• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there so many things outside of Stable now? Something is building?

image.png

image.png

As a look to the future, guess it makes the most sense to have the story trailer drop on April 12th now right?
Personally, I think that the final trailer will happen around that time. In retrospect, I think the last trailer, despite it being good, didn't give me that sense of "wow" factor if I were to compare it to the 2017 BoTW one. But that's just my opinion. If it doesn't happen, the game will be great anyways so I don't care either way.

Not that there were much doubt about this, but the transition between land and sky is completely seamless. And if you fall, you fall lol.
Maybe you can call the bird platform to bring you back to the point you fell from

This is what I wanted Skyward Sword to be.

I’ll probably wait until the inevitable DLC is released before buying Tears of the Kingdom. Hopefully, there’s some Majora’s Mask-like cheese. Most enemies just leaving me alone while I filled the Hyrule Compendium was great.

Couple thoughts:

-This seems more experimental to me than a new overworld with BOTW's hook (though who knows how expansive sky/underground really are). They didn't come out of that and say "We're amazing at world-design, let's do it again", they just took the direction of maybe revolutionizing again with a bunch of new ideas. Seems more high-risk/high-reward than re-doing BOTW in a new world. We'll see if it pays off (I trust em).

-Did anyone spot the Sheikah Slate? I didn't see it at Link's waist.

-The amount of permutations that are possible with the Fuse and Ultrahand crafting seem truly mathematically insane, and they would have had to test all of it. I don't

-Got a coordinate system now. My guess is that it's in meters and somewhere in the center of the map on the surface is 0 / 0 / 0. The old BOTW map was 8kmx10km, so this would stretch to -4000/+4000 W-E, -5000/+5000 N-S, and some elevation beneath/above surface for the Z-Axis

-There will be something to replace the Divine Beasts, at minimum we'll get dungeons that are some evolution of that, at maximum, some kind of insane physics/time/fuse/ultrahand utilizing hybrid of traditional/freeform gauntlets

-There were shrine-like markers on the mini-map. But there were also cave-like markers - to me it looked like they corresponded with those cube structures (one of which Link landed on early on), but not 100% sure that was the case.

-They showed diving/free-falling but didn't see any controls for switching positions (other than accelerate); hope that stuff is still in there.

-Ultrahand vehicle building - guessing the actual use for this is moving large materials around (or some version of that). For traversal its kind of neat and would be helpful for getting back up to the Sky Islands, but I have to imagine there will be some use for this beyond just basic Link traversal.

This would have been a great title for the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 ST.

But this also means the title would have been wasted on an Xenoblade game.

I'm sorry. It's a bad joke and there are good things in those games too

I'm sure it's been mentioned, skipped the new pages but....when Link emerges at the top of the snowy hill and turns to jump back down, you can see rails and carts and a big orb. :unsure: very interesting (in an SS kind of way)

Everything you need to know about the new Zelda OLED. It’s been done since at least June of last year…Not sure how Wood got one already, looks a lot better in person

I mean, if the person in the video didn't get it as an officially sanctioned giveaway from Nintendo, they're a absolute dumbass to make a video like that about it, because Nintendo will be asking them some very harsh questions that wouldn't have been worth it.

Everything you need to know about the new Zelda OLED. It’s been done since at least June of last year…Not sure how Wood got one already, looks a lot better in person

When is the OS/firmware patched onto the chip/system initially? Is it after the unit been completed and assembled? If not, hard to say when it was actually completed by. The chips could have just been sitting around since June of last year and assembled into the OLED shell months later.

That's exactly what it looks like. I can't imagine it being anything else.

Maybe we can use the green glue to make houses too, not just vehicles.
I mean, as long as it's an Ultrahand-able object we should be able to make whatever we want (maybe with an "amount of things" limitation)

Only thing that really let me down slighty is that they are using the same ambient music for some parts. Hajime Wakai (BOTW Sound Director) talked a lot about it when BOTW released, so I am really surprised they kept some of the themes basically untact.
Yeah, the stables music appears to be the same, (or very similar, I hope it's a new arrangement), and some menu sound FX too.

But today we heard a new version of the main theme, and new backgroud music in the sky islands. I can't wait to hear more new things.

Watching the video I think it rules out any underwater stuff as I saw no option for diving underwater. So I feel that confirms no underwater stuff.

Watching the video I think it rules out any underwater stuff as I saw no option for diving underwater. So I feel that confirms no underwater stuff.
No way to do it with his base ability set, but I wouldn't say it's confirmed that you can't at all.

We know of at least two abilities/functions that appear to require a specific item or armor from the leaks

I did catch the fact that when Link was falling, there were button slots that didn't have anything attached. So I imagine we will be seeing some cool stuff like aerial combat when falling among other possible things.

Just had the time to watch it.

Quick first impression opinion:
While I am still very confident that this game will have tons of interesting stuff in it, I have to admit this showing left me with somewhat mixed feeling.

I think the fuse ability is kind of revolutionary, because the possibilities will be almost endless and this will result in hilarious situations again and again, which hopefully keeps combat and traversal fresh throughout.

BUT to me some of it looked immersion breaking.
Picking a bigger object in the world and combining it to something way smaller didn't feel right to me.
The boat-construction seemed unnecessary complicated for this distance. I am not sure how much I will use vehicles like these in the end.
I don't like the battery symbol as another "stamina" icon, you have to watch.
The ascend ability seemed to be slow and looked a little bit out of place, when you are inside a rock.
Fusing stuff to your arrows in the menu each time you shoot, felt cumbersome. Can I make a stash of special arrows in advance?

Sky islands and some of the ground areas looked like a big playground for these abilities, not like an organic landscape.
I think this will be the area, where TotK sets itself apart from BotW - and BotW will still feel unique because of that.
I will have a lot of fun with it, but it might be possible that I will miss the calm and serene melancholy of BotW.

The seamless sky diving is awesome though!

I am curious if they will have several showings like this.

Looking forward to making some crazy Mad Max style vehicles in this. I wonder if there’s a size limitation? Could you make something like a SMB3 airship out of logs and engines, or a huge dump truck with a massive cargo section to carry your shit around in. I guess theres probably a weight vs power element, which sounds cool, can’t wait to see craft with whole banks of wind engines!

Skydiving into water looks ace too.

Anyone notice that those puffs of smoke seen at the beginning of the trailer are coming out of the Stables' giant horses' mouth/nose?

This is neat, because now it will be quite difficult to miss stables, I remember that I missed the stable near the Gerudo desert entrance and didn't find it until after I got the thunder helm.

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of GameXplain but this is the first video comparising new footage

I feel like it would've been wiser if they showed a place that had more changes to it. Aonuma straight up said that it's not the same world as is and it would take ages to name all the changes. And while that's reassureing to hear, it would've been more effective to just show us an example.

That looks like a foundation for a house to me but it feels a bit like a long shot... right?
that's straight up a house. which begs the question "why" and "how extensive can we be". being able to buy the house in Hateno was a popular mechanic but was limited in how much you can customize it. this might be a solution. I do hope we can go crazy with the house building and build large mansions

I feel like it would've been wiser if they showed a place that had more changes to it. Aonuma straight up said that it's not the same world as is and it would take ages to name all the changes. And while that's reassureing to hear, it would've been more effective to just show us an example.
They obviously don't want to show us yet.

No way to do it with his base ability set, but I wouldn't say it's confirmed that you can't at all.

We know of at least two abilities/functions that appear to require a specific item or armor from the leaks

Yep, could be an ability you get from Zora at some point

that's straight up a house. which begs the question "why" and "how extensive can we be". being able to buy the house in Hateno was a popular mechanic but was limited in how much you can customize it. this might be a solution. I do hope we can go crazy with the house building and build large mansions
I wonder if we can actually design the houses ourselves or if we basically just deliver resources to other Hylians to build them. Or maybe a combination of both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom