• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Game Awards 2023 |ST| Tears of the Keighdom

Yeah I agree with everyone, Kojima is trash and also has never made a good game, fetishizing Kojima when you have Award-winning creator Eiji Aonuma in the room is just embarrassing
Damnit. I need to pull up that famous Austin Walker Tweet, but I don't have a Twitter and I won't bother sharing a link to X. So you just need to know that I'm sitting here looking really sad and tired!

Should have told Kojima to wrap it up after a minute. I don’t get why an ad for a game that isn’t even anything concrete yet gets ten minutes to bang on about it while the creatives being honoured for making games that have literally just won awards get shuffled offstage.

Awards being a commercial vehicle first is nothing new but giving Kojima that long to advertise something that doesn’t exist yet was just woefully disproportionate when others are told to pack it up.

So:
  • Indie Games segregated to the pre-show, they ain't good enough for Hollywood;
  • And if your game isn't indie but we think it "looks" indie, it's indie too;
  • Literally zero acknowledgements for games which does not have an English release. Either nobody in the entire world is releasing games in their own language (obviously I don't mean AAA games, but smaller or independent titles), or the show has a clear Anglo-bias;
  • The offensive and ridiculous Family Category to give Nintendo their sop is still there;
  • And if you win that category, you don't even get a speech;
  • No acknowledgements of the layoffs;
  • A show which goes on for hours and hours with literally nothing interesting gives only 30 seconds to legendary game creators, or directors talking about dead colleagues;
  • Unless you are friend with Hollywood people or the host, that is;
  • A total lack of transparency with the jury.

What a show! Truly a celebration of gaming!

So:
  • Indie Games segregated to the pre-show, they ain't good enough for Hollywood;
  • And if your game isn't indie but we think it "looks" indie, it's indie too;
  • Literally zero acknowledgements for games which does not have an English release. Either nobody in the entire world is releasing games in their own language (obviously I don't mean AAA games, but smaller or independent titles), or the show has a clear Anglo-bias;
  • The offensive and ridiculous Family Category to give Nintendo their sop is still there;
  • And if you win that category, you don't even get a speech;
  • No acknowledgements of the layoffs;
  • A show which goes on for hours and hours with literally nothing interesting gives only 30 seconds to legendary game creators, or directors talking about dead colleagues;
  • Unless you are friend with Hollywood people or the host, that is;
  • A total lack of transparency with the jury.

What a show! Truly a celebration of gaming!
How is this one supposed to work? Are judges supposed to play games in languages they don't understand or something? They supposed to go off "I heard it was good, so I guess I'll vote for it" and nothing else?

Kojima is so loved by the gaming elite because he was one of the first to push ''cinematic games'' which are almost all the games publishers like Sony make nowadays, Nintendo with their old school focus on gameplay alone will always be seen as lesser than those that push games to become more cinematic by shows like the game awards.

These have always felt like extremely disingenuous criticisms to me. Pretty sure that The Game Awards has non-Western outlets on its jury. Of course it's going to cater to games that have English releases - these are the games that catch on with its audience and its panel, they are almost literally the only games that could be nominated. The Game Awards isn't the one true game awards show and it's never claimed to be that, it's weird to expect them to cover literally every game even ones their audience and panel can't play.

And best family game isn't a bad category. People only get offended because there's years where Nintendo doesn't win more awards where it feels like they get a sympathy vote with Best Family game, but like, you realize that Nintendo wouldn't win more awards by removing that "offensive" category, right? It doesn't really seem like a containment category and more like one fitted for multiplayer and co-op games. People would just complain they don't represent more games for all audiences if they removed that category because then the representation of those games would shrink even further. The actual problem with that category is that some games don't even really function as family games, like Pikmin 4, which barely has multiplayer.

Seeing everyone shitting on Geoff under his tweets and posting the 'Please Wrap It Up' image is hilarious, dude deserves serious flack for how he handled the speeches and award presentation this year.

Seeing everyone shitting on Geoff under his tweets and posting the 'Please Wrap It Up' image is hilarious, dude deserves serious flack for how he handled the speeches and award presentation this year.
I saw NintendoLife and Kotaku running articles about it already. Dude's definitely gonna notice that the post-TGA articles by games media is about his handling of the speeches.

Should have told Kojima to wrap it up after a minute. I don’t get why an ad for a game that isn’t even anything concrete yet gets ten minutes to bang on about it while the creatives being honoured for making games that have literally just won awards get shuffled offstage.

Awards being a commercial vehicle first is nothing new but giving Kojima that long to advertise something that doesn’t exist yet was just woefully disproportionate when others are told to pack it up.
The short answer is that Geoff thinks he's Kojima's extra-special friend and would gladly hold Kojima's bags in a raging storm of literal shit.

No wonder Nintendo pays little attention to the game awards, the game awards is all about pushing the gaming industry into narrative and cinematic AAA focus. Nintendo still makes games pretty much only based on gameplay focus, that type of game is not the type of game that the people behind the game awards wants to see as the future of gaming. So Nintendo will always be the odd one out when it comes to the game awards, Nintendo type of games have no place there, its a Sony and Microsoft love fest only and will remain so.

New artwork?

Wow.

soldiers piss on Raiden in MGS2

I'll never forget Gamescom Opening Night Live in 2019 when Kojima was there to present Death Stranding. He showed off the pee mechanic where Sam can make mushrooms grow or whatever it was. The translator was stuttering like "This is uh... uhm.. like... a key. Yes, a key." and the press and their cameras were swarming around Kojima and Geoff looked like he was hit with a ray of holy light.

Visionary.

The problems with The Game Awards is multi-faceted. Developers aren't given enough time to speak and accept their awards. At the same time, I wonder if people would actually be ok with a scenario where developers get more time to speak. I feel like every time I see developers' commentating over their own games in gameplay previews they usually end up getting panned for being too long and boring. It's a change that needs to happen regardless because the award show should be about celebrating the developers, but I just hope the people complaining now wouldn't start complaining when they realize they don't care about Uncharted guy or God of War dude talking.

What's even worse to me is that some of the awards are literally not even spotlighted. That feels so fucking disrespectful and it's never sat right. The moment where Best Action / Adventure got an onstage reveal and then immediately after they went to an offstage Best RPG reveal to get it out of the way felt like a meme to me. This is the biggest failure of the show and it's frankly unacceptable.

The ads / world premieres are never going away but the fact that they're so bad kills the pacing. Almost every ad felt like a fake video game trailer that would be in a movie. Yes, almost every one. This was the first TGA where I noticed it felt like ... big publishers were almost avoiding the show like the plague? There was a decent amount of big publishers stuff for sure, but usually for more unknown properties. I'm not sure if 2024 is really that weak, or if the publishers are just saving their announcements for their own directs / twitter drops or later events. I think most people can admit that the reveals are necessary for the show to maintain its popularity but the fact that they are often awkward or bad just ruins good faith especially as they overtake the awards.

And I'm just going to say it, the celebrity shit needs to stop. Not just in the awards shows, but in the games industry in general. It's already sad that recognizable Hollywood faces for voice actors are necessary to sell animated movies. I don't want the games industry to be like that. I don't want to be thinking about Norman Reedus when I see your Whale Guy. I'm not against the idea of celebrities being actors in games if it's well done, but the idea of using celebrities to sell your game feels inherently toxic to the industry's health. And in general it's just fucking sad that I can't get excited about a Kojima project because of how he markets his games. It feels like he's lost almost all semblance of how to market a game. Most of his trailers are like some girl standing on a beach without their shoes on before they turn around and say "I'M THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, AND THESE ARE MY FEET!". That OD segment didn't convince me of anything other than I need to watch Jordan Peele's movies, it didn't tell me anything about the game itself.

All of these reasons and more (not commenting on the layoffs...) are why I can't really get behind the "Fuck the Oscars" jokes. The Oscars are even more boring than The Game Awards and have similar systemic problems, but the last few times I tried to watch the shows I at least got the feeling that they were genuinely trying to celebrate the people who make movies. I rarely get that from TGA's despite Geoff apparently being passionate about games.

This is the “Geoff Best Friend” segment and one of the best ways for him to get publicity since Jordan Peele came out and will be in all the tweets.

Yeah I think given the state of the industry right now with huge numbers of devs facing a very uncertain future, it made Geoff's usual guff about celebrating gaming ring very hollow. To compound the issue, forcing award winners off stage with strict instructions to wrap it up to free up more time for Geoff's besties and some Hollywood A-listers felt pretty tone deaf.

There's a balance to be had and we know people primarily watch for the trailers, but it seems there was a lot of fat that could have been trimmed to give each award winner 30 seconds more at least.

Last edited:
The biggest source of all problems is Geoff desire to make the show bigger and more important every year, which costs ALOT of money. He wants big announcements, he wants big Hollywood names to present the awards, he wants a live performance from a certain group, he wants to bring back people who became popular the previous year. and the more he adds, the more it costs. So he has to fill the show with tons of ads to recuperate costs. not to mention the weird priority he was with some people like Kojima.

The show doesn't need half of the stuff it has. Keep the orchestra, keep the stage, only bring in industry people, get 4-5 big announcements, use the rest of the runtime for the awards and thats it. It will become so much better

It can bin off all the esports stuff as well. Seriously, at an awards show celebrating creatives and the years of effort put into these projects, ‘best player of a game made by a team of hundreds of people who never get mentioned’ or whatever just feels really unbalanced. Split them off into a seperate event built around esports.

I feel like speeches that need to get translated should get extra time cause they're basically being recited twice but what do I know

Geoff Keighley has been working in the video game award business on and off since the mid-90s. He apparently aimed for the TGAs to be like the Academy Awards for games. But I'd argue due to his years as the reigning dorito pope he has no idea what that even means and the show seemingly exists primarily to advertise upcoming games/dlc. The show is not radically different from the VGA shows just less celebrities forced to be there and more announcements instead.

The only reason most people seemingly even watch TGA is for the announcements, this is reflected in the time dedicated to new announcements in the show as well as 90% of the news coverage of the event. Each award holds approximately the same weight as another, which is that it might be used as a small blurb when advertising the game in the future.

If Geoff or anyone at the TGA wants this show to be taken as a celebration of games and developers they probably should restructure the show significantly, but with the numbers they are doing they probably aren't interested.

In my heart of hearts, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the GOTY and the best game I’ve played that came out in the last five years, which is solely my $0.02.

But damn do I wanna play Baldur’s Gate 3 now. It looked pretty cool and I didn’t have a chance to play it yet but all the buzz is getting me pretty hyped, especially after witnessing some of my close friends’ reactions to Divinity Original Sin 2 before BG3 even launched in early access. I’ve also been hearing a lot about the queer representation in BG3 and it means a lot and has gotten me very interested. I was holding out for a Steam sale or something because I only play on Switch and PC but I think I might just cop it for $60 if it’s really that good. Not the biggest fan of the overhead perspective and the control layout on keyboard and mouse but there are mods for that and I can get around it. Really looking forward to a BG3 port for the next Nintendo system (which should probably be able to handle it sans coop perhaps).

I’ve also been having a great time with Alan Wake II. It looks stunning and some of the narrative choices have legitimately surprised me. Great game and miles better than the first one and probably even Control. Cannot wait to see more of the Remedy-verse.

See, I would just start the show at noon local time and say to the winners, hey, you have all the time in the world to give your speech. make it count.

I kinda agree with some other people here in saying that the main issues with this show are systemic. It's this weird "have your cake and eat it too"-attitude: Video games are all grown up now, it's a serious artistic medium just like film and tv... but only when it's convenient. If people try to point out issues, others are very quickly switching to "well, it's just a silly game" or "we have to make money somehow!" So it's fitting that an award show trying to celebrate video games has the same issues 👀

Last edited:
No wonder Nintendo pays little attention to the game awards, the game awards is all about pushing the gaming industry into narrative and cinematic AAA focus. Nintendo still makes games pretty much only based on gameplay focus, that type of game is not the type of game that the people behind the game awards wants to see as the future of gaming. So Nintendo will always be the odd one out when it comes to the game awards, Nintendo type of games have no place there, its a Sony and Microsoft love fest only and will remain so.
Overwatch is my favorite narrative/cinematic focused game awards winner, followed by Sekiro and Breath of the Wild.

Did not watch the show this year because I always felt it was more of a Geoff's personal pr evening than a celebration of games and the developers making them. After taking a look at the things people are complaining about I can only say that I hope Geoff never do an award show again and do the winter games fest he obvious want to do.
I really hope one of the other game award shows becomes the celebration of games the developers deserve.

No other show will become the default until people watch those other ones. BAFTA, GDC, whatever is all tiny compared to this in views and that leads to more people wanting their game shown here and more importance given.

I keep seeing posts on multiple forums and reddit about how "TGA doesn't matter to any serious dev" or something when you literally have Aonuma, Sven, Tsujimoto, etc attending in person among many media folks.

To put it into reductive terms, we need a Nintendo Direct for 1 hour (TGA trailers and ads segment) followed by a Treehouse segment (actual awards, speeches, and interviews segment). It will not earn enough money overall since there will be less ads later on, but they can take the financial hit and truly celebrate games this way. Give everyone time. Let people thank the developers and their families and whoever else, let them shine.

I know the majority of people at home are tuning in for the announcements and not the awards, but I think Geoff should at least pay more than the absolute bare minimum of lip service the thing your show is called. It doesn't need to be split out into its own thing, but it should be more than 20 minutes of a 3 hour show. Even an extra 10 minutes would make all the difference.

The biggest and most obvious thing is to allow more time for speeches. I don't think any reasonable person disagrees that 30 seconds was way too short, and obviously last year's 8 minuter was silly too. I'd say allow for 1 minute, but also give a 30 second grace period at the end in case a developer saying something important about diversity or talking about a recent death on the dev team.

I dislike the rapid fire award presentations but if they absolutely want to stick with it to save on time then for goodness sake, give Best Music and Best Indie Game a full showing. Boggles my mind that they're shunted away, especially given Geoff's lip-service to how important music is with a live orchestra and how he's championed some major indie game announcements in the past.

Some of the celebrity intros and skits went on a little too long but I don't think it was as bad as it could have been (barring the Kojima section, there was no reason that needed to be 8 minutes long). Still, rein that in a little bit and you'll gain precious minutes. Also just maybe have a few less announcements? I'm sure I wasn't alone in glazing over a few games and straight up forgetting others. Maybe they bring in a ton of money but I don't feel like it would affect things too much if two or three of them were canned.

I sit in between as well.
I enjoyed several segments in this year's show (which is more than in previous years) and some very cool announcements came out of it. Didn't note speakers getting the cut off too much, because I watched it with the Easy Allies and the audio of the show was quieter in the mix (didn't really hear the music starting again).
I am pretty sure that severely extending speech time of winners would not go down well with the majority of the viewers at home (still would be more respectful to the devs, of course).

But I think there were too many trailers/ads.
Kick some ads, reduce the Kojima worshipping and limit the speech time of some award presenters and suddenly this show could be much better balanced.
They really should give out awards on stage in all major categories.

I feel like the next game awards should be split into three segments
  • Actual awards: One to one and a half hours. Make a new roster of awards and give devs actual time to give speeches and honor the talented teams behind games. Also, give the devs time frames as to how long they could talk BEFORE they get up on stage
  • Trailers/ ads: Half an hour. Look, I get that showing indie games at an event like this is a cool way to give them exposure, but I have never seen anybody be convinced to buy a new/ lesser known studios game based on a game awards trailer. There is a good reason nintendo has specific events for indies and doesn’t put them in directs, it just puts the indies in a place where they will be squashed by the larger announcements to have them here. In the future they should only show big trailers people would get exited about and cut out the large amounts of filler that just make the show drag on
  • Bits/ Special segments: 30 minutes. Now what do I mean by ”segments and special segments”? I mean parts of the show focusing on celebrating a specific game. Examples of this are the Alan wake song they played this year or when they played the smash ultimate theme in 2018. These segments can be animated videos, music, anything that celebrates an individual game. This idea does beg the question “Why do this?” And I think it would make certain games getting snubbed in the awards department feel a lot less worse. Like imagine if they had a live performance of find your flame from sonic frontiers, or an animated video for starfield, or if they had muppet talking flowers when gonzo came around. It would give an opportunity to recognize the greatness of games that may not have gotten that much recognition at the awards, and would give the entire show the feeling of being a celebration of gaming instead of just an ad reel with some occasional awards playing out
I they did these things the show would suddenly be 100 times more entertaining and like an hour shorter

interspersing them is not only the point, it’s better for the games

like I hate TGA but juggling each kind of thing is absolutely the strategy that gets the most eyes on all things. chunks would destroy that. we’re only coming from one angle here, and we are already enthusiasts.

• Actual awards: One to one and a half hours. Make a new roster of awards and give devs actual time to give speeches and honor the talented teams behind games. Also, give the devs time frames as to how long they could talk BEFORE they get up on stage
  • Trailers/ ads: Half an hour. Look, I get that showing indie games at an event like this is a cool way to give them exposure, but I have never seen anybody be convinced to buy a new/ lesser known studios game based on a game awards trailer. There is a good reason nintendo has specific events for indies and doesn’t put them in directs, it just puts the indies in a place where they will be squashed by the larger announcements to have them here. In the future they should only show big trailers people would get exited about and cut out the large amounts of filler that just make the show drag on
  • Bits/ Special segments: 30 minutes. Now what do I mean by ”segments and special segments”? I mean parts of the show focusing on celebrating a specific game. Examples of this are the Alan wake song they played this year or when they played the smash ultimate theme in 2018. These segments can be animated videos, music, anything that celebrates an individual game. This idea does beg the question “Why do this?” And I think it would make certain games getting snubbed in the awards department feel a lot less worse. Like imagine if they had a live performance of find your flame from sonic frontiers, or an animated video for starfield, or if they had muppet talking flowers when gonzo came around. It would give an opportunity to recognize the greatness of games that may not have gotten that much recognition at the awards, and would give the entire show the feeling of being a celebration of gaming instead of just an ad reel with some occasional awards playing out
I they did these things the show would suddenly be 100 times more entertaining and like an hour shorter
Splitting it all out would be a mistake - you'd just lose most viewers for the awards section and you lose eyes on some smaller games up for something that may benefit from attention. People will just show up for the trailers.

Also, you should absolutely keep indie titles in terms of trailers l. Variety is a good thing - you just need to be more selective overall. There were plenty of mid budget/higher budget titles in there that had me dozing off that could also do with being cut down.

Even worse is telling the BG3 dev the same when he's honouring a recently deceased colleague.
Did not notice this. This was in very bad taste, then. Have a bit of compassion, and don't just automatically apply the same rule to everyone without evaluating it on a case by case basis. This just proves that GK wasn't paying attention to the speech.

My sentiments exactly. The show was honoring mediums that were finished and won awards. Why bother with a medium that most certainly is still on the concept stage, and will probably be a Xbox next gen launch title?

I concur. Other than that, there are Directors, Producers and other key personnel of video game projects that are equal or more important than Kojima.

Indie Games segregated to the pre-show, they ain't good enough for Hollywood;
Yep, especially after everyone made a big deal out of the Dave the Diver situation. Wouldn't surprise me if it was on purpose to manage the situation that way (and thank God Dave did not win). And it's such a shame that a seemingly good game is getting bad rep because of an idiot's blunder (or several of them).

Literally zero acknowledgements for games which does not have an English release. Either nobody in the entire world is releasing games in their own language (obviously I don't mean AAA games, but smaller or independent titles), or the show has a clear Anglo-bias;
Did not think of this, but you make a good point.

And if you win that category, you don't even get a speech;
If this is the category that SMB Wonder won, then yes, Doug Bowser got a speech, but that particular prize was released to the pre-show.

Unless you are friend with Hollywood people or the host, that is;
Daddy Liu should have been more than enough Hollywood dose xP

How is this one supposed to work? Are judges supposed to play games in languages they don't understand or something? They supposed to go off "I heard it was good, so I guess I'll vote for it" and nothing else?
...You either put judges that know more than one language and/or assign them a translator. MercuryStream, for example, is a Spaniard game dev studio. They could certainly get people from there to help with Spanish speaking video games. Or maybe even journalists like Necro, from Brazil, help with video games from said jurisdiction and/or Portugal.

Nintendo just seeing TGA as an extension of marketing works fine. Revealing Joker at the TGAs as the first new SSBU Fighter was phenomenal, moreso the way they revealed him. I am getting goosebumps as I write this, and I love rewatching the watch party at the Nintendo NYC Store.

The problems with The Game Awards is multi-faceted. Developers aren't given enough time to speak and accept their awards. At the same time, I wonder if people would actually be ok with a scenario where developers get more time to speak. I feel like every time I see developers' commentating over their own games in gameplay previews they usually end up getting panned for being too long and boring. It's a change that needs to happen regardless because the award show should be about celebrating the developers, but I just hope the people complaining now wouldn't start complaining when they realize they don't care about Uncharted guy or God of War dude talking.
It's as easy as trying to establish a perfect time for devs to talk. It's a trail-n-error sort of thing. Or maybe: it worked in these awards, so maybe let's change it up just a bit for the next ones.

The ads / world premieres are never going away but the fact that they're so bad kills the pacing.
I personally didn't feel like they killed the pace, but like I mentioned before, I only put the show for background noise, so since I wasn't paying that much of attention maybe didn't help with me noticing this probably obvious issue to some.

Almost every ad felt like a fake video game trailer that would be in a movie. Yes, almost every one. This was the first TGA where I noticed it felt like ... big publishers were almost avoiding the show like the plague? There was a decent amount of big publishers stuff for sure, but usually for more unknown properties. I'm not sure if 2024 is really that weak, or if the publishers are just saving their announcements for their own directs / twitter drops or later events. I think most people can admit that the reveals are necessary for the show to maintain its popularity but the fact that they are often awkward or bad just ruins good faith especially as they overtake the awards.
By the way, I never got Matthew McCounaghhey's involvement with the game he promoted. Was he a voice actor or something? He never specified and that trailer didn't make it obvious. And I don't think they were avoiding the show. Maybe they just don't have anything to show yet, or even if they do, it terms of calendar, it makes more since to do it at a later event.

The biggest source of all problems is Geoff desire to make the show bigger and more important every year, which costs ALOT of money. He wants big announcements, he wants big Hollywood names to present the awards, he wants a live performance from a certain group, he wants to bring back people who became popular the previous year. and the more he adds, the more it costs. So he has to fill the show with tons of ads to recuperate costs. not to mention the weird priority he was with some people like Kojima.

The show doesn't need half of the stuff it has. Keep the orchestra, keep the stage, only bring in industry people, get 4-5 big announcements, use the rest of the runtime for the awards and thats it. It will become so much better
I wholeheartedly agree with you. "Quality, not quantity", as they say. The show can ever grow too big, and I think the three hour timestamp was too much (three and a half, if you add the pre show). If they wanna hit 180 minutes, just have the pre-show be 30 minutes and the whole show the rest of the 2.5 hours. I can't think of no need as to why the show has to be this long. Trim some fat from unnecessary announcements and award categories that are meaningless. Maybe fuse some awards.
Someone made the calculations and the numbers are absolutely awful

Like someone else said, yes, award shows will forever have a commercial aspect to them, but come on. you need to play at balance here! Don't just shoot trailers around and actually give TGA content. Ten minutes of speech for people the hardcore gamers know, the ones that watch the show, is pathetically low. People wanna hear a bit come from the winners they follow and talk about in social media. Give it to them. They also tune-in for the reveals, but come one. Ten minutes for speeches for the people that actually got to speak is too low.

And if you wanna bring Hollywood big names, then fine, but just cut the trim. These people cost money and it wouldn't surprise me that Matthew and Simu got a lot of the budget allocation for TGA.

I love Jason lmao

Getting the attention it rightfully deserves. Hopefully they fix this for their 10th anniversary.

I kinda agree with some other people here in saying that the main issues with this show are systemic. It's this weird "have your cake and eat it too"-attitude: Video games are all grown up now, it's a serious artistic medium just like film and tv... but only when it's convenient. If people try to point out issues, others are very quickly switching to "well, it's just a silly game" or "we have to make money somehow! So it's fitting that an award show trying to celebrate video games has the same issues 👀
A medium pretty much everyone is getting their hands inside because it's a market that was grown into the billions valuation and is in constant growth. The Saudis invested in Nintendo, Snoop Dog had invested in a video game studio, I think LeBron James did the same thing, but we have Matthew trying to participate in it, and so is Simu Liu. Gaming isn't the little kids hobby anymore. It's a big, and profitable market. Having Microsoft participate in it should be enough evidence of such, and big wigs should stop treating it like so.

I’ve been laughing at this for the past 10 minutes

Poor Ben Starr xD

After taking a look at the things people are complaining about I can only say that I hope Geoff never do an award show again
I think there will TGAs for the years to come. All we can do is resoundly criticize it for them to correct the issues.

No other show will become the default until people watch those other ones. BAFTA, GDC, whatever is all tiny compared to this in views and that leads to more people wanting their game shown here and more importance given.
Unless those awards can find their Geoff, it won't happen. They need the budget and connections to do so. Geoff has connections and he gets the budget.

----------

Also, forgot to mention something in my post:
-- The fact that Geoff joked with Kratos' voice actor taking less time pretty much confirms that he takes criticism into consideration and he tries to adjust the Award's faults. Personally, I think he's a genuine guy with a clear goal in mind, but like everyone else, he has his faults.

...You either put judges that know more than one language and/or assign them a translator. MercuryStream, for example, is a Spaniard game dev studio. They could certainly get people from there to help with Spanish speaking video games. Or maybe even journalists like Necro, from Brazil, help with video games from said jurisdiction and/or Portugal
At that point, why waste those kinds of resources like when you can just translate and release the game normally, rather than having a translator stand over a journalist's shoulder and read the game for them? It's a silly solution for a borderline nonexistent problem.

Back
Top Bottom