• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Game Awards 2023 |ST| Tears of the Keighdom

I do feel like TotK didn't feel as well recognized as it should have given its technical achievements and the level of freedom it offered players. I don't feel like its a matter of it being snubbed though, more that the award categories don't really lend themselves to highlighting achievements like this. I kinda wish genre awards would move away for something that resembled best "moments".
Yeah Nintendo games definitely do come in at a disadvantage in terms of total possible awards with the focus on “Best Narrative” “Best Performance” categories. Even BotW didn’t utterly sweep in its year. Nintendo just simply don’t focus on stuff that some of these categories cover

judging by both switch 2 threads (general and hardware) alot of people just have pent up anxiety about the next system right now lol

people forget about these awards in a week by the way. The only thing people talk about from last year is the Bill Clinton kid

Yeah Nintendo games definitely do come in at a disadvantage in terms of total possible awards with the focus on “Best Narrative” “Best Performance” categories. Even BotW didn’t utterly sweep in its year. Nintendo just simply don’t focus on stuff that some of these categories cover
Imagine if there was a category for "Best Gameplay" at the Game Awards

Uhh, no. At least from my personal experience, SOME Nintendo fans are worse than other fanbases. Notice how I'm emphasizing "SOME". I've been around in other communities. Some of the stuff you'll find on this forum and others are worse than what I've come across in other fandoms.
A Sony fan pushed my granny into oncoming traffic and a PC gamer heated up a doorknob so much that when my grandpa touched it his hand got burned and he had to go cool it in the snow. The only fandom I've had a worse experience with is Looney Tunes (painted a tunnel on a wall which I then ran into).

I was rooting for Zelda and expecting Baldur’s Gate 3, but I’m surprised that Spider-Man 2 didn’t get anything. J. Jonah Jameson must be in charge of the voting jury. The Game Awards sponsored by Oscorp.

Reveal wise I was most excited by the multiple Sega games announced. I hope they turn out well.

Pikmin 4 got an award so I still have hope in humanity.

Uhh, no. At least from my personal experience, SOME Nintendo fans are worse than other fanbases. Notice how I'm emphasizing "SOME". I've been around in other communities. Some of the stuff you'll find on this forum and others are worse than what I've come across in other fandoms.
If the stuff you've seen on famiboards even registers as the worst in console warring you haven't really seen anything at all lol.

Solid show. Think it was let down a bit due to 2024 just not being a particularly strong year: the quality of announcements were just as good if not better than last year's, but so many of them are multiple years away. Definitely puts a damper on everything.

Hats off to Baldur's Gate 3, really impressive effort from Larian and a well deserved win.

How deep is the TGA rot? Paid voters? Not trying to definitively assert anything. Just asking questions.
On to something. Why would you award BG3 the GOTY and have it seemingly shadow drop on Xbox at the same time…to pump up Microsoft and the studio working with Kojima on the new game!

said in HBomberguy voice with camera panning

Lol. The one Keighley mantra is not upsetting the advertisers. He will never say anything remotely “controversial” (I quote that not that I think these things should be controversial to discuss but in the view of the suits writing the checks).
Which I think makes it even sillier to write screeds about how the bear sex game winning over the magic car simulator game is an outrage

Eh, I don't really expect Geoff to use The Game Awards talk about global wars that are going on. And honestly what is he supposed to say about the layoffs? They suck, but almost none of the suits that made those decisions were there tonight., or probably even watching. I doubt the CEO of Embracer gives a crap about the TGA's.

For making a racist suicide joke you have been banned for two weeks. -xghost777, meatbag, VolcanicDynamo
Aonuma is a better man than me becouse if I made a game like TOTK and ended up losing to a D&D game I would quit the game industry
He should retire because his 96 metacritic game which was the fastest selling in Nintendo history didn't win an awards show.

Mod edit: Offensive joke removed.

The unnatural push has prevailed!!!
predictably ;)

Imagine if there was a category for "Best Gameplay" at the Game Awards
I know you’re joking but I kinda feel like this should be the case? For example, I still don’t know what Best Direction refers to. But I feel like Tears of the Kingdom should have won in the sense that it takes incredible direction and team with a mind-bogglingly unified vision to be able to nail those emergent mechanics with nary a bug.

Why don’t we have a category for Best Platformer? Best Turn-Based RPG? Or heck, just Most Innovative Game Mechanics? Also I’m still iffy about Dave The Diver being in the indie category at all.

Anyway, despite my misgivings with the award ceremony itself, I still am glad about Baldur’s Gate 3 getting the win and the recognition. We need more love for CRPGs.

Lol. The one Keighley mantra is not upsetting the advertisers. He will never say anything remotely “controversial” (I quote that not that I think these things should be controversial to discuss but in the view of the suits writing the checks).
I know "Fuck the Oscars" has become something of a meme attached to TGA but one thing I appreciate about the Oscars is people will get up to that mic and spit facts that have conservative news anchors popping forehead blood vessels the following day.

Eh, I don't really expect Geoff to use The Game Awards talk about global wars that are going on. And honestly what is he supposed to say about the layoffs? They suck, but almost none of the suits that made those decisions were there tonight., or probably even watching. I doubt the CEO of Embracer gives a crap about the TGA's.
Well the alternative I guess is nonstop ballwashing of these corporations, which is what we get every year. A change of pace would have been nice.

I know you’re joking but I kinda feel like this should be the case? For example, I still don’t know what Best Direction refers to. But I feel like Tears of the Kingdom should have won in the sense that it takes incredible direction and team with a mind-bogglingly unified vision to be able to nail those emergent mechanics with nary a bug.

Why don’t we have a category for Best Platformer? Best Turn-Based RPG? Or heck, just Most Innovative Game Mechanics? Also I’m still iffy about Dave The Diver being in the indie category at all.

Anyway, despite my misgivings with the award ceremony itself, I still am glad about Baldur’s Gate 3 getting the win and the recognition. We need more love for CRPGs.
Oh I'm not joking. 😂 I mean my tone was snarky towards TGA but I definitely believe the awards should be more gameplay and tech focused, as opposed to trying so hard to mimic film awards with categories for "direction" and "performance."

I know "Fuck the Oscars" has become something of a meme attached to TGA but one thing I appreciate about the Oscars is people will get up to that mic and spit facts that have conservative news anchors popping forehead blood vessels the following day.
Nothing would look more incongruous than talking about people being bombed and then transitioning to a trailer with fucking Call of Duty or “Murder Sim GaaS launching today”, so I understand that part not being in the platform. At least acknowledge the hard work of people that were just let go fr their jobs when you Acknowledge all the hard working developers and whatnot.

If any game was robbed it was Pokemon SLEEP.
With Google's presence I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned at all. If I'm not mistaken it won best "Game for Good" in Google Play US rankings, and won in the "Cute and Cosy" category in Japan. Pokémon's licencing can be pretty fickle and there wasn't a bunch of time on mobile games, so it SHOULDN'T be a surprise that it doesn't appear, but still.

like at least someone with a union sign or a palestine flag in the audience just something
To be clear, I don't actually expect any major outlet to show support for Palestine, but if Geoff did he'd go down as a hero in my book.

Instead we got... well, that. Can't be too surprised when video gaming as an industry came into notability during the rise of neoliberalism in the 80s.

Nothing would look more incongruous than talking about people being bombed and then transitioning to a trailer with fucking Call of Duty or “Murder Sim GaaS launching today”, so I understand that part not being in the platform.
See I also understand, but my takeaway from that is to maybe not give such a platform to fucking Call of Duty or "Murder Sim GaaS launching today," but that'd mean a much larger overhaul of the industry and culture than we can expect, sadly.

At least acknowledge the hard work of people that were just let go fr their jobs when you Acknowledge all the hard working developers and whatnot.
Absogoddamnlutely
But then the sad thing is, yeah, talk about corporations screwing their employees and watch those corporations stop funding the event with ads. Which, ya know, might not be such a issue if this were an awards ceremony and not a three-hour ad reel. Which is, again, a bigger issue altogether 😅

Zelda is my GOTY & overall I think they did a good job of making this Hyrule feel fresh and worth exploring again, but let's be honest, the fact that so much from BotW was reused in TotK was always going to be the big rainy cloud above its GOTY ambitions.

I haven't played BG3 (yet), but from what I heard, it's an amazing game that is groundbreaking, similar to how BotW in 2017 and Elden Ring in 2022 were. So, well-deserved win for Larian.

Also, there is a trend with sequels on the same console (that borrow most of its assets from the predecessor) doing considerably worse in terms of recognition and accolades, and not necessarily because they are worse games. Majora's Mask, Super Mario Galaxy 2, God of War Ragnarok to name a few.

Last thing: Nintendo needs to do better with the next Zelda in a some key aspects, mainly writing and music. I know Nintendo doesn't necessarily agree, but good writing is extremely important, especially if you look at the last ten GOTY winners. More often than not, the narrative was the key aspect that made them win.

Back
Top Bottom