• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever read about that interview with Aonuma where he recollected designing dungeons for OoT. Apparently he was having some difficulty with his work and then Miyamoto approached him and said something like, 'I think it would be fun if signs could be cut in the same direction Link would swing his sword.'
A programmer went to work on this apparently and said he also added code so the signs would float on water.

Aonuma basically thought they were smoking crack.

Lol
Do you have a link? I'd love to read that

I found the Iwata Asks of the interview, it's from OoT3D.

some relevant parts

Iwata:
Morita-san, you were the one who introduced cutting the signs with the sword , weren’t you? Why did you do that?
Morita:
No, (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san suggested that.
Iwata:
Oh, is that so? So as usual, Miyamoto-san just strolled in, dropped an idea on you, and left?
Morita:
Yes. He asked, “You can slice through the sign, right?” (laughs)

Haruhana:
We saw that around midnight. Miyamoto-san whispered, “That’s cool...”
Iwata:
He said, “Now that’s The Legend of Zelda!”
Haruhana:
It isn’t much at a glance, but when we put effort into making it float and drift smoothly, Miyamoto-san was really impressed.
Morita:
I’m happy about that. When I made it so a piece would float in the water, they put a sign at the waterside.
Iwata:
They changed the position of the sign because they wanted people to see a piece of it floating in the water.
Miyanaga:
Right.
Iwata:
It doesn’t have anything to do with the original function of the signs, though. (laughs)
Aonuma:
Yes. If you cut the sign, you can’t read what’s on it! (laughs)
Everyone:
(laughs)
Aonuma:
So we made it so that if you go out once or play “Zelda’s Lullaby” on the ocarina, it repairs the sign.
Iwata:
So you also had to add a way to return the sign to normal.
Aonuma:
Right. Development was in its final stages, and we were really busy, but we just thought, “It’ll be cool, so let’s do it!” (laughs)
Iwata:
So it was part of Miyanaga’s work and of the others working on the landforms to put a sign by the water and make the Fishing Pond a special landform.
Miyanaga:
Yes.
I'm getting some strong- "What did Miyamoto think of BotW?" "Well, once he realized he could climb trees, he just kept climbing trees for an hour." "Didn't he want to do something else?" "Well, we asked if he wanted to check other parts of the game and he just refused to stop climbing trees."- vibes from this interview.

Another interesting section:
Takizawa:
We’ve never really had a perfect blueprint when making a Zelda game. Basically, there’s a basis and everyone tosses ideas back and forth and puts them all together.

Haruhana:
That’s right. Everyone was always talking things over, putting their ideas together, and making things. For example, instead of telling the director to make a decision, we decided things together.

Iwata:
The release date got pushed back several times.
Aonuma:
Yes.
Iwata:
In general, when a release date gets pushed back and the due date for development is extended, hard days lie ahead, so the atmosphere gets heavy.
Takizawa:
But that didn’t happen at all with this project.
Aonuma:
Why was that?
Takizawa:
Instead, we were like, “Alright!”
Iwata:
Eh? Alright? (laughs)
Takizawa:
Yes. We thought, “Now we can fix that one spot!”
Haruhana:
“We can polish that up more!”
Miyanaga:
“I can put a hole at that one empty spot!”
Aonuma:
Usually shouting “We got an extension! Fantastic!” is unimaginable, but on this project, if I said, “Just let that go,” to someone, they would reply, “Why would I do that?” (laughs)
Takizawa:
At the time, all we could think was, “That was bothering me, so now I’ve got time to fix it!” We felt very sorry that the fans had to wait even longer when the release got pushed back, but I remember that we ourselves were overjoyed!
Reminds a lot of TotK, how it started as DLC and then they just had so many ideas. Also, with the delays and how this game is taking so long. Seems like they really wanted to use as much time as possible for ideas and to polish the game.

Last edited:
I found the Iwata Asks of the interview, it's from OoT3D.

some relevant parts

I'm getting some strong- "What did Miyamoto think of BotW?" "Well, once he realized he could climb trees, he just kept climbing trees for an hour." "Didn't he want to do something else?" "Well, we asked if he wanted to check other parts of the game and he just refused to stop climbing trees."- vibes from this interview.

Another interesting section:

Reminds a lot of TotK, how it started as DLC and then they just had so many ideas. Also, with the delays and how this game is taking so long. Seems like they really wanted to use as much time as possible for ideas and to polish the game.
That was fun to read, thanks!

It also can reffer to the fact that you will get ToTK DLC if you have Switch Online Expansion Pack.
The Online label can also refer to the Expansion Pass right? Getting the DLC with that might be enough reason for them to cross-promote Zelda and NSO.
I would think there'd be some sort of mention of the Expansion Pack if that were the case, not just a promotion for base level NSO. Additionally, DLC for TotK might not be something they even officially reveal until much closer to release.

(Also: I've noticed that there's no DLC included in the Expansion Pack that's from a single player game. Octo Expansion itself is single player, sure, but Splatoon 2 is very much not. I believe this is very intentional on their part; they aren't going to throw in too much content or every DLC they make, so may as well ensure what's there synergizes with the rest of the package. Otherwise, why didn't they mirror the inclusion of Splatoon 2 DLC near Splatoon 3's release with Xenoblade 2/3?)

Internally, Terrey Town is called "UMii Village". UMii is what the Mii-based NPCs in BotW are called. Perhaps, they originally wanted Terrey Town to be populated by Miis from all across the Miiverse?
I’m aware! But Mii-based characters from others simply appearing in game isn’t exactly a form of multiplayer in and of itself, so I’m curious what more they would have done to actually have players interacting with each other in some way.

I try not to think about this game so the wait doesn't seem too long. Every once in a while it crosses my mind. It's really going to be a hell of a game and idc wathever happens i'm ready for it.

Do you have a link? I'd love to read that
I couldn't find it, but it's in the back of a Zelda book I have (it's that large, navy blue Zelda book that was released just before BoTW, I believe).

I typed out that part of the interview,

Aonuna: ...I was solely focused on the structure of the dungeons. At one point, i was getting exhausted, and Miyamoto-san came over and said: "What if we made it so the signs could be cut in the direction of the sword swing?" My mouth fell open, and I said, "What?" [Laughs]

Interviewer: [laughs]

Aonuma: What's the point of doing that? After that, a programmer told me, "I made it so the cut sign pieces float on the water." I thought "What in the world are these people doing?" [Laughs] these were thing that were totally unrelated to beating the game.

Last edited:
I couldn't find it, but it's in the back of a Zelda book I have (it's that large, navy blue Zelda book that was released just before BoTW, I believe).

I typed out that part of the interview,

Aonuna: ...I was solely focused on the structure of the dungeons. At one point, i was getting exhausted, and Miyamoto-san came over and said: "What if we made it so the signs could be cut in the direction of the sword swing?" My mouth fell open, and I said, "What?" [Laughs]

Interviewer: [laughs]

Aonuma: What's the point if doing that? After that, a programmer told me, "I made it so the cut sign pieces float on the water." I thought "What in the world are these people doing?" [Laughs] these were thing that were totally unrelated to beating the game.
Tysm! It reminds me of Miyamotos insect head remark from Metroid Prime haha

I would think there'd be some sort of mention of the Expansion Pack if that were the case, not just a promotion for base level NSO. Additionally, DLC for TotK might not be something they even officially reveal until much closer to release.

(Also: I've noticed that there's no DLC included in the Expansion Pack that's from a single player game. Octo Expansion itself is single player, sure, but Splatoon 2 is very much not. I believe this is very intentional on their part; they aren't going to throw in too much content or every DLC they make, so may as well ensure what's there synergizes with the rest of the package. Otherwise, why didn't they mirror the inclusion of Splatoon 2 DLC near Splatoon 3's release with Xenoblade 2/3?)
They have the Happy Home Designer dlc for Animal Crossing included with the Expansion Pack and Animal Crossing is totally single player (anything multiplayer is pretty superficial in that game).

These titles...I can't lmao.

Not comparing political views but RGT‘s face on 99.99% of his clickbait worrying videos about anything Nintendo is like Tucker Carlson’s face on Fox News. Always the same « I’m worried guys, that could be serious… »

Does anyone else think the sky lady has an eye on her forehead? I don't think she is wearing a helmet, since it looks like there is hair on top of her head. The very first image shown in the last trailer is the best reference.

If she has a third eye, maybe that's where these "tears" come from. I think she is some seer or oracle.

EDIT: Supporting this, Astor in Age of Calamity is labeled as a Seer. Master Kohga asks Astor in a cut-scene, "What's your game 3 eyes?!" Also Souga, "You are blind seer...Calamity Ganon is not for mortals to control."

Last edited:
Found this on reddit.

ksoq646qxn8a1.png

I still maintain that the red online label looks like a sticker slapped on. I could be wrong but zooming in on that picture, I can see a little bit of white around the sticker as if seeing the edges of the sticker just a little. Even if real, I would say it could just be referencing the unannounced expansion pass. I guess we don't have to long to wait until we know for sure.

Not comparing political views but RGT‘s face on 99.99% of his clickbait worrying videos about anything Nintendo is like Tucker Carlson’s face on Fox News. Always the same « I’m worried guys, that could be serious… »
from what RGT85 has said in the past his political views are probably pretty close too...

I love everything about the conceptual stage of Wind Waker.
While I don't see any of it returning for Tears of the Kingdom specifically, I do hope they one day make a game that implements the mechanic in which Link ages as the game progresses. With the idea that his visible age might change interactions/options in villages.
As for me:

I would also like whatever unused concepts they had for Phantom Hourglass.

The main villain seemed interesting, but under-utilized and not developed enough.

They have the Happy Home Designer dlc for Animal Crossing included with the Expansion Pack and Animal Crossing is totally single player (anything multiplayer is pretty superficial in that game).
It's still there, and IIRC a lot of people made use of the trading functions (or something like that? I've never played the game).

what

that rules

TotK is probably going to feature a Hyrule trying to rebuild, right? Having a lil town minigame you can populate with your friend’s miis would whip ass

That would be neat, I wonder where though. I doubt anyone would want to rebuild right under the castle floating on a cloud of malice.

It sucks that I know they wouldn't do it, but it would make a perfect post game quest. If there was ever a Zelda game to have post game content, it should be the open world ones.

Last edited:
Assuming Skyloft IS in this game (and there's no reason for it not to be), do we think they'll show it in the marketing or will they leave it for players to discover on their own?

Assuming Skyloft IS in this game (and there's no reason for it not to be), do we think they'll show it in the marketing or will they leave it for players to discover on their own?
I think it'll be a bitter sweet reference, maybe in the way Lon-lon ranch was referenced/shown in BoTW.

Last edited:
Setting aside people poking fun at my videos lol...

I suspect we get the blow out at the feb direct, but anyone think there is any chance it could happen in January?

I've been watching my brother play BOTW for the first time and he just defeated his first Lynel after throwing every weapons he had at it. Now he's running around looking for more weapons. I really hope they don't take out weapon breaking. Maybe improve it by having Link automatically grab the next weapon without disrupting the flow of combat, but I'd love to see that mechanics return.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

ToTK OLED left Joy-Con shows the same pattern we saw while the right one shows the tears drop pattern. This will be huge.

Last edited:
The thing is, you really think that they will wait till early February? Even the late January after FE seems weird since the OLED already leaked. What if they just drop a trailer like a week from now and OLED is announced alongside it? Kinda like Splatoon one was (but that was without trailer). Maybe they will do the same, just announce the OLED with nothing else.

okay so

The monolith ad thing is real, I can’t take it, holy shit. (For those who don’t remember, in 2018 there was an obscure ad floating around where monolith was recruiting for a Zelda project and it had that same tech-looking royal family crest) I wonder what it means, like, would that mean that the royal family is involved somehow?

And the pattern on the Joycon … And the crest on the bottom left corner could mean so much, like, I dunno, some other kind of crest, maybe for a brand new tribe?

And it’s so pretty.

GORGEOUS

haha I can’t believe that one could lose it like this over a pattern on a Joycon.

EDIT: never mind about the Monolith thing. Got that one wrong.

Last edited:
The thing is, you really think that they will wait till early February? Even the late January after FE seems weird since the OLED already leaked. What if they just drop a trailer like a week from now and OLED is announced alongside it? Kinda like Splatoon one was (but that was without trailer). Maybe they will do the same, just announce the OLED with nothing else.
Honestly with the OLED and the pamphlet that had the NSO thing, I wouldn't be surprised if marketing starts in January. It's a bit weird considering how they waited till they were closer for everything else like Xenoblade and Splatoon, but it is Zelda.

Honestly with the OLED and the pamphlet that had the NSO thing, I wouldn't be surprised if marketing starts in January. It's a bit weird considering how they waited till they were closer for everything else like Xenoblade and Splatoon, but it is Zelda.
Fire Emblem needs room to breathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom