• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

I’m going to a midnight launch at my local GameStop! I’m so excited!

I have had to miss so many big launches this year, including the entirety of the Mario movie's theatrical run, due to being away from home for work - but the stars have aligned perfectly for me this time. I am sooo unbelievably excited to play this, and be able to once again share the experience with Fami.

Really liking the game, but Yoshi being locked to easy mode kills a lot of it for me. I don't really like any of the regular Mario characters 😔.

My copy wasn't waiting for me at home this evening and World of Horror got pushed back another week. This is not Wonderful!

(Enjoy, everyone, I might play World again while I wait)

World 1 was way bigger than I initially thought, with secret after secret leading to fun awesome things. You can definitely miss a TON if you just minimum path to World 2.

Now that I’m playing the game, I think what’s actually turned out to be the most refreshing change is the lack of a timer. As someone who likes to take my time when playing a game it’s just nice being able to backtrack and look for secrets without being rushed by the timer. Makes it feel pretty distinct from other 2D Mario’s not named Yoshi’s Island.

There's only 1 store in my town that carries new games, the place isn't open at midnight. I was told by one of the employees that at least a dozen people came in asking about Mario, so I guess I gotta wake up at 6am if I want a copy. oof

This game is incredible but what truly surprised me is how funny it is. If you’re muting the flowers you’re missing out.
I’ve now beaten world 1 and 2 and I can’t wait to play more of it, it looks gorgeous and it plays like a dream, the soundtrack is also great, while it isn’t on the level of a dkc game or a 3d mario it’s extremely catchy and pretty distinct. The badges are the real star of the game, even more than the titular wonder effects (which are super fun too), you’ve basically a new character by equipping an action badge while the special badges (which I’ve only got 1 for now) are the perfect way to have new way of replaying the game, I could see myself doing a play through of this game for each badge if it keeps up the quality for the entire game.

Now that I’m playing the game, I think what’s actually turned out to be the most refreshing change is the lack of a timer. As someone who likes to take my time when playing a game it’s just nice being able to backtrack and look for secrets without being rushed by the timer. Makes it feel pretty distinct from other 2D Mario’s not named Yoshi’s Island.
That’s one of the secrets sauces of yoshis island.

I'm actually surprised how different it feels to play compared to the last couple , there's definitely a very different weight to the movements, very cool.

Made a Nabbit buddy who was struggling with platforming and waited for them at the end 🥺

(No level spoilers! It's the end of one)

I had another player help me find one of the secrets in a certain stage earlier by just jumping and spamming the Speaker emote to guide me.

Really liking how multiplayer works on this after experiencing it.

Me looking at the mario wonder eshop page

hrU9bqV.gif

Really excited to see all of the positive buzz here. I'm especially curious to try that online with folks. I'm absolutely gonna be playing this one multiple times.

I won't be able to play until sometime tomorrow - getting the physical copy, let alone work and life stuff - but I'll try my best to be patient!!

played it last night via Japanese eshop and i was suprised there is no day1 patch , but it is addictive as the original SMB on NES

Woke up 1 hour ago and now taking a break cos i cannot find something to complete everything on World 1 , am moving off to World 2 soon

NSO icons available from Oct 20th to Nov 17th at 10am JST

Edit : Loving the online interactions for this game and Death Stranding , i do not like people to stress me similar to FFXIV LOL

Edit 2 : Playing this on a pro controller feels so good and motion controls turned off

Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow. Going in barely having seen anything. It's been a long time coming for a proper 2d Mario!

played it last night via Japanese eshop and i was suprised there is no day1 patch , but it is addictive as the original SMB on NES

Woke up 1 hour ago and now taking a break cos i cannot find something to complete everything on World 1 , am moving off to World 2 soon

NSO icons available from Oct 20th to Nov 17th at 10am JST

Edit : Loving the online interactions for this game and Death Stranding , i do not like people to stress me similar to FFXIV LOL

Edit 2 : Playing this on a pro controller feels so good and motion controls turned off

Oh shit, new Bowser icons!

Work is gonna be torture tomorrow, haha.

in line to pickup the game. I hate that half the reason the line is so long is because of Spiderman get these people out of my line 😭
When I went to go see Scott Pilgrim for the midnight release (back when theaters did that) it happened to be the same night that The Expendables released. The theater thought to make two parallel lines, one for each audience, and my god, the shit-talking between the two groups for like the hour that we waited to get in :ROFLMAO:

Now I'm not saying your store should split the line into Mario customers and Spoderman customers, but I did think for a second that it would help before I remembered that night. 😅

played the first three courses and explored the map a bit, I love it. it really does feel great to move around

Already in love with Super Mario Wonder and I’ve only played the first two levels. Favorite moments so far are Elephant Mario’s animation for going through the pipes, and the surprise Piranha Plant musical number.

First Level: Ok that was a fun use of the Wonder Flower but surely they won't...

Second Level Wonder Flower: ...
...This is the best Mario game ever made.

I cannot believe that Mario released a game with voice acting and musical numbers while it's SONIC that's mostly mute.

Finishied the first world, it really lives to it's reputation of wonder. Also really like when they just add funny things like the super long flag pole just because they can

So much little details in animations here and there that I got distracted bunch of times while trying out new things. Personally glad they removed the timer because I spent solid 1-2min just messing around before I proceeds to run the actual level.

A reminder: make sure you change the rumble feature in the settings menu IN THE GAME to high so you can hear the sounds that come from the joycons better. I wish I knew this when I started the game.

Wow

This is the best Mario has controlled since 3

Ridiculously good stopping power

I still can't help but chuckle every time someone says this when it's well documented at this point that it's basically identical right down to the frame level to NSMBU.

Could easily be a case study in collective consciousness with the internet and how they decided they hate that, with most never even touching it. And then, when they do actually play something identical in feel to it ...

Last edited:
No it’s really not
Raganarokx has done literal frame by frame comparisons and they are completely identical. There's no room for debate here.

Raganarokx has done literal frame by frame comparisons and they are completely identical. There's no room for debate here.
Okay but I just got done playing more than an hour of Wonder

They’re not the same

Okay but I just got done playing more than an hour of Wonder

They’re not the same
I mean, RagnarokX...also played the game, at least the demo, and he used that as part of his observation. Unless the demo plays significantly differently than the final retail game, I think he has a case here.

Of course, the one thing he mentioned potentially being different is turning around. So if that's what you mean by stopping power...

I mean, RagnarokX...also played the game, at least the demo, and he used that as part of his observation. Unless the demo plays significantly differently than the final retail game, I think he has a case here.

Of course, the one thing he mentioned potentially being different is turning around. So if that's what you mean by stopping power...
Well that and he’s faster so more like Mario 3

Back
Top Bottom