• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago I made a post about classic enemies I'd like to see return in TotK and just like the Zelda team I'm releasing some DLC for it. This time I'm only focusing on enemies from BotW and how I'd bring them back in TotK. We've already seen some new takes, including new variants like the Boss Bokoblin or the Talus that acts like a moving base for the Blins. I tried to come up with ideas for some the other types that aren't just "X but big":

Yiga-footsoldier.jpg
Yiga-blademaster.jpg

I've already posted about the Yiga before and thought I'd expound my thoughts and ideas for them. From what I can gather a lot of people aren't huge fans but I actually like hostile Sheikah ambushing you in the overworld. That doesn't mean they can't be improved though. I have mainly two issues with the Yiga Clan encounters. One, they are rather one note and two they become more of an annoyance rather than an actual threat the longer you play. My "simple" solution is basically a simplified version of the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. After the end of Kohga most of the Yiga clan has been scattered except for 8 (unique and named) loyal members that are hiding out in each of the big regions, plotting for revenge. As you fight off their ambushes, they grow in power. All of them start out as lowly footsoldiers and gradually upgrade their weapon, armour and skills, becoming more and more distinct from each other. One could become an expert with shuriken, another could focus on hand to hand combat, one of them would don a heavy armour and attack with an iron club, maybe one Yiga would succumb to malice etc. And once they have reached their "maximum" level, they set up a base where they try to rebuild their own Yiga clan so you have to take them down for good.

Fire-wizzrobe.jpg
Blizzrobe.jpg

Love Wizzrobes but I think they could stand to get stronger forms. I actually really like what the Second Wind modders did with the (scrapped?) Grand Minister Wizzrobe that can summon elemental Keese. It would be cool if they could also summon traps that activate if link steps onto them. More than anything, though, I think they should add more elemental variations. I know that magic in Zelda usually comes in three flavours but it'd make sense to add green Wizzrobes with wind magic to complete them. And then a fifth one, maybe inspired by the purple Wizzrobes from ALttP. I'd give them dark or malice powers and skull masks to set them apart from the others. Also, instead of teleporting the same way the others do, they'd teleport via shadows. Technically feasible? Perhaps not, would be nice though.

Lizalfos-botw.jpg
Fire-breath-lizalfos.jpg

In previous post I already mentioned some ideas to bring back Aeralfos but I think there's room for stronger land-based variants. OoT and MM had the Dinolfos (or Dynalfos in TP) and those seem like a perfect fit. The same way Lizalfos in BotW are inspired by chameleons, I'd look towards a real-life animal, namely the komodo dragon. It basically designs itself: A big, hulking saurian that can spew poison. You'd usually face it by itself but if it's in a group with Lizalfos, it can eat the smaller enemies to recover itself the same way komodo dragons eat their younglings. And if it eats an elemental variant, it absorbs its powers.

Hyrule-Compendium-Lynel.png
Silver_Lynel.jpg

Ironically, Lynels feel like the most difficult ones to bring back in TotK without it feeling a little bit too "been there, done that". In BotW they're the most fleshed out and most impactful enemies and there's little they can do to expand on that unless they change them significantly. Age of Calamity had some new elemental variants which were fun for that type of game but would also feel a little bit out of place. Malice Lynels on the other are a pretty cool idea, I think, and probably consistent with what happens at the beginning of TotK. They could have become so corrupted by malice that they've lost their minds and fight in a more feral Dark Beast Ganon like way without weapons. On top of that, it'd be cool to see different body types, like slimmer Lynels that are faster than the regular ones and prefer to attack from a distance.

Bets on how the Zora and Gerudo get their homes taken from them?
The Gerudo Town waterfall/spring now dispenses liquor and the entire town is drunk out of their mind.

Zora are either having an enormous drought (nice contrast with BotW) or they have a brain disease that makes them tell endless expository gradeschool level drama to each other all the time when all they want to do is continue the darn game because they have enough shock arrows for Piranha Pete's sake

It's over for the The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom video game releasing on the Nintendo Switch home video game console system you can also take on the go.

Nobody should really care about the sales for this game…Nintendo has their estimates and knowing them they’re probably conservative on the sales for TOTK.

I just noticed that the end is in sight officially for "Lazy" me! As I no longer need to scroll down on my Ipad to see ToTK on my official prediction calendar. Which Btw will all come true because, well... its already on my calendar.
calendar-totk.jpg

The Goron have had their mountain Malice-ified and the Rito are apparently enveloped in a giant tornado. Bets on how the Zora and Gerudo get their homes taken from them?
Not answering your question here but it would be cool to see some members of each tribe converge in some sort of makeshift mixed-race refugee camp somewhere (proto republic city)

The Goron have had their mountain Malice-ified and the Rito are apparently enveloped in a giant tornado. Bets on how the Zora and Gerudo get their homes taken from them?
revali is resurrected as “Calamity Revali” and does his biggest gale yet

OK I sense the Marketing Discourse is about to start so how about we take a left turn and discuss something weird, like the video game this thread is about

For the Zora's I also think it will be like a drought potentially. Now could that drought of sort be caused by the damns holding the water back to break? Possibly. Otherwise, I could always seem them go a bit traditional with like frozen over Zora's domain. Or maybe, since we see a lot of mining in the trailers, maybe that mining is polluting the water and so you have to find the source, remove/destroy it to purify the water so the Zora's can safely go in the water again.

For the Gerudo, I can see the castle rising to cause earthquakes in the world and maybe in the desert, this causes giant openings in the earth, making it impossible. Or perhaps, since Ganondorf is back in a Gerudo body of sorts, he tries to reclaim the desert as an enemy base of sorts and lifts up parts of those areas up as well. Maybe you have to defeat on of his subordinates in the area (like that area's boss) to be able to bring areas back down so the people are not trapped (or perhaps the people were able to escape with the help of some Rito).

These are just ideas, but I could always see Nintendo doing something completely different lol

If you had told me back in the E3 2021, that by March 2023 I'd know almost the same about the game, I'd have called you crazy. The waiting for this game has been weird and even frustrating at times. But at least, new info is around the corner and I know for sure that the game will be beyond amazing.

If the Tuesday announcement is legit then it's probably the OLED, some of us have been saying this week is the ideal week for that announcement, for a while.

If it's a shadow drop on twitter then it's not that exciting. If Aonuma appears, then that's real shit.

I can’t bring myself to click a link from that clickbait channel. Maybe it’s true, but he doesn’t deserve the attention for broadcasting every single rumour he “hears” (makes up).
Thanks for posting it in here though, where it won't get more attention.

I can’t bring myself to click a link from that clickbait channel. Maybe it’s true, but he doesn’t deserve the attention for broadcasting every single rumour he “hears” (makes up).

The "multiple YouTubers" is a stretch - these seem to be the most grapeviney telephone game rumour mongery ones who could be leading each other on, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Personally I'm still thinking final trailer a month before release and that's it. If ZOLED is real, separate video with stock footage we already know. They're gonna ride this secrecy out until release.

I don't think they will announce ZOLED without showing new footage.

The "multiple YouTubers" is a stretch - these seem to be the most grapeviney telephone game rumour mongery ones who could be leading each other on, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Personally I'm still thinking final trailer a month before release and that's it. If ZOLED is real, separate video with stock footage we already know. They're gonna ride this secrecy out until release.
It's me. I am the source. It was my contact and things that happened/were said at PAX.
Two other youtubers were simply with me when it was being talked about, and they waited for me to post it up before they did it too. It's cool to be skeptical. I have no idea what it is. LEGO? Another amiibo? Trailer? Direct? OLED? Maybe it's just a new merch drop.

Tuesday is all I was told basically. TOTK something is happening tuesday. Cool.

It's me. I am the source. It was my contact and things that happened/were said at PAX.
Two other youtubers were simply with me when it was being talked about, and they waited for me to post it up before they did it too. It's cool to be skeptical. I have no idea what it is. LEGO? Another amiibo? Trailer? Direct? OLED? Maybe it's just a new merch drop.

So it's only an assumption and hopium, or do you have a Source?

Not sure about your source/contact, but I'm willing to bet it's the Zelda OLED, it makes the most sense. Some of us have been expecting the OLED for this week for a bit.

Last edited:

Personally, Nintendo rumours have been utterly disheartening to follow the past couple of years and I'm not riding that train again.

If 0 hype meant 0 pre-orders I'm sure Nintendo would be worried but as it stands now, it is the most preordered game of the year. NGL I'm starting to think "hype" doesn't matter that much for a huge game like this
I mean, most people in the thread also said they'd probably buy and love it, so yeah hype doesn't really amount to much from their perspective

I wonder if Nintendo has data or something indicating that video game marketing is most effective close to release. I know nothing about marketing, mind you, so could be way off. But it might go some way to explaining their reluctance

OLED is getting announced on Wednesday, not Tuesday.
EDIT: I'm stupid, ignore.
It totally could be announced Tuesday, wasn't consistent for the other oleds. I believe only one was Wednesday. As long as theres no other things happening Tuesday, no reason to believe it couldn't happen.

Last edited:
I mean, most people in the thread also said they'd probably buy and love it, so yeah hype doesn't really amount to much from their perspective

I wonder if Nintendo has data or something indicating that video game marketing is most effective close to release. I know nothing about marketing, mind you, so could be way off. But it might go some way to explaining their reluctance
God of War Ragnarok last year would be an obvious case study on this even for casual observers. The discourse surrounding the game was very similar to what TOTK is going through now, with people saying the game doesn't look like it's doing much different from the predecessor, that it looks too basic, and the vacuum of enthusiast sentiment didn't really turn around somewhat until that September trailer drop when we were two months out of release.

Post-release sentiments are certainly open for discussion on the game quality itself and whether enthusiast assumptions for the game panned out, but in the end the result of this hush-hush approach is a juggernaut critical reception, PlayStation Studios' fastest selling game, and at 11 million units sold worldwide after three months. Hell, even before the marketing ramped up, the game was topping preorder charts.

It totally could be announced Tuesday, wasn't consistent for the other oleds. I believe only one was Wednesday. As long as theres no other things happening Tuesday, no reason to believe it couldn't happen.
Both of them were Wednesday but it does not matter really. I am pretty confident in Wednesday.

Based on the description I'm just imagining the YouTubers hanging around near the ToTK booth as some hooded figure walks up, cryptically mutters something about Tuesday, and disappears without a trace

People have mentioned that relatively little of God of War Ragnarok was shown in advance of release, and likewise Elden Ring.

One reason for this is that if a company are confident in the quality of their game, then they can bank on having good reviews and word of mouth. Obviously, they still need to run plenty of adverts for the game., to make sure that people who don't read games media much are aware of it. However, they don't need to show lots of footage to overcome every last bit of skepticism among people who are looking for news on the game, since ultimately they'll buy the game after the reviews drop. And to some extent, not showing too much of the game can then lead to it having better word-of-mouth.

OK I sense the Marketing Discourse is about to start so how about we take a left turn and discuss something weird, like the video game this thread is about

Mysteriously disappeared because buried under the sand? Would be cool to have underground cities

Misery Mire esque poison swamp for Zora’s please!!

Yeah, I’m down for keeping an eye out on Tuesday.

Not because of random rumours, but our trusted friend PATTERNS.

At the end of the day you can always think about it this way;

If Nintendo were seriously beginning to have concerns that the game wasn't panning out well internally for their decided release date, or that all their TOTK metrics on socials/sales/etc. were looking real bad, that would be more incentive for them to market the game more, not less.

Contrary to popular belief, silence on a product is rarely indicative of lack of confidence. The function of marketing allows you to compensate for that and heavily influence the tone of discourse. Just ask CDPR and Keanu Reeves.

I just noticed that the end is in sight officially for "Lazy" me! As I no longer need to scroll down on my Ipad to see ToTK on my official prediction calendar. Which Btw will all come true because, well... its already on my calendar.
calendar-totk.jpg

This is fun. Lol

What's great about this flood of people who feel the need to tell everyone about how little hype they have is that they are 100% going to end up buying and enjoying the game regardless.

Even then, as soon as Nintendo drops an in-depth final trailer or gameplay showcase, even if it's the week before release, everyone's hype is going to shoot through the roof.

What's great about this flood of people who feel the need to tell everyone about how little hype they have is that they are 100% going to end up buying and enjoying the game regardless.

Crazy. Even in this thread it's always the same people

Based on the description I'm just imagining the YouTubers hanging around near the ToTK booth as some hooded figure walks up, cryptically mutters something about Tuesday, and disappears without a trace
If Temenos were there he could have interrogated this mysterious leaker and got more detailed info out of them.

I’ve been thinking about the relationship of TOTK and BotW and this might be a rare case where a new game could influence my perception of an older one - but there’s tons of ways it could go

For instance, I put BotW as a top 3 of all time. There’s so much it did that was just fucking amazing. But there’s a ton of flaws/areas* that could be so easily improved that I view it as “well this is an amazing template that will obviously be improved in the sequel!” So if TOTK DOESNT address those areas, it could potentially sour me on BotW for inadvertently promising something to me that it ended up having no intention of fulfulling. Yes that’s on me, but it’s still something I’ve taken for granted nonetheless.

On the other hand, TOTK could address most of, if not all of these criticisms. If this were to happen, it could render BotW almost obsolete for me. Especially if it layers on tons of new fun mechanics I didn’t even think of in addition to those improvements. If it gives me all of the improvements that have been discussed - plus the phasing system, vehicles, weapon merging, time reversal, a more dynamic and moving world (the world that BotW already had mind you) - why would I go back? It’s literally bigger and better.

The way BotW could maintain its status for me mainly comes down to tone. That atmospheric, melancholy tone that permeates the game. The immersion into nature. I could see TOTK totally forgoing this in favor of its own mood - perhaps one of more danger? - in order to set itself apart from its predecessor. In that case, there’s still something special worth going back to BotW for. And I DO feel this is pretty likely - I feel like the Zelda team does like to make each game feel unique and able to stand on its own tonally. And I think that’s something TOTK will maintain even if it’s not exactly clear as to how yet.

These are mainly just musings and not meant to be taken TOO seriously, but I do find the potential of how TOTK could change BOTW’s perception interesting to discuss. Not sure if anyone feels the same.

*said complaints include the often discussed more enemy variety and boss variety, better integrations of dungeons/enclosed areas, more aesthetic variety amongst those.

For me personally, it’s not going to be a problem at all. BotW is the no.1 open world game in my heart right now in comparison with other open world games that I’ve played including RDR2, Elden Ring, Death Stranding, GTA5, etc. etc.

If TotK ends up addressing most of BotW’s issues, fixing most of its flaws and even adding much more upon it, then it only means that TotK will become the no.1 open world game in my heart and BotW will move down to the second place.

As for whether BotW will be worth going back to in that case, I don't think it will be a problem either. Games are always improving which is inevitable, yet we still go back to classic games, tolerating all their dated designs and flaws, as long as we still have our fond memories of the game itself, there will always be something worth going back for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom