• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Game Awards 2023 |ST| Tears of the Keighdom

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Keighdom1.png

Tga3.jpg

Welcome to this year's StarTopic for the kinda rad yet slightly disorienting fiesta known to folks as The Game Awards!

This is the game industry's equivalent to the Oscars an annual event full of fun stuff like advertisements, hype and exciting announcements, as well as the occasional recognition of industry talent. Feel free to settle in with a drink, a home-baked pizza and perhaps one or more friends, and have a stellar time, whether you're looking forward to see who wins and whose Fami avatar gets yanked, or just want to see if there's any cool games showing up.

In a little less than 24 hours, the doors to the Keighdom will open. The opening varies depending on where on this humble globe you're living. Fellow Europeans, bring some soda - you'll need it!

Live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles
  • December 7, 2023, 4:30pm PT
  • December 7, 2023, 6:30pm CT
  • December 7, 2023, 7:30pm ET
  • December 8, 2023, 12:30am GMT
  • December 8, 2023, 1:30am CET
  • December 8, 2023, 6am IST
  • December 8, 2023, 8:30am CST
  • December 8, 2023, 9:30am KST/JST
  • December 8, 2023, 11:30am AEDT
impo-info.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 has been nominated in a few categories. However, discussion or commentary on Cyberpunk 2077 is not allowed in this thread, as has been decided by Famiboards Staff and the community. For more information about this decision, the Banned Content List can be found here. Members that ignore this rule and goes on to talk about the game anyway will be subject to moderation accordingly.

Tga2.jpg

Whether it's a patented Ed Boon fakeout, Senua losing herself, a shooter presenting a sponsorship deal with a gaming chair, or a friggin' Zelda DLC shadowdrop, The Game Awards always brings announcements of various degrees of hype and meh. Often charging in with "Over 50 World Premieres!", (Though the "world premiere" voice itself has actually been dropped this year, so RIP) it's a show where exciting games gets a breathing room to fully showcase themselves, or an opportunity to present themselves to the public for the very first time.

This year, both the wishlist and the rumour mill have gone as warm as they usually do. Among other things, we'll see a proper unveiling of Fortnite's Rocket Racing mode and supposedly some kind of new game from EA Originals, titled Tales of Kenzara: ZAU. Sega seems to be up to something with "New era, new energy". Microsoft, too, have tweeted that there's stuff you "won't want to miss". Speaking of them, perhaps it's time for Baldur's Gate 3's Xbox launch date?

Other than that, there's tons more to speculate about. A release date for Shadows of the Erdtree, perhaps, and even more good hype from Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Geoff's BFF Hideo Kojima will most certainly show off more Death Stranding 2. Maybe a proper look at the Fable Reboot and another trailer from Hellblade II? What more stuff has been secured for this year's show? What will the Nintendo prescence be? Where's Silksong?

And what do you want to see? Make sure to speak up about what you want to see so we can collectively make it happen by the pure power of friendship and flower petals!

impo-info4.jpg

Genre Awards

Best Action/Adventure
Alan Wake 2 (Remedy Entertainment/Epic Games Publishing)
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac Games/SIE)
Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Respawn Entertainment/EA)
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Best Action
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco)
Dead Island 2 (Dambuster Studios/Deep Silver)
Ghostrunner 2 (One More Level/505 Games)
Hi-Fi Rush (Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks)
Remnant 2 (Gunfire Games/Gearbox Publishing)

Best RPG
Baldur’s Gate 3 (Larian Studios)
Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix)
Lies of P (Round8 Studio/Neowiz Games)
Sea of Stars (Sabotage Studio)
Starfield (Bethesda Game Studios/Bethesda Softworks)

Best Sports/Racing
EA Sports FC 24 (EA Vancouver/EA Romania/EA Sports)
F1 23 (Codemasters/EA Sports)
Forza Motorsport (Turn 10 Studios/Xbox Game Studios)
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged (Milestone)
The Crew Motorfest (Ubisoft Ivory Tower/Ubisoft)

Best Fighting Game
God of Rock (Modus Studios Brazil/Modus Games)
Mortal Kombat 1 (NetherRealm Studios/WB Games)
Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 (Ludosity/Fair Play Labs/GameMill Entertainment)
Pocket Bravery (Statera Studio/PQube)
Street Fighter 6 (Capcom)

Best Sim/Strategy
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (WayForward/Nintendo)
Cities: Skylines II (Colossal Order/Paradox Interactive)
Company of Heroes 3 (Relic Entertainment/Sega)
Fire Emblem Engage (Intelligent Systems/Nintendo)
Pikmin 4 (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Best Family Game
Disney Illusion Island (Dlala Studios/Disney)
Party Animals (Recreate Games)
Pikmin 4 (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
Sonic Superstars (Arzest/Sonic Team/Sega)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Best Multiplayer
Diablo IV (Blizzard Entertainment)
Party Animals (Recreate Games)

Game Aspects Awards

Best Performance
Ben Starr, Final Fantasy XVI
Cameron Monaghan, STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor
Idris Elba, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Melanie Liburd, Alan Wake 2
Neil Newbon, Baldur’s Gate 3
Yuri Lowenthal, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

Best Audio Design
Dead Space (Motive Studio/EA)
Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)

Best Score and Music
Alan Wake 2, Composer Petri Alanko (Remedy Entertainment/Epic Games Publishing)
Baldur’s Gate 3, Composer Borislav Slavov (Larian Studios)
Final Fantasy XVI, Composer Masayoshi Soken (Square Enix)
Hi-Fi Rush, Audio Director Shuichi Kobori (Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks)
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Composed by Nintendo Sound Team (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Best Art Direction
Lies of P (Round8 Studio/Neowiz Games)

Best Narrative
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (CD Projekt Red)
Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix)

Best Game Direction

Esports Awards

Best Esports Event
2023 League of Legends World Championship
Blast.tv Paris Major 2023
EVO 2023
The International Dota 2 Championships 2023
Valorant Champions 2023

Best Esports Coach
Christine “potter” Chi (Evil Geniuses – Valorant)
Danny “zonic” Sorensen (Team Falcons – Counter-Strike)
Jordan “Gunba” Graham (Florida Mayhem – Overwatch)
Remy “XTQZZZ” Quoniam (Team Vitality – Counter-Strike)
Yoon “Homme” Sung-young (JD Gaming – League of Legends)

Best Esports Athlete
Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok (League of Legends)
Mathieu “ZywOo” Herbaut (CS:GO)
Max “Demon1” Mazanov (Valorant)
Paco “HyDra” Rusiewiez (Call of Duty)
Park “Ruler” Jae-hyuk (League of Legends)
Phillip ”ImperialHal” Dosen (Apex Legends)

Best Esports Team
Evil Geniuses (Valorant)
Fnatic (Valorant)
Gaimin Gladiators (Dota 2)
JD Gaming (League of Legends)
Team Vitality (Counter-Strike)

Best Esports Game
Counter-Strike 2 (Valve)
Dota 2 (Valve)
League of Legends (Riot Games)
PUBG Mobile (LightSpeed Studios/Tencent Games)
Valorant (Riot Games)

Indie and Importance Awards

Best Independent Game
Cocoon (Geometric Interactive/Annapurna Interactive)
Dave the Diver (MINTROCKET)
Dredge (Black Salt Games/Team 17)
Sea of Stars (Sabotage Studio)
Viewfinder (Sad Owl Studios/Thunderful Publishing)

Best Debut Indie Game
Cocoon (Geometric Interactive/Annapurna Interactive)
Dredge (Black Salt Games/Team 17)
Pizza Tower (Tour de Pizza)
Venba (Visai Games)
Viewfinder (Sad Owl Studios/Thunderful Publishing)

Games for Impact
A Space for the Unbound (Mojiken Studio/Toge Productions/Chorus)
Chants of Sennaar (Rundisc/Focus Entertainment)
Goodbye Volcano High (KO_OP)
Tchia (Awaceb/Kepler Interactive)
Terra Nil (Free Lives/Devolver Digital/Netflix)
Venba (Visai Games)

Innovation In Accessibility
Diablo IV (Blizzard Entertainment)
Forza Motorsport (Turn 10 Studios/Xbox Game Studios)
Mortal Kombat 1 (NetherRealm Studios/WB Games)

Miscellaneous Awards

Best VR/AR
Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital/SIE)
Humanity (tha LTD/Enhance Games)
Horizon Call of the Mountain (Guerrilla Games/Firesprite/SIE)
Resident Evil Village VR Mode (Capcom)
Synapse (nDreams)

Best Mobile Game
Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis (Applibot/Square Enix)
Honkai: Star Rail (HoYoverse)
Hello Kitty Island Adventure (Sunblink Entertainment)
Monster Hunter Now (Niantic/Capcom)
Terra Nil (Free Lives/Devolver/Netflix)

Best Community Support
Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt Red)
Destiny 2 (Bungie)
Final Fantasy XIV (Square Enix)
No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)

Best Ongoing Game
Apex Legends (Respawn Entertainment/EA)
Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt Red)
Final Fantasy XIV (Square Enix)
Fortnite (Epic Games)
Genshin Impact (HoYoverse)

Best Adaptation
Castlevania: Nocturne (Powerhouse Animation/Netflix)
Gran Turismo (PlayStation Productions/Sony Pictures)
The Last of Us (PlayStation Productions/HBO)
The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Illumination/Nintendo/Universal Pictures)
Twisted Metal (PlayStation Productions/Peacock)

Content Creator of the Year
IronMouse
PeopleMakeGames
Quackity
Spreen
SypherPK

Most Anticipated Game
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Square Enix)
Hades II (Supergiant Games)
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth (Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio/Sega)
Star Wars Outlaws (Massive Entertainment/Ubisoft)
Tekken 8 (Bandai Namco/Arika)

Tga4.jpg

alan-wake-2-will-feature-the-original-games-actors-cu7u.jpg

Alan Wake II (Remedy Entertainment/Epic Games Publishing)

The successor to the 2010 cult classic sees the player taking on the role of both the FBI agent Saga Anderson as well as the writer Alan Wake himself. It's a grueling, haunting and unique experience that draws more from the survival horror genre this time around and it has been heralded as a tense and enthralling deep-dive into a personal hell. Will it win?

baldurs-gate-3-minthara-1.jpg

Being recognized and praised as one of the - if not THE - richest and most faithful translation of a tabletop experience into a video game, Baldur's Gate 3 has taken the world by storm with its emphasis on player choice and freedom, and it truly boasts an engrossing world and characters to get wholly attached to. Will it win?

MSM2-Preview-Black-Suit-EMF-4k-Legal-2023-scaled.jpg

Spider-Man's web-slinging escapades from 5 years ago makes a return in a sequel that both goes for a darker tone as well as amping up what made the 2018 original great to 11. It's a glorious superhero adventure, where both new and old fans have fallen in love with something that exemplifies everything great with a sequel. Will it win?

residentevil4-3939113b.jpg

Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)

Resident Evil 4 was a genre-defining game when it first broke new ground nearly two decades ago, and now, the remake of the survival horror classic has released to glorious reception as a testament to the fact that true art never dies, and how pure video game magic can be born again through the fusion of old and new. Will it win?

Super-Mario-Bros-Wonder-scrn-08.jpg

Mario has always been about ideas, and this wildly inventive new 2D entry in the series is so packed with them that they seem to spill over the game cartridge itself. It's a celebrated game that has been aptly recognized for its overabundance of sheer passion and polish, and is more or less like its very own force of nature. Will it win?

maxresdefault.jpg

Tears of the Kingdom was eagerly greeted with wide-open arms when it released this year to widespread acclaim. Its multitude of intricate game mechanics and immaculate world design makes for an open world experience whose scope goes far and beyond anything most of its contemporaries could ever achieve. Will it win?

impo-info2.jpg

The deadline for the official Famiboards TGA Betting Special - which can be found here! - ends roughly 12 hours before the pre-show starts, so make sure to get those predictions in before that.

____

So - ready your vibes, steady your bets, please read the important information outlined above, and happy watching!

Last edited:
Awesome ST Irene! Looking forward to the show and hanging out with everyone here :)

I’ll settle for that rumored Persona party game, Geoff. I think my demands are very reasonable.

Excellent ST and A+ title @Irene ! I’m ready to get overly excited and then probably end up just shitposting in here as things go long :)

Nintendo hasn’t missed a single show in the Switch era and have always brought one to three things so I’m excited to see what they bring. Last year was Bayonetta Origins, Fire Emblem DLC, and a Mario Movie clip which was very solid. Seems like Another Code will get a new trailer and demo announcement per Pyoro, so there’s potentially another thing or two. Tons of options this year which is exciting (Prime 2, new Square or Capcom game, Daemon X Machina 2, etc), though I’m down for whatever or nothing else.

Nice OP!

I know people like to rag on the guy a lot, but Geoff clearly works his ass off for these shows and tries to listen to feedback from the fandom a lot. TGA has gotten way better over time in its 10 years of existence.

Nintendo hasn’t missed a single show in the Switch era and have always brought one to three things so I’m excited to see what they bring. Last year was Bayonetta Origins, Fire Emblem DLC, and a Mario Movie clip which was very solid. Seems like Another Code will get a new trailer and demo announcement per Pyoro, so there’s potentially another thing or two. Tons of options this year which is exciting (Prime 2, new Square or Capcom game, Daemon X Machina 2, etc), though I’m down for whatever or nothing else.

I think last year proved the "Nintendo doesn't care about TGA now that Reggie is gone" line of thinking wrong once and for all. Nintendo received awards, Doug Bowser made 2 speeches and they announced 2 games and showed one clip from their first big movie, introduced by an actor from the movie on top of that. They clearly still care.

Great OP!

Well I know my two favorite games of the year won't win, but with a year this good I can't really be upset if any of the games win, and I do mean that. They all are good or look good from what I've seen.

The other big thing I’m excited for walking into The Game Awards walking in is guessing which song or two we’ll get live from The Old Gods of Asgard. I’m really pulling for some version of Herald of Darkness though that’d be hard to live up to the game version of.

The other big thing I’m excited for walking into The Game Awards walking in is guessing which song or two we’ll get live from The Old Gods of Asgard. I’m really pulling for some version of Herald of Darkness though that’d be hard to live up to the game version of.

Ooooh yeah, that's Poets of the Fall, right? They used to be one of my favourite bands. I fell off of them after Temple of Thought as I think they grew stale for me, but some of the early stuff is fire.

Will be cool to see them nevertheless.

I feel like it should be Herald of Darkness or the ending song, though I can't help but be kind of sad it can't be Ahti's song - in my opinion it was just as much of a highlight as Herald of Darkness 😭

Ooooh yeah, that's Poets of the Fall, right? They used to be one of my favourite bands. I fell off of them after Temple of Thought as I think they grew stale for me, but some of the early stuff is fire.

Will be cool to see them nevertheless.
Yup! I don’t know them beyond this, but they have a whole album’s worth of songs from just Remedy games now so there’s quite a few options.

I feel like it should be Herald of Darkness or the ending song, though I can't help but be kind of sad it can't be Ahti's song - in my opinion it was just as much of a highlight as Herald of Darkness 😭

That song was stuck in my head for the rest of my playthrough after I encountered it haha. Would have been so cool if it was possible.

Excellent ST! Informative, well laid out, and the banners and graphics are well done. Also the header image is hilarious. Great thread here. Will it win?

Well they're getting their own performance, but I assumed they must be the ones do represent AW2 in the medley as well, right? Unless they actually go for a different track from the game.

Other than that, I'll just being trying to will this track for RE4's portion of the medley into existence.

Great ST, even greater title!

Won't be watching because it’s too late at night for me, but I hope for a cool announcement or three.

Last edited:
Great thread, Irene! I was wondering when we would get a thread to talk about Bloodborne being snubbed.

Awesome ST. For the first time in…I dunno, a long time, I will actually be watching the show live instead of just reviewing the trailers after. Can’t wait for Old Gods of Asgard!

Thanks for the thread!

I honestly love watching TGAs, especially since I have a solid group of friends that watch it annually together. Granted, half of them only watch because they find the trailers fascinating and don’t even play video games.. but to be fair I am slowly starting to fit that mold too, so it’s okay.

Just got an OLED Steam Deck yesterday, and this will be my first year watching with something other than a Nintendo system, so the premieres should be a little more exciting and less nervous about whether it’ll say Switch or not at the end.

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

The Official Game Awards Betting Special is closing for entries soon!!!!

You have only until I’ve gotten home, had lunch, walked the dogs, and done some chores to get your entries in. Maybe even longer if I forget and/or have a nap. Any which way, it’s soon!!!!

Famiboards badges, minor levels of internet clout, and self-satisfaction are all up for grabs! You need only enter.

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

nice ST

The bait with Horizon clouds from last year that let people thinking it was Zelda, that was the funniest thing ever

not a lot of people know this but I'm the one who made that stupid GEOFF IS GOD ZELDA 2 image

some people on era still have it as their avatar which makes me very happy

not a lot of people know this but I'm the one who made that stupid GEOFF IS GOD ZELDA 2 image

some people on era still have it as their avatar which makes me very happy
The good old Raccoon lore. When we thought that Zelda would show up at TGA 2019.

I most likely won’t be watching live. But really every time I watch a Keighly show live I swear to myself that I’ll never do it again, so there’s no great loss here for me I don’t think.

Great OP @Irene!

I'm using the last of my hype energy on a Silksong appearance. Please, Geoff, end my suffering at last.

Trailer predictions (probably going to be a swing and a miss):
  • Fallout TV show clip shown off AND Fallout 3 Remastered announced, both coming next Spring. Fallout 3 Remastered coming to Switch.
  • Hades 2 early access trailer and release date
  • Dishonored 3
  • Spider-Man 2 DLC announced, centering on Carnage
  • Rocket Racing in Fortnite
  • New Metaphor trailer
  • Planet Coaster 2 announced for PC, early access in 2024
  • Another Code trailer/demo
  • Windwaker HD shadowdrop
  • Subnautica 3 reveal trailer
  • Elden Ring: Shadow of Erdtree reveal trailer

The good old Raccoon lore. When we thought that Zelda would show up at TGA 2019.

Me and my friend stayed up partying for several hours before the show in anticipation for that reveal. We were hard sold on the "Zelda always shows up at the Game Awards, look at 2014, 2016 and 2017" train that people went bat for back then.

Like, sure. It didn't show up. But only for it to be followed up by a global pandemic, no General Directs until 2021 and the annual Zelda game being a warriors spinoff was certainly something.

Have they said how many trailers/announcements there will be this year? Because I'm looking at gematsu's list of confirmed appearences and there's already around 20 teases, which seems like a lot to know before going into the show - will they even have any surprises or will they just tease everything...

Have they said how many trailers/announcements there will be this year? Because I'm looking at gematsu's list of confirmed appearences and there's already around 20 teases, which seems like a lot to know before going into the show - will they even have any surprises or will they just tease everything...
Usually the average is 35-40, not counting the usual suspects (Warframe, Destiny, etc)

I'm 99% sure Armored Core VI won't win, but it's still cool to see it in the noms. One of my favourites this year for sure, and an exceptional action game in its own right.

Hoping for a fun shadowdrop tonight! If so, I will reward myself for watching the whole Game Awards and buy ittttt

can I just say I wish more western game trailers would use their own music instead of songs that don't really fit

I was really expecting Elden Ring DLC to show up tonight, but then Nate didn't really think so on his podcast, which makes me wonder... if not tonight, then when? Elden Ring is nearly two years old at this point - I really thought we would have seen more about it by now.

Leaked announcement/trailer lineup (so far):

• Monster Hunter Wild
  • Resident Evil 4 Gold
  • Dishonored 3
  • Rocket Racing
  • Metaphor ReFantazio
  • Unknown Sega project
  • Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox
WTF ... the 2nd best game franchise of all time is appearing???? Guess I can't miss this ... FFS I was thinking about missing it just in the last few hours because I realized I haven't been playing enough video games 😭

• Monster Hunter Wild
  • Resident Evil 4 Gold
  • Dishonored 3
  • Rocket Racing
  • Metaphor ReFantazio
  • Unknown Sega project
  • Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox
Not a leak per se but

Spoiler tag leaks
Just to get ahead:

Spoiler tag leaks!

The Game Awards is not exactly a Direct, but that doesn't mean that we should treat leaks and reveals with less care.

Some of us still want to be surprised by what the show has to offer, "glorified ad reel" or not.

I was really expecting Elden Ring DLC to show up tonight, but then Nate didn't really think so on his podcast, which makes me wonder... if not tonight, then when? Elden Ring is nearly two years old at this point - I really thought we would have seen more about it by now.
God, really? I’ve been taking it as a given. Really frustrating if it doesn’t show.

• Monster Hunter Wild
  • Resident Evil 4 Gold
  • Dishonored 3
  • Rocket Racing
  • Metaphor ReFantazio
  • Unknown Sega project
  • Baldur's Gate 3 Xbox
Not a leak but also death stranding 2 since Kojima will be there

Back
Top Bottom