• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a Thursday embargo then like BoTW

Shame, I'd have wanted it earlier for the fun of it but alas
That is kind of odd, if so. I figured the reason BOTW was the day before was due to it being a Switch launch game and such, but nearly every Nintendo game lately has been 2+ days before. Or, reading it more charitably, maybe Nintendo wants to give reviewers as much time as possible with the game before the review time arrives, since they know reviews will be good and they don't think there's any big need to get them out before that.

That is kind of odd, if so. I figured the reason BOTW was the day before was due to it being a Switch launch game and such, but nearly every Nintendo game lately has been 2+ days before. Or, reading it more charitably, maybe Nintendo wants to give reviewers as much time as possible with the game before the review time arrives, since they know reviews will be good and they don't think there's any big need to get them out before that.
It's also in line with Nintendo being pretty strict about spoilers with official information - reviews will undoubtedly spoil things even with the strictest possible embargo so it makes sense to delay in that case

Does anyone have recommendations for Zelda podcasts? I've been listening to them to kill time when I'm at my boring job. I've enjoyed listening to Ratotaskr and HMK, but haven't found much else.

Or the game really sucks.

Incoming sub 60

😳

It's also in line with Nintendo being pretty strict about spoilers with official information - reviews will undoubtedly spoil things even with the strictest possible embargo so it makes sense to delay in that case
That is true. Hell with TOTK we should just be happy the review embargo ends before the game launches at all :p

Last edited:
So I’ve had to take my switch in for releases today. The left joycon won’t detach from the system.

Apparently I’m looking at a three week timeframe before it’s ready for pickup. So no TotK for me for a while now 🥲

Does anyone have recommendations for Zelda podcasts? I've been listening to them to kill time when I'm at my boring job. I've enjoyed listening to Ratotaskr and HMK, but haven't found much else.
I enjoy the Zelda Cast. Also Nintendo Voice Chat has been very Zelda heavy lately. Ratotaskr’s podcast is my favorite. I always get excited when I see a new episode up.

Just got back from dinner. There was a girl playing BotW while they were waiting for their dinner. Can’t escape the hype - it’s everywhere!

Yep, 94-97 is best for the servers, 98 or more and this place explodes with hype. 93 or less Fami explodes with doom.
93 seems so crazy since that would match Skyward Sword's critical reception upon release, but I guess anything can happen. Hoping for 95+

The only thing getting me through this night shift is knowing I’ll be one day closer to TotK. Also getting my “body ready” to stay up all night on release night.

If anyone has been keeping tabs on the Piggyback physical guide for TotK and is impatiently waiting for it to become available in the U.S. like me, I would so appreciate it if someone could tag me once it's available :) I'll be sure to do the same if I catch it first!

I enjoy the Zelda Cast. Also Nintendo Voice Chat has been very Zelda heavy lately. Ratotaskr’s podcast is my favorite. I always get excited when I see a new episode up.
I'll have to give ZeldaCast a shot, seems like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I know it's only a small percentage of people so far but it low-key feels like half the world is playing it already.

probably because with a game that as many people will play as this a small percentage still adds up to a lot of people

and anyone pirating a game before it comes out probably spends a lot of time online in general too so they're more visible

I know it's only a small percentage of people so far but it low-key feels like half the world is playing it already.
I am super jealous but I am staying out of the spoiler threads and keep reminding myself that it isnt that much longer

I know Fami will be calm and collected on Thursday regardless of the MC aggregate because we all know that a weighted average of opinion pieces from selected reviewers is not an objective standard of quality. Also that comparing weighted averages between 90 and 100 can be good fun but is not serious business because at that point you are basically just wondering what people were giving their subjective 10s and which ones were giving their subjective 9s and why they felt that way on the day and what the minutiae behind those decisions were and maybe would they be different with a different perspective later as so often happens.

So Thursday won’t be a hot mess for everyone if MC scores verge slightly from general expectations.

Right, kids?

Right?

I know Fami will be calm and collected on Thursday regardless of the MC aggregate because we all know that a weighted average of opinion pieces from selected reviewers is not an objective standard of quality. Also that comparing weighted averages between 90 and 100 can be good fun but is not serious business because at that point you are basically just wondering what people were giving their subjective 10s and which ones were giving their subjective 9s and why they felt that way on the day and what the minutiae behind those decisions were and maybe would they be different with a different perspective later as so often happens.

So Thursday won’t be a hot mess for everyone if MC scores verge slightly from general expectations.

Right, kids?

Right?
You know that’s not happening. People are way too invested into scores.

Judging by the Intellectual Property Notices which you can access on your Switch if you've preloaded ToTK by just highlighting it and then pressing Options.

It looks like ToTK is utilizing FidelityFX, it's probably just FSR 1.0, but it's still better than nothing. I believe Splatoon 3 and Switch Sports utilize it as well.

I wonder if the 1.1 patch added the finishing touches to it since some people are reporting a sharper image along with better performance. Good news either way since it seems to be much improved based on some of the reports. I would dig deeper but don't wanna risk getting spoiled, it already feels like I've been playing Minesweeper whenever I browse anything about the game lol.

Anyway, long post short, I think this will run better than BoTW on Switch.

Everything good here? No spoilers? I was so afraid that I put every Zelda thread on ignore. I hope you got your daily dose today with the #3 trailer. Ask The Developer should be coming in 3 days and hopefully they will ship the game sooner and I will get it on Thursday.

Judging by the Intellectual Property Notices which you can access on your Switch if you've preloaded ToTK by just highlighting it and then pressing Options.

It looks like ToTK is utilizing FidelityFX, it's probably just FSR 1.0, but it's still better than nothing. I believe Splatoon 3 and Switch Sports utilize it as well.

I wonder if the 1.1 patch added the finishing touches to it since some people are reporting a sharper image along with better performance. Good news either way since it seems to be much improved based on some of the reports. I would dig deeper but don't wanna risk getting spoiled, it already feels like I've been playing Minesweeper whenever I browse anything about the game lol.

Anyway, long post short, I think this will run better than BoTW on Switch.
I believe switch Sports, splatoon 3 etc. Mention fsr in their intellectual property notices, but they all never use it.

Atleast i heard that was the case

Everything good here? No spoilers? I was so afraid that I put every Zelda thread on ignore. I hope you got your daily dose today with the #3 trailer. Ask The Developer should be coming in 3 days and hopefully they will ship the game sooner and I will get it on Thursday.
I was curious where you found out about the Ask The Developer series. I am too scared to search anything ToTK related so haven’t seen anything about it. I know I will want to watch it, but will be too scared in case of spoilers.

I was curious where you found out about the Ask The Developer series. I am too scared to search anything ToTK related so haven’t seen anything about it. I know I will want to watch it, but will be too scared in case of spoilers.
Ask the Developer is written and we don't really know if or when it's going to come out for TotK.

Just my speculation, It will come, 2-3 days before release. Xenoblade 3 also did that before release, they will not include any spoilers there, it will be just a general idea of the development of TotK. The more detailed and spoiler talk will probably be in the making of videos as they did with BOTW which should release in the coming weeks (if they are doing these). But I expect it definitely come out before release, we will know for sure in 2-3 days.

One thing I haven’t noticed in life is that the older I get, the quicker time seems to go. So why is it that every minute feels like a damn hour at this moment in time 😂.

Having been dodging spoilers left right and centre has been hard but I know the payoff will be worth it all come release date.

Also, a friend of mine, who knows I am going in as blind as possible sent me a screenshot yesterday. Thank god I didn't have my glasses on. Instantly deleted that shit. And clearly, no friend of mine to do that! Close call!

So this bodes well.

(The guy is games editor at the Washington Post, and had a Zelda story on their front page recent. If anyone's writing that review copy now, it's probably him)

Hell yeah! I want little more drops like this from reviewers before their reviews come out.

Right, kids?

Right?
Honestly by the time a game enters the 90s, the difference in quality between a 90 and 97 imo is very very very small. Like several games that have scored in the early 90s are considered the GOAT as much as the late 90s

financial results will be early Tuesday morning for us, wonder how much they estimate this game to sell

Y'all, were are you going to go first once we're off the starter island? Any place on the overworld that you're dying to revisit? Or any specific island cluster in some of the trailers that has caught your eye? Or do you just want to see the hole with the lasers asap?

I'm dying to see the top of that huge stack of islands that are blocky and rises vertically as far as you can see. I'm going there first. No one can stop me, and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom