• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My suspicion is that these goo-vehicles are late game, and perhaps have other limitations. I cannot see the team completely foregoing the utility of a horse, or making them feel impractical or useless again

My wife was just lamenting the horse situation in Breath of the Wild. She loved finding, taming, and riding them, but the game didn’t make using them remotely convenient until the DLC.
they adressed that with the dlc, but in a backwards way.
Having the ability to call your horse after teleportation to anywhere makes them way more usable outstart of the start of the game.

but then: master cycle zero ruins it for late game.
that the item for the horse is hidden makes it hard to get early if its your first playthrough, and that your horse has to have it makes the horse customization pointless, since you cant decide how it should look, cause without this item you wont even be able to see it.
Just having a point where link gets the skill (first visit to the horse good? giving him something?) to call it (and having that in the base game instead of DLC...) would probably alleviated a lot of the problems.

It's viral marketing for TotK. Nintendo is sending wave after wave of Octorok balloon and flying Zonai constructs all over the globe.

Genius.

Producer: "Hey Aonuma ... our viral marketing campaign with those flying balloons didn't go as we thought it would."
Aonuma: "Oh, really? What happened?"
Producer: "We kinda almost started a war between the USA and China and some US General talks about it being Aliens."
Aonuma: "... Well fuck, i went too early for the new haircut ..."

lol that other TotK thread is pretty damn negative. I only briefly skimmed over it but @Skittzo was like the only one fighting the good fight in there haha

I did my part in the other, similar thread, so i'm kinda tired of it.

Plus, i had to F5 and keep watching the german retailers today as they all opened up the TotK CE preorders.

My opinion: If people really want to believe the Zelda team (of all devs) are out of ideas and you're getting BotW 1.5 without dungeons, shrines, and so on, which also somehow took them 4 years (2 years removed due to Covid shittery) ... let them.

lol that other TotK thread is pretty damn negative. I only briefly skimmed over it but @Skittzo was like the only one fighting the good fight in there haha
Admittingly. I put it on ignore cause I've been repeating myself too much and I've had similar conversations during BotW's pre-release which didn't matter because I never actually changed anyone's mind back then, until the game actually came out and impressions were rolling in. I would rather expend my energy endlessly theorizing about the game.

I think the team has been stingy with what they've shown but the marketing has literally just begun, and the way some folks talk about it, they want the marketing of this game to be some kind of acknowledgement of "we did this wrong in BotW and we're fixing it here" which I don't think is how they would or should do it. They're going to double down on the features that made BotW great because they're building off the goodwill of that game, and they'll let any improvements speak for themselves.

Obviously it's ok to not be hyped but I disagree with the surface level pessimistic conclusions being drawn.

I did my part in the other, similar thread, so i'm kinda tired of it.

Plus, i had to F5 and keep watching the german retailers today as they all opened up the TotK CE preorders.

My opinion: If people really want to believe the Zelda team (of all devs) are out of ideas and you're getting BotW 1.5 without dungeons, shrines, and so on, which also somehow took them 4 years (2 years removed due to Covid shittery) ... let them.
Thats the crazy thing to me. Nintendo might do alot of stuff wrong but being lazy with a Zelda release isnt one of them. They have like 6 zelda games rated 95 and up on metacritic. Its a franchise that they put alot of love and resources behind,

Admittingly. I put it on ignore cause I've been repeating myself too much and I've had similar conversations during BotW's pre-release which didn't matter because I never actually changed anyone's mind back then, until the game actually came out and impressions were rolling in. I would rather expend my energy endlessly theorizing about the game.

I think the team has been stingy with what they've shown but the marketing has literally just begun, and the way some folks talk about it, they want the marketing of this game to be some kind of acknowledgement of "we did this wrong in BotW and we're fixing it here" which I don't think is how they would or should do it. They're going to double down on the features that made BotW great because they're building off the goodwill of that game, and they'll let any improvements speak for themselves.

Obviously it's ok to not be hyped but I disagree with the surface level pessimistic conclusions being drawn.
yup agree with everything you just said

I muted the thread tbh.

I believe most will turn around when Nintendo decides to let the marketing floodgates open. I'm pretty confident in the Zelda EPD team plus supporting staff helping make TOTK the best it can be.

My OLED just arrived. My body is ready!

Thinking about buying Skyward Sword and new Pokemon besides Totk. Though not sure if I can finish a certain game before Totk as my gaming time is too restricted nowadays.

My only fear right now is Nintendo shadow dropping an upgraded hardware....XD
That would be the worst timeline for me.

My approach to that level of negativity is multifaceted.

First:

Then when it continues:

Then for my sanity:

But really, we should all embrace this.

Nintendo, not thinking of anything new (TM) since Hanafuda and a weird guy saving a princess from a monkey, prrrrrresenting you ANOTHER timeless piece of ununUN-IN-SPI-RED Enter-tainment we worked 5 years on with a team of at least 200 people without rushing at all! ---

--- The skies, the ground, the UNDER-ground, vehicle customization, weapon customization, equipment, exploration, 100 square kilometres of EMPTYNESS, puzzles, a story and everything working seamless within a physics world....

DULL DROLLNESS A-PLENTY!!!

We have NO idea what we're doing!

Last edited:

I have suspected for awhile now that TotK will have a loud vocal minority when this game releases, who are not going to like this game pretty much under any circumstances even if they get a few of the changes they want to see about what they think needed to be improved over BotW because they are not going to get them all.

And ironically the ones who are complaining that TotK looks too similar to BotW and it’s just going be glorified DLC are the ones complaining about very specific things like only weapons breaking, not being able to climb in the rain or the map being too similar etc and somehow if these specific mechanics are not changed it will ruin the game. But they don’t add a single new idea to the conversation or want talk about other aspects they might be looking forward to, so essentially they are asking for BotW 1.5 or BotW DLC but just with the changes they want and they don’t even seem to realize it.
I’m so happy everyone in this thread has amazing ideas and takes the time to add more to everyone‘s conversations and ideas it really makes the wait for this game much more bearable and fun.

My OLED just arrived. My body is ready!

Thinking about buying Skyward Sword and new Pokemon besides Totk. Though not sure if I can finish a certain game before Totk as my gaming time is too restricted nowadays.

My only fear right now is Nintendo shadow dropping an upgraded hardware....XD
That would be the worst timeline for me.
I bought an OLED this week too 😅 hopefully can resell if they drop something

This is weird question to ask but that upgraded Sheikah Slate that Zelda is holding in that art, Link will use it too as some point right? They haven't showed it but like am sure the map and camera will work with it.

This is weird question to ask but that upgraded Sheikah Slate that Zelda is holding in that art, Link will use it too as some point right? They haven't showed it but like am sure the map and camera will work with it.
I think Zelda will use it. Zelda is going to have some gameplay function, whether she's fully playable or you have sections where she travels with you.

Maybe she'll be a "commander" kind of character who gives Link commands via the sheikah slate.

And ironically the ones who are complaining that TotK looks too similar to BotW and it’s just going be glorified DLC are the ones complaining about very specific things like only weapons breaking, not being able to climb in the rain or the map being too similar etc and somehow if these specific mechanics are not changed it will ruin the game.
I think the expectations around this game "looking like" BotW should have been established back in 2019 when they showed that first look. If two games are going to share the same art style and engine then looking similar is an inevitability. And this is a sequel building off BotW's ideas, so yes, I always expected ancient magic powers to manipulate the world. The new game needs to distinguish itself by characters, tone and environment, which is what Majora's Mask does (swamp instead of forest, ocean instead of lake, snowhead instead of Death Mountain) and what we've glimpsed of Tears's new zones, I can't easily point to an area in BotW and say "yes, it's just like that".

Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_Screen_13.jpg
Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_Screen_07.jpg

Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_Screen_20.jpg

Already I prefer the look of the sky compared to shrines because they look like a part of the seamless world, and the underground just looks completely alien with its organic creepiness, entire pools of malice and possibly even spirits.

Btw these screenshots look so crisp, shitty YouTube compression does not do this game's artstyle favors.

I hope he doesn't, the idea of him having both the Slate and the Arm feels overencumbering, and feels at odds with the theming of this game centered on an entirely different ancient civilization. I'd rather he have a physical map and a bespoke Picto Box. But it would be great for Zelda to be the sole owner of the Slate since she was last seen with the original investigating Vah Ruta and she's the tech nerd obsessed with it.

I think Zelda will use it. Zelda is going to have some gameplay function, whether she's fully playable or you have sections where she travels with you.

Maybe she'll be a "commander" kind of character who gives Link commands via the sheikah slate.

Yup I think Nintendo is lining up a series of "oh shit" Zelda reveal drops leading up to release and playable Zelda I believe will be one of those moments. The fact that she is holding a new Sheikah Slate suggests this to me. Otherwise they likely would have just had her holding the old one. Just a matter of being patient and waiting. I think we are in for some significant surprises for this game. I trust Nintendo knows what they are doing with TOTK but they don't want to reveal everything right now. By May 12th I feel most of us will be positively glowing when it comes to excitement for this game.

I hope he doesn't, the idea of him having both the Slate and the Arm feels overencumbering, and feels at odds with the theming of this game centered on an entirely different ancient civilization. I'd rather he have a physical map and a bespoke Picto Box. But it would be great for Zelda to be the sole owner of the Slate since she was last seen with the original investigating Vah Ruta and she's the tech nerd obsessed with it.
I haven't thought of physical map, and it would indeed make sense as the towers are not very much technology oriented this time.

I haven't thought of physical map, and it would indeed make sense as the towers are not very much technology oriented this time.
The arm could project some kind of hologram for a map? No idea how we will be able to zoom though, nor take photos (I'm assuming photo taking will return here, I think that's a safe bet).

The arm could project some kind of hologram for a map? No idea how we will be able to zoom though, nor take photos (I'm assuming photo taking will return here, I think that's a safe bet).
Remember how Tingle was first introduced?
008.png

That's right, fucking balloons.

I can totally see us unlocking maps from Tingle Hollow Knight style.

Imagine if both him and Beedle's airshop return.
400px-Beedle%27s_Air_Shop_-_Skyward_Sword_Wii.png

Remember how Tingle was first introduced?
008.png

That's right, fucking balloons.

I can totally see us unlocking maps from Tingle Hollow Knight style.

Imagine if both him and Beedle's airshop return.
400px-Beedle%27s_Air_Shop_-_Skyward_Sword_Wii.png

All of the towers we've been seeing, aren't Zonai, they're Tingle Towers,. Atop of each is a Tingle that adds to our map.

By the way, the Nazca lines appear to be projected from the sky onto the ground, right? I wonder if part of the loop will be finding where they're projected from.

Has this been shared yet?

Looks like draw distances and LOD might be considerably improved. The article specifically points out the tree count but in the zoomed in shots it looks to me like the complexity of the geometry in the rocky hills is higher, too.

When I got this game on May 12th the first thing am doing is just skydiving from skies to Hyrule and again and again. Just like Miyamoto was only climbing the trees when he first played BOTW.

So Switch literally had a bit more juice in terms of graphical prowess. I thought we had peaked at Luigi's Mansion 3 and BotW.

So Switch literally had a bit more juice in terms of graphical prowess. I thought we had peaked at Luigi's Mansion 3 and BotW.
BotW was ported from the Wii U in less than a year while the game was still being developed, and has no visual differences aside from resolution, it was never going to represent the best of what the Switch can do. Just look at Metroid Prime.

Looks like draw distances and LOD might be considerably improved. The article specifically points out the tree count but in the zoomed in shots it looks to me like the complexity of the geometry in the rocky hills is higher, too.
Might explain why I have seen a lot of differences in distant topography. It literally might just be different LODs.

Interesting.

A nothing burger, but some small items included for pre-ordering ToTK. A suitcase tag? Fast travel confirmed.

This description though, "An epic journey awaits you as you traverse the lands and vast skies of Hyrule in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for Nintendo Switch, available from May 12, 2023. Create your own adventure in this world where the limit is your imagination." (translated)

So, I know some are thinking it, but I really hope the islands are the shrine equivalents. The overworld itself hasn't been expanded from what we've seen, so the sky islands seem like the only real expansion of new places to explore besides the underground which we don't know the size of scale of, and I'd rather that new land be organic and open, and not linear and puzzley. Plus putting a linear structure in a open environment only encourages players to just by-pass the structure and skip to the end.

Also, in regards to the map, I want it to be as detailed as the one in BOTW, like drawn or digital, I like seeing all the place names, especially if they're including sky areas and underground areas because I know they're totally gonna use a place to reference Subrosia and also Vaati.

My first time seeing it.

But yeah the draw distance for sure has been improved a good bit. It had to be to give the sense of "Wow, I'm waaaay above Hyrule in the clouds and I can look down and see how messed up Death Mountain is!" and whatnot lol.

Again, just goes to show this game is made for the Switch hardware first instead of a port from weaker hardware :)

Are the smaller trees there in BoTW though? The lighting and draw distance is better, but they might have also added more, small trees throughout Hyrule in ToTK to show that some time has passed since BoTW.
Both I believe. I went to the same spot in BotW and paraglided over, and trees and rocks were popping into view on those emptier spots shown in the BotW screen that are more filled in in TotK. But it's hard to tell.

Looking at the green goob that is used on the vehicles kinda reminds me of how malice was sticking to places in botw. Do you think there is a possibility that the green goob is purified malice repurposed?

Looking at the green goob that is used on the vehicles kinda reminds me of how malice was sticking to places in botw. Do you think there is a possibility that the green goob is purified malice repurposed?
I would also put a heavy bet on the blue Sheikah energy having been purified malice redirected from Ganondorf's corpse - some sort of deal between Sheikah and Zonai? Or were they enemies?

The feature above his corpse is too similar to that over the shrine of resurrection for it to be a coincidence.

Would also explain why the Sheikah tech has suddenly failed as the hand's grip has weakened / depleted over time

Btw, I believe that those scenes with the blood moon in the latest trailer are from the new blood moon cutscene for this game, and not related to the Ganondorf’s awakening cutscene.

By the way, the Nazca lines appear to be projected from the sky onto the ground, right? I wonder if part of the loop will be finding where they're projected from.

I liked the theory that someone had, that they're there as visual landmarks so that you can see the ground from the sky at night to orient yourself better.

I think they're just paler grass.

I think though at first I was disappointed with how little they showed in the trailer, I'm back to being excited again at the real mysteries of this game. They're holding back so much about this game, way more than I think they've ever done with any other game. What do we know? What have they actually told us vs speculation and assumption?

We don't know:

• Who is this bad guy?
  • What is he doing? (Besides "destroy the world". Lifting the castle for some reason?)
  • What is the arm exactly?
  • What mechanics does the arm bring? We knew all about the Shiekah Slate's capabilities almost a year before BotW came out.
  • What is Link even doing? What is our goal? (Besides stop the bad guy) This leads to probably the most important question:
  • What even are the Tears of the Kingdom? You know, the title of the game?
  • Are there dungeons? Divine beasts?
  • Do shrines return?
  • What is this time mechanic that's implied? Music is thematically reversed but not much in-game that's prominent to show for this theme
  • Who is Zelda talking to when she says "lend him your power"? The goddess? Someone else?
  • Why do some shots have flying objects/islands in the sky while others don't? Do they slowly break apart in real time or in specific progression sequences?
  • What is this ouroboros dragon logo? Gotta be super important to be in the logo.
  • Why is the master sword broken down? And why does the logo visualize it as half sword, half tech?
Just making this clear, I'm not saying they should tell us everything. I'm just bringing this up as a curiosity and sort of excitement at the realization that they're holding so much close to the chest. They're that confident that the game will speak for itself and the experience must be played yourself without spoilers.

Also, they are charging $69.99 for it now. Which is enough for me to have faith that Nintendo is really confident in this title.

I don't know if already discussed this, but in regards of Zelda playable, I think they could do something like in Witcher 3 introduced playable Ciri.

After Zelda falls, Link starts looking for her and after some quests, something triggers a cutscene somewhere so we can then see Zelda's point of view.

It would be a restricted linear area with, perhaps, a traditional dungeon. Similar to how in the Witcher 3 Geralt finds some information about Ciri to then we play as her in a small section.
This is what I want. If not more often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom