• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

I can’t decide if I want the online activated or not. It’s definitely well implemented and a very cute feature, but I also find it a little too distracting? I’ve always been bad at finding secrets in 2D Mario, and I still miss them even when actively looking half the time, so one one hand it’s nice that other people will point them out with standees! But on the other hand, it doesn’t really feel satisfying to find a secret when someone else tells you exactly where to look. I think for most I’m going to do the first pass at a level without online, then maybe switch it on for replays.

Side note: this game is so ****ing good !!!!
Considering you're probably just going to end up youtubing the ones you can't find anyway, let the online ghost save you the time. That's been my mentality, and even then often the ghost I'm partnered with online are clearly all little Timmy's who can't find secrets to save their life.

The music of the castle is really bothering me. Every single Mario game has an amazing boss/castle music. And this one is non existent. It’s such a horrible mistake that I don’t understand how they let this pass.

It really feels like yoshi craft world. The game is amazing, but the music really Bothers me.

was it confirmed that our man kevin played the flowers too

It’s not him:

and there's the remaining unconfirmed roles:

So for the cast of Wonder, that leaves us with:

rmrZs94.png

The end result: Mario, Luigi, Daisy and Nabbit have been recast; Peach, the Toads, Bowser and Bowser Jr. are still the same VAs. Given all of this Yoshi is almost certainly Totaka going uncredited; that's the result I already came to from pitch-shifting the new voice clips before this wave of cast confirmations. Kamek is unclear given the voice has notably changed in recent games (compare Mario Party's clips to Mario Kart Tour / 8 Deluxe), though unfortunately none of those games credit the voice; could still be Atsushi Masaki, could be someone else, but I imagine all of the misc voices (including Yoshi and Kamek) are EPD staff.

Alright, sanity check. I’m up to the first castle, and am trying to 100% as I go. Every level has all collectibles filled and the green circle check marks on the course screen… except 1-2. I have the big coins, wonder seeds, and flag pole, but still no completion check mark. Are there things that count towards completion but aren’t indicated on the course page, like hidden exits from prior games?

Alright, sanity check. I’m up to the first castle, and am trying to 100% as I go. Every level has all collectibles filled and the green circle check marks on the course screen… except 1-2. I have the big coins, wonder seeds, and flag pole, but still no completion check mark. Are there things that count towards completion but aren’t indicated on the course page, like hidden exits from prior games?

There is in fact a secret exit in the second level. The game will tell you when you’ve found all wonder seeds in a world.

I'm kinda getting tired of the Wonder flower gimmick. They're often a drastic shift in style and tone right when the level is starting to get interesting. Often they replace the well design later 1/3 or 1/2 of the level where your skills from the first half should be tested. I like the wonder gimmick when the stage fully commits to it like the special worlds have so far, but I wish there were more pure platforming levels without them.

I'm entering world 4 for context.

I’m amazed at how many nods there are to the entirety of Mario. Like the KO Arena is a tribute to Mario Bros.

Yeah, this game is absurdly good. Can already tell this will be my favorite 2D Mario by a mile and a half.

Map music is lovely.

I... I kinda like this Luigi voice more than anything Martient has done in the last few titles. He's irreplaceable as Mario, but the new guy brings this sweetness to Luigi that's he has always had but has gone missing at some point.

The variety this game hits you with just in the first couple worlds is so great. Whether it’s multiple new (and returning) mechanics at once, in a level, levels of varying difficulty, or different level types like races.. I love it.

Also, big week for games making swimming less annoying with an optional power between this and sonic

I... I kinda like this Luigi voice more than anything Martient has done in the last few titles. He's irreplaceable as Mario, but the new guy brings this sweetness to Luigi that's he has always had but has gone missing at some point.
yeah his Luigi being different makes me wish he had given a bit more of his own take on Mario too

though I imagine that was never in the cards for brand reasons

The level design feels very reminiscent of Mario 3’s shorter, faster paced levels built around specific ideas.

Having played through most of the first world, I appreciate the visuals and the creativity. The Wonder effects seem like the star of the show for the surprise they offer. However, I don't think I'll love this game as much as many out there and on here. 3D Mario has been my preference over 2D Mario for a while now, and so far, this game hasn't been able to climb itself out of that inherent disadvantage to be something special for me. I'll keep playing, though! I hope the 2D Mario fans here are loving it.

I was excited about Toadette being playable from the moment she was announced but god I was not prepared for how CUTE she is here, her voice and all of her animations just melt my heart, she deserves everything

Just beat world 1. It just kept going on and on... I was impressed. Obviously nothing too crazy level design wise yet, but I'm digging it so far. Really love the world map. Love the remix of the underground theme in the poison swamp level. I love that one level is literally just Sunset Shores from DKCR. Oh, and it's pissing me off because I've 100% everything except the second level and I can't find what I'm missing. I may just use a guide, as I feel like my days of scouring a level for an hour or two just to find one thing are coming to a close.

Just had my coolest multiplayer interaction in one of the side mission puzzles - fun interacting with someone who pointed out one i was missing!

I've 100% everything except the second level and I can't find what I'm missing. I may just use a guide, as I feel like my days of scouring a level for an hour or two just to find one thing are coming to a close.
fwiw, there is a badge you can get later on that helps find secrets; it's sort of like how Squawks works in Retro's DKC games, so you might want not want to go to the guides just yet

As someone who hardly touched the challenge content in NSMBU/Pikmin 3, I love how Ninty is integrating it into the main campaign now!

Some of these badge challenges are getting tricky :)

hoping that there will be a forum sytle for Super Mario Wonder AKA Wonder Fami and we can do a
+yodelayheehoo

I was going to wait a bit to pick this up but all these positive posts about 1-2 has got me super curious about what happens...

Watched a friend play it and I am happy to say that pretty much any concern about this game being sub-par that I had before release has been crushed. This might be the greatest 2D Mario game of all time and I haven't even tried it out yet.

The online mode is actually pretty neat. I've had some Journey-esque moments with players hinting others towards secrets with the limited methods for communication, for example. I also like that it's not competitive at all.

The online mode is actually pretty neat. I've had some Journey-esque moments with players hinting others towards secrets with the limited methods for communication, for example. I also like that it's not competitive at all.
Is the online mode the default way to play the game? It seemed that way to me from pre-release footage but my friend was emulating the game (I know...) so I didn't get to see that aspect.

I'm kinda glad I used a Pro Controller initially so I could take a couple day 1 screenshots. But yeah, going forward I think a SNES controller is the right move
Yea, the lack of a screenshot button is the only downside to using the SNES controller, outside of the NSO apps. I wish Nintendo offered a solution but I'd imagine that there aren't too many of us playing with it right now.

There’s some seriously tricky stuff even in the first world. If the 100% requirement for the most difficult level is what I fear it is, that alone might take me 14 hours.

Back
Top Bottom