• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

This game sums up why I love Nintendo, you just can’t help but smile at every single part. Everything has that little touch that just makes it feel extra special

How could anyone possibly provide MORE detail in good faith, as the other poster put it, than literal frame by frame comparisons demonstrating they're identical? You're just replying with "No they're not because I say so"
As several other commenters have pointed out the momentum is different which is no way was disproven by a couple of side by side gifs

finally got the game and I am in fact stuck on the second level

I think I need the Elephant. Don't tell me though, I want to figure it out

Gonna be at work all day like

536qhd5w.jpg

To be fair, this is the first time I feel like being spoiled in a 2d Mario game just by watching official promotionals. The idea of wonder flower essentially brings out the best in surprises, so the less I know the better the experiences.

So are all of the Talking Flowers apart of a collective consciousness or are they different people? Why do they all have the same voice?

The sheer wildness of each wonder flower makes me want to go back to get any that I missed. Really clever way to encourage replays.

Only on world 2 but yeah I'm thinking this is easily gonna be my GOTY, game is oozing with charm, variety, and quality. The wonder flower mechanic is a gamechanger, and I have to admit as someone who wasn't a fan of talking flowers at first I've definitely come around on them.

So are all of the Talking Flowers apart of a collective consciousness or are they different people? Why do they all have the same voice?

They're going to be the final boss of the inevitable Wonder DLC.

(If this joke post ends up as real and you feel spoilered, don't shoot me, i'm just trying to make jokes.)

okay I feel like I got it like perfectly with the elephant and still didn't quite make it

so uh

is the red pipe in the musical number reachable with the elephant? yes or no only please

Finished the first world

Holy shit this game is good

I gotta go do stuff today but I just wanna plaaaaaay

Excellent ST @VolcanicDynamo ! I’m incredibly looking forward to picking this up after work (hopefully it’s not sold out locally) and sinking into it this weekend. Time to party like I’m 5 again 😁

Loving it so far. Just fantastic.

Still, I got shat on so hard here and elsewhere for saying this was NSMB 5 when it was revealed, but having played through the first world, that's exactly what it feels like.

But don't get me wrong.... that's great! While the NSMB series started poorly, NSMBU was really really good, and this is a massive, massive leap forward in effort, creativity, and visuals from that - as you'd expect after a decade with Nintendo in such incredible software development form.

I really think the existence of the two Mario Maker games helped Wonder. Because Nintendo had to make levels here that felt like they couldn't in any way be made or even approximated in Maker (or otherwise what are you even paying for?) As a result, every single level has a new enemy, a new gimmick, a hook. And while that was also kinda the case with SMB3 and World back in the day, these hooks are higher-effort than ever. Putting the magical piranha dance so early in the game is them wanting to show you that right away. That's more than a hook. That's a set-piece. And a phenomenal one.

The NSMB series never really felt like a high-budget thing. Like Nintendo knew that Mario gameplay and the Mario brand would carry the games anyway. This, on the other hand, feels premium all the way around.

Only quibble so far is that it looks like they've gotten rid of the Koopalings for Bowser Jr? That's never acceptable. And frankly, having Bowser as the boss again is the one part of this that feels stale. Everything else is so fresh. The badge system, in particular, is brilliant.

Have to break for now but made a couple GIFs on the way out. I’ll spoiler tag ‘em for those who want to keep the surprise! They’re from the first hour or less of the game. Been having a blast so far.

H5kz0j2.gif

QlzeeY0.gif

Stopped at Target on the way to work this morning to pick this up for my husband and I, but they couldn't find the shadow boxes so they took down my number in case they found them so I could come back. Get the call shortly after I get to work that they found them and will hold them for me.

Can it be 4pm yet so I can rush home and play this?

Got to play 2 levels last night before bed (darn you adult hood and having a carreer!). From the bit I played, I can already tell this will be a very pleasant game, it gave me the same vibes I felt when I played 3D World for the first time. Excited to play more with my nieces and nephews later today!

So we got some more independent analysis of the movement from Digital Foundry in their article on the game, and this is what John Linneman found:

I initially discovered that the standing jump is virtually identical between Wonder and New Super Mario U. Press the button and they both reach the apex of their jump at the same point before dropping back down. I tested other scenarios and found that they were similar too, yet I could feel there was a difference - so what's going on? It turns out there's one big change that has a significant impact on the feel of the game - momentum.

In short, Mario maintains momentum much longer in the New Super Mario Bros games versus Mario Wonder. It is specifically this element which lends the New series that heaviness people complain about. Adjusting to the scenery and making precise maneuvers simply feels more satisfying in Wonder as a result - at least to me. That increase in responsiveness is key, but it's not the only major upgrade over the previous 2D Mario titles - so let's talk about the the game's presentation. [He then goes on to talk about the key frames]
And hey, I'm glad to eat crow about the mechanical difference, I never liked the heavier momentum, especially for turning. If @RagnarokX reported the turning change (and I'd be welcome to any of his evidence toward the contrary) which would be affected by the momentum shift, then I see where the confusion may lie. But of course, John also emphasizes the effect the animations have:

This is all stuff that New Super Mario Bros never managed to accomplish - and, compared side-by-side, Mario's pose in Wonder feels like key art whereas in Mario U, he carries a somewhat limp appearance. The animations there lack specific poses to accentuate Mario's movement. Combined with the increased momentum in the New Super Mario series, it helps explain why that game feels heavy and sluggish compared to Super Mario Wonder. The devil is in the details.

So we have a mix here. NSMB physics as a base, changes to stopping momentum, and much better animation and key frames contributed to an increase in game feel.

and much better animation and key frames contributed to an increase in game feel
The animation does wonders (heh) for the game feel. It contributes to the feeling of responsiveness, and before you know it, you're in the zone.

okay I feel like I got it like perfectly with the elephant and still didn't quite make it

so uh

is the red pipe in the musical number reachable with the elephant? yes or no only please
(Spoiler) It should be reachable with the elephant

I played about an hour and I have to say that this Mario Wonder is exactly the 2D platformer I've wanted for a long time. The New series was good, but very far from the glories of the 90s chapters. With Mario Wonder it seems that that magic has been rediscovered. It is a fresh, original, inspired game, capable of surprising at every stage. Every aspect has been taken care of, from the graphics to the animations, up to the music which is adorable. ✌️🙂

Beat the first world this morning. It’s pretty good! I’m not amazed like I felt while playing Odyssey, but I’m definitely enjoying it. I’m hoping the difficulty picks up a bit in the next world, as I only died on one single level so far.

Stopped at Target on the way to work this morning to pick this up for my husband and I, but they couldn't find the shadow boxes so they took down my number in case they found them so I could come back. Get the call shortly after I get to work that they found them and will hold them for me.

Can it be 4pm yet so I can rush home and play this?
My boyfriend went to Target to try and get the shadow box for me, but apparently the only store that got one around here is quite far away. Oh well, probably don't need more clutter anyway, haha.

With the standees, when you connect online and leave them in a level, do they randomly appear in other people’s games too? Or does it only last in the level as you are playing it and only visible by those who are also playing in the level the same time as you?

The online component is amazing. In one of the hardest levels where I actually died 3 or 4 times along with other people, at some point we just organized naturally and wait for someone to either reach a safe platform or to revive them if they fail. I was the first one that made it to the other side and waited there to saved someone who couldn't made the jumps, but the thing is everyone waited for the last player to make it to the other side and went through the pipe together, all without words

My son was in a bad mood so I fired up 1-2 and he was laughing in moments.

I guess C's do get degrees!

Seems like you can't turn off ghosts whilst still having other online components on. Shame, some of the stuff with standees and whatnot seem cool but I don't want other people running around my level.

The game is sooo good. But…
I started the game in multiplayer and honestly it’s not as fun as the previous 2D Marios in that regard. It’s missing the collisions and interactions with the other players. Jumping on the head of someone to get the coin, that you missed because you killed the required enemy. Or ground-pounding on the other player or grabbing them. It all added so much fun and chaos to the multiplayer and thats missing here. I also would‘ve liked to have the point system in the game and have it work similar to 3D World. That way you could still compete with the others on who was the best and fighting for the crown.

So glad I avoided most discussion about this game pre-release. What a treat this is

Thank god it's the weekend lol

I'm just so damn happy playing this, I'm like a kid in Disneyland. It honestly feels more like a straight successor to 3D World than any of the 2D games in terms of pure vibes (and the overworld) and that's awesome.

Also LOVE the reuse of that whistle-y synth patch from Lake Lapcat in Bowser's Fury at several points in this game... Hits me right in the feels

I was spoiled about 1-2 but I'm glad it was so early in the game. It was also exactly after being spoiled that I finally did my preorder, because it was just so good.

Question for those playing SMW - I played game for couple hours last night and stopped at 2:30am (and paying for it right now lol).

I noticed when I press L button to look at previous courses, there's a faint green "circle" (but not an actual circle, just roughly a circle, more like a stamp), what does that indicate?

I have a course that seems to show everything is fulfilled (have all wonder seeds, 3 purple coins, flag icon), but no green stamp, while my other fulfilled ones have that green stamp. Anyone know what I'm referring to? If so, does that mean I have potentially more secrets to find in that course, despite the icons seeming to show I have everything already?

im curious to meet one person who prefers NSMB graphics to these lol
As a big defender of NSMB, no obviously Wonder looks better, I never denied that. All I've ever said is that the way this game plays is far closer to what I expected NSMB Switch to be then it is to say SMB6 (if we call World SMB4 and the entire New series SMB5). This isn't a bad thing as I love the NSMB series, though it causes people to see red when this game is compared in anyway to the New series.

Question for those playing SMW - I played game for couple hours last night and stopped at 2:30am (and paying for it right now lol).

I noticed when I press L button to look at previous courses, there's a faint green "circle" (but not an actual circle, just roughly a circle, more like a stamp), what does that indicate?

I have a course that seems to show everything is fulfilled (have all wonder seeds, 3 purple coins, flag icon), but no green stamp, while my other fulfilled ones have that green stamp. Anyone know what I'm referring to? If so, does that mean I have potentially more secrets to find in that course, despite the icons seeming to show I have everything already?
from what I can tell, that'd mean you missed a secret exit and thus an extra wonder seed—it doesn't show the dotted outline wonder seed on the menu for the ones you get from secret exits, but you don't get the green checkmark until you've actually gotten all seeds, 10-coins, and touched the top of a flag

from what I can tell, that'd mean you missed a secret exit and thus an extra wonder seed—it doesn't show the dotted outline wonder seed on the menu for the ones you get from secret exits, but you don't get the green checkmark until you've actually gotten all seeds, 10-coins, and touched the top of a flag
Awesome, more stuff to find then! Thanks!

As a big defender of NSMB, no obviously Wonder looks better, I never denied that. All I've ever said is that the way this game plays is far closer to what I expected NSMB Switch to be then it is to say SMB6 (if we call World SMB4 and the entire New series SMB5). This isn't a bad thing as I love the NSMB series, though it causes people to see red when this game is compared in anyway to the New series.
Fair point! I did strictly mean graphics

Back
Top Bottom