• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
Famiboards Startopic | Super Mario Bros. Wonder - It's a Wonderful Extra Life by VolcanicDynamo | The banner uses the key art for the game. The Wonder Flower that Mario usually holds up is replaced by a glowing Famiboards logo in blue.

Release Date: October 20, 2023
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Price: $59.99
Number of Players: Single System (1-4), Online (1-4)
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo
Genre: Platformer, Action
Supported Play Modes: TV mode, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode
Game File Size: 3.5 GB
Supported Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese

A Wonderful Adventure Awaits!

Mario and his friends have been invited by Prince Florian to visit the Flower Kingdom, a land not too far from the Mushroom Kingdom. But their peaceful trip does not last long - Bowser crashes the party, with Bowser Jr. and Kamek in tow! Just one touch of a Wonder Flower causes the king of the Koopas and his Koopa Clown Car to merge with Prince Florian’s castle, letting him spread chaos throughout the Flower Kingdom. It’s up to our favorite plumber and his famous friends to save the day once again in this wild and wacky new adventure. Use new powers, traverse courses with no time limits, and explore a new world where new ideas bloom at the mere touch of a Wonder Flower.

The Flower Kingdom is a unique and diverse land of six world connected via a central archipelago. We have new spins on the traditional Super Mario world progression. The early grassy plains of Pipe-Rock Plateau give way for a rocky environment, an icy mountain gives way to a grand cloudscape in Fluff-Puff Peaks, conquer the challenges of the Master Poplin as you scale the Shining Falls, and much more. While the first three worlds must be visited in order, you can visit the last three (Sunbaked Desert, Fungi Mines, and Deep Magma Bog) in any order you wish.

A map of the Flower Kingdom and its worlds: Pipe-Rock Plateau, Fluff-Puff Peaks, Shining Falls, Sunbaked Desert, Fungi Mines, Deep Magma Bog, and Petal Isles. Castle Bowser is also pictured and noted on the map.

Each world contains a mixture of linear and open progression. Your main goal is to find Wonder Seeds - they work like the Power Stars, Shines, and Power Moons of the 3D Super Mario games. By collecting enough Wonder Seeds, you will be able to progress further through each world. But the exact path through each world will be up to you. Sometimes this comes with a divergent linear path, other times you have open areas where you can choose from a variety of courses. Collect just enough Wonder Seeds or collect them all - any play style is welcome in the Flower Kingdom.

There are multiple things to find on the World Map:
  • Standard Courses: Experience traditional Super Mario Bros. action in these courses. Reach the goal to save a Poplin and earn a Wonder Seed. Touch Wonder Flowers for wild challenges to earn another Wonder Seed. Some courses hide a secret exit, opening new paths and letting you earn an additional Wonder Seed. Each course also has three 10-Flower Coin collectibles to find, akin to the Star Coins and similar collectibles of prior games.
  • Break Time!: Complete the specified challenge to obtain a Wonder Seed!
  • Badge Challenges: Reach the goal using a specific badge. Finish the course to earn a Wonder Seed and the badge for use in other courses (if you don't already own it). These courses also contain three 10-Flower Coins to find.
  • Wiggler Races: Race against a Giant Wiggler on roller skates! If you win, the Wiggler will give you a Wonder Seed.
  • KO Arenas: Choose your preferred Power-Ups and defeat all of the enemies in each room! Clear these stages within a certain amount of time to earn up to three 10-Flower Coins alongside your Wonder Seed.
  • Search Parties: Look for the five Wonder Tokens hidden in these stages to collect a Wonder Seed. Bring along some buddies if you're having trouble finding them all!
  • Poplin Shops: Spend the purple Flower Coins you find in courses to get items, badges, standees, and even some Wonder Seeds.
  • Captain Toad: The good captain is exploring the Flower Kingdom! He's found in five spots - find him, and he'll give you 50 Flower Coins per location. Can you find them all?
  • Bonus: Coins Galore!: Get a Game Over or complete The Final Battle! Bowser's Rage Stage to access this bonus. Collect a barrage of coins - perfect for getting all of your lives back!
You'll need to find each of the Royal Seeds (one per World) to stop Castle Bowser and restore the Flower Kingdom. Save the Poplins, find Wonder Seeds, and stop Bowser’s latest scheme!

Some intrepid explorers may find the entrance to the Special World - each standard world has one entrance. The Special World does not have a Royal Seed, but it does contain extra challenging courses that will put your skills to the test. Can you complete each of the courses?

The Playable Cast

Super Mario Bros. Wonder features twelve playable characters - a new high for the series! Most of the characters have shared properties, as detailed below. If you're used to modern 2D Mario, you'll be right at home with any choice. You can walk, run, jump, spin jump, wall jump, ground pound, and perform a midair twirl as usual. The triple jump is no longer a part of the standard move set, but you can throw objects upward just like you could in Super Mario World.

In courses, you may find Invisible Character Blocks that hide bonus goodies. While any player may hit them (even if you can't see them), you'll only be able to see them if the right character is a part of the team.

Standard Characters

These characters all play the same. Pick your favorite and go on your adventure!

MarioLuigiPeachDaisyYellow ToadBlue ToadToadette
SMB_Wonder_Life_Mario.png
SMB_Wonder_Life_Luigi.png
SMB_Wonder_Life_Peach.png
SMB_Wonder_Life_Daisy.png
SMB_Wonder_Life_Toad_Yellow.png
SMB_Wonder_Life_Toad_Blue.png
SMB_Wonder_Life_Toadette.png
The Mushroom Kingdom's hero is now ready to save the Flower Kingdom. This red-clad plumber has done it all - but even he's in for some surprises this time!The younger of the Mario Bros. is just as super as his shorter sibling. His timid nature belies his incredible bravery - this is a plumber who won't let you down!The Mushroom Kingdom's beloved princess. She may have her own game coming out soon, but she has plenty of time to pay a fellow monarch a visit - and stop some baddies!Sarasaland's monarch joins the adventure with her Mushroom Kingdom pals! A flower lover such as herself will have lots to see and do in this kingdom.This brave little Toad is ready for this journey! He had the spotlight to himself in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, but now he and Blue Toad are together again.While the original Toad character may take on this fellow's look, this is the Toad from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. He's raring to go this time - no button combination required!From spinoff creation to lead character - what a journey! Unlike New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (but like in Super Mario Maker 2), she plays the same as the other characters.

Easy Characters

These characters take no damage from enemies, but they also cannot use Power-Ups. Watch out for lava, posionous pits - those will still take them out!

YoshiRed YoshiYellow YoshiLight-Blue YoshiNabbit
SMBW_Life_Yoshi_Green.png
SMBW_Life_Yoshi_Red.png
SMBW_Life_Yoshi_Yellow.png
SMBW_Life_Yoshi_Light-Blue.png
SMBW_Life_Nabbit.png
A mere mount no longer! The Yoshis take no damage from enemies - only some knockback! They can flutter jump, eat objects and spit them back out. In local co-op, other players can ride Yoshi - even if they're also playing as a Yoshi!.All of the Yoshis play the same, so this Red Yoshi doesn't have the unique fire spitting properties of his Super Mario World or Super Mario Maker 2 counterparts.Yellow Yoshis have helped our heroes out in numerous games. Now it's time to use his abilities for ourselves. Four Yoshis means that all players can use one if they so wish!The only one of the four Yoshis to not debut in Super Mario World or appear in Super Mario Run. Of course, that doesn't make this dino any less ready for the adventure!This sneaky thief is ready to steal the spotlight! While he lacks the fancy moves of the Yoshis, he doesn't even flinch from attacks, and any Power-Ups that he collects turn into Flower Coins!

Power-Ups

The standard characters start off in their small forms. Take damage while small, and you’ll lose a life. Protect yourself and gain new abilities by collecting Power-Ups! The classic forms introduced in Super Mario Bros. return, and they are joined by three new forms!

FormPower-UpAbilities
Elephant Form

A picture of Elephant Mario. Mario is a large, anthrophomorphic elephant in this form. He still sports his cap, shirt, overalls, eyebrows, and mustache of his human form.
Elephant Fruit

A picture of an Elephant Fruit. This red and white fruit sports the trunk and ears of an elephant.
Become a large elephant! Swing your trunk to take out foes and break blocks, hold water in your trunk to use on in-course objects, and run across two block wide gaps without worrying about falling down!
Bubble Form

A picture of Bubble Mario, who wears a pink cap/shirt and red overalls. He is blowing a bubble.
Bubble Flower

A picture of a Bubble Flower. It resembles a Fire Flower, but the stem is a light blue color and the flower sports a white, purple, and pink color scheme.
Blow bubbles that can defeat enemies. Bubbles can go through walls and defeat some enemies that fireballs can’t. You can even bounce off of your bubbles to reach higher ground!
Drill Form
A picture of Drill Mario, who wears a gray shirt and red overalls. He is drilling down using a drill that covers his legs.
Drill Mushroom

A picture of a Drill Mushroom. The mushroom's cap resembles a drill.
Wear a drill that aids in offense and mobility! Protect your head from oncoming enemies, Ground Pound to destroy breakable objects, burrow underground or into ceilings, and travel to new heights!

Take damage while in a powered-up form, and you’ll go back to your Super form. Don’t worry - you can carry a reserve Power-Up (one per local player) and summon them at any time.

Wonder Flowers

Super Mario games are no strangers to throwing idea after idea at players - Super Mario Bros. Wonder is no different. Touch a Wonder Flower in a course, and one of many Wonder Effects will occur. Once stationary Warp Pipes come to life and move around the course. A specific enemy type may flood a level, creating a stampede destroying everything in their paths or bouncing you around the area. Large foes come in to chase you, requiring you to think quickly to escape them. Our heroes may even be the ones affected, granting them temporary new forms that radically change the gameplay. Sometimes this means we have a classic power return or get reinvented, such as the Balloon Form. Other times, you're left in a more vulnerable position - try avoiding some hungry foes while playing as a Goomba! Or how about becoming super stretchy, or running along the walls in the background instead of on the floor? Embrace the fun and chaos of these wacky effects as constant twists and turns are thrown your way!

Wonder Effects end when you collect the Wonder Seed that spawns in - or in the case of timer based challenges, if you run out of time. Each standard course has a Wonder Flower - have fun seeing all of the effects!

Badges

Prince Florian (the little caterpillar fellow you can see with Luigi in the banner) joins our heroes on their adventure, and he can tweak our heroes’ abilities by equipping badges onto his crown. These can be obtained by completing Badge Challenges or buying them with Flower Coins at Poplin Shops found throughout the world map. Florian can wear one badge at a time, which can be changed on the world map or after a life is lost in a course. In Local Co-op, all players share the same badge (there's only one Prince Florian, after all!).

There are 24 badges total, divided into 3 categories:
  • Action Badges grant new abilities. Slowly descend to the ground with a Parachute Cap, propel yourself underwater with a Dolphin Kick, ascend up walls with a Wall-Climb jump, and more. Some classic abilities make a return as Action Badges, such as Super Mario Bros. 2’s Crouching High Jump!
  • Boost Badges grant passive perks. Earn coins by defeating enemies, find secrets more easily with a Sensor, survive falling into pits and lava with a Safety Bounce, and more.
  • Expert Badges grant advanced skills with tradeoffs, perfect for Mario pros. Render yourself invisible to enemies (and yourself), or constantly run forward at maximum speed (with some extra air time before you drop).

Local Co-op & Online

Play through the adventure with up to four players on the same system in local co-op! Like in Super Mario 3D World, all characters share lives, and they also share the equipped badge. Unlike in prior Super Mario games, players will now pass through each other - no worries about accidentally getting in your friends’ way! Additionally, the camera now follows a specific player (marked by a crown symbol over their head). If a player with the crown is defeated, it will pass to another player.

Should a player be defeated, they will turn into a ghost with limited control. Find another player, and fast! By touching them before a timer runs out, you’ll hop back into the game - no lives deducted.

If a player is controlling a Yoshi, another player may jump onto their back and ride them. The Yoshis can perform all of their abilities, and the player riding Yoshi can still use attacks granted by their current Power Up (such as throwing fireballs or swinging their elephant trunks). These Yoshis are resilient - they can carry other Yoshis and even the Elephant forms on their back with little issue!

Connect online, and you’ll be able to see other players on the World Map and in courses as Live Player Shadows! Up to 12 players can be seen on the map, and up to 4 players can be in the same level. While you are not directly on the journey together, you can send greetings to your fellow players via one of four emotes and provide them with reserve items. The ghost mechanic from local multiplayer is available in this mode, so you can save a Live Player Shadow who was defeated and vice versa. By placing a Standee in a course, you can give a ghost another place to revive from - collect more by buying Standee Surprises at Poplin Shops!

By reviving ghosts, gifting items, reaching the goal pole with Live Player Shadows and more, you can accumulate Heart Points. You can view the Heart Points and Nintendo Switch nicknames of other players by bumping into their Live Player Shadow or their Standee. Be a kind player and gather as many Heart Points as you can!

You can choose to go online with random players, or you can make a Friend Room for up to 12 players. Friend Rooms follow the same basic rules as the standard online mode with a few bonuses. You can see which players are in the room on the world map and see which course each player is playing. You can also compete in races by hitting the Race Block at the start of certain courses. The conditions to end a race depend on the course - sometimes you need to reach the goal pole, other times you may need to defeat the end boss or collect a Wonder Seed.

It is possible to play both local co-op and online at the same time. For example, a group of two local players can have up to two Live Player Shadows in the course they are playing.

A Note on Spoilers...

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is filled with surprises - many of which have not been revealed to the public! But not only has the game leaked early, but some players may simply get through the game faster than others. To that end, we have a simple policy: please tag all spoilers! While discussion of currently unshown or late game content is allowed, if you plan on discussing specifics, put them under a spoiler tag. Officialy announced or shown material is fair game, but even so, I do ask that people be courteous - we don't want to spoil the fun for those who haven't experienced the game yet!

If you would like a place to openly discuss spoilers (especially material from leaked copies of the game), check out the Spoiler Thread instead:

Trailers & Media

Reviews​

MetaCritic: 93 | Universal Acclaim
OpenCritic: 92 | Mighty

For more detailed discussion, check out the review thread!

Trailers​

Commercials​

Animated Shorts​

Developer Interviews​

Ask the Developer, Vol. 11, Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Shiro Mouri and Takashi Tezuka Answer All of Our Super Mario Wonder Questions | Kat Bailey, Ryan McCaffrey | IGN

Powering Up | Brian Shea | Game Informer

Just about 30 hours away for me. I hope this is the game that proves 2D Mario can be just as exciting as 3D Mario again.

Nice, I get to say the first wowie zowie in the thread.

Wowie zowie!

Brilliant ST.

Cannot wait for this, booked Friday off for a binge session with this and Spidey 2.

Still trying to decide if I’m using a voucher on this. Leaning yes, I’m going to be wiped out physically this weekend so I could really use something fun

Crazy enough, this so the first 2D Mario I’ve been super hyped for since the original New Super Mario Bros. Can’t wait to finally delve into an entry that has the same spirit and creativity as 3D Mario.

Great ST!

I have high hopes for this one. First time I'm excited for a 2D Mario game in a while (unless you count Maker 2).

Anyone played this here? If yeah, how difficult are the levels compared to other 2D MArio platformers?

thank you VolcanicDynamo for the awesome ST

a few more hours to digital unlock for AU NZ eshop and 4 hours for JPN eshop

Only 1 more day to go!!! I have a pretty busy weekend but I'm hoping I can squeeze in a couple hours early in the morning tomorrow.

Does anyone know when Nintendo usually has the digital versions unlock for playing?

Like, do they unlock a minute after midnight, or some timeframe during the daytime?

was really hoping target would “accidentally” ship my preorder early but i guess they don’t do that anymore? 😔

needless to say, so incredibly excited. some may say… more excited than TotK.

@Bonejack usually midnight, which it will be here in Australia in an hours time. I'll let ya know if I can get in then, unless they're running on AEDT in which case I'll also have to wait another hour 😅

My copy was dispatched yesterday, but I'm guessing I'm not lucky enough that it'll be waiting at home this evening. Wowie zowie though, I'm so excited! Not sure if I want to do a solo run or play through it more slowly as a cooperative experience first.

Couple questions:

• Can you play with the SNES NSO controller?
  • Is there a way to tell if a level has multiple exits like in Super Mario World where a red flashing dot next to the level indicates a secret exit?

Couple questions:

• Can you play with the SNES NSO controller?
  • Is there a way to tell if a level has multiple exits like in Super Mario World where a red flashing dot next to the level indicates a secret exit?
I'm playing with the d-pad and you can toggle motion controls on/off.

edit: i just went and plugged it in and played a level with it

edit2: there are secrets on the world map, it's basically the world map from Super Mario 3D World (in more ways than one)

edit3: had a course with multiple exits but they're not marked on the map screen. they all have a pulsing red circle around them but you can probably take a wild guess based on the amount of wonder seeds you can collect (if you're missing one, there might be a different exit)

Last edited:
Online reminds me of a less chaotic version of Mario Maker 2's online, which I like! Crouching/teabagging seems to be the main method of communication.

Online reminds me of a less chaotic version of Mario Maker 2's online, which I like! Crouching/teabagging seems to be the main method of communication.
the online stuff is so good. being able to help people and revive them or just show them where something is without it directly affecting your game is so cool.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a 2d platformer that could wow me at the 2nd level, this game is just special.

Quite excited to play this tomorrow with my 8 years old little boy.

2D Mario games are his way to go, so keep doing them Nintendo, lets' a go!

Back
Top Bottom