about a video that was only just released, quality is a bit lacking. Zeltik also mentioned that the stone depictions might be a prophecy, and not about a past event. But if the developers were showing the current Zelda as a figure in a prophecy, her hair would be cut short to match the current Zelda, its developers that make this all up after all. I’m confident that it’s conveying what has happened and not what will happen in the game, the long-haired Zelda is a good indicator of this.

He might be trying to put out content because TotK is such a hot topic right now, so searches for TotK on YouTube are high. When you put out more content, about a video that was only just released, quality is a bit lacking. Zeltik also mentioned that the stone depictions might be a prophecy, and not about a past event. But if the developers were showing the current Zelda as a figure in a prophecy, her hair would be cut short to match the current Zelda, its developers that make this all up after all. I’m confident that it’s conveying what has happened and not what will happen in the game, the long-haired Zelda is a good indicator of this.
yeah. the stone tablets are just an extension to the wall drawings in the very first trailer.

I'm zelda-theory-pooped-out right now. Lemme get some coffee
imo at 0:33 seconds in the video is the exact moment Zelda sees the stone tablet.

It also looks like its lit by a torch or another nearby fire source, must be Zeldas:

0f6df8762d7012f6d0439cce98ca5ef8c90c8c3b.gifv

If the mural depicts the deity and Zelda joining hands, and if the spirit arm belongs to or is a remnant of that deity, then I think Link and Zelda - with Link now possessing the arm - will join hands to generate a new power. Basically I think they're going to Interlink lol

I disagree with the speculation made by some that Zelda is out of commission for the game after the intro. Skyward Sword also had Zelda falling but she had her own entire arc. I think she will undergo her own awakening and have an active role throughout the game.

Maybe you are the hero who defeated malice 1000 years ago,the ouroboros logo is because this game its a time travel story,thats why theres a lot of things that look old and a lot of zonai symbology
I really don't think we will play as another Link. Why make a direct sequel at that point?

Maybe you are the hero who defeated malice 1000 years ago,the ouroboros logo is because this game its a time travel story,thats why theres a lot of things that look old and a lot of zonai symbology
I don't think so, or else it wouldn't be a sequel, since a sequel develops or adds to an earlier story.

I'm still sticking with my theory that the Link from 10,000 years ago in the same one from BOTW. Link travels back in time with his fancy new arm, seals Ganon with that arm, and leave it behind for himself to find 10,000 years in the future. It even fits with the ouroboros logo.

you are the same link from botw,you think you are changing the past but in the end you were always there,a kind of closed time loop like it happened in LOST
I guess Zelda and time paradoxes go hand in hand

Maybe you play as the BotW one but his consciousness can be transported back in time into the body of the one who defeated the malice.

Quantum Link

I'm still sticking with my theory that the Link from 10,000 years ago in the same one from BOTW. Link travels back in time with his fancy new arm, seals Ganon with that arm, and leave it behind for himself to find 10,000 years in the future. It even fits with the ouroboros logo.
All this talk is making me hope that you can switch between the botw hyrule and the 10000 years ago hyrule, that's probably the best way to kill all the doomposting of same map.

All this talk is making me hope that you can switch between the botw hyrule and the 10000 years ago hyrule, that's probably the best way to kill all the doomposting of same map.
Even with 10000 years, I don't see the map change enough, or it wouldn't be realistic because in real life, 10k years don't do much in terms of change.

I thought a parallel world would be playable in ToTK but the more I think of it, the more I think we'll "just" get the sky map + a huge underground map (which would make me happy if there are enough changes on the surface map.

Even with 10000 years, I don't see the map change enough, or it wouldn't be realistic because in real life, 10k years don't do much in terms of change.

I thought a parallel world would be playable in ToTK but the more I think of it, the more I think we'll "just" get the sky map + a huge underground map (which would make me happy if there are enough changes on the surface map.
It depends on what kind of change(s) we're talking about.

For example: The lore made it sound like before the King of that "post-10,000 year Calamity" era outlawed technology, the Sheikah of that age were very technologically proficient. Would I love to see what Sheikah society in their prime looked like before the King forcefully exiled them? Certainly. That's right up there with whatever the Zonai tribe were in their own prime.

I am on the side of the figure being a Zonai Priestess/Priest

You'd be surprised how much geography and climates can change in 10,000 years. 10,000 yeas ago, the the coastline was much further north in Southern Iraq. Beringia, the land bridge that connect North America and Asia was still around 11,000 years ago. There was a land bridge that connected Britain with the rest of Europe.

With that said, I don't think they would change things as much in a hypothetical 10,000 year old Hyrule though it would be cool.

Here's the ultimate theory. The figure is wearing a mask. She's part of the dark tribe that create Majora's Mask! Yes, the Zonai are the ones who created Majora's Mask. They are also Shiekah who then became the Twili when they tried to steal the life force. Also Demise is coming back. The Sky Temple in Twilight Princess is Sky Loft. Everything is connected. Like and subscribe for more The Legend of Zelda theories. Check our my Patreon.

Not sure why realism matters, Hyrule is a fictional land with both magic users and advanced technology. Wind Waker was only hundreds of years after Ocarina, its flooded state and heavily changed map was because the Goddesses intervened. Either the Shiekah or Zonai could have terraformed the land with magic/tech, or Ganon/dorf could've laid waste to it.

If we're talking about a potential Zonai kingdom, I'm assuming it'd be older than 10k years. 10k years was when the advanced tech Shiekah fought Calamity Ganon, but the Zonai were said to an ancient tribe that mysteriously vanished and if they had no involvement in Calamity Ganon, then they'd predate those events.

Link 3 will be a villain, and Link 1 will fight him to avenge Link 2's untimely death. After casting him down, Link 1 will chide him for being "the weakest Link" before finishing him off.

Link 3 will be a villain, and Link 1 will fight him to avenge Link 2's untimely death. After casting him down, Link 1 will chide him for being "the weakest Link" before finishing him off.
"You aarree the weakest Link! Goodbye." unable to actually speak, Link conveys this exact message through a unique combination of facial expressions and grunts.

Last edited:
With all of this Demise talk, do you all remember exactly where he came from? Well… he came from within the depths of the Earth. So from underground, if you will:

Long ago, he and his horde of demons broke through a fissure in the earth and sought out the Triforce.”

And in Skyward Sword, Demise would continue to resurface from a “fissure in the earth” in the form of The Imprisoned before his eventual full resurrection by Ghirahim.

So while Demise’s spirit became absorbed into the Master Sword, I wonder if his actual physical remains is what Link and Zelda encounter in that first trailer? And that he not only gets resurrected by the presence of his decaying spirit somehow escaping the Master Sword and manifesting back into its body, but it also simultaneously corrupts the Master Sword, thus is why it is in its current condition.

The Gerudo jewelry, cave painting of him wielding a Trident, and natural red hair suggests the corpse is Ganondorf. However, Ganondorf has never emitted Malice in his human form like the corpse is doing.

I think a reason he may be sealed is to prevent another reincarnation, and to limit the spread of Malice. It seems like Ganondorf himself is the source of it, as if he has become a Demise like entity even without taking on a beast form.

The Gerudo jewelry, cave painting of him wielding a Trident, and natural red hair suggests the corpse is Ganondorf. However, Ganondorf has never emitted Malice in his human form like the corpse is doing.

I think a reason he may be sealed is to prevent another reincarnation, and to limit the spread of Malice. It seems like Ganondorf himself is the source of it, as if he has become a Demise like entity even without taking on a beast form.
I wonder how tf he seems to be way stronger than he use to be. Will the Zelda team explain that? Or will they just tell us to roll with it?

In BOTW, we found out the backstory of what happened 100 years ago through memories. Maybe we’ll get to see some voice acted Ganondorf memories in TotK, that would be pretty cool.

Last edited:
I wonder how tf he seems to be way stronger than he use to be. Will the Zelda team explain that? Or will they just tell us to roll with it.

In BOTW, we found out the backstory of what happened 100 years ago through memories. Maybe we’ll get to see some voice acted Ganondorf memories in TotK, that would be pretty cool.
Wait

I just realized

GANONDORF/DEMISE IS GONNA HAVE A VOICE

They definitely won't recast characters

Some English VA work was far worse than it should have been. The sequel is a far bigger release, now that it’s following up a near 30 million seller. I don’t care if it’s recasting or better direction, but something ought to change.

I have the wet dream of Ganondorf being voiced by Jouji Nakata for the Japanese version.
Regarding existing characters, no way they are changing them. You probably have a wait for different incarnations of them for that.

I’m really not worried about the original map being the same. I think Aonuma wants it to be at least “familiar”besides it may be some what of a benefit to the player if the skydiving fighting portion is fleshed out correctly like the patents suggest as a way to orientate the player as they are falling. Plus I look at is a win win. If they spent a ton of time making a new map or new Relm they just haven’t shown us it’s a win. Or they listened to everyone and we are getting at least something in everyone’s top 10 list of changes they want. I feel comfortable in saying that because everytime I have read or heard someone’s top 10 list in the last 5 years it’s included one of the following in no particular order:

Dungeons - which I think we are getting I would be shocked if we didn’t
Underwater exploration - makes too much sense
New weapon/ repair system - magic based or AKA fire breathing dragon on your shield probably regenerates
petting dogs - Not sure why but I’m 100% certain on this
More meaningful quests/rewards for said quests - ”Everyone liked building Tarry Town, Heck will have them build a sky kingdom!”
More enemy variety/ bosses - We’ve seen at least two so far; there will be lots in the sky and underground - We still don’t even know who the badass hard to kill ones will be yet, we knew early on in BOTW that they would be guardians.
Classic like items/abilities - Either we will get a hook shot and or similar items or Links arm will just be a complete Inspector Gadget full of useful tools and items.
Better health management - So you cant just keep scarfing down meals while fighting - Trying to think of what the animation would look like as Link is plummeting to earth in free fall while trying to eat a Meat and Mushroom skewer while fighting a Dragon.
Climbing in the rain/weather - No need to climb when you can just phase through the ground, plus we’ve seen Link with gloves is it too much of stretch to think the developers can’t give us some damn climbing gloves so we don’t slip
Better story/ in real time/ more characters, NPCs and villages - Verdicts still out but I’m inclined to think of course they will.
Playable Zelda or have a much bigger role - 50-50 chance is my guess
A Recipe Book - that’s easy to access or once you make an item if you have the ingredients you just click on icon in your inventory and make it.
Im thinking we will get most if not all of this, and if we get both or most of both then it will be masterpiece number two for Nintendo.

The durability system will play a big impact into enemy variety. We had so many humanoid forms in the first one because the whole combat system was designed around constantly looping through multiple weapons. Also, based on my ignorant non-dev opinion, considering the variety of AI behaviours for Bokoblins/Moblins/Lizalfos, those humanoid forms demanded a lot more programming resources than Keese for example. That work is already done and now they can focus on different types of monsters, keeping in mind both the Sky and Undergroud will host different types of enemies.

More enemy variety/ bosses - We’ve seen at least two so far; there will be lots in the sky and underground - We still don’t even know who the badass hard to kill ones will be yet, we knew early on in BOTW that they would be guardians.

I'm all for big, imposing and intimidating bosses in this game. There being only the Blights and people (rightfully, in my opinion) criticising BotW for it, I hope they took that criticism to heart and created memorable bosses, probably some SotC-tier giants wandering the lands.

A fake 4chan leak from a while ago was obviously, well, fake, but it mentioned a giant sky snake that could burrow from island to island, and that idea has stuck in my head.

You'd be surprised how much geography and climates can change in 10,000 years. 10,000 yeas ago, the the coastline was much further north in Southern Iraq. Beringia, the land bridge that connect North America and Asia was still around 11,000 years ago. There was a land bridge that connected Britain with the rest of Europe.

With that said, I don't think they would change things as much in a hypothetical 10,000 year old Hyrule though it would be cool.
I meant that you can't expect a mountain to disappear and others to appear. It's off-topic but have you a link for the land bridge connecting Britain and the rest of Europe, please.

Yeah I also want some people recast in terms of voices. The single person I thought was good from the original is Revali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom