• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's straight up a house. which begs the question "why" and "how extensive can we be". being able to buy the house in Hateno was a popular mechanic but was limited in how much you can customize it. this might be a solution. I do hope we can go crazy with the house building and build large mansions

I think the main function is a diegetic way to provide more resources that you can use for building stuff. Makes way more sense that planks of wood would be at a construction site, rather than just laying around all over the ground. Maybe you can eventually build houses there as well for a sidequest.

Expanding settlements around stables certainly would fit with the idea of shaping the world, but how does it mesh with Ganon's army being empowered and on the loose?

I think the main function is a diegetic way to provide more resources that you can use for building stuff. Makes way more sense that planks of wood would be at a construction site, rather than just laying around all over the ground. Maybe you can eventually build houses there as well for a sidequest.
would the materials automatically replenish or would you have to find more material? what if you could build out beyond the foundation? how would you bring more materials? so many questions

They obviously don't want to show us yet.
You don't say lol.
I know that this is part of their tight-lipped approach and I personally don't have a problem with it. But they could've still teased a bit to soothe those people that are still not on board with the whole philosophy behind this sequel (which there are not fewer after this showcase). Something like riding around while teasingly hinting at some sort of a new structure in the background via a cheeky camera pan without acknowledging it. I'm not saying that Aonuma should've straight up go "Ohhh, what's that in the background there? Mmmmmmmaybe something exciting to explore like some sort of old temple ;;-))??"

would the materials automatically replenish or would you have to find more material? what if you could build out beyond the foundation? how would you bring more materials? so many questions
Having experience with game development myself I can't possibly imagine how you'd save the state of every material or build you make throughout the game. There's gotta be some garbage collection at some point, right?
You don't say lol.
I know that this is part of their tight-lipped approach and I personally don't have a problem with it. But they could've still teased a bit to soothe those people that are still not on board with the whole philosophy behind this sequel (which there are not fewer after this showcase). Something like riding around while teasingly hinting at some sort of a new structure in the background via a cheeky camera pan without acknowledging it. I'm not saying that Aonuma should've straight up go "Ohhh, what's that in the background there? Mmmmmmmaybe something exciting to explore like some sort of old temple ;;-))??"
They'll still have at least one last trailer before launch, probably a story trailer. Plenty of time for that.

I’m pretty set on the idea that the main function of the surface is to change it or modify it in some way. If that’s the case then it makes sense why they wouldn’t be keen on showing off the changes: they’re player made. They COULD just show off the underground along with the sky but I guess they’re just stubborn.

BOTW map was done in little under 2 years. If they wanted to change the Hyrule massively they would do that in no time. There will be changes, if they haven't shown them today it does not mean they are not here. I assume people (including me) will go wild meeting characters you met in BOTW and how they changed along with the years as well, that's very exciting.

I just noticed the flying enemy carrying the Bokoblin from the last trailer. Also it's weird that you can't see a single sky island in this shot. Not sure if its just draw distance or most of the sky islands are just closer to the edges of the map. There are a lot great shots of the islands as link is falling, trying to find the video in 4k so I can get a better look at them.
mon-fly.jpg

Nintendo is going full Elder Scrolls on us!
TES saves the transform for each item I believe. Or possibly only the XY location, I feel like I remember seeing objects sorta fall onto the ground in the same area where you left them.

For this to work you'd need to save not only the object's transform, but also the exact location of the "glue" connecting one object to the other. That feels like an immense task.

TES saves the transform for each item I believe. Or possibly only the XY location, I feel like I remember seeing objects sorta fall onto the ground in the same area where you left them.

For this to work you'd need to save not only the object's transform, but also the exact location of the "glue" connecting one object to the other. That feels like an immense task.
Skyrim definitely does that. playing it recent on switch, I was surprised like "that's still here?".

in the video, with the way they just abandoned the boat, I figure objects despawn after a certain amount of time and reset. buildings are probably static once built, but that could come at the expense of them not being too customizable. they could solve that by having multiple building types

Skyrim definitely does that. playing it recent on switch, I was surprised like "that's still here?".

in the video, with the way they just abandoned the boat, I figure objects despawn after a certain amount of time and reset. buildings are probably static once built, but that could come at the expense of them not being too customizable. they could solve that by having multiple building types
Yeah that's what I was thinking, they'd have to do garbage collection on at least some of these things. Making a building and then the game recognizing the closest pre-fabbed "template" from a pre-made list that matches seems like a solution they'd come up with.

My hype isn't more or less than it was. It is a sequel to BOTW, that alone is exciting enough. I think what they showed looks cool, not sure how much I will engage with the vehicle build stuff as that king of thing doesn't really do much for me. I do find the fuse ability for weapons fun. My only slight negatives are a bit of the music being recycled and the fact the combat animation looks the same. I want wielding a weapon in BOTW to feel like it did in WW and TP and would like the various weapons to feel different, however, these are minor points. All we saw was 10 minutes, there is obviously so much more and May 12th can't come soon enough.

Got my Pro Controller pre-ordered and my fiancée upset with me that she’ll be busy picking it up because I’ll be too busy playing!

Expanding settlements around stables certainly would fit with the idea of shaping the world, but how does it mesh with Ganon's army being empowered and on the loose?
Maybe we'll be able to rebuild certain specific Areas of Hyrule After clearing It?

Maybe Zelda uses the Slate abilities underground? It would explain how the only magnetic container we’ve seen thus far is apparently in the deep underground…
I am feeling this too. Like when the footage showed Link making the boat it was like why would you need to make a boat for this unless you no longer have access to the ice ability.

I'm personally hoping that we don't have access to these abilities (at least as Link) because it will make us rethink how we approach the world and puzzles.
Especially Cryonis

Cryonis is the one rune in BotW that had very little depth, was very limiting. And arguably it made the game way less fun.

The solution for traveling on water basically amounted to: "Make a line of Cryonis blocks". When the game presented much more interesting choices that never got used. Like magnesia bridges, or finding a raft, or finding a way to fly above it.

Cryonis was really only clever in the shrines, but I would argue it was a detriment to over world exploration

Even more with TotK with these insane crafting mechanics.

Especially Cryonis

Cryonis is the one rune in BotW that had very little depth, was very limiting. And arguably it made the game way less fun.

The solution for traveling on water basically amounted to: "Make a line of Cryonis blocks". When the game presented much more interesting choices that never got used. Like magnesia bridges, or finding a raft, or finding a way to fly above it.

Cryonis was really only clever in the shrines, but I would argue it was a detriment to over world exploration

Even more with TotK with these insane crafting mechanics.

While I agree that Cryonis highways on water was not a fantastic mechanic, Cryonis was much more than that. Tell me building an ice wall in an instant to block an enemy laser while fighting on water wasn't badass.

Edit: maybe "much more" is a stretch 🌝 but I still liked Cryonis.

Ooooohhhhhhhh

I just realized that this "fuse" ability must be something we start out with.

The magic green arm literally "fuses" itself with Link's arm.

I get that it's obvious but I never thought about it in explicit terms.

While I agree that Cryonis highways on the water was not a fantastic mechanic, Cryonis was much more than that. Tell me building an ice wall in an instant to block an enemy laser while fighting on water wasn't badass.

It is cool. It's just extremely situational, way more so than the other runes.

For example, if I were creating a replacement ability for this game, it might be creating a rocky spike out of any ground surface that breaks after a few moments. You could use it to block attacks like cryonis, or attack enemies from beneath their feet. And it could be used to lift certain objects like gates.

While I agree that Cryonis highways on the water was not a fantastic mechanic, Cryonis was much more than that. Tell me building an ice wall in an instant to block an enemy laser while fighting on water wasn't badass.
The only thing is that is so limited. You have to be in a few very specific areas in order to do that.

Meanwhile, all of the other Runes you can use literally at any time, for combat, puzzle solving, or exploration.
Stasis can be used anywhere, and can be used on enemies.
Bombs are bombs.

But even something like Magnesis, you can literally use in any area of the game. Most of the time, there are so many metallic boxes, or doors, or whatnot dotted throughout the world. However, you can literally bring metallic weapons, bows, and shields to use magnesis on, and you can use it on enemy weapons too.

Cryonis was just far too limited compared to the literally any of Link's abilities, so much so I would argue that it didn't really fit BotW.

So Mr. Aonuma went to the stables but he didn't show us if we can pet the dog... Worst gameplay video, 0/10.

Didn't even think about this. You're right. Pre-order canceled.

Only because I found the LE and will shamelessly buy the OLED system too.

It's funny when you watch the in-game timer on the gameplay when there are cuts, they literally have to wait till the full day passes to film some shots.

I honestly think that it is going to be something that you can upgrade.
Maybe they can become more permanent? Though maybe that would only be in certain locations. Like "Gdorf destroyed the bridge that used to be here, think you can bring/make one?" Maybe that's what the vehicles are for. To transport larger amounts of materials/fused objects. Isn't that what Death Stranding does (haven't played it)?

Breath of the Wild: "My adventure was different from yours"

Tears of the Kingdom: that too, but also "My Hyrule is different from yours"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom