• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some will question the logic of Nintendo's marketing of a new game being going radio silent and highlighting an old game in the month+ impending release.

Others will get wistfully nostalgic over the fact that it was six years ago we were treated to one of the best games ever made and realize now that we are closer to being treated to a blowout of information than ever before.

Anyway I woke up today and realized that TOTK is going to be a very good game.

Breath of the Wild is, yes.

6078114c-34b4-4914-b248-aa6d1df4e702_text.gif

The fun in coverage is that it makes stuff to think about and check before a game releases. I'm sure the game will be amazing tbh. But like at this point in time, i can just wait till it comes out.

DLC only available on Switch 2 lol and includes new textures for the whole game

Without going into any specifics, it’s very clear this game will take the BotW framework and make it a much grander & complete experience.
What's kinda cool about this for me is:

One of the issues I had with BotW on the first go around is that I was used to the sort of classic progression of Zelda games having you go through an initial small grouping of dungeons before having something open up and change the map where you then revisit a lot of places for the back half (or more) of the game.

BotW obviously didn't do that. But I expected it because there were only four "dungeons" in specific regions yet there were several whole regions and impressive landmarks that had no relevance or significance to the game. I thought after I beat the Divine Beasts then surely something would crop up in those regions and be the "back half" of the game to complete the typical 8-dungeon structure. And there wasn't. I beat the Divine Beasts and the game said "cool, now go get Ganon" and it left me thinking "that's it? No big event that recontextualizes the map and opens a bunch of new stuff up? I literally just got the Master Sword and now the game is over?" And that led to, honestly probably most of what little disappointment I had in the game.

But now, holy hell, TotK looks like it might be the "back half" I was waiting for. The big thing that opens the map up and brings new context, new things to do and see, new places to go and reasons to revisit places that seemed to be there for some reason but just had nothing going on. Taken as a combination, a part 1 and part 2, BotW and TotK could be the exact game I was looking for.

Also something something vast skies above

I get the feeling speed running TotK will involve creating the shoddiest flying vehicle as quickly as possible and flying straight to Ganondorf

But now, holy hell, TotK looks like it might be the "back half" I was waiting for. The big thing that opens the map up and brings new context, new things to do and see, new places to go and reasons to revisit places that seemed to be there for some reason but just had nothing going on. Taken as a combination, a part 1 and part 2, BotW and TotK could be the exact game I was looking for.
It remains fascinating how BotW is simultaneously an amazing game and can obviously be improved on in a gazillion ways.

This should help build some hype with the lead up to the game. The Consouls are doing a series of BOTW covers. First up is Kass’s Theme.

What's kinda cool about this for me is:

One of the issues I had with BotW on the first go around is that I was used to the sort of classic progression of Zelda games having you go through an initial small grouping of dungeons before having something open up and change the map where you then revisit a lot of places for the back half (or more) of the game.

BotW obviously didn't do that. But I expected it because there were only four "dungeons" in specific regions yet there were several whole regions and impressive landmarks that had no relevance or significance to the game. I thought after I beat the Divine Beasts then surely something would crop up in those regions and be the "back half" of the game to complete the typical 8-dungeon structure. And there wasn't. I beat the Divine Beasts and the game said "cool, now go get Ganon" and it left me thinking "that's it? No big event that recontextualizes the map and opens a bunch of new stuff up? I literally just got the Master Sword and now the game is over?" And that led to, honestly probably most of what little disappointment I had in the game.

Also something something vast skies above
I loved BotW and put over 100 hours into it, which is very challenging for me at this stage in my life. That being said, BotW feels like an incomplete experience. From a pure adventure standpoint it was incredible and the puzzle systems were great, but it lacked a certain epicness that has come with other titles in the franchise. To me, that was due to a lack of large, unique themed dungeons and a very underwhelming story. If they can address those issues and add some new mechanics while maintaining the level of exploration found in BotW we are talking about one of the greatest games of all-time. And again, the art book suggests the scale of this game will be far more massive than BotW.

Someone on Reddit has a pretty plausible theory:

that the glyphs are a kind of key that must be scanned from a particular perspective or vantage point in the sky which shows the image at the correct orientation, and that this will unlock a dungeon or something similar. this forces players to think about the map in a new way.

could be a pretty cool puzzle which starts on the ground around each glyph and then encourages exploration of the sky islands above the surrounding area in search of the ‘correct island’

idea seems obvious in hindsight but I haven't seen it laid out like this before
That theory just blew my mind. It's obvious like you said, but also I realize it's a lot like the 'search for your memories' quest from the last game, where you have the find the right locations based on a single photo.

It makes sense that they'd want to bring that kind of quest back for TotK considering the puzzle was the entire world essentially.

If these glyphs actually lead to dungeons it might be my favorite idea the Zelda team has had yet.

Fun find while I was editing some marketing images: if you adjust the image just right, you can see a floating labyrinth from as far back as the September 2022 trailer.

I wonder if TotK will have it's own second act which includes some sort of major shift to the world, I really hope so anyway

I hope so as well. Though, potentially a big downfall of having it possible to go to the final boss immediately is that it makes this possibility less likely. But maybe if you were to try going to the end, it would instantly start the second act or something. I think there's a way they can keep that absolute freedom while making the world state change this time around. Not necessary, I'd be fine if they gate that progress this time around, but I think it might be interesting.

In keeping with the theme of talking about BotW, one of the best music YouTubers (and my favorite) completely out of left field released a video about its soundtrack.

This and everything else by her is really worth checking out - her musical knowledge and talent is out of this world. Also reminded me that I can't wait for the soundtrack of TotK - just like with the game itself we heard so little.

My hype for Tears of the Kingdom is at absolute zero. First Zelda where this is the chase. They f*cked up the marketing very bad.

I was hyped in 2019, when the first teaser was revealed. One month till release and this game still has no identity on its own.

Im sure it will be great. But at the moment i feel nothing go for it.

This is the first time I've seen that someone calls the BotW OST overrated lol. If anything, it's underrated since the majority didn't vibe with the minimalistic approach.

My hype for Tears of the Kingdom is at absolute zero. First Zelda where this is the chase. They f*cked up the marketing very bad.

I was hyped in 2019, when the first teaser was revealed. One month till release and this game still has no identity on its own.

The Hype Train moved over to the Final Fantasy XVI thread with all the new videos from today. Like freakin holy shit that game is looking incredible. There is a few of us keeping the lights on in the Zelda threads just in case Nintendo decides to market this game at some point. :p

Since 2004 my hype is over the roof with 3d Zelda releases. Imo none of them reached my expectations. So now that I’m expecting nothing maybe it will be a good time to be impressed by the game.

The Hype Train moved over to the Final Fantasy XVI thread with all the new videos from today. Like freakin holy shit that game is looking incredible. There is a few of us keeping the lights on in the Zelda threads just in case Nintendo decides to market this game at some point. :p
Final Fantasy XVI gameplay! HYPE!
🔥
🔥
🔥

Final Fantasy XVI gameplay! HYPE!
🔥
🔥
🔥

Fuck man I poured a cup of coffee, sat down at my computer desk, saw there was a bunch of videos so I began slowly watching while sipping on my cup of Joe and my eyes just lit up. The world in that game just looks so damn stunning.

Anyways Zelda. Zelda is a cool... I once had a dream I met her and we hung out and marketed Zelda together. It was great! :LOL:

Fuck man I poured a cup of coffee, sat down at my computer desk, saw there was a bunch of videos so I began slowly watching while sipping on my cup of Joe and my eyes just lit up. The world in that game just looks so damn stunning.

Anyways Zelda. Zelda is a cool... I once had a dream I met her and we hung out and marketed Zelda together. It was great! :LOL:
till too hyped to go back to sleep lol :love::love::love:

XVI looks awesome yeah, can’t believe we’re getting TOTK and that only a month apart. Two of my top 5 franchises of all time

Every Friday for the last few weeks I've been declaring (to myself, mostly) "another week down, another week closer to TotK." It's become a ritual.

he said he knows someone who saw the game played and “there’s going to be heavy exploration in this game” lmao

What a revelation I would’ve never thought this game would have heavy exploration. Can we please make a new topic on this revelation?
I forgot what thread I was in for a second, he says he has a source that has played TotK or are we talking about the DK thing from earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom