• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Game Awards 2023 |ST| Tears of the Keighdom

Non-Nintendo fanboys and insulting games that are Nintendo.
Nah seriously though. Y'all know I'm a big Nintendo guy. I've been in this community for several years now across multiple forums. I say this with love. SOME Nintendo fans are worse than SOME Sony/Xbox fans. Everything that's not Nintendo or a JRPG sucks to them for some reason. As a fan of multiple different genres and consoles, it can make this forum feel kinda alienating sometimes.

Never a huge fan of these kinds of shows, they always boil down to just this:

However, I do think that Baldur's Gate III was 100% the right choice for GotY. Absolutely stellar title that I think wiped the floor with every other candidate in some regard.

even more likely nintendo tries to get BG3 as a big switch 2 launch window thing, assuming that third party relations guy being in the special thanks means they haven't done so already

My overall opinion: decent show if you're in it for the trailers, absolutely horrible show if you care about it as an actual awards event. Kojima got more time to give absolutely no information about OD and fucking Gonzo got more time for a stupid skit about banging chickens than most of the actual award winners got to thank the people that made the actual games

Also, call me a fanboy but it's feels absolutely wild that BG3 got 7 awards and TotK got 1

Everything that's not Nintendo or a JRPG sucks to them for some reason. As a fan of multiple different genres and consoles, it can make this forum feel kinda alienating sometimes.

Isn't that the same for all other console fanboys? I know a bunch of Sony fanboys who think any game that is not 3rd person realistic cinematic game not worth playing.

Think this year was a significant step down from last year, which seemed to look like the show picking up from its 2019-2021 dark age. The mandatory middle bloat section is always too long but this year it felt way longer and I'm increasingly sick of not only the homogenizing of the AAA industry, but also it's over-reliance on CGI trailers. I also felt really sad for Nakamura (Or what her name is, the Ghostwire Tokyo lady) who sort of really wanted to be her endearing self again, but was met with silence.

Lost Records looked amazingly cool and heartwarming, if they got the OG Life Is Strange writers back on it, it has enormous potential.

Awards-wise, I'm surprised at this much of a sweep for BG3. Just hats off to Larian, they seem to have created something really special this time around. TotK for action/adventure was extremely well deserved, of course. The year's most unexpected win was probably Pikmin 4 nailing strategy, which did make sense, however.

But in all seriousness, it's all just in good silly fun, and it's being made good silly fun because of watching along with all of you.

So, thanks Fami!

Happy Pikmin 4 won something and got an ovation, my nine carrots and all the people who worked in the game deserved nothing less than that.

Isn't it well known that most of the winners are from earlier in the year? Recency bias isn't really a thing with TGA
Usually the most recently released games don’t win, so it actually works against titles. The biggest negative strike against a game though is coming out in December. Basically no shot at an award unless it’s the niche category awards.

My overall opinion: decent show if you're in it for the trailers, absolutely horrible show if you care about it as an actual awards event. Kojima got more time to give absolutely no information about OD and fucking Gonzo got more time for a stupid skit about banging chickens than most of the actual award winners got to thank the people that made the actual games

Also, call me a fanboy but it's feels absolutely wild that BG3 got 7 awards and TotK got 1
They weren't really competing on that many awards anyways, and on some of those Alan Wake 2 won.

BG3 got to be in conversation for the most overrated game of all time with the amount of awards it cleaned up?

If anything GOTY should've come down to TotK vs Alan Wake.

RE4 also being done dirty just because it's a remake.

When you have a game revolutionize a genre to critical acclaim, it makes sense as a GOTY! Congrats to Larian. Haven’t played BG3 and was rooting for Zelda, but with what I know, I can’t consider it a snub at all. It could’ve gone either way and it seemed to do for RPGs what BotW did for open worlds back then.

Good spread of awards tonight I think, only thing I would’ve changed is Zelda should’ve taken best direction as a recognition for its insane mechanics and polish of them.

If would've been the same in other places if Gate 3 hadn't win it. Very strange.
True. Based on reception, it sounds like they both deserved it, tbh. I feel like TGA (nearly) always picks something good. I wanted Metroid Dread to win in 2021, but It Takes Two was just as deserving.

even more likely nintendo tries to get BG3 as a big switch 2 launch window thing, assuming that third party relations guy being in the special thanks means they haven't done so already
the two og baldur gates are on the switch already so yeah its coming and im still not gonna play it lol

I never understood why award shows became a thing in the first place. Do you need a trophy to tell you a movie/game/song/play/whatever was good?
Music is the strangest one to me. It’s so much more subjective and broad. Half the genres are an automatic disqualification from any mainstream category award even if they might be “the best” release.

I haven't played BG3 but it's clear it's a game that made a huge impact and got a ton of buzz. Nobody should be surprised it won.

Genuinely, this corporate advertisement parade disguised as an awards show does not deserve being upset over lol.

Both BG3 and AW2 are still on my backlog. But Totk is for sure my least favorite 3d Zelda, so I'm glad it got only one award.
Though I feel sad for Aonuma and Fujibayashi. Hope they get pumped for the next one and bring something completely new.

We all know the real most important thing that happened during The Game Awards.

1080° Snowboarding, Harvest Moon 64, and Jet Force Gemini released on the Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online application for Nintendo Switch for Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack Members.

Not that they were at the show! But they did release DURING it.

Is it me or does Aonuma give off the most down the earth vibes out of most of the people I've seen in this industry lol. He just seems like a regular guy.

If this was another year, Zelda would have won probably.

BG3 got to be in conversation for the most overrated game of all time with the amount of awards it cleaned up?

If anything GOTY should've come down to TotK vs Alan Wake.

RE4 also being done dirty just because it's a remake.
Another Zelda fan entering the Salty Splatoon.

Isn't that the same for all other console fanboys? I know a bunch of Sony fanboys who think any game that is not 3rd person realistic cinematic game not worth playing.
At least that's for graphics. And this is only some fans. But I'd rather deal with that than people calling other games "grimdark sad dad games" and "walking simulators" all the damn time. Even the GTA trailer thread was filled with "Yep that looks like GTA" comments, which is like damn okay got anything better to add?

Nah seriously though. Y'all know I'm a big Nintendo guy. I've been in this community for several years now across multiple forums. I say this with love. SOME Nintendo fans are worse than SOME Sony/Xbox fans. Everything that's not Nintendo or a JRPG sucks to them for some reason. As a fan of multiple different genres and consoles, it can make this forum feel kinda alienating sometimes.
nah. Don’t even.

All fanbases have the worst people, theses no “some are worst then some other's”. You’ll noticed mostly the ones you hangout around with the most. Fanbases this big? You’ll get alienated from all directions if you spend too much time in any of the fanbases.

Like, I’m this thread. It was probably 3 folks that probably went overboard for BG3 winning in the last 2 pages or so. Everyone else was just run of the mill banter/humor.

When you have a game revolutionize a genre to critical acclaim, it makes sense as a GOTY! Congrats to Larian. Haven’t played BG3 and was rooting for Zelda, but with what I know, I can’t consider it a snub at all. It could’ve gone either way and it seemed to do for RPGs what BotW did for open worlds back then.

Good spread of awards tonight I think, only thing I would’ve changed is Zelda should’ve taken best direction as a recognition for its insane mechanics and polish of them.
This is what I'm saying. I never played the game but it was and is impossible to miss the word of mouth about the game. It struck a chord in gamers that was unexpected. It stands out.

I just can't understand the salt. Especially in a year where there were so many amazing games. Some that we'll be talking about for years to come.

That's definitely not more iconic on here than people being salty about third party games
It's definitely been more iconic in my irl LOL

Nintendo fanboys and insulting games that are Nintendo.
There we go 😎

I mean if you pick the worst Ninty fans and compare them to the mildest XB/PS fans then yeah, some are worse than some. But I've been outright bullied and called epithets that would get me banned from Fami for enjoying Mario and Sonic by people who insist FPSs and "games with blood" are the only "real" games.

And yes I'm taking about actual people I've known and dealt with in real life, not hyperbolic jerks online. In-person experiences. Nintendo hate and Nintendo fan hate is wild out there.

Looking forward to playing Baldur's Gate III when I get the chance (waiting a bit to see when updates are finally complete since it's rare for me to replay games). Divinity Original Sin II was an amazing game so I'm sure I'll concur with the consensus there.

I think the game awards was better than the last 2 that have happened. I don't have any major disagreements with any of the awards. The only one that kinda scratches my head is Art Direction, I have expereinced all of the noms except Alan wake. I thought all of the noms I played had great Art direction. So am I just really sleeping on Alan Wake from an Art Direction perspective?

Show itself peaked at Alan Wake's rock opera on Broadway.

Flute guy would make a fun Trombone Champ streamer.

Baldur's Gate 3 beating Tears of the Kingdom probably delays the next Zelda an additional 2 years on top of the perfunctory delay it will get.
Aonuma to the Zelda team: "We need even more dungeons and dragons in this game!"

Last edited:
I’m sure ToTK will have the plurality of the industry GOTY awards when all is said and done…so people can get upset if this prediction doesn’t come true.

Nintendo probably could’ve cleaned house with Zelda if the writing, story and voice acting was actually good. Felt like a bit of a afterthought when I played TOTK

Literally screaming and puking and shitting myself over a turn-based game winning when the rest of the industry has moved on. Why would Geoff do this? This cannot be. Nandemo... nandemo... NANDEMO
Dardan this is funny but it's only a slight exaggeration over how some people are actually acting

Wait, does that make it funnier

On a more serious note, I was actually super happy for Sam Lake and the rest of the Remedy team, especially knowing how difficult things have been for them over the years. Love what he said about direction being nothing without the team to actually make the game (paraphrased). Wish the people calling the shots in this industry realized that as well.

nah. Don’t even.

All fanbases have the worst people, theses no “some are worst then some other's”. You’ll noticed mostly the ones you hangout around with the most. Fanbases this big? You’ll get alienated from all directions if you spend too much time in any of the fanbases.

Like, I’m this thread. It was probably 3 folks that probably went overboard for BG3 winning in the last 2 pages or so. Everyone else was just run of the mill banter/humor.
Uhh, no. At least from my personal experience, SOME Nintendo fans are worse than other fanbases. Notice how I'm emphasizing "SOME". I've been around in other communities. Some of the stuff you'll find on this forum and others are worse than what I've come across in other fandoms.

Zelda continues to be underrated. shame.
Its big break will come...but for now I kind of enjoy getting to be a fan of the underground underdog...I'm not like other gamers. They'll probably "discover" it in 10 years but some of us got in on the ground floor.

I never understood why award shows became a thing in the first place. Do you need a trophy to tell you a movie/game/song/play/whatever was good?
It's all just advertising but people like the reassurance that the thing they like is definitely good or the righteous anger that the thing they like has been overlooked. I am in the latter camp, of course, because a game I wanted to win was snubbed for some turn-based game (I am referring to the Hello Kitty and Honkai Star Rail DEBACLE).

I love how the top of the Treehouse page is just all the rumor/“what is Nintendo bringing to the TGA”/Switch 2 threads at the top. I won’t go in but assume it’s just people screaming into the void that nothing happened.

I do feel like TotK didn't feel as well recognized as it should have given its technical achievements and the level of freedom it offered players. I don't feel like its a matter of it being snubbed though, more that the award categories don't really lend themselves to highlighting achievements like this. I kinda wish genre awards would move away for something that resembled best "moments".

Nintendo probably could’ve cleaned house with Zelda if the writing, story and voice acting was actually good. Felt like a bit of a afterthought when I played TOTK
It would’ve been nominated for more awards that are more suited to story stuff like best performance and best narrative, but BG3 still would’ve taken GOTY because it was a bigger deal for its genre imo.

While I think it was a decent show, the middle third was a real lull. The announcements early and late were phenomenal, but we hit that point where a lot of stuff started to blend together. Like everyone else mentioned, it would have been nice to focus more on the winners, but I understand that this event isn't free. Hopefully Geoff can strike a better balance next year.

Thanks for the fun chat this evening everyone!

Back
Top Bottom