• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people say say that dev time is a combination between scope creep and pandemic slowing development down, and sometimes, there's a bit of back and forth on the issue. I was thinking about it, and made a sort of theoretical calendar.

Back half of 2017: Pre-production.
Beginning of 2018: Entering production.
All of 2018: Everything going according to plan.
First half of 2019: Coming along well, well enough to announce it.
Second half of 2019: Gearing up for a late 2020 release.
Beginning of 2020: Pandemic hits, development slows down, delayed internally out of 2020 to who-knows-when.
All of 2020: Development cotinuing, but slowly so.
End of 2020: Scope creep. Aiming for 2022.
First half of 2021: Proceeding as planned, under circumstances at least.
Back half of 2021: More scope creep. Decision made to delay to spring 2023.
All of 2022: Supposedly devoted to polish and finishing touches.
I think that BOTW2 was never ever planned as a 2020 release. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity was their 2020 Zelda title and it was not delayed due to Covid since it was far along in development at that time.

Some people say say that dev time is a combination between scope creep and pandemic slowing development down, and sometimes, there's a bit of back and forth on the issue. I was thinking about it, and made a sort of theoretical calendar.

Beginning of 2020: Pandemic hits, development slows down, delayed internally out of 2020 to who-knows-when.

I don't think it was ever going to be late 2020. Don't see it coming out the same year as Age of Calamity.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the original plan was March 2022. They literally don't know what "announcing too early" means.

I think that BOTW2 was never ever planned as a 2020 release. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity was their 2020 Zelda title and it was not delayed due to Covid since it was far along in development at that time.

I don't think it was ever going to be late 2020. Don't see it coming out the same year as Age of Calamity.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the original plan was March 2022. They literally don't know what "announcing too early" means.
It wasn’t going to be a 2020 game I agree. If it was going to be a 2020 game Nintendo would’ve announced it releasing for 2020. They do this with Zelda and that’s why we always get the infamous delay for Zelda. Because there has to be release dates Zelda was delayed from.

It wasn’t going to be a 2020 game I agree. If it was going to be a 2020 game Nintendo would’ve announced it releasing for 2020. They do this with Zelda and that’s why we always get the infamous delay for Zelda. Because there has to be release dates Zelda was delayed from.
Of course, if it would be 2020 game it would get a release date at E3 2019. But still, Zelda games are not announced this close to release date. Give it 2+ years at minimum.

Of course, if it would be 2020 game it would get a release date at E3 2019. But still, Zelda games are not announced this close to release date. Give it 2+ years at minimum.
Yeah this would’ve been a planned late 2021 game. Then I gave them a year or so for Covid delay so that puts us into 2022. They like to announce Zelda games very early. I’m not sure what other series Nintendo does this with on a consistent basis.

The vertical exploration options in botw2 will be amazing. I think it will elevate it to another level. I mean the possibility to warp to any surface above you will open up a lot of possibilities for secrets and puzzles. The time reversal mechanic will also open up some mind blowing tactics and puzzles. No need for skepticism if you just think about the possibilities of those 2 game play hints. It will be hard to beat the revolutionary take of botw but botw2 just might pull it off.

The vertical exploration options in botw2 will be amazing. I think it will elevate it to another level. I mean the possibility to warp to any surface above you will open up a lot of possibilities for secrets and puzzles. The time reversal mechanic will also open up some mind blowing tactics and puzzles. No need for skepticism if you just think about the possibilities of those 2 game play hints. It will be hard to beat the revolutionary take of botw but botw2 just might pull it off.
Yep. I don’t think some people realize how much fun this phasing mechanic will end up being. Probably going to have boss fights where we phase up and down rooms too.

My post was only speculative, y'all are probably right.

I was, however, hardcore on board with half of all Zeldatubers over the idea of it showing up at TGA 2019. Oh dear.

I'm psyched over the ground phasing. I keep wondering how 'far up' the ability allows us to get. The "going up a hill and glide down" of BotW turing into "phase through the ground to the island above you and skydive down"... holy hell.

I think the 2019 announcement was because Nintendo want to hire more developers for the sequel.

I don't think there was another trailer planned for that E3. That was probably the only trailer. They would have known well in advance, long before E3, that the game wasn't coming out that year and probably not till at least late 2022. The first trailer was just to gives hints about the narrative. The second trailer was meant to show off some of the new gameplay mechanics and concepts while not divulging a whole lot. You probably think the first trailer is higher quality and higher budget because it shows off more story stuff. The second trailer is more focused on actual gameplay, not so much the story. They probably don't want to show off more of the story until the big title unveil trailer.
Oh, i dont think it was a "1 week prior" story, such trailers are in the works for months. You need to plan it, capchure the scenes, etc.
I just feel like many of them fellt...lacking. Its not that the first one was cutscenes. Its that half of the shown stuff feelt kinda like filler(at least to me).
And the initial showing of ganon and zelda...the "recap" of the first trailer... that fellt really cheap.
The music is fully fleshed out, thats why i think there was another trailer planned, but that they removed more explicit elements in advance and exchanged them for less revealing ones, because they realised they wont release it that year. That probably happened 2 or 3 months in advance, the decision.

My main takeaways are:
  • If not already, then soon Arlo will categorise BOTW like Super Mario 64, important rather than great. I got shat upon by this forum for suggesting it could need defending in any way but its legacy is heading in that direction much to my chagrin. It's not just the "vocal minority".
  • For Arlo and others like Andy Spitieri, the anticipation of the game is just as important as the game itself to overall experience. I of course don't give a shit, just give me the game. But I do find it frustrating when these characters seem to be saying that despite the quality of the game, they won't really properly give it a chance.
  • He's very quick to make assumptions that it will just be the same map with some sky islands. He's really low-balling the probability there's a lot more to it than has been revealed so far.
  • How long until Arlo stops being a Nintendo guy? He doesn't really seem to like much about it these days. He's gone off Zelda. His reception of Mario is hit and miss because he only likes the "sandbox" games. He hates Paper Mario. There's Pikmin, but that's not a regular thing. And now he doesn't like the Switch itself.
How long will it take people to realize that Arlo was never a good, level headed opinion person? He's always been trash with uneducated statements, horribly biased perspectives, and an annoying gimmick. I wish they'd stop being posted here as a valuable opinion.

Arlo is gonna keep being a nintendo tuber, even if he turns mostly negative. I also wouldn't be surprising if he's more popular because of it

Arlo's schtick ran dry when he couldn't move on from Paper Mario. Not sure why people continue to watch him.

I can totally relate to Arlo's hype exhaustion, tbh. Ok, he downplayed the effects of covid on the game's development and i think the game will be a lot more than the original map of BOTW, and it's definitely not the fault of the developers, but whatever the reasons, a lot of time has passed. I can't feel the same anticipation i felt like, before E3 last year. "Will BOTW2 appear this time or not", we ask each other over and over again. Then hype, hype, hype, and then another teaser. One gets tired of this cycle. As for his concerns about the quality of the game... I might have had these once, but not for the same reasons. I really don't think that the game will repeat BOTW's flaws. I was concerned that these scope creeps and new ideas might turn the game into a Frankenstein, i liked last year's trailer but over time it became weirder and weirder to me. But it's probably a minor concern caused by the few, random details we know about the game so far. I don't think he's trolling when he made the Elden Ring comparison, i just think it's a bad comparison. BOTW2 doesn't have to be like Elden Ring, period. Apples and oranges. On the other hand, the fact that there are so many good games coming out, so many games planned to release this year, that this wait in no way feels like a drought. I became a Xenoblade fan last year, Xenoblade 3 was revealed in February, is coming out exactly two months from now, we know a lot about it already and i'm so hyped! BOTW is my all-time favorite game, BOTW2 will be one of the greatest games ever, but i think covid pretty much messed up its marketing and hype for me, personally. It became more of an ethereal, eternal hype entity than a "solid", "real" game.

Last edited:
Long term hype is something i never care for.

It’s rather pointless since the real anticipation comes when the game is that Friday of the week leading up to release. Reviews are coming out. More footage. Previews arrived the week prior. That’s when it’s getting fun. The forum is a bit more active and someone lucky bastard brags about getting the game early cause Amazon made a mistake, but we all know that someone broke into a target warehouse, went all solid snake mode and run off with a copy.

So, I get why people are upset. But I find it strange how personal some take it when they don’t feel hype and they wanna feel hype for something. It doesn’t matter. No need to be angry about, I’ve had to stop listening to a Zelda podcast cause the host is legit upset about the BOTW release taking too long with no info. They claim they’re not, but they are clearly lying lol. But the claim that actually bugged me is that they keep down playing covid even after saying “ I get covid” but don’t mean it. It’s just, ignore it.

But I guess when you’re a Zelda content creator. You got nothing but to rant at the moment. Or look up patents lol

Last edited:
I was once like Arlo: desperate, anxious and negative towards everything Nintendo does.

However, after BotW exceeding my already high expectations, and the big amount of games to play on Switch, I decided to just wait patiently until the next Zelda game.

I made my mind before the delay announcement, that the game wouldn’t come until 2023, and I’m almost sure that the game is coming later than March 2023 as some expect. Even, wouldn’t be mad if the decide to delay even further.

I prefer to wait and see what do they have in store for us, and meanwhile enjoy the games already released.

• If not already, then soon Arlo will categorise BOTW like Super Mario 64, important rather than great. I got shat upon by this forum for suggesting it could need defending in any way but its legacy is heading in that direction much to my chagrin. It's not just the "vocal minority".

why in the world is anyone supposed to care that some blue puppet with a gamecube fetish doesnt think botw is "great" or whatever

botw sold like like 25 million copies, arlo videos pull like a couple hundred thousand views at most. literally a vocal minority lol

why in the world is anyone supposed to care that some blue puppet with a gamecube fetish doesnt think botw is "great" or whatever

botw sold like like 25 million copies, arlo videos pull like a couple hundred thousand views at most. literally a vocal minority lol
because vindication. that's what drives a lot of negative video watching, I think

Arlo is a tired format.

edit: let's put it this way. I'd rather share a forum with Zippo than watch another Arlo video ever.

because vindication. that's what drives a lot of negative video watching, I think

ill hate watch shit for fun sometimes but lord its wild to actually worry about the cultural impact of a puppet man with 600k subscribers lol

Eh, I can relate to the notion that having a direct sequel in the same engine and art style 5+ years later is going to not feel as groundbreaking as a whole new and fresh mainline Zelda game.

It‘s an opportunity cost: We could have gotten a fresh new Zelda game in the time it took them to develop the sequel. Therefore, it better feel as though it‘s a brand-new Zelda game.

I was once like Arlo: desperate, anxious and negative towards everything Nintendo does.

However, after BotW exceeding my already high expectations, and the big amount of games to play on Switch, I decided to just wait patiently until the next Zelda game.
This was me for years, except replace "BotW" with "Skyward Sword."

I'm seriously embarrassed by how edgy and anti-Nintendo I was through the GameCube and (most of) the Wii generations. I wish I had the guts to turn my frustrations into a muppet-run youtube channel.

(Plus Arlo has talked pretty openly about mental health struggles in the past, so I don't hold his frustrations against him. Venting can be healthy for people who struggle, even if it's off-putting to the people who hear it)

Eh, I can relate to the notion that having a direct sequel in the same engine and art style 5+ years later is going to not feel as groundbreaking as a whole new and fresh mainline Zelda game.

It‘s an opportunity cost: We could have gotten a fresh new Zelda game in the time it took them to develop the sequel. Therefore, it better feel as though it‘s a brand-new Zelda game.
True, yeah.
But at the same time, having so much work already done opens so many tantalising possibilities for amazing mechanics, locations, surprises, dungeons, the works. Like, they can just focus on content, instead of reinventing the core. Isn't that kinda exciting?
Majora's Mask is so far ahead of Ocarina in so many ways, for example. And yes, that was a quick sequel, and this isn't.

But the thing is, once you have it in your hands, those six years aren't going to mean anything. You'll never really think again about how long you waited for this game, except as a point of comparison for the next one.

imo.
idk maybe it'll forever burn for you!

I agree with parts of Arlo's message. Personally I like Zelda: Breath of the Wild a lot more then Eldin Ring but that's just my opinion and he's entitled to his own. I don't care for games that are super brutal and hard and games that don't offer much in the way of storytelling. I thought Breath of the Wild was kind of lacking in story but Eldin Ring has far less story. Both are good games but I much prefer Zelda.

Moving on from that, where I do agree with Arlo is on the trailer they showed being very underwhelming. The core of the trailer was the same Hyrule map with additions like the floating islands and the same visuals and atmosphere (with some slight visual improvements). I thought the trailer looked more like a small expansion pack then a full on sequel that would go on to take the Zelda team 6+ years to develop. I was very underwhelmed by the trailer last year to say the least.

HOWEVER... I am personally thinking that Nintendo is hiding A LOT with this game. What do I mean? I think the game will be much bigger in scope then probably any of us realize. I imagine the map will be significantly bigger with underground, land, sea and sky areas. I wouldn't be surprised if time plays and element in this game changing the map through different time periods, etc. Most of this has not been shown yet but in some ways hinted at. I believe Zelda will deliver something epic but we just haven't seen any of that yet and it's hard to get excited when you don't really know what you're getting and it's been such a long wait so I understand Arlo's frustration here. What we saw was completely underwhelming especially after such a long wait but I do have faith that what we will actually get will be something truly special and wonderful. We really just got to wait until Nintendo is finally ready to talk about that game.

There is always a possibility that the game went through significant development hell and it will just be BOTW 1.5 and nothing more but I would rather remain hopeful that them spending 6+ years on a game that already reuses the engine, physics and map is a huge indication that this game is going to be something epic. It would have been like 9+ years if they had to redevelop the engine, physics, map, etc. This is a lot of development time and also with the largest amount of developers on it for a Zelda game. I can't see this game being anything but incredible and I have that feeling Nintendo is intentionally downplaying it in teasers so far so they can shock everyone in the actual full reveal. Just my theory though, time will tell but it's ok to be cautiously excited. :)

It‘s kind of crazy to me that they needed to delay this game after such a long development time. It‘d be fascinating to know more about the development history of this game. Hopefully we‘ll get some insights from Nintendo or trusted insiders.

Even if we say that most of the team was focusing on DLC until 2018 and development had to shut down for most of 2020, that still leaves 4+ years of active development for this game. Wow.

It‘s kind of crazy to me that they needed to delay this game after such a long development time. It‘d be fascinating to know more about the development history of this game. Hopefully we‘ll get some insights from Nintendo or trusted insiders.

Even if we say that most of the team was focusing on DLC until 2018 and development had to shut down for most of 2020, that still leaves 4+ years of active development for this game. Wow.
This is the same company that allowed Next Level Games a lot of experimenting time for a 3ds game. They no doubt experienced some difficulties, but I wouldn't put it past them to just want to cram more ideas into the game

They could release BotW 1.1 and would still be the 2nd greatest game of all time for me (behind BotW, of course). I do agree that on hindsight, the first trailer was much promising than the second, but at the time I really loved the second trailer. Now yeah, I see that it's BotW with sky islands, new mechanics and little more, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. And even if it wasn't, as I said, that game would be bonkers.

It's become really silly how people just need "hype" today to enjoy stuff. How we've given so much value to that feeling of "I need this" despite the thing still not being available is getting ridiculous.

I just want to know what the game's truly about and when it releases, I don't care about feeling or not feeling "hype" for it.

It's become really silly how people just need "hype" today to enjoy stuff. How we've given so much value to that feeling of "I need this" despite the thing still not being available is getting ridiculous.

I just want to know what the game's truly about and when it releases, I don't care about feeling or not feeling "hype" for it.
Yeah I'm not checking out the video but from the conversation here it definitely seems that Hype Culture is a part of the problem; I like getting excited for and looking forward to games, but I don't need to partake in The Hype for something that may take years to materialise and, in this case, it's a game where we definitely don't know that much about it. It's going to be a 100 hour plus experience to see everything it has to offer and we have what, four or five minutes of footage? And that doesn't account for how malleable the game's systems may be which, if Breath of the Wild is anything to go by, means people will spend 5 years after release discovering new implementations of the mechanics.

For me the nagging disappointment with Zelda as a franchise is simply that we've gone from getting a new game in the series roughly once every 2 years or so, to getting one new game after six years. Yes, spin-offs are great (I'm fully on board with both Age of Calamity and Cadence of Hyrule), and as an enormous fan of the series (it's one of my Holy Trinity of Favourite Things, along with the music/poetry of Leonard Cohen and the works of Tolkein), I will absolutely buy those goddamn remakes/remasters. Link's Awakening was especially pleasing because it's perhaps my personal favourite in the series, even if I wouldn't describe it as The Best Zelda.

For me this issue doesn't make Breath of the Wild 2 less exciting - reusing the same visual style can make for a very different atmosphere and experience, as Majora's Mask has already shown. And, equally, shifting the visual style is no guarantee that the basic gameplay loop will be overhauled, as post-Ocarina Zelda attests (even if I think people often forget or downplay the amount of variety between games in the 19 years between Ocarina and BotW). But ultimately it still means that two of the Zelda releases we got between new mainline games were re-releases; one is a spin-off which reuses the world, characters and visual style of BotW; and another is the real wildcard, being an indie-developed Zelda rhythm game.

It's a shame to lose that variety from one game to the next, where something like Phantom Hourglass can release a year after Twilight Princess, which itself was a little over a year from something else as different as Four Swords Adventures. A lot of this is simply down to how time-consuming and resource intensive modern development is, but certainly I think Zelda can and should justify more investment at EPD to make sure we don't lose the top-down entries. I'm sure Nintendo aren't done with that, yet, but who knows how long before we get something new in that vein.

Long term hype is something i never care for.

It’s rather pointless since the real anticipation comes when the game is that Friday of the week leading up to release. Reviews are coming out. More footage. Previews arrived the week prior. That’s when it’s getting fun. The forum is a bit more active and someone lucky bastard brags about getting the game early cause Amazon made a mistake, but we all know that someone broke into a target warehouse, went all solid snake mode and run off with a copy.

So, I get why people are upset. But I find it strange how personal some take it when they don’t feel hype and they wanna feel hype for something. It doesn’t matter. No need to be angry about, I’ve had to stop listening to a Zelda podcast cause the host is legit upset about the BOTW release taking too long with no info. They claim they’re not, but they are clearly lying lol. But the claim that actually bugged me is that they keep down playing covid even after saying “ I get covid” but don’t mean it. It’s just, ignore it.

But I guess when you’re a Zelda content creator. You got nothing but to rant at the moment. Or look up patents lol
Out of curiosity, which Zelda podcast was this?

It's funny that a post on another thread implied there is little point to getting after its initial release because the hype will be over. It seems sad to me that some people can't just enjoy games for what they are.

But it is puts more context into a running gag at Famiboards about how subversive it is to actually just like playing games. It seems to be true that there are people who value the meta aspects surrounding gaming more than gaming itself.

Now let’s hope Nintendo is ready haha
Let's hope at least somebody is ready
1719807.jpg

Yeah I'm not checking out the video but from the conversation here it definitely seems that Hype Culture is a part of the problem; I like getting excited for and looking forward to games, but I don't need to partake in The Hype for something that may take years to materialise and, in this case, it's a game where we definitely don't know that much about it. It's going to be a 100 hour plus experience to see everything it has to offer and we have what, four or five minutes of footage? And that doesn't account for how malleable the game's systems may be which, if Breath of the Wild is anything to go by, means people will spend 5 years after release discovering new implementations of the mechanics.

For me the nagging disappointment with Zelda as a franchise is simply that we've gone from getting a new game in the series roughly once every 2 years or so, to getting one new game after six years. Yes, spin-offs are great (I'm fully on board with both Age of Calamity and Cadence of Hyrule), and as an enormous fan of the series (it's one of my Holy Trinity of Favourite Things, along with the music/poetry of Leonard Cohen and the works of Tolkein), I will absolutely buy those goddamn remakes/remasters. Link's Awakening was especially pleasing because it's perhaps my personal favourite in the series, even if I wouldn't describe it as The Best Zelda.

For me this issue doesn't make Breath of the Wild 2 less exciting - reusing the same visual style can make for a very different atmosphere and experience, as Majora's Mask has already shown. And, equally, shifting the visual style is no guarantee that the basic gameplay loop will be overhauled, as post-Ocarina Zelda attests (even if I think people often forget or downplay the amount of variety between games in the 19 years between Ocarina and BotW). But ultimately it still means that two of the Zelda releases we got between new mainline games were re-releases; one is a spin-off which reuses the world, characters and visual style of BotW; and another is the real wildcard, being an indie-developed Zelda rhythm game.

It's a shame to lose that variety from one game to the next, where something like Phantom Hourglass can release a year after Twilight Princess, which itself was a little over a year from something else as different as Four Swords Adventures. A lot of this is simply down to how time-consuming and resource intensive modern development is, but certainly I think Zelda can and should justify more investment at EPD to make sure we don't lose the top-down entries. I'm sure Nintendo aren't done with that, yet, but who knows how long before we get something new in that vein.
I mean... you are actually mirroring part of the sentiment.
You are kind of sad that we get so little zelda over time, since it moved to longer cycles.
With the things we saw in the last trailere, this feels less like the "new" zelda, and more like an expansion, after 6 years.
We dont get fresh zelda (with new zelda gameplay, not spinoffs or ports/remakes), so the expectations are pretty high...
and in that regard the last trailer was just eh. Arlo is definitely to pessimistic (like often), but i to wish that it is just deflecting and there is way more then they hinted at, + i would wish for more small scale zelda games. I mean, i get it, games are more expensive to make then 20 years ago, but a 2D zelda every hand full of years should really not be that hard, and even the old 3D style could work in smaller scale more intimate projects (less Twilight Princess and more Majoras Mask).

I personally dont really buy ports , and the spinoffs did not scratch my zelda itch. I played LA, but it was kinda to close to the original for me, to scratch that itch...and felt like a step back after ALBW from an gameplay perspective (smothness, or that they did not usilize all the buttons, menu diving was STILL neded...)

I mean... you are actually mirroring part of the sentiment.
You are kind of sad that we get so little zelda over time, since it moved to longer cycles.
With the things we saw in the last trailere, this feels less like the "new" zelda, and more like an expansion, after 6 years.
We dont get fresh zelda (with new zelda gameplay, not spinoffs or ports/remakes), so the expectations are pretty high...
and in that regard the last trailer was just eh. Arlo is definitely to pessimistic (like often), but i to wish that it is just deflecting and there is way more then they hinted at, + i would wish for more small scale zelda games. I mean, i get it, games are more expensive to make then 20 years ago, but a 2D zelda every hand full of years should really not be that hard, and even the old 3D style could work in smaller scale more intimate projects (less Twilight Princess and more Majoras Mask).

I personally dont really buy ports , and the spinoffs did not scratch my zelda itch. I played LA, but it was kinda to close to the original for me, to scratch that itch...and felt like a step back after ALBW from an gameplay perspective (smothness, or that they did not usilize all the buttons, menu diving was STILL neded...)
The big difference here is that my excitement for the next Zelda isn't dimmed by me wanting more new 2D Zelda. That's the point I was making, somewhere in my ramble.

The big difference here is that my excitement for the next Zelda isn't dimmed by me wanting more new 2D Zelda. That's the point I was making, somewhere in my ramble.
That i got, and im with you on that front.
I feel the dissapointment comes from the initial thought, that its a Majoras Style quick sequeell to have Zelda faster, and for that its accepted to reuse stuff, but with it being ~ the longest between new main entries, it being just "more of the same" feels kinda like we are moving in a terrytory where we get a truly fresh zelda experience every 10 years...

(All that hangs on the aspect, that the last trailer was underwhelming and was clearly hiding so much, that it felt more like the trailer for the Champions balade 2 then the next big Zelda game)

Since the title have spoilers in it, you will learn the title when you buy the game in store, that's the biggest thing. As for digital purchases on the eShop the game will just be called The sequel to The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild but when you boot it up after purchasing it will show you the title in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom