• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

Made it to world 3 and this is just an absolute joy to play. I get heavy Super Mario World vibes, particularly the little cutscenes at the end of each world.

Played with my boyfriend for a bit too, and yeah, the way the camera works is not the best but it's manageable for two players at least.

to keep discussion spoiler free but still talk about the game

mario wonder world 1 is hands down the best world 1 in any 2d game.

the amount of content and variety it introduces are immense, it only takes you 1 level before throwing you in the deep end, and starting with a savanna world and not a grassland world is such a refreshing thing.

what makes it better is a lot of the world is off the beaten path, with the underground and forest section.

Mario world still has the best 1st level of any mario game but as a world i think w1 in wonder is clearly atop the rest.

and i honestly cant think of any other world based platformer that beats it.

mario wonder world 1 is hands down the best world 1 in any 2d game.

the amount of content and variety it introduces are immense, it only takes you 1 level before throwing you in the deep end, and starting with a savanna world and not a grassland world is such a refreshing thing.
Thisssss

World 1 of Wonder reminded me of the latter areas in Mario World (especially Chocolate Island) where things were suddenly weird and surreal and huge and high concept. Chocolate Island almost had me feeling like the game sorta jumped the shark a bit because of just how off the rails its levels felt, but then Wonder is like that in the first world. I don't know how they'll keep up this level of creativity and surprise.

"Wonder" indeed, my god

my only critcism so far is that you cant seem to get multiple save files without a different profile? Am I wrong?

Just got to World 3. It's already impressive how most single levels in this game has more creativity than pretty much all of the New Super Mario Bro series. It's the kind of energy that 2D Mario games used to evoke all the time during the 8-bit and 16-bit days.

This could turn out to be the best 2D platformer since Tropical Freeze if it keeps it up.

They could have called this Super Mario Bros 5 and nobody would bat an eye.

Got the game yesterday after work, and yes please include me on the 1-2 train xD I was grinning the whole time and started to feel guilty about kicking the enemies there.

It's even more ecstatic if you start the wonder effect in that stage while being an elephant! The way the music blocks change their tunes to harmonize with the BGM is also genial. It's incredible that Nintendo hid the stage away from marketing materials and let the players experience it on their own. This stage certainly made a statement to me about the excitement of the journey ahead!

Where do you get the grapple vine badge?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it

Last edited:
This game reminded me that I actually love 2D Mario, it was just NSMB that turned me off the games. Just an absolute joy to play.

I was surprised booting up wonder, and not being greeted by a patch. This game was truly finished when the game card went gold.

Finally, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World have finally been beaten, at least in my book. The best 2D Super Mario Bros. game yet.

Finished the first 3 worlds 100% tonight including the first four extra hard challenges. This feels like the 3D Mario team made a 2D game and decided to bring out stiffer challenges more regularly which speaks to me so much. This is well on track to be my new favorite 2D Mario game if it isn’t already. Just an absolute blast to play.

Halfway through World 4 and loving the game so far. It is pure fun every second. I have to say that World 3 was a little bit dissappointing after the two amazing first worlds, but World 4 is magnificent again, so nothing to worry about.

I... I kinda like this Luigi voice more than anything Martient has done in the last few titles. He's irreplaceable as Mario, but the new guy brings this sweetness to Luigi that's he has always had but has gone missing at some point.

Yeah, Kevin's Luigi is incredibly sweet and endearing.

Finished up 100% at around 20-25 hours. Had an awesome time throughout and certainly my favourite 2D mario game.

Nothing too difficult except the final section of the final (final) level…

My brain simply couldn’t compute what I was seeing for almost 100 attempts…and then realising I’d have to go back and do it all again because of the flag…was so upset

Worst section of any Mario game ever. YUCK.

This game is really hard to put down. I need to pace myself so I don’t blow through the entire game in a weekend. It’s that good.

Also the search party levels are amazing with online players who are actually trying to help out.

The framing for World 3 is brilliant. It's a small detail but it gives the world and its level a theme which I don't think we've seen in a Mario platformer.

I was skeptical of the whole "the challenge is getting all the collectibles in a level" thing, but the difficulty really does feel just right when you play that way.

Only got a chance to play this for about an hour last night, but I’m loving it! Very charming and fun. Some of these Wonder Flower levels are bonkers! I love the unpredictability of what’s coming once you snag one. Love the level with the rolling hippos.

Game is beautiful and I love the animations. The controls are also very tight and feel great. Music is chill and fits.

Halfway through World 4 and loving the game so far. It is pure fun every second. I have to say that World 3 was a little bit dissappointing after the two amazing first worlds, but World 4 is magnificent again, so nothing to worry about.
I think Shining Falls is the best one so far despite the lack of a boss fight.

I think Shining Falls is the best one so far despite the lack of a boss fight.
I like the theme and the visuals, and certainly there are good levels. What bothered me was
The repetition of the same Wonder Flower effect in various levels and the absence of boss. It was also the shortest world, I think.

It's not a bad world by any means. I just liked it less than World 1, 2 and 4.

I need tips for Climb to the Beat because that one is brutal
I was also having a hard time with it. The tricky thing is that you naturally want to jump the beat but that doesn’t work. I basically went fast as I possible could but then used mid air spins to slow my pace if I started to get faster than the blocks.

Absolutely incredible game. It’s so nice seeing 2D Mario treated with such meticulous care after decades of it being a ‘by the numbers’ experience.

They thought out this art style so well, I honestly think it’s the best a 2.5D platformer has ever looked. 3D models with extensive key posing works so well in fighting games and seeing the method translate over to platformers is super exciting. I think a similar style would work wonders in a Mario & Luigi game.

I was also having a hard time with it. The tricky thing is that you naturally want to jump the beat but that doesn’t work. I basically went fast as I possible could but then used mid air spins to slow my pace if I started to get faster than the blocks.
Yeah I just finished it a while ago (after losing like 60 lives lol). It's tough trying to go just a little bit below top speed, but you can get a feel for it after (much) trial and error.

And that's it for my Mario Wonder playtime for the day lol I wish I had more free time

I think a similar style would work wonders in a Mario & Luigi game.
Oh that would be kickass!

I have really enjoyed the levels where the wonder flower is off the beaten path. I have enjoyed all of the wonder effects but I like them more when they’ve been a reward for exploring rather than a nearly unmissable element mid-level. Granted I am also only on world 2.

World 3 not having a boss fight is a welcome change of pace. This game is all about breaking the formulas seen in 2D Mario by the past. They may have specifically done it on purpose just because of
how the story of that world plays critically into it. It's supposed to be a rise to the top with a mentor archetype watching your every step and commenting on it before handing you the Royal Seed.
Besides, in what follows that world
you can essentially do an airship one or two levels later

World 3 not having a boss fight is a welcome change of pace. This game is all about breaking the formulas seen in 2D Mario by the past. They may have specifically done it on purpose just because of
how the story of that world plays critically into it. It's supposed to be a rise to the top with a mentor archetype watching your every step and commenting on it before handing you the Wonder Seed.
Besides, in what follows that world
you can essentially do an airship one or two levels later
They could have just included interesting boss fights instead of the same B Jr fight over and over, then you wouldn't be glad they skipped a boss.

They could have just included interesting boss fights instead of the same B Jr fight over and over, then you wouldn't be glad they skipped a boss.
Well, Bowser Jr has
four mechanically different boss fights across the game, it's not the same boss fight every time

Does anyone know how to get the blue checkmark to appear on the courses list after completing a level?

I have been able to get it on most of the levels so far, but for the second level it hasn’t shown up. I am curious if it is signaling there is a secret I haven’t found yet.

For those of you really wanting the Jet Run/speedrun badge, it's not something you find easily. I'm gonna a hint on how to get it for those interested.

You get it after finishing a World 1 Secret Exit. You unlock its challenge level

Does anyone know how to get the blue checkmark to appear on the courses list after completing a level?

I have been able to get it on most of the levels so far, but for the second level it hasn’t shown up. I am curious if it is signaling there is a secret I haven’t found yet.

There's a secret exit in the second level

pay Miyamoto $8 /s

There's a secret exit in the second level
Thank you, I was wondering if it was that or if I had to finish the level as Elephant Mario with water in the trunk.

edit: My reasoning being was I thought the little animation mario does with the popplin at the end as elephant mario while he has water in his trunk was so unique I thought it had to mean something.

Thank you, I was wondering if it was that or if I had to finish the level as Elephant Mario with water in the trunk.

edit: My reasoning being was I thought the little animation mario does with the popplin at the end as elephant mario while he has water in his trunk was so unique I thought it had to mean something.
That’s often my thoughts with this game- I look at everything and think ‘does that mean something?’ :)

this is definitely the best 2D Mario in a long time. for every nsmb I get bored one or two worlds in and drop it, that hasn't happened yet!

So, funny thing ... I started the game last night very stressed after a stressful hard day and I wasn't feeling the first three levels. I was like
83clhz.jpg

Then I took a quick break and came back and it instantly clicked from that moment forward. This game is just insanely good. I honestly was not a fan of 2D Mario as a kid as I couldn't stand how slippery the controls were, I found New Sup pretty bland and the older games felt odd to control. This game and Mario Maker 2, two games about the creativity of 2D Mario, really changed my perspective and showed how much fun you can have with that improvisational style of gameplay. This game just feels insanely good to control, and I can't stop wanting to smile at every level.
The people who were skeptical of the art style are also probably feeling REALLY foolish right about now it's me
The levels here feel perfectly crafted. Maybe I'm insane but they also seem like they're developed a little differently? Or at least how the ideal 2D Mario level would be made. There's this sense of speed and franticness in every level that usually only is apparent in a few levels in other 2D Mario games, but also almost every level accommodates exploration. They also feel a bit longer on average? At least than the NES trilogy. I'm not fair enough to say definitively, but if that's how the rest of the game is going to go I love it. It has the hectic nature of the NES games while keeping the slower exploration of Mario World.

I guess what I'm saying is, no matter how trying times get ...
83cmuq.jpg

This might end up being my second favorite game of the year. Crazy good.

Back
Top Bottom