• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Super Mario Bros. Wonder |ST| It’s a Wonderful Extra Life

So what characters are you all using/planning to use? I'm mainly switching between Luigi, Peach and Toadette (who I wasn't expecting to play but her Elephant form is actually cute compared to everyone else)

Just beat world 2 after 3 hours and change of nonstop playing. Some general stray thoughts:

-Holy shit these maps are BIG. I kept going through world 2 thinking I was almost at the castle but more levels popped up. I was a little worried maybe I'd blast through the game but I can see it taking me all weekend to reach the credits. And the levels themselves seem dense with secrets - heck, the map is also.
-It really does feel like a spiritual successor to SMW. They even have a literal rip of the bonus theme from the game in here lol
-Visuals are charming as hell, I can't get enough of Mario's crouch animation where he hides under his cap.
-I laughed out loud during at least one Wonder effect.
-Elephant Mario is cute but I am still not totally loving it. Feels like more of an afterthought that was thrown into a game not really designed to take advantage of its unique attributes. Maybe that will change. So far I think Bubble is definitely my favorite (I love that the bubbles pop on Spinies and don't hurt them!).
-Music is pretty solid, while it's no 3D World I can already tell there are several tracks I will listen to later.
-I didn't expect so much dialogue and text. Not so much a complaint as an observation.
-Still bummed Yoshi is a handicap character, so for now I'm sticking with Mario.
-So far I feel like they are struggling to make the water levels as vibrant and interesting as the other ones, but maybe that will change.

Overall l'm having a blast with the game. While it's definitely a successor to the NSMB series, it really does feel like the proper refresh 2D Mario needed. It's too early to tell much more about it, but I think this is a great basis for the series going forward. Can't wait to play more.

Last edited:
I mean, RagnarokX...also played the game, at least the demo, and he used that as part of his observation. Unless the demo plays significantly differently than the final retail game, I think he has a case here.

Of course, the one thing he mentioned potentially being different is turning around. So if that's what you mean by stopping power...
Seems like Mario doesn't have as much momentum when letting go of the controls, which likely impacts quick stopping and turning.

Forced myself to stay awake past midnight and played the first two levels.

... The Wonder Effect of the second level already makes this a 10/10 game. Never laughed so hard at a Mario game.
Almost woke up the kids ... couldn't keep it in. Just too damn funny.

Neat little touch: if you finish a level in elephant form with water in your trunk, at the end of the level you’ll spray the Poppin and their flower will bloom.

Also the taking flowers are great, stupid voices and all.

Also the taking flowers are great, stupid voices and all.

You know, i might just have misheard or misremember ... but i could swear that in the german version of the game, the flowers are voiced by the guy who also voices Sanji in the german One Piece dub.

Makes it extra dumb funny.

I like playing the online mode, but do we know if collecting Heart Points even does anything other than being a number you make bigger?

Found a cool overworld secret in the first area, which lead me to
Captain Toad!
It isn't just a glorified level select screen.

Okay but I just got done playing more than an hour of Wonder

They’re not the same

There is literally video in the post I just linked you to showing that they're identical.

It's just a funny curiousity to me that a game that is far closer to NSMB than anything else in the series, by a huge margin, has to be repeatedly compared to world because a chunk of the internet has spent a huge amount of effort convincing itself that anything related to the NSMB branding at all is bad and an offense to even be compared. When the actual answer is that the new series were always good and it's a bit vindicating to see what is effectively new super mario bros 5 getting the recognition the series always deserved.

Edit: purely talking about how the game controls here, since that might be unclear...

Last edited:
There is literally video in the post I just linked you to showing that they're identical.

It's just a funny curiousity to me that a game that is far closer to NSMB than anything else in the series, by a huge margin, has to be repeatedly compared to world because a chunk of the internet has spent a huge amount of effort convincing itself that anything related to the world branding at all is bad and an offense to even be compared. When the actual answer is that the new series were always good and it's a bit vindicating to see what is effectively new super mario bros 5 getting the recognition the series always deserved.
There's an upcoming DF video about Wonder that goes into detail about this. Yes, it's very similar - and sometimes identical - to NSMBU in many respects, but there is apparently a difference in how momentum is being handled. That combined with the improved animation probably goes a long way to improve game feel.

It's just a funny curiousity to me that a game that is far closer to NSMB than anything else in the series, by a huge margin, has to be repeatedly compared to world because a chunk of the internet has spent a huge amount of effort convincing itself that anything related to the world branding at all is bad and an offense to even be compared. When the actual answer is that the new series were always good and it's a bit vindicating to see what is effectively new super mario bros 5 getting the recognition the series always deserved.

Edit: purely talking about how the game controls here, since that might be unclear...
K

How is the difficulty level? I want to dip in but maybe I will wait until there's some sort of discount

There is more input lag in the NSMB games, so the games feel much heavier. Stuff like turning speed is slow. It's why you can't just compare jump high and call it conclusive, games need to be played to get the full picture. It didn't help that all NSMB games reused most of the same animations from the DS original and the aesthetics have remained stagnant since 2006. Saying the NSMB series had gotten stale and was playing it safe is one of the least controversial gaming opinions you can have

Compared to Wonder where Nintendo completely overhauled everything with a new engine. So it's a bit disingenuous to say that they are the same. They feel nothing alike after playing Wonder for two hours.

I’ve always said that if NSMBU had a much more appealing art style. It would be looked at more fondly
If any of the NSMB games (minus 2 on 3ds) were the only one, the gamer bubbles blind hatred for them wouldn't exist. NSMB2 is still great, but the coin gimmick would have felt bizarre if there were only 1-2 NSMB titles.

How is the difficulty level? I want to dip in but maybe I will wait until there's some sort of discount
I'm about 80% through and haven't needed to replay a level more than 2-3 times.

Really great game and loving my first playthrough, but probably won't revisit it.

Forced myself to stay awake past midnight and played the first two levels.

... The Wonder Effect of the second level already makes this a 10/10 game. Never laughed so hard at a Mario game.
Almost woke up the kids ... couldn't keep it in. Just too damn funny.

I literally replayed 1-2 right away just because of that Wonder Effect. So glad nothing spoiled me on that, it was the best surprise.

If any of the NSMB games (minus 2 on 3ds) were the only one, the gamer bubbles blind hatred for them wouldn't exist. NSMB2 is still great, but the coin gimmick would have felt bizarre if there were only 1-2 NSMB titles.
"gamer bubbles blind hatred" or legitimate criticism?

There is no need to pretend that people hated on the NSMB series just because. No one has ever denied that the level design was solid or the controls were good. But after 3-4 games, they were the representation of the most boring, uninspired and flat side of Nintendo. They didn't reuse just the aesthetic for 4 games in a row, they reused the music, the sound effects, the enemies, the world themes and progression...So, on one side you had the most creative Nintendo giving lessons to the industry with the 3D Mario branch, and on the other side you had the Nintendo that played absolutely safe, didn't take any risk and seemed not to have any single new idea. And that was all the 2D Mario representation we had for more than 15 years.

The "hate" towards NSMB couldn' be more understendable.

I could only play the first 3 levels, but the second and third ones already took me by surprise, I'm loving it!!! The animations are really fluid and exhume personality, this is a huge step forward from NSMB.

It's absolutely fantastic how good eveything feels and I'm not talking only about Mario's controls. Just pressing a button on the UI feels smooooooooth, it's clear that Nintendo has put a lot of attention over the tiniest detail.

Once I'm out of work I'll dive all in, LET'S-A-GO!!!

Dear lord, why do I have to work? Are you telling me I need to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours before playing the new Mario game?

Well it's 5am now.. maybe I should go to sleep, this game is way too good.

Also Nintendo please patch the game so I can turn off yoshi's invincibility, he is so fun to use but makes the game too easy.

I haven’t finished world 1, but this is 100% better than any new super mario game. Even better than 3d world too.

Oh my god the second level's wonder flower. Incredible stuff, laughed so hard.

Still on World 1 but it's a fantastic start so far.

All of these new voice clips are so refreshing! I’m playing as Luigi. “So nice!”

The wonder effect in level 2 is all I need to see, this is already up there for me on the list of favorites lol.

Last edited:
This game just ooooozes polish. I can even see lessons learned from Maker in the menus!

Omg the bulrush out in the fields on the map.

Only played the first world on my lunch break, but this is amazing. No idea what to expect with each level, and the removal of the time limit, it being fast to restart a level and them being fairly short means experimentation is so much fun. I’ve had a huge grin on my face for the last hour.

Honestly ... if you feel down and don't wanna go into the weekend feeling down, play this game.

I'm simultaneously impressed and... weirded out by Afghani's Mario. He's very close to Martinet's take but at the same time it still feels kind of wrong. Not a hit against the man, of course, he has big shoes to fill and does so really well.

So what characters are you all using/planning to use? I'm mainly switching between Luigi, Peach and Toadette (who I wasn't expecting to play but her Elephant form is actually cute compared to everyone else)
I'm boring, so probably just Mario for the initial first playthrough. On replays though, Daisy.

Though with the lack of timer and people comparing the exploration to Yoshi's Island, a Yoshi-only playthrough might be warranted at some point.

Only played the first world on my lunch break, but this is amazing. No idea what to expect with each level, and the removal of the time limit, it being fast to restart a level and them being fairly short means experimentation is so much fun. I’ve had a huge grin on my face for the last hour.
Same impressions from going through the first world. It’s so jolly and playful! And there are so many secrets, I had to really look for a few of them.

Probably gonna just take the afternoon off work, get my copy of Wonder and order a pizza or something.

Hurry up work! Even worse, I don't have much to do today, so I'm mostly just waiting! Can't wait to get my copy!

OK, whoever at Nintendo came up with the second level's wonder flower, made sure it's in the game's second level, and then kept it hidden from all trailers, deserves a damned raise.

Amazing start so far

played through (I think) every course in world 1 this morning. what a lovely game! some of the more secret levels toward the end of the world are especially delightful, including one particularly surprising wonder flower segment.
I thought I’d find the talking flowers really annoying but I even like those—upbeat, wacky vibes all around

Played through most of world 1 last night. I’m glad I went mostly media blackout because each level is such a surprise. Level 2 feels like a statement.

Fake edit: and as I write this, two other posters commented on the same thing

Back
Top Bottom