• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Game Awards 2023 |ST| Tears of the Keighdom

I mean if we say narrative is important to getting GOTY than that precludes Mario from ever winning again?

Remember Mario Galaxy actually beat Mass Effect for GOTY despite the latter also being extremely heavily praised for both it's gameplay and narrative

I think it's annoying that people endlessly look for fault in things. The show had a lot of reveals. Was a generic celebration of gaming. Who cares? lol
Why would they risk talking about super controversial topics? Weird take. It is not a political show in the slightest.

My bet is on January for Nintendo Switch 2 and all the stuff we want.

Next you’re going to tell me visual novels are games too. Wild.

It’s time to bring back Hotel Dusk hell yeah

Or like, a new Famicom Detective Club
Can't believe they revived Another Code before Hotel Dusk.
Just need to see my overly grumpy salesman being happy about the most mundane shit again....

d6n73ei-a89ec07a-639b-4479-baf0-0b1fd9564df4.gif

I mean if we say narrative is important to getting GOTY than that precludes Mario from ever winning again?

Remember Mario Galaxy actually beat Mass Effect for GOTY despite the latter also being extremely heavily praised for both it's gameplay and narrative
Really? I remember Bioshock being everyone's favorite game that year.

Edit: Sorry for double-post😢

Really? I remember Bioshock being everyone's favorite game that year.

Edit: Sorry for double-post😢
now that I'm looking at it back then there wasn't really one central GOTY show but multiple spread out ones

Still Mario Galaxy took a great deal of them

Wait I just realized

The neon ✌️ sign on the wall in the Sega reel was probably a reference to Alex Kidd

Also the bottom of the guy's skateboard has the Dreamcast logo on it

I'm pretty sure if you opened Geoff Keighley up all you would find is a few bags of Doritos, a liter of mountain dew, and some crinkled photos of Kojima. I don't believe there's any deep moral center there such that you could expect him to speak out on any moral issues within the gaming industry. He only got mad at Konami because of Kojima, not because they abused employees in general.

Not even sure you can call him a sellout, because, like, what was there to sell?

I will say, I'm really glad that best Art Direction didn't just boil down to cartoony games. Alan Wake II is a (rare) excellent example of a realistic looking game that has fantastic art direction, and it would be my pick (maybe with Wonder tied).

Every year TGA remind me of that one Spinal Tap gag, the one with the sign that says

puppet show
and spinal tap

except here it’s

VIDEO GAME ADS
and awards show

People watching the TGAs: It’s all ads smh

In the same breath: Anyway when is the next Nintendo Direct?
The difference is TGA’s pretends to care about being a prestige award show and celebrating the industry while awarding half of them off air and giving winners about 30 seconds to talk so they can fit in more ads and skits and big name cameos. Directs have never pretended to be about anything more than advertising the upcoming slate of Nintendo products.

I love ads but man something about TGA ads just drain me. I think its maybe that a lot of ads go for this high octane energy thing and the pacing is so fast between each one there is barely any time to catch my breathe. Its hard to even tell when the main show is happening and when its their “commercial” time sometimes lol.

I love ads but man something about TGA ads just drain me. I think its maybe that a lot of ads go for this high octane energy thing and the pacing is so fast between each one there is barely any time to catch my breathe. Its hard to even tell when the main show is happening and when its their “commercial” time sometimes lol.
It's because it's a long show.

Not what I said.

Framing Hideo Kojima, who has been directing video games for over 35 years, as some Hollywood guy comes off as petty, if not outright misinformed. No need to knock him and his work down a peg while pointing out the blatant favoritism.
They aren't framing him as a Hollywood guy, they're framing him as a guy with Hollywood friends who were given a ton of time to talk about their upcoming product, which is, like, not misinformation? It's a pretty accurate description of what happened? Jordan Peele, Norman Reedus, Guillermo Del Toro.. Kojima's been bringing Hollywood talent into his projects for a while, and I don't think it's misinformation to point out how those collaborations seem to be getting a lot more time because of the prestige those celebrities bring while Aonuma and the other devs who were supposed to be celebrated today were getting shuffled off the stage, sometimes literally before they were able to begin speaking

Kojima isn’t the problem here. There should be more segments like that where the devs are hyped up, brought on stage and are able to talk about their upcoming games!

I’d scrap a couple of those segments that were three intro-less world premiere trailers in a row to get more of those. You can easily get that in other live-streamed presentations, but TGA is unique for having all the devs actually there.

If Kojima was making a cooking simulator game with zero narrative that took 2 hours to beat, he'd still get a big segment here. Not saying it's wrong or right but he gets this time because of his name and also because he and Geoff are friends.

If Aonuma wanted to present a game he made at TGA for 15 minutes, I'm sure Geoff would be all over that. But Nintendo likes doing their own shit.

They should definitely figure out a better way to fit in more speech time, though. People complain about ads but things like this wouldn't exist without them, so I imagine it's hard to figure out that balance. Even just throwing on another 15-20 minutes would have made a good difference. People are always gonna whine about the length either way.

Until there's a revamp (which there won't be), I'll start catching up with award winners and trailers after it's all done. Massive overcorrection from Geoff this year on speech length - I get they don't want another Christopher Judge situation, but they need more time allowed than what was given, especially when you then have a 10 minute interview with Kojima on stage that's even less enlightening and interesting than what he had to show.

For me it's because they show a load of trailers/ads in the show, and then have additional breaks to stuff in a load more adverts. Same issue I have with SGF - it's just an overload.

I didn't watch this year's show because sleep was necessary, but judging from the online reaction on here and other places this seemed to be the most Keighly-ass Keighly show so far? He has been getting a lot more indulgent in recent times and maybe this show was the one that broke the camel's back a bit?

I've enjoyed the TGA's in the past but it always wrankled me a bit how they handled the actual awards, from the odd categorising and speeches to even the kind of games that got nominated. No-one wants a 5 minute long ramble from a developer who just won best simulation game, I get that. But for a ceremony that's supposed to celebrate everything good about the industry it's increasingly becoming a celebration of Geoff's mates and his sponsors instead.

Also, still kinda perplexed by Baldur's Gate 3's popularity, and I say this as a big D&D player and someone who's played it for 20 hours. But then again, Elden Ring's popularity eludes me too. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Okay maybe I've been too hard on Kojima

He's gonna put him in a game and name him "Guardian" because he's a guardian or "Thermometer" because he can jauge heat, or "Sauce" because he works at a Ketchup factory.

Gotta love the fact that Kojimass was given 10 minutes to speak about a game that have yet to be shown and most award winners had around 30 seconds to talk with a prompter that literally says "PLEASE WRAP IT UP"

I didn't watch this year's show because sleep was necessary, but judging from the online reaction on here and other places this seemed to be the most Keighly-ass Keighly show so far? He has been getting a lot more indulgent in recent times and maybe this show was the one that broke the camel's back a bit?

I've enjoyed the TGA's in the past but it always wrankled me a bit how they handled the actual awards, from the odd categorising and speeches to even the kind of games that got nominated. No-one wants a 5 minute long ramble from a developer who just won best simulation game, I get that. But for a ceremony that's supposed to celebrate everything good about the industry it's increasingly becoming a celebration of Geoff's mates and his sponsors instead.

Also, still kinda perplexed by Baldur's Gate 3's popularity, and I say this as a big D&D player and someone who's played it for 20 hours. But then again, Elden Ring's popularity eludes me too. Maybe I'm just getting old.

It’s literally never been anything other than this. Ever. It’s a compilation of adverts that uses the veneer of an awards ceremony to deflect any criticism. That’s what it was created to be, that’s what it’s always been.

It’s literally never been anything other than this. Ever. It’s a compilation of adverts that uses the veneer of an awards ceremony to deflect any criticism. That’s what it was created to be, that’s what it’s always been.
I agree with you, what I'm saying is that the thin paper that covered this up is increasingly peeling away and I think people are wising up to it.

I have enjoyed TGAs in the past for what they were, but for me it's like 'Geoff mate, just give the Kojima fawning and Muppets a rest for just one year.'

people forget about these awards in a week by the way. The only thing people talk about from last year is the Bill Clinton kid
Lol and even that I had forgotten honestly, even though the kid himself does show up on my Tiktok feed from time to time.

But that definitely was the highlight of last year's TGA.

I didn't watch it as I'm in Europe but had a look through the trailers this morning, aside from the usual excess of non-gameplay, some decent looking reveals.
The SEGA one was cute.
Despite his ridiculous over-promising, Doritospopeism etc. I quite like GK, he cares about games.
However his adoration of Kojima is really embarrassing and the fetishing of Kojima in general is cringeworthy, such adoration of pretentious nonsensical rubbish like in that pointless trailer.

Didn't watch any of it. Just followed updates online. Went to bed when there was still an hour left.

Anyway, congrats to BG3. Haven't played it and I'm not sure if I ever will. I was rooting for TOTK, but at least it won for Best Action/Adventure Game.

Really interested to see a bunch of film journalists and even directors discussing whether the Oscars need to take a page out of TGA's book and stuff the breaks with new trailers and first looks at upcoming films, while games people are furious they don't have a proper awards show like the Oscars. It's both grass is greener syndrome but probably indicative of the way the games industry is so built around hype for the next thing, while the film industry has a habit of looking backwards at its past more than it's present.

Hello, everyone!

On my end, I enjoyed TGA this time around. Enjoyed it more than I was expecting, to be completely honest.

Like every year, it has its faults:
• Devs getting little time to speak.
— The celebration is to gaming, and video games are possible because of them.

• Kojima getting too much time.
— Yes, he’s a genius and he’s pushed gaming forward, but when you’re cutting up everyone’s time, it looks bad to favor one over the dozens. Plus, it’s getting old.

• It was a tad long. Maybe cut the additional half hour they added and eliminate some awards. Or, y’know, leave some for the pre-show

—————

That aside, it was good to see that they bettered the security. The reveals were awesome, and I’m a bit hyped for their 10th anniversary!

Distasteful show but what do you expect from GK...
Can’t believe it’s still going. It is what it is though. At least gamers have something. No need for me to watch it. Don’t appeal to me as a gamer.

Back
Top Bottom