• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even better: once the aliens reveal themselves, the Triforce will reveal itself to be the high-level computer that it was originally supposed to be in the first/original concept for the original Zelda game.

The Three Goddesses, serving as avatars for the device, will then materialize to address Link, Zelda and Ganon. These cycles of reincarnation and rebirth, even including Demise's curse, were all orchestrated by their design. All for the sake of preparing them for this very day when the aliens would arrive...
Huh, didn't realize Monolith Soft was helping with the story now.

Huh, didn't realize Monolith Soft was helping with the story now.

It'll come out that the reason Soraya Saga couldn't help out with Xenoblade 3 was because Fujibayashi tapped her to help pen BOTW2's narrative, instead. Takahashi, of course, was more than understanding.

But can you fight then without having at least part of the game be in space? =O feels like people wont shut up hot they did not do that if they start with aliens.
Sure. I played Majora's Mask.
Really, though, there are different ways that could be handled. A simple one might be to be ambiguous whether these are beings from space, another realm, the bowels of the earth, et cetera. Might fit in a bit better, too, with the overall series and even with the current handling of ancient technology.
and if aliens kill ganondorf, then its forever "yeah, who cares about that, the world in zelda has clearly worse power out there"
I'm not certain Ganondorf need be involved in such a scenario. The series can handle entries without him or Ganon. And we don't need to pull him in just to show how powerful this new enemy is.

* laughs in starwars *
You take that back! Star Wars is a hard science fiction series, entirely predicated on --

Star Wars is a hard sci-fi series based on definitely true physical actualities and theories.
The entirely scientific energy field with psychoactive properties is strong with this one.

I feel like I'm missing something, are you trying to make a point or what?
Yeah, chocolate_supra already answered this, but Star Wars is straight up fantasy set in space with a sci-fi-esque aesthetic facade, a space fantasy, if you will.

Not that I've ever been particularly keen on the idea of a space Zelda, but that'd be the sort of general direction it would probably lean, just, perhaps, more more overtly fantasy trappings.

to be honest, im just tired of every IP escalating the stakes all the time, and going bigger. My arguments where not really solid (heck, majora threw the moon on the earth), but ... every IP does it, and Space is such an... expected next step. MM did the right thing, weird, different, but no obvious straight forward move.

Im fine with whatever, as long as its great. i would just prefere a more intimate aspect then bam, aliens/space.

I want a interesting step like aliens and space. That’s so out of left field it would make it great for Zelda.
... but there are so many ideas, cultures, etc that are also out of the left field. exploring mythical worlds, stuff inspired by vodo, mole people, psyhological horror aspects, astral plane, etc...
Time Travel, Paralel Universes and Space are so prevalent in the mainstream (see: marvel).
But oh well. As long as they really have somethign unique...

to be honest, im just tired of every IP escalating the stakes all the time, and going bigger. My arguments where not really solid (heck, majora threw the moon on the earth), but ... every IP does it, and Space is such an... expected next step. MM did the right thing, weird, different, but no obvious straight forward move.

Im fine with whatever, as long as its great. i would just prefere a more intimate aspect then bam, aliens/space.
In all seriousness...even if ALIENS do get added, I don't think it would detract from the setting. If anything, it'd just offer another avenue for the series' various mysteries and unexplained.

Zelda has played with the aspect of there being some ancient, yet technologically advanced civilization in its backdrop for quite some time. Yet, the series has never indulged in exploring the greater implications of such, nor gone full steampunk, industrial, science-fantasy or the like. It just is "there", to help stoke the imagination.

Likewise, I don't think aliens means Link is going to be stealing Samus and Fox's jobs, and become a space-faring adventurer. It would just add an additional flavor/context to whatever Link is interacting with and/or defending Hyrule from this time.

If the Zonai somehow turned out to be Aliens, for example, I don't think it would significantly change things. It'd just offer a bit more context!

In all seriousness...even if ALIENS do get added, I don't think it would detract from the setting. If anything, it'd just offer another avenue for the series' various mysteries and unexplained.

Zelda has played with the aspect of there being some ancient, yet technologically advanced civilization in its backdrop for quite some time. Yet, the series has never indulged in exploring the greater implications of such, nor gone full steampunk, industrial, science-fantasy or the like. It just is "there", to help stoke the imagination.

Likewise, I don't think aliens means Link is going to be stealing Samus and Fox's jobs, and become a space-faring adventurer. It would just add an additional flavor/context to whatever Link is interacting with and/or defending Hyrule from this time.

If the Zonai somehow turned out to be Aliens, for example, I don't think it would significantly change things. It'd just offer a bit more context!
If they can keep it that way, then thats fine. As you say, they hinted, but im happy that it never became Text, and mostly stays relegated for subtext.

The restraintness and its own thing kinda makes the series what it is, and it seems you get my worries about going to much in the mass market fiction direction.
We have to many samey IP out there =D

Yeah, chocolate_supra already answered this, but Star Wars is straight up fantasy set in space with a sci-fi-esque aesthetic facade, a space fantasy, if you will.

Not that I've ever been particularly keen on the idea of a space Zelda, but that'd be the sort of general direction it would probably lean, just, perhaps, more more overtly fantasy trappings.

Yes, Starwars exists. I never said it wasn't fantasy. I said I'd like to see more space subject matter in fantasy games.

Specifically, I want more cosmic stuff in traditional fantasy. For example, the cosmic horror in Bloodborne and the lore in Elden Ring around
glintstone magic, and the origins of the Outer Gods

I love the ancient abstracted technology of Botw. It's a focus on technology that feels so much more natural than plunging the next game into a futuristic Starwars style world. If they're going to make an alien presence a focal point, Botw's ancient tech setting makes the most sense to me.

Yes, Starwars exists. I never said it wasn't fantasy. I said I'd like to see more space subject matter in fantasy games.

Specifically, I want more cosmic stuff in traditional fantasy. For example, the cosmic horror in Bloodborne and the lore in Elden Ring around
glintstone magic, and the origins of the Outer Gods

I love the ancient abstracted technology of Botw. It's a focus on technology that feels so much more natural than plunging the next game into a futuristic Starwars style world. If they're going to make an alien presence a focal point, Botw's ancient tech setting makes the most sense to me.
Good post.

Oh, was there ever a situation where theory crafting kinda lessoned the inpact of a release?
Just thinking, if its really the Zonai .. well, they gottn kind of stale, with every zeldad theory channel talking about them

One more month until we see a new trailer for BotW 2…or not
I get the feeling we will have to wait until September. Nates' prediction makes sense, i.e. September trailer, GA trailer, and build-up to release in March, the timeframe will probably be similar to Kirby's marketing timeframe.

But if there is one game that can break the mold regarding marketing, it's BOTW2, so I think there's a small chance we see it in a month.

Last edited:
How many trailers are we getting before release?

BotW2 is an extremely important game that they will want to market. However, BotW was also extremely important, and that only got two "proper" trailers before release - The premiere trailer and the story trailer. Trailers are important marketing material, but with both BotW games being all about discovering the unknown, I think they want to retain the mystery of the game, even while marketing.

Edit: Ah yes, the TGA got a trailer too.

Last edited:

BotW2 is an extremely important game that they will want to market. However, BotW was also extremely important, and that only got two "proper" trailers before release - The premiere trailer and the story trailer. Trailers are important marketing material, but with both BotW games being all about discovering the unknown, I think they want to retain the mystery of the game, even while marketing.

2 or 3 more trailers.

Full gameplay and title reveal trailer.
Maybe something for The Game Awards or a September Direct
Launch trailer

I bet on three main trailers. Not a launch trailer however as BOTW1 didn't have one IIRC.

1) Title/main gimmick reveal gameplay trailer.
2) Story trailer
3) Season Pass announcement trailer

The DLC trailer is a lock for the February 2023 Direct. The real question is if Nintendo does Summer/September Direct or September Direct/TGA for the first two.

I consider TGA 2016 trailer as proper. So, 3 trailers in total.

I bet on three main trailers. Not a launch trailer however as BOTW1 didn't have one IIRC.

1) Title/main gimmick reveal gameplay trailer.
2) Story trailer
3) Season Pass announcement trailer

The DLC trailer is a lock for the February 2023 Direct. The real question is if Nintendo does Summer/September Direct or September Direct/TGA for the first two.
We'll definitely get a game-play trailer too. A game this big can get away with a massive amount of gameplay videos and still not show much.

Also I don't see a DLC trailer for the Feb 2023 direct since the game is probably a March or April release, maybe DLC for June 2023.

We'll definitely get a game-play trailer too. A game this big can get away with a massive amount of gameplay videos and still not show much.

Also I don't see a DLC trailer for the Feb 2023 direct since the game is probably a March or April release, maybe DLC for June 2023.
Wasn't the BOTW1 DLC announced before release? That's why I mentioned it.

The DLC trailer was shown at E3 2017. Maybe it was announced before BOTW though? I don't recall, but I also wasn't paying much attention to Nintendo back then so maybe.
Yup, I remember the backlash at the time, haha. Then when people realized how much content was in BotW already, they acquiesced.

One more month until we see a new trailer for BotW 2…or not

I dunno man, the fact that they told us it won't be out before 2023 was a blessing for my health. Like, I'm not stressing about it nearly as much as I used to when we thought it was a 2022 game. I feel like I'm not in a rush to see the trailer, learn the name, etcetera... and also when the media rollout starts, I'm gonna go dark til the game is released, so... I'm just chillin. Anyone else feel this way?

Edit: Hollow Knight Silksong's release date, on the other hand, stresses me every day.

Yes, it was.

I've never seen that video before (and looking at the views compared to the first couple of BOTW trailers, I'm not the only one). Thanks for correcting me honestly.

It's complete speculation, but there's so much to show regarding BOTW2 that I can't see Aonuma showing DLC content/info before showing a lot of information about the game before it is released. I can see them waiting to announce DLC until after the game is released, but if they do have a June Direct and show more BOTW2 stuff i.e. gameplay/trailer then maybe DLC announced before March 2023, who knows though.

I hope that the new game doesn't have any DLC. With BotW it was understandable, because they obviously had to cut a lot of content because so much development time was spent on developing the physics engine, world map, etc. The new game will be in development for almost 6 years, and is reusing a ton of content from the first game. They should be able to provide a complete experience to us from day one, without locking good content and quality of life features behind a paywall.

I hope that the new game doesn't have any DLC. With BotW it was understandable, because they obviously had to cut a lot of content because so much development time was spent on developing the physics engine, world map, etc. The new game will be in development for almost 6 years, and is reusing a ton of content from the first game. They should be able to provide a complete experience to us from day one, without locking good content and quality of life features behind a paywall.
DLC doesn't mean the game isn't a complete experience lol. I'll buy a bunch of DLC as long as the game is good.

Do we think this game is going to try to step more into the ‘AAA’ production values space for storytelling - more voicing, mocap, cutscenes? I always felt like the champion’s defendants sections of BotW, which were each very linear, really could have used a major production bump.

The DLC for BotW, despite being hot garbage in some respects, had some great cutscenes for the champions. And just considering Monolithsofts involvement, XC2 was fully voiced and had some really wild and impressive cutscenes.

DLC doesn't mean the game isn't a complete experience lol. I'll buy a bunch of DLC as long as the game is good.
I'd say that some of the features such as hard mode, hero's path, and the Korok mask make the base game a much better experience. I don't mind additional content that is relatively separate from the main game, such as new dungeons or new areas (I'm fine with the Champions Ballad). But if the devs come up with good ideas that make the base game better, they should at least include it in a free patch.

I don't normally care if single player games have DLC, but Zelda games are very special to me, and I'd just prefer to feel like I'm getting the best possible experience the first time I play it.

Nice to see you here, @Nickle. I feel like it's been ages.
Thank you, it has been quite a few years since I've used these sort of forums. This place seems pretty nice so far, so I'll do my best to not be as whiny as I used to be. There's nothing I like talking about more then upcoming Zelda games.

Zelda in space with aliens would be another Indiana Jones 4
I still want the Techno Zelda concept from the original Zelda pitch

108.png

Thank you, it has been quite a few years since I've used these sort of forums. This place seems pretty nice so far, so I'll do my best to not be as whiny as I used to be. There's nothing I like talking about more then upcoming Zelda games.
Same, it's been a really nice, tight knit and welcoming place to come. Great to have you here. I immediately got some forum nostalgia seeing your avatar.

Seeing those Oot PC port mods reminds me I'd love to see another Zelda game with this realistic anime character illumination. This render looks really good.

Space is honestly a direction I could see.

going not only to the sky but "beyond that" imo could only mean

1. Complete underworld map
2. Underwater
3. Expanded overworld
4. Space

2. Underwater
3. Expanded overworld
4. Space
I agree. Nintendo has already used some of the concept art from BotW in BotW 2. And that’s just from the little we’ve seen of BotW 2. What’s to say they don’t use some of the space related concept art? You’ve already broken conventions of Zelda and stuck the landing critically. Maybe have some more fun with BotW 2 and get Wilder.

2. Underwater
3. Expanded overworld
4. Space
After the March delay, I imagined BOTW2 could consist of:

1. Old overworld with many new additions i.e. towns, and dungeons
2. New sky islands
3. Underwater exploration and deep sea sections
4. Underground areas that consist of multiple levels
5. Maybe some areas can be explored as they use to be/some time travel

I think that's ambitious enough, and I'm not sure I see them going to space when there were bigger BOTW itches/additions to scratch.

1. Old overworld with many new additions i.e. towns, and dungeons
2. New sky islands
4. Underground areas that consist of multiple levels
5. Maybe some areas can be explored as they use to be/some time travel

I think that's ambitious enough, and I'm not sure I see them going to space when there were bigger BOTW itches/additions to scratch.

If there's underwater exploration, I wonder how expansive it will be. The only real big deep seas in the game that isn't, like, Faron Sea or Necluda Sea, is Lake Hylia and Zora Reservoir. What if the game will contain full-blown exploration of the area between Lurelin Village and Eventide? That'd be massive if true.

Apologies in advance, just decided to think on the underwater subject a bit more...

My gut tells me underwater sections won't happen as it may not fit their design philosophy for Breath of the Wild. Bear with me here - when asked why they didn't include things like petting dogs, their reason was essentially that the inclusion was too fit-for-purpose:

“In the game it seems like you can do anything, but what it really is are all these interlocking systems where you actually have a pretty limited number of actions that can do a ton of different things,” Fujibayashi told IGN. “So if it came down to something like petting a dog, we would actually have to put in a custom action just for petting a dog that couldn't really be used for anything else.”
“In terms of design philosophy, it just didn't fit with how we actually made the game world,” he added. “It's actually more about taking a smaller number of actions and using them in as many ways as possible.”
Source: IGN Interview

Petting a dog might seem a weird comparison to make, but unless they pull some wild hijinks and make it so 'underwater' is plays the same as being on land due to reasons - think visiting Hyrule in Wind Waker* - exploring underwater and all actions associated with it sounds similarly too specific or limited to being underwater. You'd no longer climb, free-fall, glide, or shoot your bow. Elemental effects as they exist now would all be broken and/or unintuitive - using electricity or fire underwater? They'd also need to deal with buoyancy and friction differences. The more I think about it, the more it feels like it needs to be an entirely separate game.

The content/actions we've seen through trailers and patents are all additive or complementary to the already robust set of 'interlocking systems': land masses in the sky, teleporting upward through terrain, skydiving and mid-air combat - none of it takes away from the systems already in place. Combine this with whatever new abilities replace or supplement the sheikah slate runes and it's already sounding incredibly dense mechanically.

* If this is what you were thinking about when you said it, then yeah that'd be dope.

Apologies in advance, just decided to think on the underwater subject a bit more...

My gut tells me underwater sections won't happen as it may not fit their design philosophy for Breath of the Wild. Bear with me here - when asked why they didn't include things like petting dogs, their reason was essentially that the inclusion was too fit-for-purpose:

Source: IGN Interview

Petting a dog might seem a weird comparison to make, but unless they pull some wild hijinks and make it so 'underwater' is plays the same as being on land due to reasons - think visiting Hyrule in Wind Waker* - exploring underwater and all actions associated with it sounds similarly too specific or limited to being underwater. You'd no longer climb, free-fall, glide, or shoot your bow. Elemental effects as they exist now would all be broken and/or unintuitive - using electricity or fire underwater? They'd also need to deal with buoyancy and friction differences. The more I think about it, the more it feels like it needs to be an entirely separate game.

The content/actions we've seen through trailers and patents are all additive or complementary to the already robust set of 'interlocking systems': land masses in the sky, teleporting upward through terrain, skydiving and mid-air combat - none of it takes away from the systems already in place. Combine this with whatever new abilities replace or supplement the sheikah slate runes and it's already sounding incredibly dense mechanically.

* If this is what you were thinking about when you said it, then yeah that'd be dope.
OoT and TP did a pretty good job with underwater combat and I imagine BOTW2 could go a similar route. A bow would be pretty useless underwater, because the string wouldn’t launch an arrow well due to water resistance so bows and 2H weapons could we disabled underwater. Nintendo could make it such that many weapons simply can’t be used or get nerfed from water resistance except spears and tridents.

Since OoT, MM, TP, and SS allowed player to go underwater and engage in combat, it is a good bet that the team experimented with the idea for BOTW2 at least, but yeah, it might not have worked out mechanically. They could just do underwater like MM or SS and narrow combat down to the capabilities given by a particular suit, set of armour, or mask (maybe an arm mechanic for BOTW2). In BOTW fashion they could create a specific animal/underwater mount you could use to explore underwater sections of the map, like a sand seal (or a regular seal). But narrowing your combat or weapon options could keep some of the overworld intuition, unlike some suit or arm mechanic.

Last edited:
BotW 2 with underwater would bring in a pressure gauge system. The lower you guy the higher the pressure gets and can kill you. So to go further into the dark depths you have to build like a submarine or suit. I’m telling people Nintendo could truly evolve underwater exploration

BotW 2 with underwater would bring in a pressure gauge system. The lower you guy the higher the pressure gets and can kill you. So to go further into the dark depths you have to build like a submarine or suit. I’m telling people Nintendo could truly evolve underwater exploration
Star fox 64 underwater submarine. But Robbie builds you a sheikah version. Nintendo hire me.

I'm wondering how the world design of BotW 2 is going to change from the first game, gameplay wise.

BotW was based around having total freedom in navigation, allowing you to get to any place from any direction. The world had very few hazards or bottomless pits, you can get to basically any place in the game by paragliding or climbing. Exploration-wise, a big part of the game was wandering from one glowing point of interest to the next, taking light detours along the way to explore all the little areas. There is rarely any big chunks of content, you'll normally be done with each piece of content within a few minutes.

In BotW 2, we can see that Shiekah Towers and Shrines are completely gone. These were a significant chunk of the content in the game, and were normally placed near the most interesting areas in the game. These were key objects for guiding your eye towards different areas, as they were designed to be seen from a wide variety of angles and are clearly visible all the way across the map. With the removal of them (and the Divine Beasts), there's now much fewer points of interest. Even in the footage of the ground from the second trailer, we only see a few notable changes, such as the Deku Tree being gone or Death Mountain not being filled with lava. Apart from a few stone ruins on the ground and different placements of monster camps, the vast majority of the map looks the same so far, and would need some drastic changes to become interesting to explore again.

So how would these drastic changes happen? In Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, and Link to the Past you unlock a new world after beating 3 dungeons. This is easy because the games are linear, and every player will be in the same spot once they get the chance to access the new world. But imagine having something like this in BotW. BotW has no midpoint, the only points at which every players are on the same point are the very beginning of the game, the point at which you get the Paraglider, and when you face Ganon. It would simply be impossible for there to be a point at which the world changes shifts drastically, unless the developers were willing to have a before and after version of every single part of the game (which would be a huge waste of developer time for a world so big).

It is possible that the new game is really just going to be a retreading of the old map with a few new areas and scenarios. But considering that it's taken the devs 5-6 years to develop this, I have to imagine they have something major about the overworld that they haven't shown us yet, something much bigger then sky islands, an expansive underground, or underwater exploration. While I'm not quite sure what that change could be, I do know that the design of the game will have to be different then BotW 1 to accommodate that change.

I think the Sky Islands give us a hint at a possible new direction for the sequel. Instead of 1 large island in the sky, it's a bunch of different sized islands with large amounts of space between them. To navigate the sky islands, you often won't be able to brute force a straight path to your destination by climbing or gliding. Instead, you'll have to carefully glide from island to island, making sure to watch your distance and stamina to reach each island. If you are on an island that is lower then the one you are trying to reach, you'll have to figure out a way to get higher, possibly by using the new wall merging mechanic that shoots you upward. There are now essentially bottomless pits in the overworld, which wasn't often present in the first game (It is possible that you can fall from the sky islands all the way to the ground, but it would be really annoying to fall for 30 seconds just because you accidentally fall off an island. Also, the cloud barrier from from Skyward Sword is shown in BotW when the Dragons rise into a portal in the sky.) Overall, the navigation will be much more linear, but will require a lot more thought.

But what destination are you trying to get to get to when on the sky islands? While these screenshots only show a limited view, there doesn't appear to be anything noticeable like a Shiekah Shrine or a unique landmark...

ofq5yk0yrg571.jpg

lljaagdyrg571.jpg

tweeten-1623778027801.jpg

...except for the giant tower on the right side of the last image. While this could be many different things, I'm thinking that it's a dungeon. It doesn't look like something you are supposed to climb. BotW had basically no explorable buildings (except for Hyrule Castle, which had several obvious entrances), so it's especially notable that the devs chose to show this building, knowing that most fans are hungry for more classic dungeons.

---------------------------------------

On a separate but related note, there's a reason I talk about the sky islands as if it's all 1 area. Back when the second trailer came out last year, I did a little analysis of the sky islands to get a better idea of the layout. I found that the trailer only showed 2 areas which are likely pretty close to each other. It's a little scuffed, so just ask me if you don't understand it.

MGgYhvd.jpeg

Some people think that the Sky Islands are going to be a major part of the game, but unless there are a lot of new sky areas that we can't see, it's probably a relatively small area that you could fully explore in just a few hours.

---------------------------------------

Because of the more linear design of the Sky Islands and the presence of a possible dungeon, I'm thinking that BotW 2 is going to consist of areas that are centered around completing a main goal, which is to explore each region to find the dungeon (or find access to the dungeon). This doesn't mean that there won't be tons of side content and objectives to complete within these areas, it just means that side content and mini dungeons won't be the primary focus of the game like it was with BotW. One of these areas is the sky islands, while another area could be underground, the area where the Deku Tree was, or the crater of Death Mountain. These are all relatively closed off areas, so they fit with my idea relatively well.

The overall goal of the game could be to re-forge the Master Sword and kill Ganondorf, and the way you re-forge the sword is to get a special Mcguffin from each dungeon. If there is some sort of huge change that happens to the overworld (or an alternate world gets unlocked), perhaps it'll happen after you complete the first few dungeons. Maybe you restore the sword in the first 3 dungeons, which gives it the ability to make you travel back through time. And since you can't kill Ganondorf without the Master Sword (Calamity Ganon could only be destroyed by other weapons because it wasn't the real Ganon), so perhaps you won't be able to reach the final boss as soon as you leave the tutorial area. This works with a design philosophy that is based less on pure freedom and more on structure and progression.

Of course, I could be wrong about literally all of this, but that's part of the fun of speculating. I am still perplexed that the overworld seems to look almost entirely unchanged from the first game apart from a few relatively minor changes, but I hope there is some big twist that Nintendo is hiding from us.

I think some of you read these dev quotes far too literally. How does not being able to pet a dog mean they definitely won't do underwater? These are game developers. If they want to incorporate underwater elements into the rest of the game systems, they can find a way. How about along with shield surfing on land, you can actually surf on the water? Instead of diving into the sky, you dive into the sea? If those free fall bow combat mechanics are in the game, imagine how they could utilize the same system for underwater combat. These are things right off the top of my head.

If Nintendo really wants to have an extensive underwater component to the game, they'll do it. They are not going to say "Well you can't use the hang glider or pet a dog underwater so just throw out the whole idea".

This was a really impressive post and I don't mean to belittle it at all by quoting only a tiny part of it but I gotta get this out of my system:
The overall goal of the game could be to re-forge the Master Sword and kill Ganondorf, and the way you re-forge the sword is to get a special Mcguffin from each dungeon.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2: Skyward Sword 2

I think some of you read these dev quotes far too literally. How does not being able to pet a dog mean they definitely won't do underwater? These are game developers. If they want to incorporate underwater elements into the rest of the game systems, they can find a way. How about along with shield surfing on land, you can actually surf on the water? Instead of diving into the sky, you dive into the sea? If those free fall bow combat mechanics are in the game, imagine how they could utilize the same system for underwater combat. These are things right off the top of my head.

If Nintendo really wants to have an extensive underwater component to the game, they'll do it. They are not going to say "Well you can't use the hang glider or pet a dog underwater so just throw out the whole idea".

Of course they could build an underwater section of the game, but I very clearly provided reasons why I think it would be out of scope. Did you see me say it was impossible, or that I was certain? No, you didn’t, cause I didn’t say it.

This entire thread is full of speculation, and having some thoughts that tie back to a developer interview shouldn’t be criticized. And I fully stand by what I said. So many critical pieces of the existing physics, chemistry, and movement engines are lost in going underwater or require heavy adaptation. There’s already an incredibly ambitious product at hand with the addition of sky islands and (likely) caves and all the new abilities. To take all that’s at play and add a fleshed out underwater aspect sounds like a massive ask, both of the developers as well as the player.

I think if Link goes underwater, I think it’ll be brief, and done only as a means to get somewhere where these aforementioned engines do still apply.

Last edited:
Because of the cool physics engine, the sequel would be perfect for underwater sections or space sections. Maybe the paraglider becomes unusable in space, but you can jump really high. Or when you throw weapons, they travel way further then usual. I can imagine jump attacking being really stupid and fun.

Remember that they've had like 6 years to work on the game, so ambitious things like this aren't out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom