• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

So... a question which might be only a minor spoiler but will tag

I found in one stage (1st world) a 3rd seed. I'm pretty sure there was no indication that there was a 3rd seed. Is that something that happens at some random levels / all levels?

I cannot get over how fucking huge this map is, god damn

I beat levels that keep unlocking branching paths and it's crazy

NSMB might actually have Wonder beat on Castle music
tbh both nsmb ds and wii big castle themes are some of the best mario castle theme ever so on that front it's a big hill to climb for wonder, I still like the new wonder composition but I especially like the airship theme in this game, much better than the mario bros 3 one.

Last edited:
So we got some more independent analysis of the movement from Digital Foundry in their article on the game, and this is what John Linneman found:

And hey, I'm glad to eat crow about the mechanical difference, I never liked the heavier momentum, especially for turning. If @RagnarokX reported the turning change (and I'd be welcome to any of his evidence toward the contrary) which would be affected by the momentum shift, then I see where the confusion may lie. But of course, John also emphasizes the effect the animations have:

So we have a mix here. NSMB physics as a base, changes to stopping momentum, and much better animation and key frames contributed to an increase in game feel.
I tested the specific scenario John demonstrated and can verify he is right and that momentum difference does exist in that scenario.

Testing it at p-speed and removing the jump as an extraneous variable:
NSMBU: Mario takes 7 blocks to stop from letting go of controls.
SMBW: Mario takes 4 blocks to stop from letting go of the controls.

However:
NSMBU: Mario takes 2 blocks to stop holding opposite direction.
SMBW: Mario takes 2 blocks to stop holding opposite direction.

I don't think his extrapolation of that to "basics of running and jumping are more responsive" is backed up. It doesn't seem like this momentum difference has a big impact outside of Mario coming to a stop faster when the d-pad is released. For example:
wondermomentum03.gif

If there was a huge momentum difference across the board these two examples would be very different yet they're near identical.

As someone who has played a lot of NSMBU,  something here feels different. Maybe it is just the animation, but it does feel unique.

Also: the Wonder Seed effect in the second level omg. I was crying.

My biggest take away now that I'm into world 2 is that people who grew up with Mario romhacks are now working on Mario, and they also pay attention to what the Mario Maker community is doing. There's a lot of moments that feel like a Nintendo spin on a crazy Mario Maker tech or something done in Lunar Magic.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My three year old son was laughing uncontrollably at this and then again at the hoppos.

I’ve been enjoying the game by myself as well, and played for an hour or so with my wife as well who also loved the game. it’s just magical that Nintendo can create such a pure experience of joy and wonder for everyone.
Mario is indeed back.

Imagine how they are going to implement Wonder in the next Mario Maker, being able to create your own wonder flower effects!

Played it yesterday and today for a few hours. I have to say I’m impressed. There are some genuine new ideas in there never seen before in a Mario game and all the animations and attention to detail really makes this game something special. Every level I played so far has had loads pf new enemies and new platforming concepts. Even without the wonder seeds the game is amazing. The wonder seeds are more like surprises and makes the game very replay-able.

The new P-switch music doesn't work at all imo. I'm not opposed to changing it, but good grief this ain't it chief.

That must mean it is still Samantha Kelly as Peach in Wonder, and presumably Showtime as well.

oh my god this game is amazing, it will go down as an alltime classic the same way Super Mario World did

speaking of it's going to be annoying when both are called SMW

This one isn't called SMW

As someone who has played a lot of NSMBU,  something here feels different. Maybe it is just the animation, but it does feel unique.

It’s not just the animation because it feels different from all of the different art styles in Mario Maker 2

I finished the game across a few sittings yesterday. Some quick impressions from me (promise it won't be as long as my Superstars impressions):
  • I was convinced by the visual style from the first trailer, but playing through the entire game, it's just gorgeous. They were in need of an overhaul and while I was initially rooting for all-2D based on the official artwork style, this won me over.
  • Swapped through all of the regular characters throughout my playthrough; though Daisy is who I started and ended the game with, so I guess she'd be my main? I think the new VAs all do a great job at capturing the characters; Luigi sounds the most different but I don't think an exact impression of Martinet is a requirement, in the end he's still identifiably Luigi. Tempted to revisit some levels as Yoshi now.
  • Even after following the leaks the game never stopped surprising me throughout, with solid level design and creative wonder effects; they never stop throwing in new ones right up to the end.
  • Online implementation was cute; I swapped between playing with it on and off but ended up leaving it on for a good chunk of the game. Weird that you can't choose exactly which standee you want to place, but in most circumstances I wasn't too concerned with that anyhow.
Few spoiler related comments:

• My only real disappointment with the game are the bosses; so few of them, and the ones that are there are mostly variants on Bowser Jr. Certain Wonder enemy encounters make up for this a little bit but it was still an absence felt. Definitely one area left open for a sequel to greatly improve upon.
  • Though, I actually do really like the varried world structures; on top of their individual little stories they all feel distinct just in their map layout alone. World 1 has many branching areas once you pass the first three tutorial courses; World 2 is a climb upwards with a few stops along the way; World 3 themes each level as a trial; World 4 has a lot of hidden secrets you need to keep an eye out for; World 5 is themed as a rescue expeditions into the mines / ruins; and World 6 has the palace at the very start with linear paths decending down, meaning you only need to explore as much as you want before progressing. Worlds 3 and 5 may not have palaces but their unique theming helps them stand out regardless.
  • Speaking of worlds, Petal Isles is such a great idea; a hub bridging them all together; and allowing you to play Worlds 4-6 in any order is really appreciated (even if I pretty much stuck to the numbered order myself, lol). Did have a good time marathoning the remaining Petal Isles stages after that point though.
  • The Special World levels were a blast; one of the most exciting things to learn from the initial leaks as a Mario World fan. Didn't have too much trouble with them besides the Semifinal Test and Final Final Test (not the Final Test) though; the others were tricky but only took a few solid attempts to get a perfect run.
F84iMXra8AA82ct

Will need to sit on it and decide if this is finally the one to overtake World in my heart, but first impressions say absolutely yes.

I tested the specific scenario John demonstrated and can verify he is right and that momentum difference does exist in that scenario.

Testing it at p-speed and removing the jump as an extraneous variable:
NSMBU: Mario takes 7 blocks to stop from letting go of controls.
SMBW: Mario takes 4 blocks to stop from letting go of the controls.

However:
NSMBU: Mario takes 2 blocks to stop holding opposite direction.
SMBW: Mario takes 2 blocks to stop holding opposite direction.

I don't think his extrapolation of that to "basics of running and jumping are more responsive" is backed up. It doesn't seem like this momentum difference has a big impact outside of Mario coming to a stop faster when the d-pad is released. For example:
wondermomentum03.gif

If there was a huge momentum difference across the board these two examples would be very different yet they're near identical.
The momentum is different the speed is different and the stopping power is different

All makes a difference to quality of gameplay

I finished the game across a few sittings yesterday. Some quick impressions from me (promise it won't be as long as my Superstars impressions):
  • I was convinced by the visual style from the first trailer, but playing through the entire game, it's just gorgeous. They were in need of an overhaul and while I was initially rooting for all-2D based on the official artwork style, this won me over.
  • Swapped through all of the regular characters throughout my playthrough; though Daisy is who I started and ended the game with, so I guess she'd be my main? I think the new VAs all do a great job at capturing the characters; Luigi sounds the most different but I don't think an exact impression of Martinet is a requirement, in the end he's still identifiably Luigi. Tempted to revisit some levels as Yoshi now.
  • Even after following the leaks the game never stopped surprising me throughout, with solid level design and creative wonder effects; they never stop throwing in new ones right up to the end.
  • Online implementation was cute; I swapped between playing with it on and off but ended up leaving it on for a good chunk of the game. Weird that you can't choose exactly which standee you want to place, but in most circumstances I wasn't too concerned with that anyhow.
Few spoiler related comments:

• My only real disappointment with the game are the bosses; so few of them, and the ones that are there are mostly variants on Bowser Jr. Certain Wonder enemy encounters make up for this a little bit but it was still an absence felt. Definitely one area left open for a sequel to greatly improve upon.
  • Though, I actually do really like the varried world structures; on top of their individual little stories they all feel distinct just in their map layout alone. World 1 has many branching areas once you pass the first three tutorial courses; World 2 is a climb upwards with a few stops along the way; World 3 themes each level as a trial; World 4 has a lot of hidden secrets you need to keep an eye out for; World 5 is themed as a rescue expeditions into the mines / ruins; and World 6 has the palace at the very start with linear paths decending down, meaning you only need to explore as much as you want before progressing. Worlds 3 and 5 may not have palaces but their unique theming helps them stand out regardless.
  • Speaking of worlds, Petal Isles is such a great idea; a hub bridging them all together; and allowing you to play Worlds 4-6 is really appreciated (even if I mostly stuck to the main order myself, lol).
  • The Special World levels were a blast; one of the most exciting things to learn from the initial leaks as a Mario World fan. Didn't have too much trouble with them besides the Semifinal Test and Final Final Test (not the Final Test) though; the others were tricky but only took a few solid attempts to get a perfect run.
F84iMXra8AA82ct

Will need to sit on it and decide if this is finally the one to overtake World in my heart, but first impressions say absolutely yes.
Thanks for impressions! How long did it take you to finish, roughly?

Pros:
+Badges are great, offering interesting replayability
+Wonder effects are much more imaginative than the demo led me to believe
+Overall the game captures the charm of 3D World in a 2D game

Cons:
-The music doesn't really do much for me
-The levels are generally too easy for me (and yet too hard for my 8 year old, even with Yoshi)
-The collection elements rub me the wrong way

Well, 14 hours from booting up the game to getting 100%, but I didn't play for 14 hours straight so probably closer to 12 hours? Feel like my time is a bit of an outlier though lol, I blasted through this.
Holy MOLY. Consider me impressed 😄 That seems like a great length! Should get through a bunch of it this weekend

Saw on the world 4 map a waterfall and thought "what if there's something behind it," and there was

We are SO back

Florian, you're a sweetheart, but I promise you that the badges will be used if I need them.

Last edited:
I thought nothing would beat the feeling of coming home from work and finally getting to play Tears of the Kingdom for the first time….

Buuut I’m finally home and ready to play Super Mario Bros Wonder for the first time and this is the most excited I’ve been all year!!

The game feels great to play. I don't know if it's just because of the new animations, but it's such an improvement over the New series

Currently running around World 4. I really like the online implementation here. Especially for the search party levels. Figuring out a puzzle that's been stumping you and a bunch of randos and leaving a standee behind as a clue before you leave just feels nice.

Both of my nearest Targets were completely sold out tonight. Fortunately the Best Buy in one of the plazas had plenty of copies behind the counter.

Let’s A Go!

and there's the remaining unconfirmed roles:

So for the cast of Wonder, that leaves us with:

rmrZs94.png

The end result: Mario, Luigi, Daisy and Nabbit have been recast; Peach, the Toads, Bowser and Bowser Jr. are still the same VAs. Given all of this Yoshi is almost certainly Totaka going uncredited; that's the result I already came to from pitch-shifting the new voice clips before this wave of cast confirmations. Kamek is unclear given the voice has notably changed in recent games (compare Mario Party's clips to Mario Kart Tour / 8 Deluxe), though unfortunately none of those games credit the voice; could still be Atsushi Masaki, could be someone else, but I imagine all of the misc voices (including Yoshi and Kamek) are EPD staff.

Last edited:
Still adoring the game, I’m pretty much at the halfway point of the game and I’ve mostly just small nitpicks for an otherwise incredible game, world 4 was incredible.
I’m also digging the soundtracks much more than I expected especially after some early impression here were not good, I’ve been whistling the main course theme all the time when I’m not playing. It’s not dkc level but it’s still pretty great.
What really surprised me was finding some pretty atmospheric levels, I never expected to see this type of levels in a 2d mario and the music is so good. This game has so much good in it.

1-5 wonder was weak and ended in two seconds for me but they can’t all be winners

Are the post level images saved anywhere? I just realized that you can access the latest one in the menu by pressing y but I didn’t catch that for the earlier levels

Really enjoying this game. Only played through the first world but you can tell they were brimming with ideas while developing. This game is kinda like if Super Mario World and 3D World had a baby. I feel like you can definitely tell where the 3D Mario team had some input in.

Ok the multiplayer ghosts can be distracting but it’s quite cool when you get a proper second player (I think?) and even cooler on the foreground background levels to see someone doing their thing away from you

Even hearing all day about the wonder flower int he second level, it still came as a shock what actually happened. Playing through the whole game with my wife. The 1st world just seems to keep going.

Once we're done as a team I think I'll go back and speedrun things. It feels like you can really fly through things once you know what you're doing!

Ok the multiplayer ghosts can be distracting but it’s quite cool when you get a proper second player (I think?) and even cooler on the foreground background levels to see someone doing their thing away from you
The ghost just make me wish we had a "real" online multiplayer option. Even if it required the online players to be forced to a single area like local, I wish it was an option.

This game is great. The level variety and the amount of stuff to find in the world maps is on another level from past games.

I can’t decide if I want the online activated or not. It’s definitely well implemented and a very cute feature, but I also find it a little too distracting? I’ve always been bad at finding secrets in 2D Mario, and I still miss them even when actively looking half the time, so one one hand it’s nice that other people will point them out with standees! But on the other hand, it doesn’t really feel satisfying to find a secret when someone else tells you exactly where to look. I think for most I’m going to do the first pass at a level without online, then maybe switch it on for replays.

Side note: this game is so ****ing good !!!!

Back
Top Bottom